Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclemens

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
I resorted to SwitchResX, which managed to successfully set the 3007WFP back to 2560x1600.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about SwitchResX - just downloaded it and my 3007WFP working perfectly now.

I've been working with the very helpful CJ at Apple support, and he's on the case trying to resolve the 30" monitor issue. In the meantime, SwitchResX has brought back my 30" window into data space.

ifop

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about SwitchResX - just downloaded it and my 3007WFP working perfectly now.

I've been working with the very helpful CJ at Apple support, and he's on the case trying to resolve the 30" monitor issue. In the meantime, SwitchResX has brought back my 30" window into data space.

I've been trying to get it to work as well, but can't find settings in SwitchResX that are valid for the 3007WFP-hc. Can one of you that got it working tell me the settings to use to make it work?

EDIT: figured it out. Here are the settings I used (from dell's specs), for anyone else it could help.
29ntnrq.png

Last edited:

RoboTeddy

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Whats the performance like with the 2 30" panels connected? .....Is there any noticeable slow down / lag?

Thanks

Nope, no lag at all :) Feels amazing.

----------

I've been trying to get it to work as well, but can't find settings in SwitchResX that are valid for the 3007WFP-hc. Can one of you that got it working tell me the settings to use to make it work?

I just hit 2560x1600 @ 60hz. The following screenshot isn't for a 3007WFP, but it works the same:
x675

mclemens

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012

Pretty straight forward:
- Open SwitchResX pane in System Preferences.
- Make sure the Daemon is running (see the bottom of the About SwitchResX tab)
- Select the Dell3007 tab (which should show up in the left column of tabs)
- Select Current Resolutions tab
- Check the radio button fro 2560 x 1600

And you should be good to go.

ifop

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Pretty straight forward:
- Open SwitchResX pane in System Preferences.
- Make sure the Daemon is running (see the bottom of the About SwitchResX tab)
- Select the Dell3007 tab (which should show up in the left column of tabs)
- Select Current Resolutions tab
- Check the radio button fro 2560 x 1600

And you should be good to go.

wish this worked for me, but I had to manually enter the settings above in order for SwitchResX to show me 2560x1600 as an option :confused:

Oh well. Finally High-res 30" through mini Displayport -> dual-link DVI on my RMBP :apple: :cool:

mclemens

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Work Around!

If you're still having trouble with the OS X Displays Preferences showing a max resolution of 1600 x 1000, try this:

•*In Display preferences set the Dell to 'Best for display'
•*OPTION click on 'Scaled'

You should now see and expanded list of resolutions, including 2560 x 1600.

Verxion

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
If you're still having trouble with the OS X Displays Preferences showing a max resolution of 1600 x 1000, try this:

•*In Display preferences set the Dell to 'Best for display'
•*OPTION click on 'Scaled'

You should now see and expanded list of resolutions, including 2560 x 1600.

THIS WORKED! No need for an external utility or anything, I just option clicked on scaled, and BLAM, all settings available. :)

Thanks very much for the tip! :)

ifop

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
THIS WORKED! No need for an external utility or anything, I just option clicked on scaled, and BLAM, all settings available. :)

Thanks very much for the tip! :)

Agreed. Thank you for this - I was able to uninstall SwitchResX and still get 2560x1600 on my 30" :) GREAT TIP.

ger-ethan

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
Frankfurt, Germany
When I was looking at the display preferences window in some screenshots in reviews, I couldn't see the tab for the display arrangement. Where can you arrange your displays and move the dock to another display on the RMPB?

Hamilton1963

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
How would you rate the picture quality?

I've arrived home now and have a bit to report. I've got at home a Hanns.G HG281 monitor. It is a large 28" monitor that supports 1920x1200 resolution. Here at home I've got a SINGLE link mini display port to DVI adapter, and sure enough, I get 1920x1200. With the display set to "Best for display", it does 1920x1200, and if I switch that to "Scaled", then I have choices of 1920x1200, 1600x1000, and 1280x800. So this is clearly VERY different from what I am seeing with the dual link adapter.

Please note that BOTH adapters I'm testing with (both single and dual) are official Apple adapters.

Verxion

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
When I was looking at the display preferences window in some screenshots in reviews, I couldn't see the tab for the display arrangement. Where can you arrange your displays and move the dock to another display on the RMPB?

Mine certainly has the arrangement, though now it is in between "Display" and "Color". Please note, however, that you need to be looking at the PRIMARY monitor to see the "Arrange" option, if you look on a secondary monitor, it doesn't show up!

