Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yeah, but I don't like first turning on and unlocking my phone and looking for a button every time I want to pause/rewind etc.. Much easier just to push a physical button, especially if it's a well designed remote that I don't even have to look at. Besides, I don't watch Netflix etc. on my phone, so I'm not really used to their tiny screen UIs.
I agree. Oh, and if you love to control TV with your phone Roku has an app for it. You never have to touch Roku's simple remote (that is, apparently, so difficult to understand). Also the functionality of Chromecast can be found in most of the other devices (e.g., miracast), but not the reverse.

Mike

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Roku is great, but its user interface is butt-ugly, even with the latest updates. This is the main reason why I prefer Apple TV 4.
I don't know. Sure, the ATV4 interface is more flashy, but the Roku's is easy enough to navigate and they have themes. I usually like the "Daydream" theme, but since I'm currently binging "Penny Dreadful", I have set a special PD theme. ;) They also often have seasonal themes that are a big hit with kids (e.g. usually they have a "spooky" theme around Halloween).

Regarding the ads, they are all movie/TV related and really no worse than the iTunes store items you see at the top of the ATV homescreen.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Yeah, but I don't like first turning on and unlocking my phone and looking for a button every time I want to pause/rewind etc.. Much easier just to push a physical button, especially if it's a well designed remote that I don't even have to look at. Besides, I don't watch Netflix etc. on my phone, so I'm not really used to their tiny screen UIs.

We all have our preferences, find I it much faster just opening the Netflix app than fiddling around with the remote, but more importantly with search, whether via keyboard or voice.
To each their own, but the Roku remote is something best tossed in the trash for me.

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
What the hell was the point of Apple putting out their AppleTV with a USB port that you can't use?!

Anyway, it's way better deal than Apple TV and by that extension, better than the Roku as well.

So, everything you mention on your mi box, Roku has. Im not sure what your pointing to when you say by extension its better then Roku. Roku has the same features, indeed they have more. As it is with the ATV, the mi box doesnt support Amazon. So roku supplies ALL major streaming channels and does everything the mi box does, so how is mi box a better deal????

Reactions: milo and Plutonius

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I think phones make terrible remote controls, so the Chromecast is out for me.
They are and dispite what the paid shills say it also drains your battery servery when casting which is why I disconnected both my Chromecast and the terrible Chromecast audio.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
We all have our preferences, find I it much faster just opening the Netflix app than fiddling around with the remote, but more importantly with search, whether via keyboard or voice.
To each their own, but the Roku remote is something best tossed in the trash for me.
This is an odd example in my opinion, since Netflix has its own button on the Roku remote. Are you saying that pressing that one button is harder than unlocking your phone and then finding/opening the Netflix app?

Mike

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't think Apple has any interest in developing any device that sells for $29.99.

Yes and cheap price was entirely behind my post... the ONLY thing that Roku has going for it. :rolleyes:

My post was about focus & effort... and not really a dig at Apple as much as praise for what a little team with a relatively tiny pot of cash can do. I'd love to see Apple go at :apple:TV5 like Roku goes at their products... meaning, treat it like it's Apple's only product and make the best possible incarnation of an :apple:TV ever.

Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I've been fairly happy with my Roku 4. I had to add some tall rubber feet underneath it to allow extra airflow around it because it would get too hot and lock up. Plus I added a USB fan behind it for some active cooling as well, though I probably didn't have to go that far.

Since I added the rubber feet its only locked up a couple of times. Otherwise its been a pretty good device.
You're fairly happy with a consumer-level device that locks up from overheating regularly (vs. "only a couple of times"), when used as intended, out of the box? I'd call that mediocre barely-functional design. If Apple made it, there'd be class action lawsuits.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You're fairly happy with a consumer-level device that locks up from overheating regularly (vs. "only a couple of times"), when used as intended, out of the box? I'd call that mediocre barely-functional design. If Apple made it, there'd be class action lawsuits.
Yes. It doesn't happen regularly. It happened the first time I bought it; felt how hot it was, put rubber feet under it and since then, about 6 months now, it's only locked up maybe 2 or 3 times.

Despite that, I'm quite happy with it.

Reactions: milo

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
When you present anything out of context, like you did with the buttons there by cutting them out individually, you can manipulate things to make it look a certain way. In context (and in practice) however, the buttons are not at all confusing unless you're trying to make it appear that way.

At work we call them "stubusers" (stubborn users that abuse the luddite philosophy, yet still need tech). People that force themselves into the "idiot" category when it suits them or is of benefit to them, even though they purport to be smart and insist on being taken seriously in other, closely related categories (again) when it suits them or is of benefit to them. They feel very entitled to having it both ways so they can "be right" without regard for any argument to the contrary no matter how much fact is presented.

