Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hergesheimer

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
The Netherlands
Dear Forum,

I am trying to calibrate my new Samsung monitor. Has one of you already found out the best overall picture settings? Thanks a lot.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Dear Forum,

I am trying to calibrate my new Samsung monitor. Has one of you already found out the best overall picture settings? Thanks a lot.
Going to be subjective. What's the main usage of your monitor (e.g. movies, editing, games, etc)

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Hello, It‘s mainly using the Mac (Internet, photo editing, office) and indeed watching movies through the built in apps. Thanks again.
With mixed use there probably isn’t one setting. Standard is probably your most neutral then Filmmaker/Movie mode is for movies, etc.

If you’re trying to use expert mode you would have to have your own calibration equipment/software as each panel can very. To be honest almost all of the top tv companies have panels with very good presets out of the box since they calibrate them at the factory.

If you look at top rated TVs and what companies like Rtings suggest as settings it’s almost spot on with the factory.

Hergesheimer

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
The Netherlands
With mixed use there probably isn’t one setting. Standard is probably your most neutral then Filmmaker/Movie mode is for movies, etc.

If you’re trying to use expert mode you would have to have your own calibration equipment/software as each panel can very. To be honest almost all of the top tv companies have panels with very good presets out of the box since they calibrate them at the factory.

If you look at top rated TVs and what companies like Rtings suggest as settings it’s almost spot on with the factory.
Thanks a lot. I used the settings from Rtings and my own eye for now. The product is quite new, I am sure, there will be some youtube videos and reviews out soon. Thanks again.

Hergesheimer

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
The Netherlands
How are you connecting your Mac to the display? I assume usb-c? No HDR via that route though.
Yes usb-c. I didn‘t know that. Thanks. My Apple TV is connected to the HDMI port and the streaming apps having HDR built in. As I have only the Mac connected to the usb port it should be fine I think. Thanks anyway, I have learned something.

Hergesheimer

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
The Netherlands
I like the monitor very much. Have been using it for the last three weeks. The only thing I am missing are the I/O possibilities of the M7. If you ate price driven I would go for the M7 if that is not important for the M8. Nice design and decent monitor.

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
I like the monitor very much. Have been using it for the last three weeks. The only thing I am missing are the I/O possibilities of the M7. If you ate price driven I would go for the M7 if that is not important for the M8. Nice design and decent monitor.
Thanks for the reply — did you notice a considerable different in the text, picture between the M7 and M8? I currently have a M7 but I feel that it is too dark, was hoping it would get brighter

Hergesheimer

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
The Netherlands
The brightness is definitely brighter compared to the M7. You can definitely see the 100 nits plus. It‘s of course no 5K Apple SuperDuper display, but this is playing in another price league.

You get a decent product, which is definitely a step up in quality compared to the previous M7.

Reactions: sigomez

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
My M8 arrived a few days ago.

I’m trying to decide on what resolution to use, 2304 × 1296 seems like the sweet spot for me, it terms of UI readability and screen real-estate. I needed to hold the option key and click on scaled to get this as an option in a drop down menu, as it’s not included in the standard ‘looks like’ icons.

Any thoughts on using this ‘hidden’ resolution?

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016

I’m trying to decide on what resolution to use, 2304 × 1296 seems like the sweet spot for me, it terms of UI readability and screen real-estate. I needed to hold the option key and click on scaled to get this as an option in a drop down menu, as it’s not included in the standard ‘looks like’ icons.

Go for it, for me the UI readability is paramount.

midinotes

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2022
Cardiff, UK
I've recently purchased the Samsung M8 smart monitor, I'm using it via USB-C with the new M1 iMac 24 inch.
I spent quite some time calibrating my Samsung monitor to get it as close to my iMac screen as possible.
These settings are by no means perfect, and of course they may give different results on your screen. Anyway hope they prove helpful.

Picture mode: Graphic. (16:9 standard size)
Eye Care : all settings off*
Expert settings:
Brightness: 25
Contrast: 38
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 32
Tint (G/R): R3
Apply picture settings (not available)
Picture Clarity settings (not available)
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Colour tone: Standard

White balance: 2 point
R-gain: -6
G-gain: 0
B-gain: 0
R-offset: 0
G-offset: 0
B-offset: 0

Gamma: 2.2
Shadow detail: 5
Colour space settings: Auto
Dynamic brightness: enabled

General and privacy settings (main menu)
Intelligent mode settings: On
Power and energy saving: Brightness optimisation on
Minimum brightness: 10
Brightness reduction: off
Motion lighting: off
Screen saver: on
Auto power off: 8 hrs

* I haven't yet figured out how to have the screen brightness adjust automatically based on external light conditions without it enabling the 'warm' feature. Since I use the warm night feature natively with the Mac, I don't need it also on the monitor. If anyone knows how to do this let me know.

In terms of scaling alongside the iMac 24, my iMac screen is set to the default setting for display, the Samsung is set to scaled and the 4th setting (i.e. between middle scaled and more space). I'm using the SAMSUNG colour profile on the Mac. This setting gives me the same size fonts on both displays without it being too small on the eyes.