----------

How would you rate the picture quality?

The picture quality is as I would expect. I do, however, wish that they provided the ability to do the same retina effect on secondary monitors. It doesn't appear that they do, though the scaled modes seem visually FAR superior to what I get under windows!

Verxion

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
I am at home right now and the picture quality on my 1920x1200 monitor is great, crisp, and sharp. Note that I do wedding photography and this monitor is quite good for that task. Admittedly, I far prefer my images on the rMBP screen simply due to how much denser the pixels are, but there is nothing I can say is wrong about the external monitor picture.

But, is the picture quality crispy?

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Mine certainly has the arrangement, though now it is in between "Display" and "Color". Please note, however, that you need to be looking at the PRIMARY monitor to see the "Arrange" option, if you look on a secondary monitor, it doesn't show up!

----------

The picture quality is as I would expect. I do, however, wish that they provided the ability to do the same retina effect on secondary monitors. It doesn't appear that they do, though the scaled modes seem visually FAR superior to what I get under windows!

Can you elaborate a bit on that? Are the scaled modes in an external monitor less fuzzy than for example the scaled modes they used to have in system preferences in previous os x versions? That is to say is there less of blur, or none at all? LCDs are not to be used in non native resolutions, but maybe the interpolation they use now is better? Do you suppose the way it works for the retina is the way it works for an external too, that is scaling down, means scaling to twice the resolution in rendering then halving?

I am very, very interested in this. Thanks.

Verxion

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
I certainly don't know for sure, but I'd guess they are doing the double resolution before scaling back down based on how much better it looks. That or they are doing some sub-pixel rendering magic.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Thanks buddy, this is something to watch for, if anyone gets some verified insight on this, please post. :)

MacRumoren

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
My RMBP drove two dell 3011 30" screens at 2560x1600 at work today via displayport with no problem..

RoboTeddy, I also have a RMBP that's driving a dell U3011 but could you check under "Color Settings > Input Color Format", is it fixed to YPbPr? This is a "video-type" signal and so far it's producing a pinkish/reddish cast that I can't get rid of even using the i1Display Pro's monitor calibration device. Could you check?

Just wondering if anyone with RMBP has the same Dell monitors who is also a photographer trying to do color-critical work on the Dell 30" connected via RMBP.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
What kind of TB > Dual Link DVI adapter are you using? I assume third party?

The Apple one should work fine, but I've heard bad things about it like flicker, etc.

----------

HDMI only supports upto 1920x1080.

Also TB becomes a miniDisplayPort when you plug in a monitor via an adapter (ie, mDP > DVI, mDP > HDMI, etc) or Dual Link DVI adapter.

Old HDMI supports 1920x1200 and version 1.3 (or 1.4 I can't remember) supports up to 4K. The monitor would need the right version of HDMI though.

bj97301

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
Mouse gliches

My monitors seem to work fine but my trackpad seems to glich/jump/jitter every 5 seconds or so. My usb mouse is even worse.

OrlandoV

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
LCD LED Vewsonic

Obviously there are a lot of options, but I love this monitor. It combines a gorgeous screen and pretty decent speakers. I will never go less than a LED LCD at this point and this monitor is a great value for a perfect picture. It doesn't shame a beautiful MBP.

Not sure which HDMI will work with your setting though.

51g762U2t8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y3BJ7S

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Obviously there are a lot of options, but I love this monitor. It combines a gorgeous screen and pretty decent speakers. I will never go less than a LED LCD at this point and this monitor is a great value for a perfect picture. It doesn't shame a beautiful MBP.

Not sure which HDMI will work with your setting though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y3BJ7S

IPS panel on RMBP paired with some low end TFT monitor? no thanks

bikethemike

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2012
Apple 30" cinema display does not work with new MacBook Pro

Hello,

I am new to this site and not very knowledgeable, so please excuse my lack of proper terminology.

I have a 30" Apple Cinema Display that I am trying to hook up to my new MacBook Pro Retina Display.

I have a DVI-D dual link adapter. The display works, but at 1280 x800 resolution. There are no options to increase the resolution, and I do not seem to be getting anywhere with Apple.

Is there a 3rd party patch or something that will allow me to use the 30" display.

As a further kick in the pants, it broke about 4 months ago, and I paid $500 to fix it. Prior to getting it repaired, I asked if it was worth doing, especially with the new laptops coming out.

I was told that it was worth doing.

Now I have a old broken MacBook Pro laptop that could run the monitor, and I have a new MacBook Pro that can't.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.