Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ablashek

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Paraguay
Icon

Thats all fine, I just hope they change the Icon!
The Blue is sooooo Ugly.

And yes, it would be nice if iTunes had a sleeker look.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I liked it better when MR kept to the 3rd person and approached things from a more professional reporting standpoint.

I hate to criticize, but the overall article is written very informally. Take this sentence:

It would make sense -- the iCloud is meant to be "the truth", with all other devices (including your Mac and PC) backing up to it.

I know what he means, but it is a very odd and informal choice of words. Not exactly the best fit for a front-page post.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I think it is pretty clear that Apple would like to follow the model of iOS: separate stores and apps for their respective content.

A music app for...well music! An iTunes Store for buying content, a video application to watch your videos, and an iBooks app for books.

iOS is being used by millions and millions of people and this system has been understood by them (I have not seen many complaints) so why not make it more consistent? This makes the most sense to me. The evidence is in iOS whether people like it or not!

The fact that iOS 5 split the iPod app up is pretty telling for when iOS 5 is released and Apple makes changes to Lion.

And with iCloud services all of the apps will communicate together by making sure your content always shows up (buying a song in iTunes puts the songs on iOS and vice versa)

Here's my take on the redesign.

5988832224_4f690a1163_o.jpg
This is beautiful! I think this is it. Remember when everyone was saying how the iPad music app looked like the full iTunes app? Now the iTunes app will look like the iPad app! I sure hope so at least since the new one is really clean looking

birch25

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2005
That instantly rules it out for me then..

The free version has ads. If you pay the monthly fee there are none. If that's not enough for you, then you're just asking for on demand access to 18 million songs for free, which is ridiculous.

Joelb955

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
We Can be sure that the iTunes 11 Gui will be a hint towards The Next Mac OS Be it 10.8 or 11.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Better tagging support would be appreciated. Tags like what you see in blogs or in iPhoto, that is.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
We Can be sure that the iTunes 11 Gui will be a hint towards The Next Mac OS Be it 10.8 or 11.

I agree. Apple puts ideas into iTunes first when it comes to some of the UI changes...such as the gray icons last time.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Sooner or later they are going to have to rename the app, aren't they?

Music is just ONE of many things they offer now!

Maybe they will have to have a Mac App Store app, and a iOS App Store app.

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
Sooner or later they are going to have to rename the app, aren't they?

Music is just ONE of many things they offer now!

Maybe they will have to have a Mac App Store app, and a iOS App Store app.

Don't know what they should name it ("iMedia" sounds really stiff), but I do know how I'd like it to work.

Single app, as now, but make the interface more like iBooks on the iPad. Each type of media has it's own tab that flips around to it's store. Could even be a "triangular flip" where the third side is that media type's sync settings on a per device & iCloud basis, to be managed even while devices are offline.

iTunes has become a "brand" unto itself. Even though it no longer describes everything the application does, I don't really expect a change. But a UI overhaul to better reflect and compartmentalize all the stuff it does is long overdue.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Don't know what they should name it ("iMedia" sounds really stiff), but I do know how I'd like it to work.

Single app, as now, but make the interface more like iBooks on the iPad. Each type of media has it's own tab that flips around to it's store. Could even be a "triangular flip" where the third side is that media type's sync settings on a per device & iCloud basis, to be managed even while devices are offline.

iTunes has become a "brand" unto itself. Even though it no longer describes everything the application does, I don't really expect a change. But a UI overhaul to better reflect and compartmentalize all the stuff it does is long overdue.

Funny thing they are introducing yet another media catalog/store style with iOS 5 namely Newstand which behave kind of like a springboard folder but hold many, many more apps and from what we understand from the automatically pulls all the apps of that type. Plus it has a Store button to take you to the right part of the store.

I really wonder why that same idea isn't used for different media types as well all it would really need is some indication that item of the media collection isn't on the device in question then tap to download from iCloud.

They could treat iTunesLP's as Apps that don't need a player as the controls are part of the interface. Then also let us make Playlists of any item as one of these media folders by make a search token in the App Store.

As it's stands between Mac, iPhone and iPad there really is a bad level of things not have a clear notion of where they should or could be. That could really benefit from a good stream line. Maybe iCloud will bring more information when it's released or it'll be part of ongoing updates.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
64-bit for Windows please, and can it be less bloaty?

Mine seems to freeze on a very regular basis when doing very simple things.
Especially when I connect my iPhone or iPad to it, it freezes up for a solid minute, plus it takes nearly a minute to open. This is the same across my 3 PC's with varying specs.

Previous 64-BIT versions were ok, but the most current release hangs a lot for me. I'm disgusted that they released it in this state.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
The current iTunes works for me, and suits my purposes, a redesign is always nice. I just hope they don't go along the route they displayed with iCal :(

I would hate if they tried a redesign to resemble an analog looking music player. I've been so used to the current design, I cannot even think of what they could do to "better" it...

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
The features and UI don't bother me that much. I am concerned, however, that they may be planning to drop support for Mac OS X 10.5 (and the PPC processor.)

It's one thing to say that I need to upgrade iTunes in order to sync a new model iDevice or to buy content from the Store. It's quite another to say I need to buy a new Mac system in order to do this.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The features and UI don't bother me that much. I am concerned, however, that they may be planning to drop support for Mac OS X 10.5 (and the PPC processor.)

It's one thing to say that I need to upgrade iTunes in order to sync a new model iDevice or to buy content from the Store. It's quite another to say I need to buy a new Mac system in order to do this.

As Apple fans have posted in other threads, you should have known this was coming in 2005.

Apple pulls more money from your wallet by forcing you to send a perfectly functional machine to the toxic waste recycling depot.

Remember Deep Throat's advice....

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
As Apple fans have posted in other threads, you should have known this was coming in 2005.

Apple pulls more money from your wallet by forcing you to send a perfectly functional machine to the toxic waste recycling depot.
Force nothing. They push too hard, my next PC is a Dell running Linux. Most of the music in my iTunes collection is unprotected and will play just fine on whatever software I find for that platform.

If they think I'm going to buy a $2000 computer in order to service a $50 iPod, they're insane.

Apple makes great products, but their assumption that customers are a bottomless pit of cash is going to bite them, and pretty soon, I think.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I really want them to ditch the horrible 1990's gameboy looking yellow tinted progress/playback section at the top of the screen...it looks atrocious and VERY outdated. I hope it resemble the iOS players...use blue progress bars and a sleeker look.

kingledley

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
So is this expected to happen? Any further rumours?

Still want them to separate the whole lot and have iTunes just for music.

musicofmelkor

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
This is going to have touch gestures built in, right? Right?
Probably my biggest complaint with iTunes beside all the bloat is the lack of gestures. Why the hell is it taking ya so long, dammit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.