Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
They call the iPhone by numbers because each new full version (not the "S" ones) has a very new design. The same could not be said for other Apple products, including the iPad.

The Retina MacBook Pro is not techinically a different name to a redesigned product. However the idea that the iPhone could have a numberless name could be beneficial to Apple, it dosen't give them room to fear what to buy, "Do I Buy The iPhone 4 or 4s" or "I'm Going To Buy An iPhone."

It's about perception. We'll see soon enough how they go about naming it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Some people are happy to see those PC makers copy the design of MacBook because they can buy a MacBook wannabe at much cheaper price and try to look down on people who buy MacBooks.

They would love to, but they can't. Take the MacBook Air: Intel has been paying PC makers about $500 million to build MBA competitors (called "Ultrabooks"). And what happened? Look hear: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/12/ultrabook_sales/

At Computex, Intel's then–top salesman Sean Maloney – now head of Intel China – confidently predicted that ultrabooks would account for 40 per cent of laptop sales by the end of 2012. According to IDC's Chou, that ain't gonna happen.

"We might hit a million [ultrabooks] this year," Chou told CNET. Considering that IDC estimates that 225 million laptops will sell during the year, Maloney and Intel missed their mark by a factor of 90.

So they all together will be happy to sell 1 million Ultrabooks per year! We don't have exact numbers, but Apple will sell about 16 million laptops in 2012, so we can safely assume that the MBA will massively outsell all Ultrabooks put together.

Fact is that they can't make copies that offer the same for the same money. At best they _can_ offer something much less good for a little bit less money. And then they run into the phenomenon that given the choice between a big, clunky laptop for $400, an Ultrabook that looks kind of nice if you don't look too close but isn't the real thing for $800, and an MBA for $1000, very very few people go for the Ultrabook.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The Retina MacBook Pro is not techinically a different name to a redesigned product. However the idea that the iPhone could have a numberless name could be beneficial to Apple, it dosen't give them room to fear what to buy, "Do I Buy The iPhone 4 or 4s" or "I'm Going To Buy An iPhone."

It's about perception. We'll see soon enough how they go about naming it.

Also, "iPhone 5" sounds a lot cooler than "the latest iPhone". It generates excitement.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
just call it the new iphone (when it is not or just released).

as time passes call it iphone late 2012, or iphone sept 2012 release or something when referring back to it.

also give it a mnemonic model number, to easily check if certain features are supported.

khull

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
Post is slightly going off topic. To bring it back, my order originally was 2-3 weeks has now been updated to say 1-2 with a delivery date 4 days earlier than originally quoted

Woolven

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
Post is slightly going off topic. To bring it back, my order originally was 2-3 weeks has now been updated to say 1-2 with a delivery date 4 days earlier than originally quoted

Arrgghh jealous! I've been watching mine like a hawk because I ordered on the 11th of July, still haven't changed from 2-3 weeks to 1-2 :(

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
FW800 is somewhat necessary for me, and I have already found reports of people testing and finding that FW800 is faster than USB 3.0. USB also lacks some of the features of FireWire, and it uses more computer resources, which sucks. FW400 is absolutely necessary for me because of the video editing I do and the iSight webcam, and FW800 to FW400 adapters are common. The actual main reason I'd avoid getting a MBPR is that I already have a MacBook.

Also, I did a quick search for ethernet to USB adapters and found plenty for <$5, "Buy it Now" on eBay with free shipping.
Computing resources required by USB aren't even worth mentioning on a quad core computer with hyper threading that can potentially run at 3.3-3.7 GHz. It's about the same CPU required by most on-board Ethernet ports

And if Ethernet is something you rely on for work, would you really buy a $5 eBay special? I would probably go to mewegg or amazon an buy from a vendor I have heard of. In which case the low end is $15. And again, having true gigabit and freeing up a USB port is worth $15 to me. Considering $30 is only 1% of what I paid... It's no big deal

And if you're buying a new laptop, it might be worth upgrading your video equipment. FireWire is dying. There's very little reason to stick with it over USB3. The rMBP is meant for people who live on the cutting edge

PS65

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
United Kingdom
Email from Apple!

