Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b0blndsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2010
Illinois
- "not authorized by Apple"?

If I buy the hardware I will do with it as I please. :mad:

Ditto. I think they should allow the customers "customize" the rMBP and other Apple products. The reason why we're buying them is to enable us to do whatever we want in the best form that serves us.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
uh? it double pixels, same aspect ratio.

Did you see the picture I was referring too? less pixels == J.Lo... More pixels == Roseanne...

I know the retina is double the pixel in each direction (well, quadruple to be picky).

----------

...and a sense of humor is a helluva thing to have.

I don't know if you think I was being ignorant or something, but I was being silly, regarding the J.Lo (I think) vs Roseanne comparison.

That was one case where it's better to not know and be happy.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
- "not authorized by Apple"?

If I buy the hardware I will do with it as I please. :mad:
Ditto. I think they should allow the customers "customize" the rMBP and other Apple products. The reason why we're buying them is to enable us to do whatever we want in the best form that serves us.

Except the above quote is simply a confused, knee-jerk reaction to a poorly worded article. 'Not authorized by Apple' here simply means that Apple hasn't built the functionality into its user interface. And since the only real benefit (if you can call it that) of doing what the article suggests you might want to do is to make everything really tiny and almost impossible to read, why would Apple build this into the UI? It makes no sense. But, if for some inexplicable reason you want everything to be really tiny and almost impossible to read, your Mac is free for you to tinker with as you wish via the Terminal—Apple provides this tool to you free of charge, for you to screw with your system as much as you like.

Who would want to do that? Even the 1920x1200 is super small.

The 'Best for Retina' option puts everything at the same PHYSICAL size as the 1440x900, but have you seen the clarity you get?

Why is this on the front page? Throw this article into the Mac Blog.

Mate, you actually got it spot on with your comment, but the fact that you got voted down to -17, while belltree's comment is at +23, simply demonstrates the amount of confusion surrounding this topic, not helped by this post at all unfortunately.

Gopeder

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Hum... "number of pixels horizontally and vertically" is 2880x1800. I think you mean "96 PPI pixel count equivalent scaled UI size". That's why we use "Resolution" even though it's not proper ;).

----------

That's exactly what you won't be able to see, unless you have a 1440x900 15.4 MBP. If you do, you can already get the size of elements without a screenshot from a MBPR. Grab a fullscreen shot of your 1440x900 desktop, use photoshop to scale it down to 720x450. make the zoom 100%. The size of icons/windows/buttons on the 720x450 image is what you'd get on a 15.4 MBPR at 2880x1800.

thats a stupid way to do it, it would be simple if someone took the time to take a picture before using the app and after so we can see the scale.... sigh

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
...and you get all of that real estate when looking at images, video, and countless other things that love having pixels all without having to change any settings (default retina mode).

Also in the default retina mode you get UI elements and text at normal sizes so you can actually see them and work with them again all while getting full access to all of the pixels for content that truly can use those pixels.

You can also adjust the scale if you want using the standard displays system control panel (not just up to 1:1) giving you more physical space by shrinking UI elements but you lose the fidelity gains of course and will have a harder time interacting with them.

Folks should play with the interactive image under the retina section on the following page if you don't fully get what is going on with this display. (of course real life use of it is the best to get a sense of what it is like)

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/features/

But the fact I can see a HDTV frame at 100% is annoying. I am a motion graphic designer and I ussualy work with several frames open at the same time when working remotely.
having them at 100% is a must.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I don't like the MBPR's display settings in System Preferences. They dumbed it down. I just want to set my resolution!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Exactly!! I've been blessed with 20/10 eyes. Finally, I don't have to run Terminal.app in 6 point fonts... :D:D:D:D

20/10 here too!! I've actually freaked people out reading road signs in the dark they couldn't see :D

The iPhone's Retina display was the best thing that ever happened to me.

----------

You won't have great eyesight after using this for awhile. :)

My mother used to say stuff like this. Reading books in the dark and looking at screens almost constantly for a living doesn't seem to have hurt.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
But the fact I can see a HDTV frame at 100% is annoying. I am a motion graphic designer and I ussualy work with several frames open at the same time when working remotely.
having them at 100% is a must.

I am not following you... you have a crap load of pixels to utilize to show video at a 1 to 1 pixel scaling (aka 100%) on this display... more then you ever could before in a laptop. If the software you are using isn't correctly leveraging the available pixels it should get fixed so it can.

Last edited:

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
it would be simple if someone took the time to take a picture before using the app and after so we can see the scale.... sigh

Note the video shown is sized to be 1920x800 (1080p source). In other words every pixel in the movie is visible when the window is sized as it is under the retina default setting. When non-retina scales are used I didn't bother to attempt to adjust this video size to maintain 100% pixel to pixel mapping for the video content. At this time the quicktime player isn't retina scaling aware so it doesn't size correctly automatically as you adjust the scale.

Larger Text Setting (max UI scaling)

%22larger text%22 setting.jpg

Retina Setting (default, ideal 2x scaling)

%22retina%22 setting.jpg

More Space Setting (min UI scaling)

%22more_space%22 setting.jpg

No Scaling Setting (it is comically small visually at not viewing distances)

2880by1800.jpg

...or stacked next to each other (no scaling left, max scaling right)...

Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 10.51.26 PM.png

(sorry I had to use jpeg so I could get under the size limit for uploading)

Last edited:

tjusafa14

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
Time to finally start posting so here are my thoughts...

I have yet to play with a RMBP but I think the 2880 x 1800 resolution workaround is great, if you can deal with the small text and size of everything awesome. Its obviously not the greatest choice for everyone depending on personal preference and eyesight factors but its nice that someone has made the option available.

