Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
I noticed that my iPad 4 has become slower than what it used to be. Is there a way to return to older OS? Would all the apps still work if I do that? Tnx!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple doesn't sign older versions of iOS unless the current version isn't compatible. In that case it will sign the newest version of iOS that is compatible.

Honestly, not what you want to read but, with the iPad 4 being 32bit it's time to take it out back and put it out of its misery -- actually yours. Sure, you could still use it as you are, but I can't imagine that is an enjoyable experience. I just got rid of a mini 2 because it was feeling too slow and that is a newer generation than the iPad 4. And 32-bit apps are not long for this world. Very soon there will be nothing updatable about you iPad, not even the apps. Many will go unsupported and stop working period.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there a way to return to older OS?
Nope, you can only move forward and the issue of older iDevices running slower on new iOS rubs many people the wrong way.

In all honesty, that was one factor I had considered when deciding on upgrading my ancient iPad Mini. I knew I couldn't take advantage of the newer features or performance in the later versions of iOS.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Apple doesn't sign older versions of iOS unless the current version isn't compatible. In that case it will sign the newest version of iOS that is compatible.

Honestly, not what you want to read but, with the iPad 4 being 32bit it's time to take it out back and put it out of its misery -- actually yours. Sure, you could still use it as you are, but I can't imagine that is an enjoyable experience. I just got rid of a mini 2 because it was feeling too slow and that is a newer generation than the iPad 4. And 32-bit apps are not long for this world. Very soon there will be nothing updatable about you iPad, not even the apps. Many will go unsupported and stop working period.
Does the new iPad or iPad mini use the same itunes store. in other words, will I be able to use all the apps I've purchased on the iPad 4 if I upgrade to the new iPad or iPad mini?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Does the new iPad or iPad mini use the same itunes store. in other words, will I be able to use all the apps I've purchased on the iPad 4 if I upgrade to the new iPad or iPad mini?

Yes. All apps on your account are on your account for life. Back up with either iTunes or iCloud as you normally do. When you get your new iPad and plus it into iTunes you will be asked if you want to set up as a new iPad or install an existing library. Your iPad 4's library should populate. If you want to keep that one on your new one just select that one and once it's finished it will be set up exactly as your current iPad.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Yes. All apps on your account are on your account for life. Back up with either iTunes or iCloud as you normally do. When you get your new iPad and plus it into iTunes you will be asked if you want to set up as a new iPad or install an existing library. Your iPad 4's library should populate. If you want to keep that one on your new one just select that one and once it's finished it will be set up exactly as your current iPad.
Tnx! so ipad mini apps are the same as ipad apps? All my apps on ipad 4 can be used on the new ipad mini too?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Tnx! so ipad mini apps are the same as ipad apps? All my apps on ipad 4 can be used on the new ipad mini too?

Yes, all iPad apps are the same. The apps have code in them to conform to whatever kind of iPad its installed on. Any app you buy can install on any (compatible) iPad and on multiple iPads you own as long as you sign in on the same iTunes account. If the app is "universal" you can install on any (compatible) iPad and iPhones you own.

By "compatible" I mean the iDevice and version of iOS installed conforms to the requirements of the app. Some apps require a recent version of iOS to work so if you have an older iPad with obsolete version of iOS it might not install. But that isn't an issue if your iPad is up-to-date with the latest version.

Reactions: Sebastian79

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Just some information to help you decide:

iPad Mini = $399US has A8 processor 128GB ( 7.9 display )
iPad = $329US has A9 processor 32GB ( 9.7 display )

Student education store gets discounts:

iPad Mini = $379
iPad = $309

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Just some information to help you decide:

iPad Mini = $399US has A8 processor 128GB ( 7.9 display )
iPad = $329US has A9 processor 32GB ( 9.7 display )

Student education store gets discounts:

iPad Mini = $379
iPad = $309

Looks like Apple also will give $110 trade in for the iPad 4.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wonder what they do with all the old devices they get...

I know With older model iPhones that are no longer supported or are obsolete, Apple has them disassembled and recycled appropriately by project Liam, which is a robot that breaks down the iPhone parts to be reused or refurbished. I'm not entirely sure if the same applies to iPads.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-liam-iphone-recycling-robot-photos-video-2017-4

http://mashable.com/2016/03/21/apple-liam-recycling-robot/

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Looks like Apple also will give $110 trade in for the iPad 4.
The local store is selling the new iPad for $370 and are offering me $115 for the old iPad 4. no education discounts on iPads, just MBPs.

So I can get myself a new one for an extra $255. I'll be losing the LTE, which I don't use very often. So what do you guys think? Is it worth it?

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
The local store is selling the new iPad for $370 and are offering me $115 for the old iPad 4. no education discounts on iPads, just MBPs.

So I can get myself a new one for an extra $255. I'll be losing the LTE, which I don't use very often. So what do you guys think? Is it worth it?

If you rarely use LTE, then just tether when you need it and get yourself a new iPad! You won’t regret it :)

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

Which model is it for $370? I assume that isn't US dollars.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
It is US dollars. It is the base model. But in the Middle East ;)

For $255, it will be a great upgrade. iPad 4 is only 32 bit so no new apps. The A9 processor and 2 gig of RAM will be leaps ahead of iPad 4 for performance.

I recently traded one of the 16 gig Air 2's that we owned for one, mainly for the extra storage. I wasnt really expecting it in everyday usage, but I can actually notice performance improvements over the air 2.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

I believe iPad Mini 4 will update to iOS 11 next month. There's a chance some apps will not be supported with the new iOS if they are old and the creator does not update them from 32 to 64 bit. I have a few apps that will vanish next month.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For $255, it will be a great upgrade. iPad 4 is only 32 bit so no new apps. The A9 processor and 2 gig of RAM will be leaps ahead of iPad 4 for performance.

I recently traded one of the 16 gig Air 2's that we owned for one, mainly for the extra storage. I wasnt really expecting it in everyday usage, but I can actually notice performance improvements over the air 2.

I personally feel the 2017 9.7 iPad is an excellent value. And for $329, it's a great device for somebody that wanted to upgrade from an older iPad or experience the iPad away from the Pro features if somebody wasn't interested in those. The only drawback that prevented me from upgrading, was the lack of laminated display and having an air gap. More specifically, I think touching the display appears to be more plasticky and the reflection.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
I personally feel the 2017 9.7 iPad is an excellent value. And for $329, it's a great device for somebody that wanted to upgrade from an older iPad or experience the iPad away from the Pro features if somebody wasn't interested in those. The only drawback that prevented me from upgrading, was the lack of laminated display and having an air gap. More specifically, I think touching the display appears to be more plasticky and the reflection.
even compared to the ipad 4?

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

I compared the reflectivity of my iPads under a fluorescent light in kitchen. It definitely seems a bit more plasticky then the air 2 but I can deal with it. Colors seem better on 2017 ipad. I don't mind the missing coating, I actually prefer glossy screens and am used to them. My desktop is a Dell 23" screen which is glossy, not matte. Colors shine on that.

Bottom iPad is air 2 , top is new 2017.

IMG_0408.JPG

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
The local store is selling the new iPad for $370...
Can you order directly from Apple.com? Have it shipped to your location?

Apple typically delivers to my house in 2-3 days and my work in 1-2 days. I have actually ordered something at 11am and it arrived the next morning using standard shipping from Apple.com

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Can you order directly from Apple.com? Have it shipped to your location?

Apple typically delivers to my house in 2-3 days and my work in 1-2 days. I have actually ordered something at 11am and it arrived the next morning using standard shipping from Apple.com
Not in the Middle East. Only through local resellers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.