Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Well, I sent off an email myself too. Also, last night I was playing a game for ~an hour (stuttering the whole time) and when I quit, I realized the GPU temp had been hovering at 67 degrees celsius the *entire* time, with the GPU clock at 300MHz... not even jumping up and down at all.

Yeah I heard from Apple Support again, refund out of the question.
I must say I didn't make a fuzz though. So I guess someone angry and loud enough could possibly get further.
-I'm more of the "...okay then" type :p

I did write an email reply to mr. Cook afterwards.
Nothing angry or spiteful, just wanted to point out that there is a big problem with their chosen GPU and that they might have a mob of disappointed customers on their hands down the line if nothing is done.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Yeah I heard from Apple Support again, refund out of the question.
I must say I didn't make a fuzz though. So I guess someone angry and loud enough could possibly get further.
-I'm more of the "...okay then" type :p

I did write an email reply to mr. Cook afterwards.
Nothing angry or spiteful, just wanted to point out that there is a big problem with their chosen GPU and that they might have a mob of disappointed customers on their hands down the line if nothing is done.

I would fight for a refund if you can prove it doesn't function as intended under OSX (because Windows isn't "officially supported").

I've escalated to Apple higher ups before with great success but I had to berate the manager in a 2 hour convo to get what I want.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I only have a 2014 rMBP with a discreet 750m and I rarely game, but just got Fallout 4 and installed Windows 10.

It's kind of amazing how high of the settings I can turn up with this modern game that came out pretty much today.

My question is, will this damage the rMBP? The fans (obviously) kick up pretty high during gaming. I would say the max I would game would be an hour a day at most

If playing a game in Windows damaged the laptop due to heat, it wouldn't be a very good laptop...

Every modern laptop automatically shuts down if the heat levels get to unsafe levels. So, enjoy the game!

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
I always considered spite one of the great motivating forces behind human achievement.

Also it is the motivation behind all the stupid **** I perpetrate upon the world.

"How about overclocking?"
I said with the nonchalance usually reserved for the French.

I had the, frankly Einsteinian level genius, idea that one could perhaps try overclocking to fight the throttling or at least force the card to run on a constant power draw.
-Obviously, for those who understand these things, I don't know a lot about how stuff actually works.

******** aside:

In pure spite I downloaded Saphire Trixx and tried overclocking the M370X.
Changing the maximum clock speed of the gpu-core changes the levels it throttles down to.

Normally when the gpu is at 800 MHz it first throttles down to 725 once it stays over 85°C, then stays on 675 and dips to 400 whenever it goes over 75°C.
-it will go as low as 300 sometimes.
But after overclocking to 950MHz it first goes down to 790-ish, then stays around there but still dips down to 400 when it gets "hot".
(I write "hot" because 75°C is NOT HOT DAMMIT!)

I haven't done extensive testing yet, but I don't think this is a solution to anything.
Even if the gpu goes to 770-790 instead of 625, it will probably dip more frequently down to 400 since it gets hotter faster.
Or something, as I've probably revealed already; I'm out of my depth here.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I always considered spite one of the great motivating forces behind human achievement.

Also it is the motivation behind all the stupid **** I perpetrate upon the world.

"How about overclocking?"
I said with the nonchalance usually reserved for the French.

I had the, frankly Einsteinian level genius, idea that one could perhaps try overclocking to fight the throttling or at least force the card to run on a constant power draw.
-Obviously, for those who understand these things, I don't know a lot about how stuff actually works.

******** aside:

In pure spite I downloaded Saphire Trixx and tried overclocking the M370X.
Changing the maximum clock speed of the gpu-core changes the levels it throttles down to.

Normally when the gpu is at 800 MHz it first throttles down to 725 once it stays over 85°C, then stays on 675 and dips to 400 whenever it goes over 75°C.
-it will go as low as 300 sometimes.
But after overclocking to 950MHz it first goes down to 790-ish, then stays around there but still dips down to 400 when it gets "hot".
(I write "hot" because 75°C is NOT HOT DAMMIT!)

I haven't done extensive testing yet, but I don't think this is a solution to anything.
Even if the gpu goes to 770-790 instead of 625, it will probably dip more frequently down to 400 since it gets hotter faster.
Or something, as I've probably revealed already; I'm out of my depth here.

Sadly I think it's EFI controlled :(

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
P.S. I would say that Apple used AMD because of a combination of 3) and 4). It is fairly certain that AMD was giving their chips at a lower price and that they were ready to accommodate extra wishes Apple had such as the custom 5K video output for the iMac.

I would say so too. I know people are searching for that magic reason (better performance on this specific app, or metal, etc.), but the most likely reason for AMD in all their machines is financial. It's almost always the case that AMD GPUs are not on par with their NVIDIA equivalent. Actually, I can't remember when AMD had the better card.

bkrbyndr

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2014
Stockholm
I have play GTA V and Metal Gear Solid 5 on my macbook pro M370X without any problem with good performance i have no problem :p ( on windows 10 ) But yeah fans makes a lot noise :))

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I would say so too. I know people are searching for that magic reason (better performance on this specific app, or metal, etc.), but the most likely reason for AMD in all their machines is financial. It's almost always the case that AMD GPUs are not on par with their NVIDIA equivalent. Actually, I can't remember when AMD had the better card.

