Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
~No option at all after 3YRs (unless you want to pay $1k or $1.5K for a new logic board when your memory goes bad. (soldering the memory has to be the lamest thing about the rMBP).
~No option but Apple pricing to fix a broken glass on the screen. Anyone (or most of us) broken a screen at one point or another?

I've never had RAM go bad; have you? Also, I've never once damaged a laptop LCD, nor have I ever seen a damaged one (other than occasional pics posted on the internet).

~No built in wired ethernet
~No built in optical drive

I don't believe I've ever used either one on my mid-2010 MBP. Not even sure if they work, and also not sure why I should always have to buy a new optical drive every time I buy a new computer?

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
Better stock in NYC stores

I had been in and out of the UWS and the Fifth Ave Apple in NYC stores the past couple of weeks to see if a Retina with 512 was in stock. No luck until today! While they used to get a handful (I was told 5 or 6 a day) now they have real stock. May be worth checking your Apple store unless you want custom.

Woolven

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
No change yet

Ordered 10th July base model with 16gb ram upgrade. Still no change in my shipping time from 2-3 weeks yet.. Maybe because it's Sunday. Expected arrival 31st Jul - 6th Aug :(

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
2. You have to replace your battery like once in 3-4 years, probably only once in its lifecycle.

I don't know where you are getting your estimates, but I've had my RMBP about a month now and I already have 40 cycles, so at this rate it'll be almost exactly 2 years when it's time to swap out the battery.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
My guess is that there are a few folks (LOTS) who got over being the first to get the super thin rMBP and realized, they now were stuck with exactly what they got and either returned or decided not to buy...

Issues with the rMBP...

~No option to upgrade in order to extend product life.
Without a $350 warranty its Apple Pricing to get repaired beyond 1 year.
~No option at all after 3YRs (unless you want to pay $1k or $1.5K for a new logic board when your memory goes bad. (soldering the memory has to be the lamest thing about the rMBP).
~No option but Apple pricing to fix a broken glass on the screen. Anyone (or most of us) broken a screen at one point or another?
~The graphics suck on most day to day activities (web browsing)
~The video card struggles to keep up with the resolution, making you wonder how bad that will be in 2 years with the rate of technology growth.

The list goes on and on... All to get the "WOW, thats thin" factor. I'll take the 3/16" thicker machine with none of those issues listed and the less likelihood I will have a $3k boat anchor or paper weight in 2-3 years.

my 2cents...

I admit the current rMBP is not for me either, because I have only used my 2011 MBP for half a year and replacing it with current rMBP is too soon.

However, by seeing your comments, I think you should never buy a Mac again unless the Mac Pro really get an upgrade next year. The current rMBP is a testbed for Apple anyway, who else has produced a machine that has a better display? Non of those shxt Windows machines have a 2560x1600 display on them. More is soldered RAM really that hopeless? I think if Apple use typical RAM configuration would they have achieved such a high performance machine. Apple needs to keep everything to their original design in order to test the actual ability and reception of the rMBP, if they allow people to customize every bit of it how could they achieve a result?

Besides, many fanboys who buy a MacBook defeats its actual advantages. They only regard those as gaming machine as tbh I don't see the benefit to play benchmark games on a laptop instead of a gaming PC. I love my MacBook because it is stable and user-friendly at work, let me know if any PC Laptop is as stable as a Mac.

I don't know how do you use your Mac, btw if you only get a low res display I don't see your Machine will be that usable 2-3 years later.

my 2cents anyway...

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't believe I've ever used either one on my mid-2010 MBP. Not even sure if they work, and also not sure why I should always have to buy a new optical drive every time I buy a new computer?

Optical drive (CD / DVD reader + writer) = £15.
USB to Ethernet adapter = £2.95.

BriSpe

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
CH
Mine was showing delivery from 7th-13th Aug, now showing 30th Jul-6th Aug :)

Mine is still showing 7th-13th.
When did you ordered yours?
I placed the order on July 4th

I'm in Europe too, so I don't get it, what these Foxconn guys are doing there.

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
Optical drive (CD / DVD reader + writer) = £15.
USB to Ethernet adapter = £2.95.

There are cons to the Ethernet Adapter, can't quite remember them fully but it was to do with them only running at a slow speed (100 Mbps) or something, which if i'm being honest, makes it pointless if you have a fast connection. The external drive is better anyway, it's faster than Apples 'Better Be Quiet' SuperDrives + One can use Blu-Ray .

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I admit the current rMBP is not for me either, because I have only used my 2011 MBP for half a year and replacing it with current rMBP is too soon.

