Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
About time too...I really hope they get this right, it's not like they haven't had time...The one thing that people new to Macs struggle with the most is the itunes interface, and I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to set it up and explain where things are...It's the most illogical, poorly designed application Apple have ever written IMO, and It's an integral part of the entire Mac experience...Fingers crossed.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I'm all for Apple making a slim and sleek iTunes, but it won't make me use it more. I became sick and tired of having to pay $5-20 for an album, or 69-99¢ for a song, if I wanted to listen to some new music. I signed up for Spotify Premium on launch day last July. I pay $10 and I can play Spotify through home audio systems, I can save the music for offline use on my iMac, iPhone, (and soon) my iPad as well, I can use it on my mobile, there is no advertising, it's 320kbps streaming, I can use Spotify abroad if I travel internationally, and I can listen to millions of songs for one flat fee.

For example, Passion Pit's new album "Gossamer". If I wanted to listen to the new album, I'd have to pay $9.99 in the iTunes Store to listen to it. But, since I pay $9.99 a month, I can listen to Gossamer, practically for free.

Because I can pay $10 a month for all the music I can pump into my ears, versus paying upwards of $20 for each album I listen to, I ditched iTunes. The only reason I have content stored in my iTunes Library is because I listen to Mac OS Ken's Podcast, and Energy 98's TLR Podcast, and I need it to put music on my iPod Shuffle for exercise.

I've practically completely ditched Apple's media standards, at least for music.

djshack

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I'm all for Apple making a slim and sleek iTunes, but it won't make me use it more. I became sick and tired of having to pay $5-20 for an album, or 69-99¢ for a song, if I wanted to listen to some new music. I signed up for Spotify Premium on launch day last July. I pay $10 and I can play Spotify through home audio systems, I can save the music for offline use on my iMac, iPhone, (and soon) my iPad as well, I can use it on my mobile, there is no advertising, it's 320kbps streaming, I can use Spotify abroad if I travel internationally, and I can listen to millions of songs for one flat fee.

For example, Passion Pit's new album "Gossamer". If I wanted to listen to the new album, I'd have to pay $9.99 in the iTunes Store to listen to it. But, since I pay $9.99 a month, I can listen to Gossamer, practically for free.

Because I can pay $10 a month for all the music I can pump into my ears, versus paying upwards of $20 for each album I listen to, I ditched iTunes. The only reason I have content stored in my iTunes Library is because I listen to Mac OS Ken's Podcast, and Energy 98's TLR Podcast, and I need it to put music on my iPod Shuffle for exercise.

I've practically completely ditched Apple's media standards, at least for music.

Spotify's model will likely be the future of music, and until Apple can come up with a similar service, the iTunes Store will likely suffer.

Even with iTunes Match, I'd still need to pay $9.99-$12.99 or so per album, as opposed to $9.99 a month for everything with Spotify.

I do understand the repercussions on the music industry (particularly the artists, as Warner saw major profits from streaming services), but regardless, the future lies in such streaming services.

FWIW, the people who use Spotify (including myself) contribute more money to the music industry than we may have in the past by downloading torrents.

shulerg

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
Spotify's model will likely be the future of music, and until Apple can come up with a similar service, the iTunes Store will likely suffer.

Even with iTunes Match, I'd still need to pay $9.99-$12.99 or so per album, as opposed to $9.99 a month for everything with Spotify.

I do understand the repercussions on the music industry (particularly the artists, as Warner saw major profits from streaming services), but regardless, the future lies in such streaming services.

FWIW, the people who use Spotify (including myself) contribute more money to the music industry than we may have in the past by downloading torrents.

Steve Jobs and Apple made their bet years ago that people want to own the content they purchase, whether in the record store or digitally. With Spotify, you're paying for the right to license content for personal use. It's a subtle but important difference, one with which a lot of consumers (if they are aware) are uneasy.

Add to that the fact that Spotify is a raw deal for artists, as you mentioned. iTunes is the better deal for them, and for Spotify to thrive, they need to be a competitive alternative, which translates to shrinking margins for them. Maybe they will do this.

I wouldn't be surprised if iTunes is working on a more useful streaming model, and if so, their scale alone represents a challenge for companies like Spotify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.