Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's sad on the radio these days (Houston Metro)- lots of Country *and* Western and Tejano stations, several "fluffy" pop stations, 1 Classical, 2 Jazz, and 1 Classic Rock Station. The CRS shines as a beacon of a great movement in music history that now seems extinguished. In a brief period heard- Highway To Hell, Crazy On You, and Cocaine. These songs are as riveting today as when they were created.

Is anyone still creating new Rock, besides the old guys who are about to keel over? :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Reactions: A.Goldberg

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Is anyone still creating new Rock, besides the old guys who are about to keel over? :p

Rock is still alive. It just occupies a slightly different place in the cultural universe than it did thirty years ago.

And people are still making great Rock music. Like Muse's Knights of Cydonia; Monster Truck's Sweet Mountain River. Or the Arctic Monkey's R U Mine.

Rap, Hip-Hop; Dance; and Country music seem to have siphoned off a lot of the pop-cultural energy. And the Timberlake/Bieber Justins are the hotel rooms outside of whose today's teenybopper groupies are camped.

But don't make any mistake. Rock is still the heartbeat of America. The mistake is thinking that it died sometime between the coming of Disco and closing of CBGB.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Rock is still alive. It just occupies a slightly different place in the cultural universe than it did thirty years ago.

And people are still making great Rock music. Like Muse's Knights of Cydonia; Monster Truck's Sweet Mountain River. Or the Arctic Monkey's R U Mine.

Rap, Hip-Hop; Dance; and Country music seem to have siphoned off a lot of the pop-cultural energy. And the Timberlake/Bieber Justins are the hotel rooms outside of whose today's teenybopper groupies are camped.

But don't make any mistake. Rock is still the heartbeat of America. The mistake is thinking that it died sometime between the coming of Disco and closing of CBGB.

I was basing my statement on what's on the radio. I sure can't find anything I'd call Rock'n Roll... :(

Last edited:

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I keep hearing about the Arctic Monkeys. I should check them out finally to see what they sound like.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
I'm an even older codger, and I think rock & roll, with some very few exceptions, died out in the very early '70s.:(

I prefer to think both of you are correct, and yet incorrect - rock and roll kind of plateaued it's way out over a couple decades, from 1975 to around 1995 or so.

....or maybe an eve older codger will say anything released after Rock Around the Clock isn't true Rock N Roll.. :D

For me, I classify Rock as different from Rock and Roll. R&R is more like Elvis stuff. Rock is broader.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
We just lost our big rock station yesterday when they were sold off to Christian rock. (shudders)

Sam thing happened to Atlanta several times. All of the rock stations were dismantled and replaced with Christian, Country, or Latino music. A pretty good variety station (rock, oldies, progressive, pop, etc) station was replaced with a 24-hour sports talk station.

I think there might have been one or two which have cropped back up in the last couple of years.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Sam thing happened to Atlanta several times. All of the rock stations were dismantled and replaced with Christian, Country, or Latino music. A pretty good variety station (rock, oldies, progressive, pop, etc) station was replaced with a 24-hour sports talk station.

I think there might have been one or two which have cropped back up in the last couple of years.
The "Active Rock" format is dying out. Unfortunately classic rock is taking over. While I have nothing against classic rock I miss my newer heavier stuff. We now have 3 classic stations and no active rock.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The "Active Rock" format is dying out. Unfortunately classic rock is taking over. While I have nothing against classic rock I miss my newer heavier stuff. We now have 3 classic stations and no active rock.

And that's why I'm happy I have satellite radio in my car, and can stream it on my computer. One of my favorite stations would never be a broadcast radio station. Plenty of choices over there.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
The Google Music Timeline (below) shows how the approximate popularity of the Rock genre and its sub-genres over time. The Rock era unfolded as more and more Baby Boomers entered adolescence.

Screen shot 2014-08-03 at 1.47.19 AM.png

Chapter 8 of the book, This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession, unsurprising, concludes that the genres and styles of music heard in childhood tend to dictate what we listen to in later life, and musical preferences are heavily influenced by social factors such as what "our group" listens to.

For many, music preferences are sealed at an early age. If you don't make the effort learn to appreciate new and different types of music, then what you were raised on is what you'll keep listening to the rest of your life. Anything outside of that narrow and limited range sounds "wrong". You only recognize certain genres as being "good", because you're trained your brain to react in that way.

Remember how your parents complained that the music of your generation wasn't "real music"? Congratulations. You've turned into your parents.

Renzatic

Suspended
Chapter 8 of the book, This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession, unsurprising, concludes that the genres and styles of music heard in childhood tend to dictate what we listen to in later life, and musical preferences are heavily influenced by social factors such as what "our group" listens to.