AMD has better OpenCL calculation performance than nVidia, but nVidia is a much better GPU overall.

Apple probably went with them (And to save money on bulk purchases) for that since they support open standards and some of their apps like FCPX use OpenCL.

dingobiatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
I have play GTA V and Metal Gear Solid 5 on my macbook pro M370X without any problem with good performance i have no problem :p ( on windows 10 ) But yeah fans makes a lot noise :))

Hey man, could you do me a huge favor and download GPU-Z, and monitor your clock speed over the first... 5 minutes of gaming? Very curious to see what happens to your clock speeds... maybe it's only a small batch of laptops that have my issue?

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Hey man, could you do me a huge favor and download GPU-Z, and monitor your clock speed over the first... 5 minutes of gaming? Very curious to see what happens to your clock speeds... maybe it's only a small batch of laptops that have my issue?

Please do, if you have time.
Remember to go to the second tab in the GPU-Z window and check the box that says "log readings" or something like that.
It will then continuously log a range of observations, second to second, to a txt-file on you computer.
Please share the log with us if you do :)

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Heard from Apple again today.

Said that Apple Engineering would like to look at my machine.
Offered to send me a new machine in return.

Figured I might as well take the offer, might get more for a brand new Mac if I try selling it.

Reactions: SDAVE

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Heard from Apple again today.

Said that Apple Engineering would like to look at my machine.
Offered to send me a new machine in return.

Figured I might as well take the offer, might get more for a brand new Mac if I try selling it.

Awesome! See, being forceful helps. :D

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Awesome! See, being forceful helps. :D

The thing is, I only wrote a quick and polite reply to Cook's address 11 (or so) days ago.
And today the same guy I talked to last time called to say they'd discussed the matter further with their engineers and wondered if I could send the Mac to them.

DHL will be making a pick-up tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to wipe the storage and reinstall OS X before then.

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
Fallout 4, GTA V & MGSV all run well on my rMBP. Now it may be only 720p and low settings but still good for on the go gaming :)

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
The thing is, I only wrote a quick and polite reply to Cook's address 11 (or so) days ago.
And today the same guy I talked to last time called to say they'd discussed the matter further with their engineers and wondered if I could send the Mac to them.

DHL will be making a pick-up tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to wipe the storage and reinstall OS X before then.

That's awesome, man, politeness goes a long way! By forceful I meant not giving up. Apologies, should've reworded.

You could never get this kind of care from Dell or HP or whatever. Apple really puts love into their products, and if they mess up things they try to correct it.

I'm hoping with your help, Apple will try to take into consideration GPU thermal heat issues with AMD gpu's.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
That's awesome, man, politeness goes a long way! By forceful I meant not giving up. Apologies, should've reworded.

You could never get this kind of care from Dell or HP or whatever. Apple really puts love into their products, and if they mess up things they try to correct it.

I'm hoping with your help, Apple will try to take into consideration GPU thermal heat issues with AMD gpu's.

Don't worry, no offense taken, in the slightest ;)

I really hope so too.
I deeply wish that this excessive throttling is just a fluke and can be corrected with a software update.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I deeply wish that this excessive throttling is just a fluke and can be corrected with a software update.

I think it can be via an EFI update. My rMBP heats up really high and the case becomes almost bareable in terms of touching it, and it still funct

dingobiatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009

Please keep us posted on this... I've emailed both Tim Cook and a contact I made while talking to tech support, and neither have gotten back to me, so I haven't done much else. Oh, I did find a way to hack the installation for the latest AMD Crimson drivers to work with my m370x, but it didn't help at all.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Please keep us posted on this... I've emailed both Tim Cook and a contact I made while talking to tech support, and neither have gotten back to me, so I haven't done much else. Oh, I did find a way to hack the installation for the latest AMD Crimson drivers to work with my m370x, but it didn't help at all.

Will do!
The machine was just picked up by DHL. I doubt I'll get the replacement before the holidays.

Yeah I tried Crimson too.
Did F-all with regards to throttling.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gpu-clock-throttling-and-fluctuating.1889609/

Halo 3 surfer had a possible fix in this thread, they say that the total power draw always favours the CPU so if you restrict that to a level where it's fine for the game but not very high the GPU can draw the extra power.

Definitely worth a try!
I've only tried turning it down to 99%, wish I'd tried turning it drastically down.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Wondering if you got your new machine in? Any change?

As a matter of fact the mailman dropped of the machine today.

I don't recon there's any change.
The throttling is intended and expected behavior according to Apple. So it is reasonable to expect all of them to be sodding useless.

I do not intend to open this machine. I imagine I'll get more in return by selling an unopened Mac.
-which I intend to do, I'm certainly not keeping it.

Theros

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
As a matter of fact the mailman dropped of the machine today.

I don't recon there's any change.
The throttling is intended and expected behavior according to Apple. So it is reasonable to expect all of them to be sodding useless.

I do not intend to open this machine. I imagine I'll get more in return by selling an unopened Mac.
-which I intend to do, I'm certainly not keeping it.

I got tired of having the throttling issues and ended selling my mac.

After all, im happy with my current machine (Asus G751JT), not the most recent but enough for my needs (I have already a desktop with 6700K and SLI for daily use).

Im really sad with the path that Apple is taking. Isn't worth to pay more than 2000 dollars for a machine with throttling issues (that applies for any brand).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.