Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Eh? Command-tab switches between apps. Control-tab switches tabs.

(I'm still a command-shift-[ and ] fan)

Ah... yes. Sorry about the typo! Control + Tab works for scrolling between safari tabs.

From my reading on the net it seemed to indicate that scrolling between safari tabs was a new feature in Yosemite.... however it works on my Snow Leopard Safari too!

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
Ah... yes. Sorry about the typo! Control + Tab works for scrolling between safari tabs.

From my reading on the net it seemed to indicate that scrolling between safari tabs was a new feature in Yosemite.... however it works on my Snow Leopard Safari too!

That's just switching tab with a keyboard shortcut. The Yosemite tab scrolling is when you have so many tabs open that you no longer can see then all, then you can put the cursor on the tab bar and slide tabs left/right with two fingers on the touchpad.

----------

Thanks that is very helpful.

It would have been easier if apple made it Control + Tab + (Arrow Keys)

You can change it to what ever you want in System Prefs / Keyboard / Shortcuts / Application Shortcuts / Safari. I have cmd + alt + left/right arrow.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
That's just switching tab with a keyboard shortcut. The Yosemite tab scrolling is when you have so many tabs open that you no longer can see then all, then you can put the cursor on the tab bar and slide tabs left/right with two fingers on the touchpad.

Thanks. I will give that a try when I next boot up Yosemite.

You can change it to what ever you want in System Prefs / Keyboard / Shortcuts / Application Shortcuts / Safari. I have cmd + alt + left/right arrow.

Thanks, that is very helpful.

mosher

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Germany/Ukraine
hi,

my OS just told me that my System Memory is full, i checked system monitor and Safari + Mail used 6 out of 8 Gb memory. Popped up message that asked to force quit both apps.

So i don't know for who Safari is better now!

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Anyone else missing the thing when you open Safari and immediately start typing it types on the search bar ?

Now I have to click on the search bar before typing... :( Or am I missing something ?

This has been around for a while now. I've complained about it quite a bit on these forums but others don't seem to mind it at all. For me, it bugs!

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
I'm sure many are not "minding it" because they aren't experiencing the issue.

When I installed DP1,2,3,4 over 10.9.4, I had severe Yosemite problems in general, including No focus in the bar for a new Safari Window/Tab. It was maddening to the point it was unusable and I chalked it up to being a DP preview.

So I erased, clean installed 10.9.4 back on, then restored from TM.

PB1 came out the next day, so I installed that and haven't had any issues so far.

For me, Safari in PB1 and DP5 behaved as in Mavericks: a new Tab/Window has the focus in the bar, ready to type. I'm not sure what settings may have been involved, but it was a bug that got fixed somewhere in that process.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
I don't like having to click the + for TAB viewing wish I could go back to regular TABs.
How did you do it before?

What is a regular TAB for you?

31IFDaCSFGL.jpg
;)
I apologize. When I see MAC in all caps, I think "ethernet ID", even in the context of discussing Macs.
Similarly, when I see TAB, I think soda.

Confusius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
New York
You can use command left and right arrow to navigate back and forward in a particular webpage..

Oddly enough, Safari no longer recognises the command key under Yosemite - it's the only application to do that. I'm on a 2013 MBA. Any ideas? Thanks.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I agree that Safari is much improved, and the syncing with iOS makes it very attractive. The whole experience is quite slick. So much so that I considered ditching Firefox as my primary browser. But the lack of real RSS support (and not the awful Shared Links feature that dumps all stories into a side panel) sadly keeps me from switching.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Oddly enough, Safari no longer recognises the command key under Yosemite - it's the only application to do that. I'm on a 2013 MBA. Any ideas? Thanks.

Odd. The command arrow keys work fine in Safari for me...

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Safari used to be absolutely miserable for browsing and opening a page with a lot of pictures/videos. It would load slow and just not let you scroll for a while and when you could the page splits and is choppy. Just really, really awful on Mavericks. Slow in general.

Using the Safari on Yosemite it is night and day how much faster it is. I could see myself using Safari as the daily option instead of Opera.

Very impressed. I'm not sure why it's so much faster now but I am happy about it.

One could even say.....snappier.

:cool:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Sessions – a tabs-friendly extension for Safari

… They finally made a useful "tab view," though I still don't think I'll use it. …

I'm liking everything else about Yosemite but the new tab row in Safari. I want the old drop down back for when you have more tabs than can fit on the screen. This having to scroll or click multiple times to get trough them is annoying. It's slower than the old way.

Try Sessions by David Yoo. Here's a screenshot of its popover, with Mavericks:

attachment.php

There's a title-oriented search feature.

Attachments

• Sessions with Safari 7 in Mavericks.png
    Sessions with Safari 7 in Mavericks.png
    722 KB · Views: 534

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For me, it's totally the other way around. I only used Safari in Mavericks, it worked fine. However, after upgrade to Yosemite, Safari is so buggy (e.g. system freeze) that makes it totally unusable for me now. :mad:

It seems this affect all Mac Pro with the HD7950, hopefully Apple can fix it ASAP. I really prefer to use Safari more than anything else.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
For my part I'm utterly exasperated with safari. Constant issues with stuff not loading. But hop over to Chrome or Firefox and they load immediately.

I don't think I'm a particular demanding user, and I don't have extensions or anything that might be causing conflicts. Quitting and restarting Safari doesn't help. Rebooting sometimes does. And sometimes I have to completely reset safari and lose all my history and sign-ins.

I want to like safari. I like the integration with the iPhone and iCloud keychain. But it's driving me nuts the frequency that it fails at basic functionality that doesn't seem to be an issue for any other browser. :(

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I'm actually starting to like safari. I really dislike the huge tabs, but I have fixed that. I am seeing if I can ween myself off chrome and stay on safari if I make myself use it and work out the dislikes. It's getting there. The extension list is dismal, but I pretty much have what I need. I have not seen any bugs.

Damn, really bad predictive typing messing me up as I type this, gotta find out how to turn it off.

Found it, much better.:)

Last edited:

Cancelled
Feb 27, 2014
Swipe Back and Back Button Reloads Page

Safari regardless of the version is just OK. It's biggest problem is that pages reload whenever i swipe back or use the back button. When I want to go to a previous page I want to go back to the previous page where I was at. I do not want to sit around waiting for the page to re-load and then be back at the top of page. Never had these issues with Chrome, FireFox, Internet Explorer. Heck, name your browser, none of them do this except for Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.