Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Seriously. I tried to convince myself the 2015 MBA I had was superior to the MacBook because of the ports and processor but that screen, my God. I returned it 3 days after I bought it. Its embarrassing Apple still sells a MacBook with that horrid TN display, much less what they charge for it. I'll gladly put up with a split second lag to never have to look at that MBA display again.

As an APPL shareholder, I do find it embarrassing that they still computers with such a bad screen. But people still buy them, and defend them vehemently.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
As an APPL shareholder, I do find it embarrassing that they still computers with such a bad screen. But people still buy them, and defend them vehemently.

I don't see how going out of your way to mention that you own Apple stock adds anything to the point you were trying to make. Owning Apple stock does not make your views any more important than anyone else's.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I don't see how going out of your way to mention that you own Apple stock adds anything to the point you were trying to make. Owning Apple stock does not make your views any more important than anyone else's.

I buy APPL stock because I like the company and their ideals. TN screens are old technology and should be left behind. Apple should be more forward thinking in my mind (they'll probably sell more too)

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I buy APPL stock because I like the company and their ideals. TN screens are old technology and should be left behind. Apple should be more forward thinking in my mind (they'll probably sell more too)

That still doesn't have anything to do with the point you were making. It still does not make sense that you would go out of your way to mention that you own Apple stock in the context of the point you were making. Unless the point you were making was that you own apple stock.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
That still doesn't have anything to do with the point you were making. It still does not make sense that you would go out of your way to mention that you own Apple stock in the context of the point you were making. Unless the point you were making was that you own apple stock.

I'm sorry, I thought it was clear enough but I guess it isn't.

Good day.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Your 2015 MBA screen is what I couldn't stand. It amazes me that you can put up with that TN screen yet not ignore an almost imperceptible amount of lag. I don't expect to ever notice it but I will love the retina screen.

To each their own :) The MBA screen is not great but it does the job and i have zero ui lag. Also the MBA is cheaper then the retina laptops.

----------

The same way some people defend the laggy retina machines ;) I would actually be happy with a higher quality IPS panel at the same resolution in the MBA but of course that would drive the prices up.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007

Uh.

By definition, yes it does. He has ownership in Apple and shares the risk of their decisions.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
To each their own :) The MBA screen is not great but it does the job and i have zero ui lag. Also the MBA is cheaper then the retina laptops.

----------

The same way some people defend the laggy retina machines ;)

I won't look too hard for the lag on mine. :)

(But if it is there I'm sure I'll notice it)

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Return it and buy what? Even the new rMBP 13 has UI lag. People are going to spend $2500 on a rMBP 15 just so they don't have to deal with a split second lag? Seems silly to me

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/06/2015-macbook-pro-ui-lag-os-x-yosemite/

I have a 2015 rMBP and see no lag whatsoever.

I cannot lie i was contemplating purchasing one today (macbook). I was at best buy testing one out for the first time and wanted to give it a fair unbiased chance as i love everything new that apple produces. Honestly I also feel as if apple has taken a step back with this one in a very bad way. Yes its THIN and light and the keyboard is edgeless but why are you willing to take a step backwards in the software world just to save a LB? The UI lagged not incredibly terrible but for $1500 in 2015 seems like a joke.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Optimisation of Drivers

It`s likely due to optimisation of drivers; The 2015 13" MBPr lags more than the 2014. All the new MacBook`s I have seen (10.10.2) lag was easily induced. Apple should really get on top of it, as for some it can be very distracting and breaks the user experience, however it`s old news over in the MacBook Pro forum so don't expect too much, too soon. 10.10.3 is an improvement, however not a complete solution.

I tend to agree for this price point there should be no lag, equally it exists. For those that are experiencing lag you can Reduce Transparency (Accessibility) as this reduces the load on the GPU, some have also found checking Increase Contrast also helps to reduce lag further. You can see the difference by hitting the Mission Control key with Shift key held down. Much depends on your usage, lag is more prone with multiple Space`s, fullscreen applications, UI transitions Mission Control, Launch Pad, etc.

Q-6

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Uh.

By definition, yes it does. He has ownership in Apple and shares the risk of their decisions.

Then maybe everyone here that owns Apple stock should start all of their posts with "As an APPL shareholder" so that we know that what they are saying is more important than those that don't own Apple stock.

I also Apple stock, but don't feel the need to brag about it, so according to you what I am saying is more important that what others are saying that don't own Apple stock. Now how do we decide who's view or opinion is the most important? By the amount of stock that they own obviously, according to you, or does 1 share = 100 shares = 1 millions shares = 0.01 shares? Do you seriously not see how that is flawed when it comes to things that are not being voted on by stockholders?

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Then maybe everyone here that owns Apple stock should start all of their posts with "As an APPL shareholder" so that we know that what they are saying is more important than those that don't own Apple stock.

I also Apple stock, but don't feel the need to brag about it, so according to you what I am saying is more important that what others are saying that don't own Apple stock. Now how do we decide who's view or opinion is the most important? By the amount of stock that they own obviously, according to you, or does 1 share = 100 shares = 1 millions shares = 0.01 shares? Do you seriously not see how that is flawed when it comes to things that are not being voted on by stockholders?

I don't think he was being arrogant or even the slight bit aggressive when he stated that he's a share holder. If anything he is at more risk than the people that aren't shareholders.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I don't think he was being arrogant or even the slight bit aggressive when he stated that he's a share holder. If anything he is at more risk than the people that aren't shareholders.

