Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Its just one of those things i cant stand, it affects me on xbox one games that have low FPS aswell, it annoys the crap out of me. Ill be replacing my 2011 MBA with a 2015 MBA, i would love a hi res screen but that ui lag is unbearable and for the price Apple charge i want perfection.

You guys must have super eyesight I guess. I do photo and video professionally and I can easily notice when video is dropping frames I don't see any lag at all, odd. I'll still post a video so others can see for themselves

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Correct. Wether someone else can see it or not is irrelevant. Those that see it, see it on all. It's a driver issue with intels graphics. That is why the dedicated GPU does not have the problem.

I'm going to play devils advocate.

My iGPU kicks in only when required, such as Lightroom, Photoshop, Games, etc. When using the web or most applications for that matter, it runs under the Iris Pro.

How do you explain not having lag in general despite I'm using Intel's graphics processing 80% of the time?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I'm going to play devils advocate.

My iGPU kicks in only when required, such as Lightroom, Photoshop, Games, etc. When using the web or most applications for that matter, it runs under the Iris Pro.

How do you explain not having lag in general despite I'm using Intel's graphics processing 80% of the time?

I think the Iris Pro is ok, its the regular Iris in the 13" models and the 5300 in the rMB that causes the UI lag. Well thats my guess anyway.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I think the Iris Pro is ok, its the regular Iris in the 13" models that causes the UI lag. Well thats my guess anyway.

Serious question because I don't have any UI lag, or that I have witnessed anyway.

The only aggravating things I have come across are Safari based bugs that Apple needs to iron out.

Safari acts weird sometimes...one thing specifically is when I do a search on craigslist sometimes my typing is delayed a few seconds.

Safari will pinwheel sometimes for no reason...just stupid **** that is obvious a driver issue.

My benchmark scores are 12.5K on the multi-core processing.

As much as I have talked crap about the rMB I'm still contemplating getting it and leaving my 15" rMBP on my desk at home while I take the rMB to school.

I'm a mechanical engineering major though, so eventually once I'm deeper into the program I will need my 15" for engineering based software if I have any desire to work outside of a school lab....so the rMB would only be useful for me through my basic courses.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Serious question because I don't have any UI lag, or that I have witnessed anyway.

The only aggravating things I have come across are Safari based bugs that Apple needs to iron out.

Safari acts weird sometimes...one thing specifically is when I do a search on craigslist sometimes my typing is delayed a few seconds.

Safari will pinwheel sometimes for no reason...just stupid **** that is obvious a driver issue.

My benchmark scores are 12.5K on the multi-core processing.

The most common UI lag is going in and out of mission control. I see the UI lag there on every 13" rMBP ive used, and ive used ALOT. At the end of the day if you cant see it don't go looking for it, enjoy your machine.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Do I really have to explain why this is? Your 2012 MBA has a garbage TN display from 2010. The MacBook has to drive a 2304x1440 retina display with WAY more pixels.

----------

Can you give me some examples of what you were doing that caused it to lag so badly? I want to see if I can duplicate it on my MacBook.

BTW & FWIW, the *worst* lag I've ever seen is on the 11" MBAs, up to and including the 2015. Even scrolling in Safari is an eye-bender.

----------

If want it to be truly comparable then you need to include the port adapters that the MBr would need to match the same ports on the MBA.

What if you don't use them? And I guess we need to add an SD card reader, since the comparable MBA doesn't come with one.

----------

I knew once I saw the display on the rMB on 4/10th. that I didn't want one. I have a 2011 MBA, do you think Apple will discontinue it? I'm debating if I should purchase a 2015 MBA with i5 or i7 with 256SSD.

If it's working for you, I wouldn't rush. Even when Apple pulls the plug on the 11", which I believe they will do, there will be at least a slight lag for new inventory and months to pick one up in the refurb section (at great prices). No reason to stampede yourself.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
What if you don't use them? And I guess we need to add an SD card reader, since the comparable MBA doesn't come with one.

You are the one that was specing out the two computers so that they would be comparable. All I was doing was pointing out that to truly make them comparable you have to include all of the features possible and not pick and choose.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Correct. Wether someone else can see it or not is irrelevant. Those that see it, see it on all. It's a driver issue with intels graphics. That is why the dedicated GPU does not have the problem.

Unfortunately, that is limited to the 15" - and it comes with its own issues. There are no perfect solutions, only different compromises... :eek:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You are the one that was spewing out the two computers so that they would be comparable. All I was doing was pointing out that to truly make them comparable you have to include all of the features possible and not pick and choose.

Pardon me, your grace - I didn't realize I was spewing anything. :rolleyes: So we'll add $50 to the MBA column and $80 to the rMB totals.

----------

We are talking about an 11" MBA and not a 15" MBPr.