First, it was the user who first responded to me that put me into the idiot category. I just went with it because idiots are people too. #idiotlivesmatter

Second, you and someone else above said the buttons are not confusing when viewed in context or by comparing to their nearby buttons. This is incorrect for two reasons. (1) The design of an icon or a visual cue on the button should stand on it's own. Users should not have to search around for context, especially when the task is common and trivial - going back in the menu. (2) In arguendo, the context here does not lend any help. This button
upload_2016-9-26_14-27-0.png
being in the same row as
upload_2016-9-26_14-27-15.png
and
upload_2016-9-26_14-27-27.png
, and above
upload_2016-9-26_14-27-45.png
does not help understand what that little circular arrow does? It looks sort of like the refresh button on an internet browser, but it's above the linear player controls which implies it has something to do with linear controls. On the flip side, it's next to a search icon and a totally ambiguous asterisk which implies it is not related to linear controls. What does this button do?

Third, it's funny that a few folks have tried to poke holes in my argument but none have actually answered the question: which of the buttons is actually the back button in the UI?

I want Roku to be better. I like the idea of a company other than Apple, Google, Amazon, or Microsoft innovating this category. I want there to be some serious competition in the set-top box category. But I will not give this company a pass for having such an awful user interaction design year after year. Especially when it is their fifth generation of products - their user interaction design should not be so awful.

Reactions: CarlJ

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Third, it's funny that a few folks have tried to poke holes in my argument but none have actually answered the question: which of the buttons is actually the back button in the UI?
Maybe no one took you seriously. I didn't, since I apparently assumed it was rather obvious. The back button is the first button on the remote. The one that points back.

Mike

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
$69 gets you Android TV from Xiaomi, the Mi Box (which has really nice specs and is 4K capable)
That looks like potentially a pretty nice/capable little box.
What the hell was the point of Apple putting out their AppleTV with a USB port that you can't use?!
At what point did Apple excitedly advertise the USB port to you as a useful feature for consumers? The only mention of it on their page for the AppleTV – not on the main page, but under "Tech Specs" – is, "USB‑C for service and support". "Service ports" on consumer devices (especially TV-related) are not exactly a new thing. Would you be happier if they dreamed up some proprietary connector for this instead? Or hid it behind a little door that says, "Do Not Open" on it? Or are you just looking for more things to complain about?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Second, you and someone else above said the buttons are not confusing when viewed in context or by comparing to their nearby buttons. This is incorrect for two reasons. [...]
The one next to the home button of course. :p

Reactions: milo

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
That looks like potentially a pretty nice/capable little box.

At what point did Apple excitedly advertise the USB port to you as a useful feature for consumers? The only mention of it on their page for the AppleTV – not on the main page, but under "Tech Specs" – is, "USB‑C for service and support". "Service ports" on consumer devices (especially TV-related) are not exactly a new thing. Would you be happier if they dreamed up some proprietary connector for this instead? Or hid it behind a little door that says, "Do Not Open" on it? Or are you just looking for more things to complain about?

They aren't complaining of false advertising, they are complaining of a missed opportunity. If Apple has wanted to, they could have included a USB port that served both functions.

I'm not surprised, though, Apple hates thumb drives. Schiller went on a rant about them when he introduced AirDrop, IIRC.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Except that you don't have to have iTunes on the top shelf on the ATV4. I'm also one that thinks Roku needs to update their UI.
You have in the top shelf whatever the currently selected app wants ... which in most cases are ads for content offered by that app.

Personally I think the top shelf occupies way too much room. I'd rather see another row of apps.

Reactions: Cougarcat

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
This is an odd example in my opinion, since Netflix has its own button on the Roku remote. Are you saying that pressing that one button is harder than unlocking your phone and then finding/opening the Netflix app?

Mike
Unlocking? Touch ID is instantaneous. The interface is better and everything is faster. Can't emphasize the keyboard alone as a MAJOR plus on the app.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
the 5 different models thing is not necessary. All they need is a stick and a set top box. Right now this looks like an excuse to uncharge for "features" like you get at a car stealership
I sure looks like the top three boxes are just adding or deleting features and cutting the price. The top model or Ultra appears to be aimed at those without a modern AVR that support HDMI. The premiere + is good for those with a modern AVR that do not need the Optical Audio out and it saves you $40.
I am using a ROKU 4 at the moment and seen no benefit in upgrading. I have never experienced any of the problems that I see reported on the ROKU 4 it has been rock solid, does not overheat or lock up and has no fan noise.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I have generally liked our Roku but I'm reluctant to buy another after their lousy support for software upgrades for the unit we have. And it was bad not long after we got it (things like never adding support for multiple users in Netflix).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I have generally liked our Roku but I'm reluctant to buy another after their lousy support for software upgrades for the unit we have. And it was bad not long after we got it (things like never adding support for multiple users in Netflix).

