Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Now for a reality check: The Retina MBP is significantly cheaper than a 15" MBP with comparable processor, RAM, and SSD. It is also significantly cheaper than a Dell Alienware laptop with comparable processor, RAM, and SSD. It comes with a quad core processor capable of doing 60 GFlops, has 16 GB of RAM, runs three external monitors in addition to the built-in one which is the best laptop monitor that you can buy for any money, weighs about four pound, has 7 hours battery life, from a battery that does 1,000 charges, and is so successful that it is sold out already for the next weeks.

Yeah, Apple really screwed people.

(Only if you are trying to sell a high end ultrabook that isn't made by Apple. In that case, yes, you are screwed).

Haha. True. But don't forget, Apple also screwed "pros" who can't connect a dongle to a firewire or ethernet cable. :p

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
MacRumors;15096970As [url="https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/215181759980126208" said:
noted[/url] by developer Steven Troughton-Smith, users running Windows on the new Retina MacBook Pro can also take advantage of the full display resolution, simply setting the resolution in preferences within Windows.

Requires a hack in Mac OSX, but a simple setting in Windows....not surprised.

LOL - so true....

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Now for a reality check: The Retina MBP is significantly cheaper than a 15" MBP with comparable processor, RAM, and SSD. It is also significantly cheaper than a Dell Alienware laptop with comparable processor, RAM, and SSD. It comes with a quad core processor capable of doing 60 GFlops, has 16 GB of RAM, runs three external monitors in addition to the built-in one which is the best laptop monitor that you can buy for any money, weighs about four pound, has 7 hours battery life, from a battery that does 1,000 charges, and is so successful that it is sold out already for the next weeks.

Yeah, Apple really screwed people.

(Only if you are trying to sell a high end ultrabook that isn't made by Apple. In that case, yes, you are screwed).
When people compare about the price of the rMBP, this is exactly what they need to know. Yes, it's expensive, but that doesn't mean that it's overpriced. It's probably the best laptop you can get for that price.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Correction..the rmbp is the best disposable laptop in the world now. Makes me think apple has been spending much too much time in China.

craznar

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
This would be great on a 17".

I need matte + 1900x1200 for me to have any use for it.

That means I would prefer 17" over 15".

Either way the new rMBP is as useful as a brick for me.

----------

Which one of your 15" Wintel laptops has a 2880x1800 screen? Oh, none... that's right.

Which one of your Mac laptops has a 17" screen? Oh, none ... that's right.

Bob each way :)

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
I'm surprised too. I figured this was a native option.

Is there a setting like this in OS X?
fyR57.jpg

Not that I am aware of, unfortunately. I also don't think you can change icon size in the finder, can you (other than for the dock)?

Requires a hack in Mac OSX, but a simple setting in Windows....not surprised.
The "hack" is only required to switch to use 2880x1800 at 1:1 scaling which results in comically small elements on the display. So it isn't something that anyone would normally do... you know Apple is about presenting sensible things to users. They don't care if you use existing screen configuration API to do crazy things, they just aren't typically going to present the crazy thing to a normal user.

The following is what you are able to do and it presents several options that result in reasonable physical dimension.

Note my mouse was over the gray boarded "more space" on the right which triggered the gray text you see in various places. ...and yes if you click on this image you can see the real pixel dimension of the capture with is 2x (in each dimension) what it looks like on the display

Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 6.47.06 PM.png

Last edited:

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Your comment actually helped me understand what the article was saying better than the actual article. I'n sure it's not a difficult concept but I'm not much of a computer person. I'm trying to decide between a retina and non-retina MBP right now.
I think people are misunderstanding Retina when it comes to the new MacBooks. There are many objects to consider. Why use up the horsepower just drawing a teeny-tiny desktop? You have 4K! You can drive 4 1080p monitors! (With no lag.) Ultimately, apps, and websites, need to be updated so its windows and buttons look great. Then there's windows: FCP X has a 1080p Preview window! Text is beautiful. If you have a 4K movie file, watch it. But when you leave the movie, I want to have a normal resolution. You want 1/4 size apps? Not me.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Your comment actually helped me understand what the article was saying better than the actual article. I'n sure it's not a difficult concept but I'm not much of a computer person. I'm trying to decide between a retina and non-retina MBP right now.
Go see one if you can in an Apple store... it is the best way to understand how nice they are and how nice the screen is.

I am loving mine for code development with crisp text!

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I need matte + 1900x1200 for me to have any use for it.

That means I would prefer 17" over 15".

Either way the new rMBP is as useful as a brick for me.

----------

Which one of your Mac laptops has a 17" screen? Oh, none ... that's right.

Bob each way :)

I remember some where Apple said they would have an update next year for their pro users.

This retina would be more useful to "Pro" users such as photographers and graphic designers if they had a bigger screen, more real estate to use without having to use a magnifying glass to read a normal page with out having to zoom in, put your face to the screen or change the resolution.

I have a good feeling something bigger than a 15" would be coming next year.

When people do this hack to use all the resolution to their new retina 15" they'll notice that they'll have to change something to read stuff, such as switch the resolution or make web browsers zoom larger.

This is probably why Apple did not allow for a simple way to use the full resolution without the hack. They like simplicity and doing all that extra work to complete a task other than surfing the net or watching a youtube video would be more work for consumers having to change settings all the time.

