Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Now we just need the right-click "search using Google" option to open a new tab instead of taking you away from the current page. (which is moronic)

Apart from that quibble, this should make an already great browser even greater.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Now we just need the right-click "search using Google" option to open a new tab instead of taking you away from the current page. (which is moronic)

Apart from that quibble, this should make an already great browser even greater.

try holding command while clicking search in Google. unless its opening in a new tab for me as i have "Always open browser window in tab" selected in Saft.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
WebKit r30109 has also passed 78/100 of the new Acid3 test. That is 20 more since just 10 days ago when the test became available. Quite impressive!

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
How could you even suggest that?

Oh. God. No.

Toolbars are horrific. 'nuff said.

Um...because the Google toolbar is actually useful? It works? It's quicker than using the lame, generic search that's in Safari? I honestly don't see how you can live without it.

Or are you guys old fashioned and just type in "www.google.com" and use their web-page to go and search? Do you also type out "http://" also while you're at it? Might as well as antiquated as you two seem to be. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should go back to the original Netscape, you may be more at home there. :D

At least give those of us that are in the 21st century the option of having something like this while also giving those in the horse-and-buggy era the option not to have it.

cloudness

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
WebKit r30109 has also passed 78/100 of the new Acid3 test. That is 20 more since just 10 days ago when the test became available. Quite impressive!

And WebKit r30119 (built tonight) scores 80/100 on Acid3. That's a steady 2 points a day! In less than 2 weeks they managed to get way ahead of both FF3 and Opera9.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Anyone know when Safari on Windows is going public? It's been in beta since forever.

TruthSerum44

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Um...because the Google toolbar is actually useful? It works? It's quicker than using the lame, generic search that's in Safari? I honestly don't see how you can live without it.

Or are you guys old fashioned and just type in "www.google.com" and use their web-page to go and search? Do you also type out "http://" also while you're at it? Might as well as antiquated as you two seem to be.

Maybe you should go back to the original Netscape, you may be more at home there.

At least give those of us that are in the 21st century the option of having something like this while also giving those in the horse-and-buggy era the option not to have it.

Toolbars ARE horrific...they look awful and are unnecessary. All of the features available in Google Toolbar could be put in without the use of a space taking, eye-sore of a toolbar. In case you didn't know, Macs are supposed to be good with simplicity and aesthetics, two things toolbars know nothing about.

I agree that Safari could use a TON of the features that Firefox has, either built in or through the use of extensions, but a toolbar is not the best method of implementation. Oh, and it probably takes 1 second longer to type something into the google search bar and then click the images tab on the google page...so let's not tell people to go back to Netscape or call them antiquated for putting priority in a decent and usable interface over features galore and a cluttered browsing experience. It seems like you're a good candidate for the bloatware that's called Firefox..."you may be more at home there...I honestly don't know how you can live without." :p (sorry, but I had to post something like this with the tone of your post, haha)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
nothing is wrong. but you can't blame people for wanting it to be easier. and I think one click is easier than two different mice button clicks with moving between them.

But the more buttons you put on screen, the more difficult the entire program becomes. I think Apple rightly reasoned that anyone sophisticated enough to work with tabs is sophisticated enough that they'd never want to click an on-screen button to get a new tab instead of just hitting a key command.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
And WebKit r30119 (built tonight) scores 80/100 on Acid3. That's a steady 2 points a day! In less than 2 weeks they managed to get way ahead of both FF3 and Opera9.

I was just about to post that. It's quite impressive, especially since FF won't even be Acid2 compliant until version 3.

I'm a big fan of what tends to come out of open source projects. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of it, but the effort seems to always be misdirected and unorganized. I can't say that for WebKit. These people are going to be Acid3 compliant in 10 days if they keep going at there current rate.

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
try holding command while clicking search in Google. unless its opening in a new tab for me as i have "Always open browser window in tab" selected in Saft.

Command doesn't work. Setting the option did work, however - big thanks ;)

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
But the more buttons you put on screen, the more difficult the entire program becomes. I think Apple rightly reasoned that anyone sophisticated enough to work with tabs is sophisticated enough that they'd never want to click an on-screen button to get a new tab instead of just hitting a key command.

