Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Just got my new iPad in and am loving it so far, but there's one thing that's been bothering me. I set the wallpaper to some of the ones here to test out, and they look fuzzy, like they're being stretched. Am I missing something obvious? (first iPad, so obvious solutions might be the correct ones)

It does it on multiple pictures, but the included ones look okay. Could it have resized them when I uploaded them to dropbox or imported them from there into photos? I have no idea how to check the file size or dimensions in Photos. :(

If you experienced this with mine, be sure you didn't download the previews I uploaded here - I have the full-sized ones on my site, rogueplanetart.com (free of course - just trying to keep track of things a bit better and promo my work).

Hope you got everything working ok.

For the ones that were less than 2048, the resizing them up is what made them blurry. As for those that were greater than 2048, which program were you using to crop them? Also which format were you saving to?

I've used Photoshop, first by cropping to the aspect ratio I want with the part of the frame I want, then using "save for web and devices" to do the resize, with quality set to 80.

Last edited:

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I've used Photoshop, first by cropping to the aspect ratio I want with the part of the frame I want, then using "save for web and devices" to do the resize, with quality set to 80.

Wait, by "look off", did you mean they look blurred or that they didn't look right on the screen?

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Wait, by "look off", did you mean they look blurred or that they didn't look right on the screen?

I never found any of mine to "look off" - though sometimes Photoshop when displaying at a certain zoom percentage (IE 66.7%, or 33.3%) then it will look a bit off at that moment. It'll resume looking proper once zoomed to 25, 50, 100, etc.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
This thread is making safari crash on my new iPad on image intensive pages, anyone else got that too?
Yeah, this happenes on one page in particular, I forget the number, it the one where the first image is the yellow gecko. Too many awesome images even for my new iPad to handle, lol. :D

----------

So many ugly wall papers they hurt my eyes. And I thought apple users had better taste..
Not every image has to be used for a home screen. I use the more complex images for my lock screens, and the simpler, less busy ones for my home screens, to highlight the icons.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I've got an 8000x8000px photo of the earth that I use on my desktop at work. I could cut that down to a decent iPad size & host it if people want it on here.

I'll certainly be using it! :D
(just quote me so I get the notification, or PM or whatever)

That would be awesome!

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

quinn222

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Tried out some of the wallpapers here and it turns out that while many are the correct size they are at the wrong resolution and thus look terrible. The sizes and resolution both need to be correct:

2048-by-2048 pixels at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

If you don't set the ppi to 264 they are going to look less than wonderful on the new display.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Tried out some of the wallpapers here and it turns out that while many are the correct size they are at the wrong resolution and thus look terrible. The sizes and resolution both need to be correct:

2048-by-2048 pixels at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

If you don't set the ppi to 264 they are going to look less than wonderful on the new display.

Can you try mine and let me know how it looks? I used Pixelmator and specified 264ppi when I was messing with it, but I am not exactly an expert. I looks good on mine, but I am biased. :D

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14538862/

edhawk1965

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
My attempt for Alabama fans. I'm not sure how it'll end up cropping as you switch from portrait to landscape...

Someone who can beat me to it, tell me how this lines up on the screen. I'm planning to add the championship dates to it after it's tested out.

Could you do something similar for KU, with a blue background and a Jayhawk on it? Much appreciated!!:D

wy2sl0

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Just to let you know, PPI is irrelevant in computer terms.

PPI = Pixels per inch. It is merely a measurement as to how many pixels are in a given area squared. Now, by setting a resolution I.E 2048x2048 you are defining the size of the picture, irregardless of the PPI setting. Where PPI becomes relevant, is if you are setting measurements for sizing of a picture.

If you wanted 264 PPI and needed a picture to be 4" by 6", then PPI would be used.

Why some of the wallpapers are looking terrible is because people simply resized them. Depending on the program used, nothing can really create something from nothing - so the increase in size results in alot of empty information being filled in by the enlarging program (not always accurate, which creates the blurry effect).

simba2585

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Quite a few of the wallpapers are showing as 1024x 1024 when I view them on my iPad. Why is that?

