Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I've held off on updating to Safari 4.x due to the comments about tabs
on the bottom and other things. And then I see the note about "new"
color schemes today.

So I went ahead today and installed 4.0 and then the 0.1 and 0.2 updates -
and I have none of these reported "problems" - ?? I still have tabs on top,
and the color hasn't changed - ?? Is this unique to me? Are the tabs on
the bottom some sort of leftover from the 4.0 beta version (which I never
installed)?

Very strange . . .

You don't have tabs on top. Tabs on top were where the tabs were in the titlebar (Safari 4 Beta). There are no new color schemes as some have stated. No idea what they are talking about, maybe weird display issues.

Lounge Deluxe

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Amsterdam
I have to say that I'm still on Safari 3.2.3 with Webkit nightly builds and I don't think I'm missing out on any new feature that Safari 4 brings.

I'm enjoying the very same (or probably better since I use Webkit nightly builds) speed enhancements of Safari 4 but with the website compatibility of Safari 3. To me web browsing is all about the websites and a feature like Top Sites is playful but useless.

Keep it simple and make it faster and safer rather than flashier, would be my request to Apple. Oh well different strokes.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I don't think its already been mentioned, but 4.0.2 fixes the problems with Safari 4 on the clamshell iBook. Before, the low screen resolution was not taken into consideration, and web pages would be off centered and there was no way to scroll and see everything.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Justify it however you want, but to me it is not intuitive at all. The blue progress bar was one of the main features that set Safari apart from all other browsers. Would you approve of a "Loading..." style progress for downloads too? I didn't think so. Essentially it's the same type of situation.

You know you could always go and enable the status bar if you want more information about page loading.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I did have 4.0.2 go nuts and use up all remaining CPU cycles (was using about 78% CPU)... couldn't figure out why my CPU was running so hot and the fans were going up, until I saw it was pegged thanks to Safari. Had like 2 sites open and neither page seemed to have anything at all to cause that.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
tabs and status bar

I didn't like the Tabs on top of the status bar. I keep looking for them to be on the bottom like they have always been (and now too).

As for the status bar going across in stead of it just saying 'loading'. I want the status bar back. It was easy to tell if a web page stalled then it is now. Now I have to look at the bottom to see if it's doing any thing. :(

What's with this purple theme! Is it a joke or what? If not, then I want a screen shot!!!! :D

Hugh

usingpond

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Have they fixed Safari's issues with Gifs?

YES!! Came here to post this. This is a monumental moment! Safari no longer has a heart attack with animated GIFs. This was especially infuriating; having a unibody MacBook Pro grind to a halt because of a 49kb file really sucks.

pondosinatra

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Calgary, Canada
no. but it would appear as though there are some people that think they should be able to swap out spark plugs while the car is still running.

I remember playing with Red Hat Linux and being absolutely blown away when I was able to do a KERNAL UPDATE without having to reboot! Fanboyz on here are the first to laugh at Windows users having to always restart for updates yet perversely are able to justify it when OS X forces them to. Sad really. :rolleyes:

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
YES!! Came here to post this. This is a monumental moment! Safari no longer has a heart attack with animated GIFs. This was especially infuriating; having a unibody MacBook Pro grind to a halt because of a 49kb file really sucks.

NO, it's NOT fixed!

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
I remember playing with Red Hat Linux and being absolutely blown away when I was able to do a KERNAL UPDATE without having to reboot! Fanboyz on here are the first to laugh at Windows users having to always restart for updates yet perversely are able to justify it when OS X forces them to. Sad really. :rolleyes:
Well, an actual kernel change still requires a reboot, even on Linux. The updater doesn't make you do it immediately, but the new kernel won't be used until after you restart.

I have, however, been able to update other low-level components (like SCSI device drivers for non-boot devices, video drivers, the shared C library, etc.) without rebooting, or even logging off (although sometimes, I need to restart X11.)

And I agree with you that this is one area where all modern UNIX systems have a clear advantage over the rest of the world, including Mac OS and Windows.

On the other hand, doing things in the Linux way does require some discipline on the part of the operator. For instance, if a low-level shared library is replaced, it won't affect running applications - any app that is running at the time of the upgrade will have to be restarted in order to start using the new library. For a mainstream OS, you really can't trust customers to do this wherever necessary - forcing them to reboot avoids the problem.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Well, an actual kernel change still requires a reboot, even on Linux. The updater doesn't make you do it immediately, but the new kernel won't be used until after you restart.

I have, however, been able to update other low-level components (like SCSI device drivers for non-boot devices, video drivers, the shared C library, etc.) without rebooting, or even logging off (although sometimes, I need to restart X11.)

And I agree with you that this is one area where all modern UNIX systems have a clear advantage over the rest of the world, including Mac OS and Windows.

On the other hand, doing things in the Linux way does require some discipline on the part of the operator. For instance, if a low-level shared library is replaced, it won't affect running applications - any app that is running at the time of the upgrade will have to be restarted in order to start using the new library. For a mainstream OS, you really can't trust customers to do this wherever necessary - forcing them to reboot avoids the problem.

Agreed. OS vendors need to be a bit conservative when doing OS upgrade. How often do we receive OS updates? Not much.

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
I have, but I don't think the posts here about such color "changes" were meant as jokes. :confused:
Trust me: IT'S A JOKE!

rdowns started with the "color thing/changes" in post 6 (most likely) as a response to the previous posts about a "visual change"… there's really no such thing! It's a joke! … But by all means, feel free to insist that there is… although it can't be that hard for you to examine & discover the truth about this yourself… ;)

Installed and all is good in the world. Not quite sure how I feel about the new purple theme.

… I still say it's peach though! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.