Hope this helps. I have attached a couple of photos to show you how it appears alongside the iMac.

Simon

Attachments

• IMG_9811.JPG
    IMG_9811.JPG
    479.9 KB · Views: 1,546
  • IMG_9812.JPG
    IMG_9812.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 1,633

midinotes

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2022
Cardiff, UK

You really don't want to be using a 4K monitor at anything but it's native resolution (3840 x 2160 pixel), else things will get fuzzy and blurred. If things are too small, change the scaling settings on the mac or on a pc change the text zoom. I think on a pc I set Windows 10 scaling to 120% but still set the resolution to 4K. I agree on a mac there isn't quite as much flexibility though.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
You really don't want to be using a 4K monitor at anything but it's native resolution (3840 x 2160 pixel), else things will get fuzzy and blurred. If things are too small, change the scaling settings on the mac or on a pc change the text zoom. I think on a pc I set Windows 10 scaling to 120% but still set the resolution to 4K. I agree on a mac there isn't quite as much flexibility though.
I’m using a MacBook Pro 16” M1 Max. I sit about 70cm back from the monitor. I tried pretty much all the resolutions available. 2160p made the UI too small (some apps could compensate somewhat, but not enough). 1080p, i.e. pixel doubled, made UI too big (I tried to make it work but I couldn’t create the window arrangement I wanted). 1440p was also too small (eyes strained just a bit too much). 1296p was spot on for UI and also allowed me to create the workspace I wanted (with the dock set to hide). Sitting at 70cm I don’t notice blurred fuzzy everything, to be honest, everything looks sharp enough to me (even if I lean in). I even took a few close up photos in different resolutions, and blurring just doesn’t seem like a meaningful issue to me. See attached image - from top to bottom it goes 1080p, 1296p, 2160p (Word UI close up and text at 500x zoom). Basically the more pixels, the sharper the image, and I don’t see any obvious deformity on the middle (not integer scaled) resolution. Happy to do more tests and take some more photos.

Attachments

• 9EC210E0-26F5-41B4-A2B5-5C3983FF61C8.jpeg
    9EC210E0-26F5-41B4-A2B5-5C3983FF61C8.jpeg
    857.9 KB · Views: 650
Reactions: midinotes

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
I've recently purchased the Samsung M8 smart monitor, I'm using it via USB-C with the new M1 iMac 24 inch.
I spent quite some time calibrating my Samsung monitor to get it as close to my iMac screen as possible.
These settings are by no means perfect, and of course they may give different results on your screen. Anyway hope they prove helpful.

Expert settings:

* I haven't yet figured out how to have the screen brightness adjust automatically based on external light conditions without it enabling the 'warm' feature. Since I use the warm night feature natively with the Mac, I don't need it also on the monitor. If anyone knows how to do this let me know.

In terms of scaling alongside the iMac 24, my iMac screen is set to the default setting for display, the Samsung is set to scaled and the 4th setting (i.e. between middle scaled and more space). I'm using the SAMSUNG colour profile on the Mac. This setting gives me the same size fonts on both displays without it being too small on the eyes.

Hope this helps. I have attached a couple of photos to show you how it appears alongside the iMac.

Simon
That looks awesome! Thanks for the settings - I don’t really know how to go about calibrating a monitor, so this gives me a starting point. Did you use a mechanical tool, app, system tool, or just eyeball it? I’m a bit reluctant to start messing with the settings, as I’m pretty happy with the colour out of the box (compared to my MacBook Pro M1 Max). Do you think it’s worth the effort (like, does it feel better to use subsequently)? How are you finding the M8 in general (it looks well swell beside the iMac)?
I think intelligent mode (which you have on) can adjust the brightness. It certainly does if you swamp input from PC to the Smart TV (I have all the eye care turned off too - too red, so I assume it’s intelligent mode doing it). I have my brightness at 16/50, when I swapped to tv earlier it auto increased to 50/50, then went down again when I swapped back to PC. I’m coming from a 21” dim external (or the laptop screen), so the size (especially when bright) took my eyes by surprise. I might increase the brightness (I thought 25/50 looked good) once my eyes get used to the extra light all at once.

Attachments

• 45E5D8F6-A0A4-439F-B306-C31165926D7C.jpeg
    45E5D8F6-A0A4-439F-B306-C31165926D7C.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 552