The new preference pane for resolutions does seem a little limiting, no set resolutions just a simple selection that includes no numbers and a brightness slider that seems to be reminiscent of iOS. This reminds me even more about the clash of OS X and iOS which I don't like all that much. Some ideas are great like the notifications system and the Mac App Store, but when Apple starts taking away things like options for specific resolutions in favor of a simple iOS-like settings pane, I think they are going a little too far. But the Mac has a great community around it that can give those options back through hacks so its not that big of a deal ;)

I am going to my local apple store tomorrow to play with the RMBP so I will give my full assessment on the whole resolution thing tomorrow. I really need to replace this crappy Fujitsu laptop i'm chained to for school and the RMBP might be the computer i'm looking for

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Note the video shown is sized to be 1920x800 (1080p source). In other words every pixel in the movie is visible when the window is sized as it is under the retina default setting. When non-retina scales are used I didn't bother to attempt to adjust this video size to maintain 100% pixel to pixel mapping for the video content.

Retina Setting (default, ideal 2x scaling)
View attachment 344503

Oops had this video window undersized (one to many button clicks)... this one shows the 1080p video with one to one pixels showing when at default retina setting (aka 100% is being displayed yet the window is only that large on the display).

Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 11.02.08 PM.jpg

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
But...

Just saved this shot and displayed it fullscreen and aspect ratio correct on my 24" monitor. It was completely and totally unbearable. <snip> It's a neat little feature to show off, but it sure as hell isn't good for anything else but.

What resolution is your 24" monitor running at?

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Running a 2880x1800 desktop on a screen measuring only 15.4 inches diagonally obviously results in very small text and user interface elements, but for those willing to sit close enough to their screens to make the onscreen content readable, it may be an interesting option.

Only if you don't have a very long nose - it would prohibit you from getting close enough to the screen.

A workaround for long nosed users - not authorized by Apple - would be to turn head and nose to the side, and peer with one eye only at the screen.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
I can see a whole new range of Macbook accessories coming out soon :D

http://www.enablemobility.co.uk/magnifier-sheet-with-folding-stand-25-5-x-18cm

Funny, but
I was thinking that the retina will definitely hurt aftermarket accessories mainly in the hardware dept.. let alone kill the secondary used mac market. Who is going to be buying used macbook pro retinas even with applecare? as a throw away computer I would venture to say that resale value will be non existent.

grape ape

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
USA
for those have problems to understand the retina thing, it double the pixels, same aspect ratio.

Yes, your example is true. But your "retina" example looks great on my 11.5in MacBook Air screen and no matter how many more pixels is added, it won't look any better. All this retina stuff is doing is bloating and slowing apps, games, and so forth.

Now if I had a movie theater size screen, this whole ridiculously high resolution retina idea might make since. But not on screens as small as your average "tv size" or monitor size. Or whatever people are using for their Macs.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I don't like the MBPR's display settings in System Preferences. They dumbed it down. I just want to set my resolution!

The new preference pane for resolutions does seem a little limiting, no set resolutions just a simple selection that includes no numbers and a brightness slider that seems to be reminiscent of iOS. This reminds me even more about the clash of OS X and iOS which I don't like all that much. Some ideas are great like the notifications system and the Mac App Store, but when Apple starts taking away things like options for specific resolutions in favor of a simple iOS-like settings pane, I think they are going a little too far.

What you guys seem to be asking for is not only more confusing, but also less technically accurate. If you want the default ('Best for Retina display') setting to say '1440 x 900' resolution, most users are going to think that the display is operating at that resolution, when in fact it is operating at 2880 x 1800. You're still thinking in terms of the old screen resolutions when you use those numbers—they simply do not apply anymore. The screen on a new Retina MacBook Pro is and always will be 2880 x 1800 pixels. All you can do is change the physical size of what is rendered to that display, and that is what Apple's new preference panel reflects. In this instance, what you call 'dumbed down' actually makes a lot more sense practically speaking.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Yes, your example is true. But your "retina" example looks great on my 11.5in MacBook Air screen and no matter how many more pixels is added, it won't look any better. All this retina stuff is doing is bloating and slowing apps, games, and so forth.
...why don't you actually go look at one and see how the text looks on these screens or being able to see a full 5m pixel worth of an image or movie without scaling... before making such claims.

Last edited:

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
The headline is misleading, the resolution is 2880x1800 on the retina model. The setting changes how large the UI elements are, only.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
The headline is misleading, the resolution is 2880x1800 on the retina model. The setting changes how large the UI elements are, only.

Right, it's entirely misleading. Add another one to the small but growing number of people who get it. ;)

grape ape

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
USA
...why don't you actually go look at one and see how the text looks on these screens or being able to see a full 5m pixel worth of an image or movie without scaling... before making such claims.

Why would you assume I haven't? I know what it looks like and my text on my current Mac looks great. ;)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Funny, but
I was thinking that the retina will definitely hurt aftermarket accessories mainly in the hardware dept.. let alone kill the secondary used mac market. Who is going to be buying used macbook pro retinas even with applecare? as a throw away computer I would venture to say that resale value will be non existent.

Do you actually believe that nonsense from iFixIt? Contrary to what iFixIt says, the battery is easily replaceable (by going to the Apple Store and handing over $199. Compared to say a Dell, where you order a battery for $150 and take out your trusted old screwdriver). Contrary to what iFixIt says, you can replace the LCD screen without breaking it (just don't try to remove the glass cover which isn't there with your big fat fingers). Contrary to what iFixIt says, everything else can be repaired (what do you think UK consumer laws would say if a £1799 computer _cannot be repaired_ after two years? )

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
People seem to not get that even with the high resolution, its still just a 15" screen. Sure you get more screen real estate, but the extra details are so small, that it would actually hinder productivity. Even people with good eyesight are only human. The limit isn't the eyesight but the way our eyes work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.