Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Wait, what?

I've seen them four times since 2001 and they look and sound amazing! What am I missing?

From my understanding, some, if not all the songs Dennis wrote, he owns the rights to and doesn't let Styx play them because he owns them. Some of the bigger hits are his. That is what I was told from some folks who have seen them.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve heard them all a thousand times too, but there are new generations of listeners who never heard them before. So it’s brand new to those ears who may have the same enthusiasm for those songs as older listeners did back when they were first released.

The main reason why rock isn’t as dominant as it was back then has more to do with the music industry than lack of current talent of which these days there is plenty who have the advantage of further iterating on everything previously created. PBS ran a series back in the early 2000s called “the way the music died” which outlined the changes that occurred to the music industry behind the scenes over the years. It’s still true today and it’s only gotten much worse. Whereas talent and creativity drove the industry in the past, now it only driven solely by maximizing profit. Nothing wrong with that except the music industry these days seems to regard talent and marketing as mutually exclusive.

An amplified guitar in the right hands is one of the most emotionally expressive instruments ever created. And emotional expression is the pillar of great music regardless of generation, mine yours or anyone else’s.

My complaint is that popular music rock/pop morphed from a group of musicians with unique clearly distinguishable voices into this generic synthesized sound where it is hard to tell one vocalist from a other. And the music itself has morphed the same way.

Heard today, not rock, but post 2000 pop and enjoyable to listen to:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
From my understanding, some, if not all the songs Dennis wrote, he owns the rights to and doesn't let Styx play them because he owns them. Some of the bigger hits are his. That is what I was told from some folks who have seen them.

I don't know about all that. Each time I've seen them they've played their best songs, and many by DeYoung - The Grand Illusion, Come Sail Away, Lady, Suite Madame Blue, Rockin' The Paradise, and I've read that they've even started playing Mr. Roboto again (thankfully I missed that one).

They generally don't play Babe, but I suspect that has more to do with Tommy and JY not liking the song than anything else.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I don't know about all that. Each time I've seen them they've played their best songs, and many by DeYoung - The Grand Illusion, Come Sail Away, Lady, Suite Madame Blue, Rockin' The Paradise, and I've read that they've even started playing Mr. Roboto again (thankfully I missed that one).

They generally don't play Babe, but I suspect that has more to do with Tommy and JY not liking the song than anything else.

Interesting. I wonder if this has changed post 2017/18... Glad to hear that is the case!!! Maybe next time they come around I will give them a go!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2022-
Do you feel good if you got the chance to grow up or live during the Golden Era of Rock? I certainly do.

• In the 1990s as my son listened to Rammstein, I asked him he if thought he’d be listening to that in 10 years? He was’nt.

Not a bad presentation if you like Metal. :)
  • In the mid 1990s a Beatles Anthology was released and became the number one seller in the USA among young teens/high school students.
  • Today I heard on NPR that the number one song recently on TikTok was Put Your Head On My Shoulder (1959) and Elvis is big.

I’m open to the idea of new and exciting Music. If you look at the 1950s is was quite a revolutionary break from the big band sound to Rock’ Roll. My feeling is that today there are too many synthesized lead voices that all sound alike, that the Rock genre has been abandoned, and even Pop music has taken a dive as compared to the 1950-approx 1980s. Most restaurants today even those that cater to young adults are reported to be piping in rock‘n roll, because there is nothing new that is worth a damn. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: satcomer

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
2022-
Do you feel good if you got the chance to grow up or live during the Golden Era of Rock? I certainly do.

• In the 1990s as my son listened to Rammstein, I asked him he if thought he’d be listening to that in 10 years? He was’nt.

Not a bad presentation if you like Metal. :)
  • In the mid 1990s a Beatles Anthology was released and became the number one seller in the USA among young teens/high school students.
  • Today I heard on NPR that the number one song recently on TikTok was Put Your Head On My Shoulder (1959) and Elvis is big.

I’m open to the idea of new and exciting Music. If you look at the 1950s is was quite a revolutionary break from the big band sound to Rock’ Roll. My feeling is that today there are too many synthesized lead voices that all sound alike, that the Rock genre has been abandoned, and even Pop music has taken a dive as compared to the 1950-approx 1980s. Most restaurants today even those that cater to young adults are reported to be piping in rock‘n roll, because there is nothing new that is worth a damn. :unsure:

Funny you mention Rammstein... I have been listening to them well over 25 years, mid 1990's. Still listen to them today and going to see them in concert. I have tickets for their stadium tour, but it keeps getting postponed due to COVID. I freaking love them.