Thanks for participating, my lord, but the post I was quoting mentioned a dGPU, which last I checked wasn't an option on the 11" MBA. Or did you have one made up for you as a CTO?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Pardon me, your grace - I didn't realize I was spewing anything. :rolleyes: So we'll add $50 to the MBA column and $80 to the rMB totals.

----------

Thanks for participating, my lord, but the post I was quoting mentioned a dGPU, which last I checked wasn't an option on the 11" MBA. Or did you have one made up for you as a CTO?

Sorry about that I typed specing and it autocorrected to spewing. It also did it when I was typing this reply. I did not intend any disrespect.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Unfortunately, that is limited to the 15" - and it comes with its own issues. There are no perfect solutions, only different compromises... :eek:

What issues? Aside from everyone not happy with the outdated iGPU, although it performs better than the Iris Pro alone.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Ok, I started opening multiple windows to do a video and now I see the lag. It seems to happen when you are on a page that has flash, like the eBay main page and ESPN. Don't notice it when its a site like this with no flash on it. Its still only like a split second hesitation, I see it way more often on my iPhone and it doesn't anger me enough to return my iPhone. Non issue for me, I very rarely have more than one window or tab open at a time. Even if I did have multiple windows and desktops running, that little hesitation wouldn't make me angry enough to return it lol. Some people...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
What issues? Aside from everyone not happy with the outdated iGPU, although it performs better than the Iris Pro alone.

From reading (which I guess means a big qualification) the Yosemite and MBP forums, various problems from text entry issues to scrolling problems to kernel panics and crashes with recent models. If I'm mis-remembering, which happens, I will happily stand corrected.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
You are just less susceptible to seeing it. Every rMBP and rMB besides the 15" rMBP with dedicated graphics card ive used lags. Some people notice it some don't. I will be waiting till Apple overcome this issue before jumping on the retina bandwagon.

True this.

Every retina Mac I've seen has noticeable Ui lag, and it makes sense that the rMB would be the worst yet in this regard.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
From reading (which I guess means a big qualification) the Yosemite and MBP forums, various problems from text entry issues to scrolling problems to kernel panics and crashes with recent models. If I'm mis-remembering, which happens, I will happily stand corrected.

I sense a lot of speculation without actual facts.

What your saying is those issues are dependent to the 15" rMBP?

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Ok, I started opening multiple windows to do a video and now I see the lag. It seems to happen when you are on a page that has flash, like the eBay main page and ESPN. Don't notice it when its a site like this with no flash on it. Its still only like a split second hesitation, I see it way more often on my iPhone and it doesn't anger me enough to return my iPhone. Non issue for me, I very rarely have more than one window or tab open at a time. Even if I did have multiple windows and desktops running, that little hesitation wouldn't make me angry enough to return it lol. Some people...

I don't think you're talking about the same lag that we are. We mean stuttering Mission Control, juddering transitions between Spaces, etc. Totally, totally obvious, and if the rMB doesn't do it then it's a first for any retina Mac.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I don't think you're talking about the same lag that we are. We mean stuttering Mission Control, juddering transitions between Spaces, etc. Totally, totally obvious, and if the rMB doesn't do it then it's a first for any retina Mac.

Have any examples? If its such a huge issue, there has to be video somewhere.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Well, yeah, it is indeed a 'huge' issue and there are loads of videos. Here's one: http://youtu.be/J9hGJeLwRbA

Ive seen that before and as the post mentions, its a limited number of people who are complaining about it. Your average user doesn't sit there minimizing and expanding windows over and over again or sit there firing away on the MC key lol. People are MAKING it an issue and its quite stupid. Buy hey, if you want to spend $2500+tax on the high end rMBP 15 so you don't have to see a split second lag, Im sure Apple would love to take your money!

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Its just one of those things i cant stand, it affects me on xbox one games that have low FPS aswell, it annoys the crap out of me. Ill be replacing my 2011 MBA with a 2015 MBA, i would love a hi res screen but that ui lag is unbearable and for the price Apple charge i want perfection.

Your 2015 MBA screen is what I couldn't stand. It amazes me that you can put up with that TN screen yet not ignore an almost imperceptible amount of lag. I don't expect to ever notice it but I will love the retina screen.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

----------

Your posts are my favorite. You're courteous yet also not afraid to add a bit of an attitude when it is warranted.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Your 2015 MBA screen is what I couldn't stand. It amazes me that you can put up with that TN screen yet not ignore an almost imperceptible amount of lag. I don't expect to ever notice it but I will love the retina screen.

Seriously. I tried to convince myself the 2015 MBA I had was superior to the MacBook because of the ports and processor but that screen, my God. I returned it 3 days after I bought it. Its embarrassing Apple still sells a new MacBook in 2015 with that horrid TN display, much less what they charge for it. I'll gladly put up with a split second lag to never have to look at that MBA display again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.