Something a little ironic, cell phone screen sizes are now in high demand of bigger screens and now the laptops are are getting smaller screens.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
This explain why I set up a HDTV 1920x1080 frame in photoshop and I could not display it at 100%.
I asked the Mac genius and he could not explain why.
Seriously it's a joke Apple doesn't allow to simply set it up on the system preferences pane. The beauty of this screen is the amount of real estate the high resolution offers.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Im am a pro and a computer that is not serviceable in the field in remote locations is not useful to me, retina or not. Disposable hardware is a liability.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
The beauty of this screen is the amount of real estate the high resolution offers.
...and you get all of that real estate when looking at images, video, and countless other things that love having pixels all without having to change any settings (default retina mode).

Also in the default retina mode you get UI elements and text at normal sizes so you can actually see them and work with them again all while getting full access to all of the pixels for content that truly can use those pixels.

You can also adjust the scale if you want using the standard displays system control panel (not just up to 1:1) giving you more physical space by shrinking UI elements but you lose the fidelity gains of course and will have a harder time interacting with them.

Folks should play with the interactive image under the retina section on the following page if you don't fully get what is going on with this display. (of course real life use of it is the best to get a sense of what it is like)

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/features/

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
The beauty of this screen is the amount of real estate the high resolution offers.

Pure UI space can only take you so far. It has to be comfortable to use as well. A 1440x900 might be a little cramped for some applications, but full on 2880x1800 scaled on a 15 inch screen? That's like...like

...I'm playing around in Photoshop right now, and I don't even want to think how microscopically tiny some of the smaller interface buttons would be on that.

For example, here's your adjustments layers tab...

...find Hue/Saturation

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I find 1900x1200 too small on my 17" Mbp. I can't imagine the higher resolution on a 15" screen as being useful for most things.

----------

Im am a pro and a computer that is not serviceable in the field in remote locations is not useful to me, retina or not. Disposable hardware is a liability.

A pro what? Wrestler? Oil rigger?

weaponEX

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
UK
MOUNTAIN LION will fix everything - although it's weird that they couldn't have released ML at the same time as the rMBP?

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Hmm, "verything". Is this an argument for intelligent design?

I would argue that the vast majority of things in the universe do not have a concept behind them.

The burden of proof is on the positive.

Ah, so you are a realist and think things exist in themselves somehow. That is a concept too! Sadly everything we know about the world is bound by our concepts and without them there is no understanding of what is. All you can say, perhaps, is what Parmenides did, that everything is one, or maybe that there is "stuff" out there. Notice, stuff and oneness are concepts... Perhaps you prefer utter silence, I dunno.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
MOUNTAIN LION will fix everything - although it's weird that they couldn't have released ML at the same time as the rMBP?
ML wasn't finished by the time WWDC rolled into town, it was still being sampled to developers to iron out bugs. Besides, there is no point for Apple to wait until ML hits RTM (to use a Microsoft term) to release its Macbook lines with the Ivy Bridge update, when every other company outed theirs after Intel officially launched its dual-core IvB chips.

Before June 11, most places were talking about the ASUS Zenbook Prime - what with 1080p on a 11" dual-core ultrathin - and whatever interesting laptops out of Computex e.g. Toshiba's IvB + 21:9 laptop. After June 11, it's all MBPR territory. Apple literally pulled the publicity rug from the underside of Computex.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
I sometimes regret the HD option of my MBP. Too small for my eyes (I hit 40 this year)... So imagine this...

IF I ever get a rMBP, it would be for the "crisper" 1440x900 resolution not the "kill my eyes in 2 months resolution".

But that's just me. To each his own!

Me too and I'm only 34. I change to blurry-but-bigger nonstandard resolutions whenever I use an external monitor as my main (and am viewing my laptop monitor from a slight distance). Luckily our MBPs remember recent monitor arrangements so I dont have to set it each time. I hope that the rMBP includes the new retina scaling options in the same workspace settings memory. At least in a year or so when I might consider upgrading.

Last edited:

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Line producer commercial films 35mm 30 years and counting.. my needs go beyond the initial wow factor of a screen to gear that is not a liability. This was mac for me since they came on the market in the early 80's ..but sadly not anymore so it seems.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
While Apple's new Retina MacBook Pro includes a display measuring 2880x1800 pixels, the default display options do not allow users to run their systems at that full resolution. Instead, the extra pixels are used to display a higher level of detail on a canvas representing the previous 1440x900 resolution.

After reading the entire post, I can see what the author was trying to say here… but boy, that has to be one of the most confusing and potentially misleading descriptions of what Apple has done here with the new display and OS settings. No wonder there are so many arguments here amongst readers. It seems the idea of UI elements being fixed at a set pixel size is so entrenched in our way of thinking that we have trouble even describing a different system.

The new display will always display 2880 x 1800 pixels. That's all it can do. It's a question of how large or small the OS renders certain elements.

From the referenced screen shot it would seem that Apple at least has got it right by avoiding any reference to specific pixel dimensions, which would more likely only confuse users:

retina_macbook_pro_display_preferences.jpg

Instead, they have defaulted to a 'Best for Retina display setting' which makes the UI elements appear to be roughly the same size as the user is accustomed to seeing them on previous generations of Macs, by displaying that at twice the normal resolution. That is a form of resolution independence which means that users can get most of the benefits of crisp high-resolution graphics without all the UI elements becoming miniscule. (I say 'most' because it will take some time for developers to update their apps, and I imagine it will be a long time before most of the Web catches up with these advances.)

But the way this post was written kind of implies that Apple is somehow holding out on users by not delivering them the full capabilities of their new display, which is not true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.