Thank you for your recent MacBook Pro with Retina display order. We know you are looking forward to receiving it.

We are delighted to advise you that we can dispatch your MacBook Pro with Retina display order earlier than anticipated.

Your MacBook Pro with Retina display will be ready to dispatch on 03/08/12.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
And if you're buying a new laptop, it might be worth upgrading your video equipment. FireWire is dying. There's very little reason to stick with it over USB3. The rMBP is meant for people who live on the cutting edge

From what I've seen, HDV cameras are alive and well, and they use FireWire exclusively. If I switched to flash memory, I'd have to deal with lossy compressed video. The tape really makes the most sense.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
From what I've seen, HDV cameras are alive and well, and they use FireWire exclusively. If I switched to flash memory, I'd have to deal with lossy compressed video. The tape really makes the most sense.

My DV cam from ages ago works fine w/ even USB2 -- I'm sure HDV w/ USB3 will start to penetrate the market soon enough. Or if the pro market refuses to acknowledge USB3 is more than adequate for their purposes, then I can see thunderbolt being adopted, as it seems to be destined to replace firewire as the niche port that no one uses.

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
My DV cam from ages ago works fine w/ even USB2 -- I'm sure HDV w/ USB3 will start to penetrate the market soon enough. Or if the pro market refuses to acknowledge USB3 is more than adequate for their purposes, then I can see thunderbolt being adopted, as it seems to be destined to replace firewire as the niche port that no one uses.

TB might replace FireWire for this, but I can't really see USB being used for HDV video from tapes because it's not P2P. I'm not sure how your DV cam worked with USB 2.0, maybe you were in flash memory mode?

balianx

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Email from Apple!

Thank you for your recent MacBook Pro with Retina display order. We know you are looking forward to receiving it.

We are delighted to advise you that we can dispatch your MacBook Pro with Retina display order earlier than anticipated.

Your MacBook Pro with Retina display will be ready to dispatch on 03/08/12.

When did you order it?

And can you tell me in which step your order is? (it has 4 steps)

Last edited:

macmnlo

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I order the 9th of july Europe
I'm in step 2 and apple give a date of shipping, the 3th of August....Hope they chage it

DannyBoy20802

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Riverside IL
I bought mine 17th July, standard configuration on the 2.6 GHz model. I had an original ship estimate of 2-3 weeks with a delivery estimate of 7-13th August. The status is now showing a ship estimate of 1-2 weeks, but a delivery estimate of 10-17th August. WHY...?!?

vzwellijo

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
I ordered mine on July 3rd. 2.3 processor with 16 GB RAM. As of today, it still shows 3-4 weeks and July 31- August 6th. This is after I called Apple to complain about how long. They upgraded me to 2-3 day shipping, which took off 1 day. I'm so ready for this thing to get here.

balianx

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
I ordered 11th July, changed to step 3 yesterday (23th) and was shipped this morning with expected arrival to 31st July.

Btw, Europe -> Portugal.

Sir Al

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
My guess is that there are a few folks (LOTS) who got over being the first to get the super thin rMBP and realized, they now were stuck with exactly what they got and either returned or decided not to buy...

Issues with the rMBP...

~No option to upgrade in order to extend product life.
Without a $350 warranty its Apple Pricing to get repaired beyond 1 year.
~No option at all after 3YRs (unless you want to pay $1k or $1.5K for a new logic board when your memory goes bad. (soldering the memory has to be the lamest thing about the rMBP).
~No option but Apple pricing to fix a broken glass on the screen. Anyone (or most of us) broken a screen at one point or another?
~The graphics suck on most day to day activities (web browsing)
~The video card struggles to keep up with the resolution, making you wonder how bad that will be in 2 years with the rate of technology growth.
~No built in wired ethernet
~No built in optical drive

The list goes on and on... All to get the "WOW, thats thin" factor. I'll take the 3/16" thicker machine with none of those issues listed and the less likelihood I will have a $3k boat anchor or paper weight in 2-3 years.

my 2cents...
There will always be people complaining when features are removed, either because they are still one of the few that use it, or because it gives them one more reason to complain even if they don't really use the feature. I admit I am sometimes like that, I like to have all the features even if I don't readily use them, but like to feel peace at mind knowing that if I ever need them, I have them. But lately I've changed, and decided to clean up a bit, getting rid of junk I don't need/use to make my life simpler.