----------

Just thought I'd add my results. I've tried various pages of this thread on my new iPad (including page ten), and I got the same results as ZBoater; loaded slowly, but no crashes.

Hmm sorry I should have been clearer, it doesn't crash but it becomes VERY slow to operate safari.

quinn222

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Just to let you know, PPI is irrelevant in computer terms.

PPI = Pixels per inch. It is merely a measurement as to how many pixels are in a given area squared. Now, by setting a resolution I.E 2048x2048 you are defining the size of the picture, irregardless of the PPI setting. Where PPI becomes relevant, is if you are setting measurements for sizing of a picture.

If you wanted 264 PPI and needed a picture to be 4" by 6", then PPI would be used.

That is only true for a standard display at 72 ppi. If you want something to look really good on a display with a higher ppi you need to bump the ppi as well.

Smug Boy

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
Since the file sizes are too big to put as attachments here, I'm gonna put the the download links for them. The images attached to the post are a preview of all the wallpapers I've included in the links along with the names on them so you know which download link to click. I'll update this post every time I upload some new wallpapers.

From Dropbox regarding your links:

"This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled! "

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
That is only true for a standard display at 72 ppi. If you want something to look really good on a display with a higher ppi you need to bump the ppi as well.

Pretty sure the iPad, like the iPhone, will display an image not at the image's dpi setting, but at the pixel dimensions relative to its display. IE, if the image is 2048x2048, regardless of dpi, it'll show you 2048 pixels instead of half that when it's the background image.

Edit: just tried this with my iPhone 4s - dpi setting does not affect how a background image is displayed.

Last edited:

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
The Dropbox app is downsizing images when you save them to your Camera Roll. I had to login to the site in Safari and download the images from there, it then downloads the full 2048x2048 images.

It appears that syncing with iPhoto also downsizes the images also.

The best way to download these wallpapers is directly on the iPad through Safari, or by emailing yourself full-size versions and saving through Mail app.

quinn222, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you don't know what you are talking about.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Could you do something similar for KU, with a blue background and a Jayhawk on it? Much appreciated!!:D

KU? University of Kansas?

If so, yeah. I'll get to it over the weekend. Any pattern in mind? Or is the houndstooth okay for you too? :p

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
From Dropbox regarding your links:

"This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled! "

Haha, I got the email this morning from them saying it will be disabled for three days. I'll add a note to my post saying that's the case. I really wasn't expecting so many people to download them. I'll move them to another host later tonight.

I never found any of mine to "look off" - though sometimes Photoshop when displaying at a certain zoom percentage (IE 66.7%, or 33.3%) then it will look a bit off at that moment. It'll resume looking proper once zoomed to 25, 50, 100, etc.

Oh, that makes more sense. Well in that case I don't have any idea why they look weird. I have yet to test quite a few of the wallpapers I've downloaded from other people.

Hmm sorry I should have been clearer, it doesn't crash but it becomes VERY slow to operate safari.

Well, it does go a bit slower for me, but not too bad. Did you recently use a big app that hasn't quite become suspended yet? Maybe a game or something?

Last edited:

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Pretty sure the iPad, like the iPhone, will display an image not at the image's dpi setting, but at the pixel dimensions relative to its display. IE, if the image is 2048x2048, regardless of dpi, it'll show you 2048 pixels instead of half that when it's the background image.

Edit: just tried this with my iPhone 4s - dpi setting does not affect how a background image is displayed.

This is correct. You don't need to worry about the DPI or PPI, as long as the image is 2048 x 2048 then it will display properly.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Man, so many ugly wallpapers posted.

Apple is all about less is more, dont ruin it with a fugly wallpaper. Upload something more a bit more minimalistic.

Heres is some of my favorite ones. Resized though, im on 3G right now, and it takes so long to upload.

Don't suppose you've got a link to the Up! image?

edhawk1965

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
KU? University of Kansas?

If so, yeah. I'll get to it over the weekend. Any pattern in mind? Or is the houndstooth okay for you too? :p

Yes! That would be great, houndstooth looks good on the other blue background one I saw.
Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.