However, by seeing your comments, I think you should never buy a Mac again unless the Mac Pro really get an upgrade next year. The current rMBP is a testbed for Apple anyway, who else has produced a machine that has a better display? Non of those shxt Windows machines have a 2560x1600 display on them. More is soldered RAM really that hopeless? I think if Apple use typical RAM configuration would they have achieved such a high performance machine. Apple needs to keep everything to their original design in order to test the actual ability and reception of the rMBP, if they allow people to customize every bit of it how could they achieve a result?

Besides, many fanboys who buy a MacBook defeats its actual advantages. They only regard those as gaming machine as tbh I don't see the benefit to play benchmark games on a laptop instead of a gaming PC. I love my MacBook because it is stable and user-friendly at work, let me know if any PC Laptop is as stable as a Mac.

I don't know how do you use your Mac, btw if you only get a low res display I don't see your Machine will be that usable 2-3 years later.

my 2cents anyway...

My point was all the negatives just to get 3/16" thinner. Remove that Apple development obsession, you can still install normal Laptop Ram, standard SSD's, ethernet jack, and make the system serviceable. Its pretty straight forward.

----------

I've never had RAM go bad; have you? Also, I've never once damaged a laptop LCD, nor have I ever seen a damaged one (other than occasional pics posted on the internet).

We can agree on the optical drive. I got news for you... You'll be pissed if you have to buy a $1500 logic board because RAM goes bad. It does and is somewhat common over years. Just because you haven't had memory go bad, is not a logic step to thinking it doesnt go bad.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Issues with the rMBP...

~No option to upgrade in order to extend product life.
Without a $350 warranty its Apple Pricing to get repaired beyond 1 year.

The "issues" you mention (note that I left the ones about performance out, because I agree on those) are not issues but by design. People who bought the product and realised this afterward did not do enough research before their purchase and should have bought a regular MBP or MBA, or a product from a competitor for that matter.

I consider it good customer service that Apple is so lenient in taking back purchases without conditions. it shows that Apple puts value in the lifetime value of the customer as opposed to the value of one sale.

There are not that many companies that enable you to buy a product and return it because you don't like a documented feature or absence of a feature.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
There are cons to the Ethernet Adapter, can't quite remember them fully but it was to do with them only running at a slow speed (100 Mbps) or something, which if i'm being honest, makes it pointless if you have a fast connection. The external drive is better anyway, it's faster than Apples 'Better Be Quiet' SuperDrives + One can use Blu-Ray .

I've got the thunderbolt to gig Ethernet adapter and it works at a full gigE speeds. I'm getting about 100 megabytes per second which is just as fast as the Ethernet port on the regular mbp.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
You'll be pissed if you have to buy a $1500 logic board because RAM goes bad. It does and is somewhat common over years. Just because you haven't had memory go bad, is not a logic step to thinking it doesnt go bad.

Sorry man, but ive never seen it. im 43 years old and been on computers since floppy drives. ive NEVER seen a good stick of ram go bad. And soldered RAM is even more dependable.

All these dramatics about apples "glued" battery and soldered ram is a moot point. in a few years, if ultrabooks even still exist, theyll all be appliances, and id be surprised if they even have screws, will likely be welded shut. All these fights over user accessability is hilarious.

----------

btw, if something like the surface comes to town, or even the tablets in existence. weres all the beef about "soldered ram and glued batteries?"

rcepek

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
Show Configuration Details
Ships: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers Aug 3 - Aug 9 via Standard Shipping

No, change for me yet....

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
And if something breaks? You have to return the ENTIRE UNIT...

sort of like almost every other laptop out there? if a capacitor blows out on your windows machine are you climbing in there with a soldering iron?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The look on your face when Apple announces the iPhone 5 in october will be priceless.

They won't.

1. They will announce it in Sept
2. It will just be the new iPhone

----------

I really want to wait for the next upgrade. Any guess's on when that may be??

A year perhaps two? Depends on how you define an upgrade

----------

Is this just for new orders? My customized Retina Macbook Pro I ordered a couple of weeks ago still says 3-4 weeks and the delivery estimate has not changed.

Thanks

If you ordered it a couple of weeks ago there's 1-2 weeks left, same as a new order

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Coming from a guy who owns lots of stock in Apple (me), I think I know what i'm talking about.

Last I checked, shareholders aren't told squat anymore that non holders.

Now if you had claimed you work for apple corporate (not retail cause they aren't told either to keep them from leaking it or insider trading), you might be believed as knowing something

----------

The 4S name being revealed last October made the stock value drop at the time. Apple knows now that the reason for that was people expected an "iPhone 5".

1. Stock always drops because the truth never fits he rumors
2. The name wasnt the issue, it was that it was viewed as 'a lame spec bump' rather than a 'real upgrade like the rumors were talking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.