Not sure Apple will please you either. Not only are they relatively quick to quit updating "units we already have" (like :apple:TV3) but we all just waited for about a year to get a switch from white background to black and features like single sign in. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for some very simple features of :apple:TV1 to be resurrected in this :apple:TV4- stuff like using the "Show" tag to allow serialized movies like Star Wars or Harry Potter to show as one line item in the movie list instead of 6 and 8 movies. Or if that seems too discrete for the (always) defenders, how about just getting fast forward and rewind working very well?

Note: I think :apple:TV is great- have owned them all- but it consistently feels like a 2 steps forward, 1 step back or sometimes 1 step forward, 2 steps back product in how useful features get dropped, non-useful features get added, fundamental features get broken, gold masters go out with bugs that make one wonder if there was any real-world testing beforehand, etc.

Reactions: ssgbryan

thebroz

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Arizona
There are a couple things about these boxes (Roku, AppleTV, etc) that bother me.
1: You cannot record streaming video with any of them. This means you're stuck watching ads. Ads waste a lot of time. Ad skipping was available way, way back when Sony introduced the betamax.
2: You can't record streaming video, meaning you cannot keep a copy of anything locally. Many of the providers limit the time any given video is available. Movies "expire," TV shows "expire" and you can't watch it again unless you pay for it.
3: Nobody ever seems to consider TiVo boxes, which combine your set top box, and streaming services into one box. Searching for programs across all services is seamless. And, it records, and skips ads.

HOWEVER, even the TiVo can't record from streaming services. I wonder if there's a way to record streaming video that's integrated into TiVo, or other box...

Regardless, as long as we can't record and can't skip ads, I see these streaming services as a big step backwards.

Reactions: tonyr6

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Unlocking? Touch ID is instantaneous. The interface is better and everything is faster. Can't emphasize the keyboard alone as a MAJOR plus on the app.
Pressing the Netflix button on the remote and pressing the home button on a phone is a wash, TouchID or not. But on the Roku, that one button will launch the app whereas unlocking a phone does not. So, again, not a good example of how chromecast is easier or faster.

Also, every streaming device's app has a keyboard, so it's really nothing to shout about.

Mike

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
I have Roku, Apple TV (3 and 4) and chromecast. If I need to rewind or forward, ATV4 remote does not work well. Chromecast is worse. In those situations, I like to use Roku or ATV3 remotes.
Are you joking? The ATV4 remote is the easiest to RW or FF with. You can either click the side to jump 10 seconds, or click the center and scrub to the exact time you want. Or you can use Siri to go to whenever you want.
[doublepost=1474922832][/doublepost]
There are a couple things about these boxes (Roku, AppleTV, etc) that bother me.
1: You cannot record streaming video with any of them. This means you're stuck watching ads. Ads waste a lot of time. Ad skipping was available way, way back when Sony introduced the betamax.
2: You can't record streaming video, meaning you cannot keep a copy of anything locally. Many of the providers limit the time any given video is available. Movies "expire," TV shows "expire" and you can't watch it again unless you pay for it.
3: Nobody ever seems to consider TiVo boxes, which combine your set top box, and streaming services into one box. Searching for programs across all services is seamless. And, it records, and skips ads.

HOWEVER, even the TiVo can't record from streaming services. I wonder if there's a way to record streaming video that's integrated into TiVo, or other box...

Regardless, as long as we can't record and can't skip ads, I see these streaming services as a big step backwards.
If you want to watch something whenever you like without ads, then buy the digital copy from iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, Google, wherever.

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
I have an Apple 3 mainly because of all my Apple devices that I can use with it. And it is a perfectly good device. But I have had Rokus ever since they appeared and all (except the 4 when it first came out and had the heat and fan problems which got it sent back) have worked perfectly without a single problem. The Roku 3 is an especially easy unit to use in every sense of the word and the headphone jack was a great addition when you needed to listen silently (I had nephews living with me while going to college and I am a late night TV watcher).
Plus there are literally hundreds of channels you can check out and add many unique to the Roku eco-system and many more that you would never find on the ATV. The Rokus are my go to device for my streaming (Amazon Prime when, Apple?) and the ATV has become my new niche device when I need it (like when I want to AirPlay my niece's soccer games using my iPad Pro or MacBook Pro). Hence I'll probably be buying their new Ultra unit rather than the ATV4 since a 4K display is on the horizon for my HT and my familiarity with their devices. No knock on the ATV3 I just like everything Roku has done with their devices. (By the way, never had a problem with the buttons on any of my remotes and I'm 62).
[doublepost=1474924198][/doublepost]Also upon further reading there's this:"Specifically, with many HDR-capable TVs, it is not possible to enjoy Dolby Atmos soundtracks concurrently with HDR video, even if the streaming service offers it, as is the casewith Vudu. However, by directly connecting an HDR-capable Roku to a Dolby Atmos soundbar, pre-pro, or AVR with HDMI, you can." Again, they always seem to offer just a little bit more of the things you want in a streamer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.