Which is why Safari should just copy Firefox in this regard - double click the tab bar to create a new tab.

mysticalos

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/browser/tags

In other words, Safari 3.1 Leopard build =Safari 3.1 (5525.7)
Safari-5525.7=r29911

As for those that ask what webkit is and what is different from safari.

Webkit is only the browser engine, it's a framework that installs in OS X that is used by MANY applications besides safari, believe it or not, mail, ichat, yahoo messenger, adium, etc all use webkit for various rendering functions.

Safari is NOT webkit, Safari is only a UI shell basically. It is merely the app itself that gives webkit shape into an actual web browser under mac os x. Two different things that just come together into one great package.

Webkit nightlies

Webkit nightlies function by shipping a basic launcher with an updated webkit framework inside of it. However this launcher is NOT an updated safari application. all it does is opens your existing safari version off hard drive with a custom specified path to the updated webkit framework inside the webkit launcher. In other words, you use a webkit nightly, you are still using safari 3.0.4 application with an updated version of webkit framework. so you will have all the fixes and improvements to webkit framework and rendering and speed done, but may still lack some of the UI or application based improvements made by 3.1 beta. In other words, downloading webkit nightly does not equal running safari 3.1. It equals running 3.0.4 with faster engine ;)...3.1 has it's own improvements in itself when it ships you'll see em ;). Also, installing webkit nightlies has no effect on other applications such as mail or ichat as they will still use the old webkit framework installed in system/library/frameworks/webkit. The webkit.app launcher ONLY tells safari.app to use the nightly webkit framework.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I don't think its a forum issue, I just tried msnbc.com, go there, click any link to read an article, then click backward button, safari/webkit is still reading something and takes 1~2 sec to display the page, while firefox/opera display the page INSTANTLY.

Well it seems it is on some sites, that I why I specficaly gave an example rather than saying all sites. The sites I uses regularly it is all from cache and very fast, perhaps it has to do with page content and specific types cause it to reload the page from the web rather than from the cache. For example bbc sports page is instant.

In regards to the whole button thing about new tabs. There should be a button, just because you might use cmd+t or you might solely use File - New Tab, or you use cmd+clicking links, or cmd+shift+f and cmd+enter to create new tabs, doesn't mean that everyone should be happy using them. Also what people are forgetting the button are removable.

See my button bar below

Picture 1.png

I got ride of add to bookmarks because I use cmd+d.I got ride of Open in Dashboard because I have used that a grand total of 3 times and can access it via ctrl+click when I need to. How often do I create new tabs perhaps 100 times a day so what is more worthy of button.

Icewind

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Scotland
I can't see any difference whatsoever!

Omniweb is still blistering fast by comparison. Add to that 'per-site preferences' and the result is Omniweb is a much nicer browsing experience all in.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

thats not a valid argument regarding this problem, this has nothing to do with saving space. there are anther ~7 buttons you can drag to toolbar, if space is a problem, why give users that options at all?

Not to mention that I just don't believe anybody can use "report a bug" button more frequently than "new tab" button.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
thats not a valid argument regarding this problem, this has nothing to do with saving space. there are anther ~7 buttons you can drag to toolbar, if space is a problem, why give users that options at all?

Because too many options are bad too as they are confusing. They don't have a "New Window" button either.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Because too many options are bad too as they are confusing. They don't have a "New Window" button either.

new windows button is not as important an issue, because safari, by default, is a multi-window browser.

Again, whats confusing about a new tab button? replace that report a bug button with new tab button, nobody said it has to be shown by default. where is the problem with that arrangement?

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Oh, and it probably takes 1 second longer to type something into the google search bar and then click the images tab on the google page

Cool...then tell me how to quickly search a site via google then. For instance the toolbar would let me search all of MacRumors forums for "goofball" with just a quick mouseclick. How do I quickly do that in Safari other than typing out "www.google.com/search?q=site:forums.macrumors.com+goofball"? As we all know, this software for the forums can be limited in it's search function. But let's say the search functions are robust here at MacRumors...it may not be at other sites and it's very quick to search a site via Google and it's toolbar.

And again, just give us a fricken option. If YOU don't want it, then don't enable it...plain and simple. But it always seems to be "I don't need it and it looks ugly, so therefore no one should be able to use it".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.