So there's actual scientific proof that lends credence (clearwater revival) to something I've been saying for years now. That the music you liked when you were 18 is pretty much the music you'll like for the rest of your life.

Huh. I am a genius unawares.

edit: to get slightly on topic, you can't talk about 2000's+ rock without mentioning the Queens of the Stone Age at least once:

In style and presentation, they're very much an offshoot of Led Zepplin. Hell, the lead singer and drummer even had a side project going on with John Paul Jones a couple years back.

Last edited:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
So there's actual scientific proof that lends credence (clearwater revival) to something I've been saying for years now. That the music you liked when you were 18 is pretty much the music you'll like for the rest of your life.

Huh. I am a genius unawares.

I think you're definitely on to something! :p

Per the book's author:

Our brains are maximally receptive -- almost sponge like -- when we're young, hungrily soaking up any new sounds we can, incorporating them into the very structure of how our neurons are connected to each other.

But as we age, our neural circuits become less pliable, so it become more difficult, on a deep neural level, to learn new music systems.

edit: to get slightly on topic, you can't talk about 2000's+ rock without mentioning the Queens of the Stone Age at least once:

YouTube: video

In style and presentation, they're very much an offshoot of Led Zepplin. Hell, the lead singer and drummer even had a side project going on with John Paul Jones a couple years back.

There's new old music still being created. It's just harder to come across than it used to be. But "life finds a way" -- and user created "custom radio stations", aka Pandora, come into play.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In the Boston area, there's two classic rock stations, then mostly pop stuff, that play the same music over and over.

Most people listen to the pop stuff at this stage, radio stations follow the trends, and less people are listening to rock and more to the bubble gum pop crap that is playing.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I love Rock music. But I avoid "Classic Rock" stations like the plague. Why?

Because I've heard pretty much every track on their daily playlists about a thousand times and, unless the mood or circumstances call for it, I don't need to hear them again.

Take a look at this list of the Top 15 Most played Classic Rock songs. They are all good songs - but I'm borderline sick of most of them.

The only time I listen to music on FM radio is if I happen to catch one of the curated shows presenting new music in genres I like. If you never listen to new music, or at least music thats new to you, then you end up fossilizing in your musical tastes. Frozen in time. And thats not a good place to be.

Don't be a dinosaur. Because "Classic Rock" radio stations are what killed Rock Music - not rap, country, or anything else.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I love Rock music. But I avoid "Classic Rock" stations like the plague. Why?

Because I've heard pretty much every track on their daily playlists about a thousand times and, unless the mood or circumstances call for it, I don't need to hear them again.

Take a look at this list of the Top 15 Most played Classic Rock songs. They are all good songs - but I'm borderline sick of most of them.

The only time I listen to music on FM radio is if I happen to catch one of the curated shows presenting new music in genres I like. If you never listen to new music, or at least music thats new to you, then you end up fossilizing in your musical tastes. Frozen in time. And thats not a good place to be.

Don't be a dinosaur. Because "Classic Rock" radio stations are what killed Rock Music - not rap, country, or anything else.

Even on Sirius with dedicated by decade rock channels, there are play lists. :-/

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I think that most generations think that their music was the only real “Rock”

The Beatles were seen as a “Boy Band” in the very early years. It’s one of the main reasons they stopped touring.

For me personally the “Rolling Stones” and “Bruce Springsteen” are how Rock should be remembered.

We have one radio station that plays Rock 24 hours per day, “Arrow Radio”

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think that most generations think that their music was the only real “Rock”

The Beatles were seen as a “Boy Band” in the very early years. It’s one of the main reasons they stopped touring.

For me personally the “Rolling Stones” and “Bruce Springsteen” are how Rock should be remembered.

We have one radio station that plays Rock 24 hours per day, “Arrow Radio”
Springsteen is an interesting case. I don't think of him as heavy as say The Stones, he had good pop radio style music. This is why you hear his stuff played all over the place.

Music is generational, although there is something to be said for todays music sucking. Because it does.:p To me the 70's were the pinnacle of rock music, Zeppelin, Floyd, The Doors. Queen. Sure the 80s brought in the metal with Metallica and then the hair showed up. But it all really started in the 70's

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
I hate myself for doing this, but I'll be okay with it in an hour or so.

It's Rock 'n' Roll, not Rock'n Roll. Rock can't die, we won't let it. Some of us had kids just to make sure, but I might have to put something in my will just in case.

High, I'm rrl, and I say, "Rock 'n' Roll Lives."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.