Maybe brag was the wrong term. It just seemed that mentioning it was in an effort to add validity to his statement when all it really did was detract from the point he was trying to make.

enduser99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
I have to comment on the whole UI lag. People are making it sound like its just a cosmetic nitpick. It is not, in my opinion. I can put up the a bit of stutter or lack of smoothness.

My objections are based on my productivity impact. It was annoying to wait for the UI, my work was slowed. It was frustrating at times. Maybe I'm just a super duper user... lol ;)

Oh, and to all you douchebag shareholders who hijacked my thread, you have to post your ORIGINAL purchase date andit had better be before 1998, or you are a poser.... and no wash sales permitted!!!!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Maybe brag was the wrong term. It just seemed that mentioning it was in an effort to add validity to his statement when all it really did was detract from the point he was trying to make.

It's like when you're behind someone in line complaining at an airport and they start their comment with "I am a 10 million mile flyer" ... or in a hotel "I stay here all the time" ... it's really irrelevant. If you think your opinion as a consumer is more important because of owning some minuscule piece of the company's stock offering, you're dead wrong.

You clearly felt the need to point out that you're a shareholder. As a shareholder, you should be all for Apple cutting corners, putting sub-par specs, and getting average products to market at above average prices. So to then bitch about how they're botching things (when all indications this product is a hit), doesn't jive with your comment about being a shareholder. Shareholders want maximum return on investment, and that doesn't come with giving the consumer for for less.

But hey, I'm a AAPL shareholder too. And I bet I have more shares than you, but that's really irrelevant, because as a consumer, I want what's best for me, and as a shareholder I want what's best for Apple, so there's a happy medium. But if I started out every post with "As an Apple investor".... I'd expect to be called a fool just like people are doing to you.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
It's like when you're behind someone in line complaining at an airport and they start their comment with "I am a 10 million mile flyer" ... or in a hotel "I stay here all the time" ... it's really irrelevant. If you think your opinion as a consumer is more important because of owning some minuscule piece of the company's stock offering, you're dead wrong.

You clearly felt the need to point out that you're a shareholder. As a shareholder, you should be all for Apple cutting corners, putting sub-par specs, and getting average products to market at above average prices. So to then bitch about how they're botching things (when all indications this product is a hit), doesn't jive with your comment about being a shareholder. Shareholders want maximum return on investment, and that doesn't come with giving the consumer for for less.

But hey, I'm a AAPL shareholder too. And I bet I have more shares than you, but that's really irrelevant, because as a consumer, I want what's best for me, and as a shareholder I want what's best for Apple, so there's a happy medium. But if I started out every post with "As an Apple investor".... I'd expect to be called a fool just like people are doing to you.

I think you misunderstood that most of that post was sarcasm. I do not seriously think that people that own Apple stock should start their posts with "As an Apple investor". You did however do a better job go making the point that I was trying to make. I must have missed the part where I was called a fool.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I have to comment on the whole UI lag. People are making it sound like its just a cosmetic nitpick. It is not, in my opinion. I can put up the a bit of stutter or lack of smoothness.

My objections are based on my productivity impact. It was annoying to wait for the UI, my work was slowed. It was frustrating at times. Maybe I'm just a super duper user... lol ;)

Understandable. If your work requires a ton of windows to be open and a bunch of desktop spaces and you need to switch between everything lighting quick, you shouldn't have even bothered with a MacBook to begin with. I think most people knew going in it was going to be mostly for light usage with an emphasis on portability, not power.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Performance. Too much UI lag on the rMB, even compared to my mid-2012 MBA. Running Parallels really bogged it down. Changing screen res didn't really help. Even scrolling in Outlook for MAC (v15), felt too laggy. Swiping between desktops (even without Parallels running) seemed not as smooth.

Sounds like you would be happier with the 2015 Retina MacBook Pro 13".

enduser99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
That does the same thing he's complaining of. He's going to have to spend the big bucks for the top of the line MBP 15

Actually, I'm still pretty happy with my 2012 MBA. Such a slight against the rMB, I'd rather use my old machine.. take that rMB! ;)

GiantCow

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
As someone who owns shares of an index fund that owns Apple shares, I'm looking forward to my MB arriving on Monday and seeing this UI lag myself. I didn't notice any in the short time I played around with it at the Apple store.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Understandable. If your work requires a ton of windows to be open and a bunch of desktop spaces and you need to switch between everything lighting quick, you shouldn't have even bothered with a MacBook to begin with. I think most people knew going in it was going to be mostly for light usage with an emphasis on portability, not power.

Er... And since the MacBook Pro does the same thing, your next option would be..?

We are allowed to hold Apple accountable for what is obviously a problem with their OS running on their expensive machines, you know?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Why wouldn't you want one?

For similar reasons that OP explained. Once I took a look at it and played around with it for a few mins., I knew to stick with a MBA.

----------

Apple has already discontinued the 2011 MBA. The current model is the Early 2015 MBA.

I meant to say, if Apple will discontinue the MBA entirely.

----------

Your statement makes zero sense. Care to elaborate?

Sure. I happen to be walking by an Apple Store on 4/10th. I realize by the amounts of people in the store, the rMB and watch were being displayed. Once I saw the rMB and typed on it for a few mins., I knew it wasn't for me. So I'm curious if Apple will discontinue the MBA because of speculations I've read in some threads.

I have a 2011 MBA now and was wondering if I should upgrade, only if, Apple plans to discontinue the MBA entirely. If not, I can go another year or two before I decide to upgrade. Nothing is wrong with my 2011 MBA, but I'm willing to take advantage of an upgrade if 2015 is my last opportunity for one - MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.