The rMBP is not for everyone, that's why Apple still offers the cMBPs for sale, and has even updated them to the same specs as the rMBP. I am coming from a PowerBook G4 and just upgraded to a rMBP. I must admit I've been using my desktop more the last 2 years than my PowerBook because some apps I use are Intel only or run too slow on the PowerBook. However, even with such ancient technology, it's been ages since I used the ethernet port on the PowerBook, and if I did it's because 802.11g was too slow for my needs. The rMBP's WiFi is blazing fast and I don't see myself using the Ethernet any time soon, even though I got the adapter just in case. I'd rather have the notebook thinner and use an adapter the few times I need it, than keep it thick just for the sake of Ethernet.

Optical drive? I don't remember the last time I used it unless it was to rip an audio CD which I haven't bought in years. All my software and media are digital purchases and downloads nowadays. I'd rather buy a lossless version online than try to rip it myself knowing it's not 100% perfect. I barely make discs anymore, hard drives are cheaper than DVD-Rs or BD-Rs. It makes me think who still uses optical drives? Just like I think how often do people break screens? It hasn't happened to me, nor anyone in my family except someone who is prone to break anything that touches his hands. However, I realize everyone is different, and if you are an optical disc fanatic then probably the rMBP is not for you. If you tend to break screens all the time, then maybe you shouldn't invest in $2k laptops and go for cheap netbooks that probably could handle a light fall. For most of us, I think optical drives and wired networking (especially with 802.11ac on the horizon) are on their way out, and Apple is a company who welcomes the future and anticipates new technology, it's not a surprise they deprecate old technology sooner than most companies.

I really welcome the ability to run 2 external monitors (actually 3, but it's not officially supported?), now that's a feature I've been waiting to see in an Apple laptop. I have an external monitor, and a TV I want on at the same time. Knowing I could even add another monitor is something I really welcome. I haven't used a VGA cable in years and seeing old technology like that on new PC laptops makes me glad I have a Mac. Most people have a high definition TV nowadays, and many have a computer monitor, too. Being able to use all the displays at your house for a Pro machine is something I see as more important nowadays than an optical drive. Not to mention the lighter weight, incredible screen, and all the other factors that make this machine great.

You said the list goes on and on like that... can you elaborate? I can't think of more reasons than the ones you listed. My 2 cents.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
You may not have noticed it, but Apple actually sells to 15" MBPs with different designs. If you don't like the Retina 15" MBP, there is a 15" MBP that has everything you want.

For now...

----------

The "issues" you mention (note that I left the ones about performance out, because I agree on those) are not issues but by design. People who bought the product and realised this afterward did not do enough research before their purchase and should have bought a regular MBP or MBA, or a product from a competitor for that matter.

I consider it good customer service that Apple is so lenient in taking back purchases without conditions. it shows that Apple puts value in the lifetime value of the customer as opposed to the value of one sale.

There are not that many companies that enable you to buy a product and return it because you don't like a documented feature or absence of a feature.

So, when the memory in my $3k 16GB Macbook Pro Retina dies after 1 year, they will take it back or charge me $1.5k to replace the memory (via the logic board). Its an understandable risk with an iPad because it is $500-$800. It is not a wise risk on a $3K laptop, just to get the "WOW that is thin" factor.

I agree with you that their return policy in 14 days is pretty good and commend Apple for that. I am a HUGE Apple Fan, but just concerned with their direction of putting more emphasis on looks and the WOW, vs the function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.