midinotes

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2022
Cardiff, UK
Thanks someirishguy. I don't have any tools, just did it with the iMac 24 M1 (which I believe is a LG screen and seems pretty much bang on if you use some of the online testcards and line patterns to check). I have the Samsung next to the iMac so I regularly glance across and keep checking, then take a rest and come back to it. It's worth playing with the settings, you can always put them back to default with a reset if you like. The key thing I found when initially comparing the two screens was that the Samsung whites were either a bit too greeen or pink, and the colours didn't quite pop as much. Granted the iMac has a glossy screen which gives it more pop, but after I increased the colour saturation and contrast a bit on the Samsung it was much closer. That in turn though give me shifts in the whites compared to the iMac, so I twiddled with the R/G balance until it looked about the same. I also adjusted the sharpness until it was just on the point of making the edges of text begin to look ghosted and backed it off to get the best crispness.
Overall I am extremely happy with the Samsung. I was initially looking for a 4K 24 inch monitor, but I wanted something with a light coloured case to match the iMac. There's very little to choose from, and then I realised 4K on a 24 inch screen is probably a bit too small for my ageing eyesight! I did consider the Eizo 27 inch 4K monitor in white, but at over £1200 that was quickly dismissed. Whilst the new Apple 27 inch studio monitor has a stunning display, it was actually the lack of any connectivity other than USB-C that dismissed it - since I need to connect my works laptop (a PC running Win 10) as well to the monitor.
Overall the Samsung has ticked all the boxes. The price was reasonable for what you get, the image quality to be honest is very close now to the Apple iMac 24 M1, except maybe the lack of glossy screen and slight changes in contrast if you look at the Samsung display from a side angle. However I love the adjustable stand on the Samsung which gives me perfect viewing angle, and it actually looks OK alongside the 24 inch iMac despite the screen size difference.
As far as the Samsung goes, I love the amount of configurability you get. Almost everything can be adjusted, for example disabling the auto input switching (which initially gave me a few problems as I don't turn the iMac off when using a PC). So far I've had it about a month. I ended up disabling the auto power off, as it seemed to want to turn off the screen after using a PC on it for a few hours. Also once I had the picture 'lock up', I could hear the menu sounds when changing things but the screen went blank or I just had a dim red only picture. I pulled the power cable and restarted the monitor and it's been fine. The remote is brilliant, so much easier than fiddling with menu buttons on the monitor. I don't use the built-in speakers, but they are pretty adequate and loud for just watching a bit of smart TV - I've adjusted the EQ settings on the Samsung to improve the lower end slightly.
Initially I thought the lack of inputs would be a pain, but was so pleased that Samsung provide you with all I needed! The USB-C cable works perfectly with my iMac for one input, and the HDMI cable gives me 4K from the HDMI output of my work Dell i7 laptop on Windows. Great having so much screen estate to work with!
Overall I am extremely pleased with the monitor. For me it was the styling that made me choose it, but it's backed up with a great picture, flexible and easy to use user interface and the smart features are a real bonus. I've even found you can control the TV from an app on your phone, you can airplay to it from an Apple device or even mirror my Onyx Boox e-paper tablet to it! Love it!

Hope that helps
Simon

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
So, I sat down to have a go at calibration, following your information. First I downloaded the testcard. However, the testcards were so similar between monitors, I think I’ll just leave it as is.

In the attached image - I’ve copied the colour bars from the MacBook Screen and pasted it above the M8 monitor (to make comparison easier). Other than the greys being a bit darker, it’s about spot on.

Were your monitors this similar before you calibrated, or did I just get lucky (with factory calibration), or am I missing something?

Attachments

• 96F2A16A-64FB-45E9-B74D-B673A5A77FA8.jpeg
    96F2A16A-64FB-45E9-B74D-B673A5A77FA8.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 439

midinotes

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2022
Cardiff, UK
Hi Someirishguy (can I call you by anything else?),
That looks pretty close! Before calibration, my Samsung's whites were quite pink I recall and the reds were not very saturated. Also the contrast/brightness wasn't ideal, a bit washed out, but then I came from a Dell monitor on which I would always turn down the brightness and contrast.
I would say you got very lucky! The testcard I used by the way was those on this site -> https://panoramashots.co.uk/technical-notes/test-cards/

Initially the shadow and highlight test was way out for me, but the biggest improvement I think was tweaking the Red/Green tint balance and colour intensity. I don't do professional photo editing so for me it was more having the Samsung looking similar alongside my M1 iMac 24.

From what I can see in your photo, you've got your Samsung pretty bang on with the Mac!

Simon

E-MO-TION

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2021
Wish there were presets because the monitor doesn't adjust to ambient lighting well.

Last edited:

midinotes

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2022
Cardiff, UK
Wish there were presets because the monitor doesn't adjust to ambient lighting well.
Agree it doesn't but there again very few monitors do at this price point. I've just set mine to a comfortable brightness, disabled the auto night mode (warm colour) as the mac does that for me. It's been great, the only annoyance I find is the very sluggish OS - especially when starting up and having to wait to get the home screen so I can change the inputs! Bring back good old input switches. Otherwise very pleased with it on my iMac 24.

brudiaz

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2023

Expert settings:

Simon

I own a samsung 32" 4K display and it's amazing. It's got lots of real estate which makes it perfect for coding. In the distance I'm sitting I can't tell the difference between a real retina display. It's got the same real estate as the 6K apple display only with less pixels. And I only bought it for 400€ !!!

View attachment 1994672
Hi! How did you made the connection? I have a Macbook air M1 and the Samsung M8 is arriving tomorrow. I need it for zoom meetings so i dont know if HDMI would work. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Use the included USB-C cable, which also charges the MacBook. Don’t use the HDMI cable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.