I have been listening to KISS for over 40 years... Every time they come into town I get tickets and have seen them several times in places I had to either fly or drive to. I know a lot of folks don't like them, but that is ok. I love em.

Reactions: Huntn

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
My theory about rock-related music is that peoples' taste freezes whenever they leave school for the last time.
;-)

Now, personally, I'm stuck in the late 80s/early 90s (reference points: Sub Pop, Amphetamine Reptile, Too Pure, Dischord (the record label, not the online service!), SST, Twin\Tone, Frontier, Blast First, Matador). My current fave label is Three Lobed Recordings (mostly drony, psychedelic, free form sounds) but I've actually been spending a lot more time listening to jazz, orchestral, and music used in dance pieces, both live and recorded, over the last decade or so.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Funny you mention Rammstein... I have been listening to them well over 25 years, mid 1990's. Still listen to them today and going to see them in concert. I have tickets for their stadium tour, but it keeps getting postponed due to COVID. I freaking love them.

I have been listening to KISS for over 40 years... Every time they come into town I get tickets and have seen them several times in places I had to either fly or drive to. I know a lot of folks don't like them, but that is ok. I love em.
There’s always the exception! ;) :)

Reactions: rhett7660

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I’m going to admit that when My son was listening to Rammstein in the 1990s, I gave them a serious shot at trying to like them but their lyrics in German were harsh and their songs were too dark for me. Then I listened to the performance at Madison Square Garden, video I linked, and was impressived with the music and overall presentation, but the lyrics are so dark, I’d rather not know them. ;) Deutschland, 2019, seems to be the same trend. :)

Ich tu dir weh (I Hurt You)​

Versions: #1#2#3
You live only for me
I stick medals into your face
You are entirely devoted to me
You love me because I don't love you

You bleed for my salvation
A little cut and you're turned on
The body already completely disfigured
It doesn't matter, whatever pleases is allowed

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams

With you I have the choice of torment
Barbed wire in the urethral tract
Throw your flesh in salt and pus
At first you die, but then you live more

Bites, kicks, hard blows
Needles, pliers, a blunt saw
What you wish, I don't say no
And insert rodents into you

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams

You are the ship, I'm the captain
Where should this journey go?
I see your face in the mirror

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/ich-tu-dir-weh-i-hurt-you.html

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I’m going to admit that when My son was listening to Rammstein in the 1990s, I gave them a serious shot at trying to like them but their lyrics in German were harsh and their songs were too dark for me. Then I listened to the performance at Madison Square Garden, video I linked, and was impressived with the music and overall presentation, but the lyrics are so dark, I’d rather not know them. ;) Deutschland, 2019, seems to be the same trend. :)

Ich tu dir weh (I Hurt You)​

Versions: #1#2#3
You live only for me
I stick medals into your face
You are entirely devoted to me

You bleed for my salvation
A little cut and you're turned on
The body already completely disfigured
It doesn't matter, whatever pleases is allowed

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams

With you I have the choice of torment
Barbed wire in the urethral tract
Throw your flesh in salt and pus
At first you die, but then you live more

Bites, kicks, hard blows
Needles, pliers, a blunt saw
What you wish, I don't say no
And insert rodents into you

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams

You are the ship, I'm the captain
Where should this journey go?
I see your face in the mirror

I hurt you
I'm not sorry
It's good for you
Hear how it screams
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/ich-tu-dir-weh-i-hurt-you.html

I freaking love that song by the way... and yes they tend to be a little darker. Not all but most of the songs have dark and sometimes traumatizing themes (to some).

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

This is where bands like Nightwish really shine. They are unique in not only being a band that is symphonic metal, and that since 2000 (they formed in 1997), every album they have made has been recorded with an orchestra. In fact, they have the London Philharmonic Orchestra and the London Voices Choir on permanent retainer. Their lyrics are very much open to interpretation (according to keyboardist/songwriter/founder Tuomas Holopainen), but are deep, as they range from being influenced by Walt Whitman (as referenced in their song Song of Myself, which is based off a story of the same name by Whitman) Edgar Allen Poe (Tuomas inserted himself into Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum in his song The Poet and the Pendulum), Richard Dawkins (The Greatest Show on Earth is based off of his book of the same name), and recording the best cover of Phantom of the Opera that Andrew Lloyd Webber stated he has ever heard.

You'd like that band and everything they have done, as they are arguably one of the best bands on the planet.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.