Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Ha. Funny. You seem confused.

It's an iPad Pro. Therefore, it has the same form factor as an iPad. It also runs the same OS as an iPad. If it has OS X support it wouldn't be an iPad. You don't have to buy the pencil and you don't have to buy a keyboard.

What you want is a MacBook Pro.

Waiting for you to tell me what PRO is for..

Reactions: SirCheese

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The weight per se isn't the issue, it is whether it will be awkward to use for games, browsing, etc

I don't have to necessarily hold it for reading and browsing or watching video on it but for games I would expect I would. I have very limited experience with a tablet this size, only the Samsung Pro in Best Buy fooling with it and certainly it raised a flag.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
iPad pro.. No 3D Touch. Over priced $100 stylus overpriced keyboard. No Mac OS support, still only iOS. What the hell does the "PRO" stand for? Does it mean intentionally half baked for PROfit?

The pricing for those accessories certainly raises at least a flag in purchasing those. But some would say if you aren't going to buy those then you may as well not buy the Pro.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Ok. So for the Us - Uk exchange rate. that makes it £787.

If you go by Apples other products at the same pricing:

IPad Pro starts from $799
The base model Mac Mini with 16GB Apple ram is also $799
In the UK the Mac Mini with 16GB Apple ram is £639

The iPad Pro 128GB WiFi is $949
The iPhone 6S Plus 128GB is also $949
In the UK the iPhone 6S Plus 128GB is £789

The top range WiFi and cellular 128GB iPad Pro is $1079
The top of the range Mac Mini with the Magic Mouse 2 is $1078
In the UK the same top end Mac Mini and Magic Mouse 2 is £864

That should give you a rough idea I guess? I won't be surprised if you can add on an extra £30 to the top two iPad Pro prices I've put here.

itbeme

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
Pro ?

Doctors, Lawyers, Architects, Artists, Graphic Designers, Musiciens, Photographers, Writers, Teachers, Salespeople.....the larger screen, the pencil. That's the "pro" part.

It's a tablet. It's not a PC, with a PC operating system, with apps written for PC's with a mouse, trackpad etc. That's the iPad.

iPad Pro

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
You haven't really explained why in your opinion it is not "pro", so why is the "burden of proof" on others? The only thing you mentioned that might justify your "half-baked" comment is that it runs iOS, not OS X. And that is not something that I consider as a valid argument against professional usage. Sure, a software developer will not work on an iPad Pro, but there are enough other jobs where an iPad Pro can be very useful.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Man, the spacing between those apps in the product picture looks horrendous. What a waste of space. Here's to hoping iOS 10 fixes that.

I hear this a lot, but I'm always kind of curious what else people want on the home screen? The nature of iOS is such that pretty much everything is done in apps which one way or another are going to occupy the entire screen. There is no real "desktop" exposed like in traditional windows based OSs.

I don't even think it looks bad as is. They could allow more icons but that would look worse IMO - like people whose desktops are packed with icons for files and applications they've never bothered to organize.

Widgets and such have always seemed kind of pointless to me because you can just open the relevant app things are so quick on iOS. Only addition I would like to see would be, in the event Apple introduces a file system, that could be another "pane" on the homescreen you could navigate. I would be surprised if Apple actually did it that way though.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Am I seeing it correctly that it's only for the wifi versions? Do we have to go to Apple for the Cellular version? I wouldn't be surprised but I am very surprised that Sam's club will be selling them at launch.
Apple wants to sell as many as possible as soon as possible, you know, it's called profits. Not everyone has an Apple store handy.

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
I hear this a lot, but I'm always kind of curious what else people want on the home screen? The nature of iOS is such that pretty much everything is done in apps which one way or another are going to occupy the entire screen. There is no real "desktop" exposed like in traditional windows based OSs.

I don't even think it looks bad as is. They could allow more icons but that would look worse IMO - like people whose desktops are packed with icons for files and applications they've never bothered to organize.

Widgets and such have always seemed kind of pointless to me because you can just open the relevant app things are so quick on iOS. Only addition I would like to see would be, in the event Apple introduces a file system, that could be another "pane" on the homescreen you could navigate. I would be surprised if Apple actually did it that way though.

You could either do another row of apps, or just increase the size of the icons. You have this massive, beautiful screen, yet the app icons are minuscule. The spacing just seems unnatural.

littelsquidge

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
If you go by Apples other products at the same pricing:

IPad Pro starts from $799
The base model Mac Mini with 16GB Apple ram is also $799
In the UK the Mac Mini with 16GB Apple ram is £639

The iPad Pro 128GB WiFi is $949
The iPhone 6S Plus 128GB is also $949
In the UK the iPhone 6S Plus 128GB is £789

The top range WiFi and cellular 128GB iPad Pro is $1079
The top of the range Mac Mini with the Magic Mouse 2 is $1078
In the UK the same top end Mac Mini and Magic Mouse 2 is £864

That should give you a rough idea I guess? I won't be surprised if you can add on an extra £30 to the top two iPad Pro prices I've put here.

I think you're numbers are pretty much spot-on, although I'm not sure about price comparisons across product categories.

Look at US$ prices within the same product family then use the same percentage jump:

Base-line iPad Air 2 (16gb) is $499
Base-line iPad Pro (32gb) is $799
That's about ~160% jump

So

Base-line iPad Air 2 (16gb) is £399
x ~160%
Gives ~£639 for the Base-line Pro

Double check with existing product lines for comparison:

iPad Mini 4 (16gb) is ~80% price of iPad Air 2 (16gb) in both US$ and £.

Apple TV 4 (32gb) is ~217% of Apple TV 3rd Gen in both currencies.

Use the same formula to get these approx iPad Pro prices:

iPad Pro (32gb) £639
iPad Pro (128gb) £759
iPad Pro (128gb+Cellular) £859

We'll know in a few days hopefully and don't put it past Apple to 'round up' the prices a tad. I'm fully expecting to be wrong.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
iPad pro.. No 3D Touch. Over priced $100 stylus overpriced keyboard. No Mac OS support, still only iOS. What the hell does the "PRO" stand for? Does it mean intentionally half baked for PROfit?

get a macbook
you're trying so hard to make a touchscreen work with OS X, but it just doesn't work.

Reactions: Apple2007

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014

I would get rid of the paging of the home screen and optin for an apple watch home screen. i don't think i've ever swiped 10 pages of apps to get to my app.

APPLfanCA

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
Wondering the same thing. Apple hates having their thunder stolen. You have to think that there are some angry phone calls being made.
I would hope so. This doesn't make sense to me, unless Sams Club just made up their own random date. I've never seen third party retailers release a date before Apple.

byundt

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2015
I pre-ordered a 64 GB iPhone 6s from Sam's Club during the pre-order period, and have yet to receive it. Since I was number 1 on my local store's pre-order list, I don't believe it is a "pre-order" so much as a "dibs" on whatever allocation Apple chooses to ship to Sams Club. Should the iPad Pro be handled the same way, you would be much better off waiting for Apple to announce pre-orders and get it directly from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.