Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midinotes

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2022
Cardiff, UK
The Samsung has both HDMI and USB-C inputs. I have the USB-C connected to my Mac using the cable provided by Samsung and my Work PC laptop connected to the HDMI input.

vagos

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Hi! How did you made the connection? I have a Macbook air M1 and the Samsung M8 is arriving tomorrow. I need it for zoom meetings so i dont know if HDMI would work. Thanks
Yes I did the connection with HDMI. However I got M7, not M8. So I got no webcam.

TommesPommes

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi,
i like the monitor, but
is anybody able to use MonitorControl on mac? https://github.com/MonitorControl/MonitorControl
It uses DDC, which Samsung has, but i think because of all the smart features it supresses it, what a pitty!!!
Would be so great if one could just change volume and brightness with the mac keyboard like on Imac or apple display.
Also i tried some Amazon Prime Video, and it looks very video like, like motion plus is activated with 60hz instead of 24 and cant be deactivated.

Last edited:

djsmith83

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Hi guys,

So I had the M8 arrive today - interestingly the model I got on Amazon UK has x2 USB A ports and is model number LS32CM801UUXXU, others I’ve seem are BM80, not sure on the exact issue.

Couple of issues for me with the display - connected via USBC to M2 MacBook Pro, running macOS 14 and im not sure if its the VA panel, but when sitting any my desk about 50cm away from screen, the dock and bottom section of the display look washed out and much lighter/off contrast than the middle to top of the screen.

I’ve tweaked settings and changed the colour profile under macOS display settings from the M8 profile to an RGB or similar (can’t remember exact name) and it isn’t as washed out, but is still there. One of the colour profiles does solve the washed out dock/bottom section of display, colours seem more accurate, but then contrast seems too dark towards the middle to top of display on that profile.

I’m hoping it’s not a faulty display and just a result of being a VA panel? Reviews do mention of angle wash out.

Anyone else seen this? Pretty frustrating as love the rest of the display!

I haven’t yet for the webcam working though, nothing showing under connected devices. Set the input source to USBC under settings also and still no webcam?

Thanks

TommesPommes

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi,
I have the same version of the display, with the USB A ports, it is the newer version. The display looks quite different to an apple display. I tweaked a lot with the settings, I just increased a lot of color, and it looks ok now . I get the washed out colors when I enable HDR, so I disabled it. The camera worked right out of the box for me. Of course you have to connect your Mac with USB-C, not with HDMI to use the camera. I use Mac studio, though.
For me, the two biggest issues with this displace are:
1. No chance to dim the display on a hardware level , only on software level with apps like Monitorcontrol
2. When watching Amazon or Netflix, it all looks like a Telenovella iPhone video, because it automatically uses this Samsung Auto motion plus or whatever:-( definitely not usable to watch movies. at least for me not.

djsmith83

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Thanks for the reply!

HDR is enabled in macOS display settings and not on the Samsung display settings right? I’ve definitely got it disabled under macOS settings.

I’ve got a MacBook Pro, using USBC connection and even closed lid and still no camera! I’ve checked and it’s clicked into place. Very strange. Maybe not pulling enough power over USBc to power the camera?

TommesPommes

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015
I have HDR disabled in OS, so it is greyed out on Samsung.
Did you change the usb c cable and port to see if that helps ?

djsmith83

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Using the USBC cable supplied with the display. Still no joy in getting it to work.

What picture settings are you using?

giheg14

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
Hello everyone!

Just two weeks ago, I became the happy owner of a MacBook Pro M3 Max 16' - this is my first Mac, before this I used Windows.

Along with the MacBook, I purchased a Samsung M8 monitor specifically to use them together, and here are my questions:

1. What resolution should I use? I am currently using 2560x1440 because if I turn on the maximum (3840x2160) - the entire interface becomes monstrously small, and fonts blurry.

However, at a resolution of 2560x1440, I am not sure that it's 4K quality.

2. I tried to calibrate the monitor according to the settings from a message in this thread, but it did not bring the colors of my monitor closer to the MacBook's. Does anyone have any ready-made color profiles?

The colors differ too much, I do not deal with photos, design or something similar, however, I can't imagine how a person will be able to edit video or process photos with this picture quality: everything is too white, and in the most unnatural way.

Can anyone tell me, is it normal that the difference between the M8 and the MacBook is so monstrous and even visible to me, an ordinary layman? Or did I do something wrong with the settings and calibration?

I connect the monitor via a USB-C cable, which came with the monitor.

Thank you in advance for your time!

giheg14

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
Yes when scrolling it looks kind of weird with ghosting. I didn’t find the best settings yet
I have the same problem and don't know how to solve it. But I have a feeling that this appeared after some manipulations in the settings, or I didn't notice it before.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I am not sure that it's 4K quality.
"4K" is a number, in the case of standard displays it is 2160 lines of pixels.

When you tell you Mac to use "looks like 1440" you are telling macOS to zoom the user interface 150%. So the Samsung is still using 2160 lines of physical pixels, onto which macOS is drawing a scaled user interface.

Much, and I mean very much, text has been hammered out online over macOS and its scaling.

Some people are fine with non-whole integer (e.g. anything other than 2x) scaling. Other people find it blasphemous.

Only you can tell what is acceptable to your eyes on your specific monitor at your specific viewing distance from your monitor.

TommesPommes

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi
I updated os to Sonoma 14.4.
since then not the camera nor the usb ports do work.
Anyone with the same problem?
Thank you

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Hi
I updated os to Sonoma 14.4.
since then not the camera nor the usb ports do work.
Anyone with the same problem?
Thank you
I’m on 14.4 (MacBook Pro M1 Max). I have an Anker hub (USB-A and Ethernet) attached to the M8’s second USB-C port. All is still working, including the camera. So it’s not a universal problem. How odd, what a mess

Reactions: TommesPommes

TommesPommes

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015
I’m on 14.4 (MacBook Pro M1 Max). I have an Anker hub (USB-A and Ethernet) attached to the M8’s second USB-C port. All is still working, including the camera. So it’s not a universal problem. How odd, what a mess
M2max Studio here, let’s see when they will release 14.4.1

Tumelar

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
Lodz, Poland, European Union
I've recently purchased the Samsung M8 smart monitor, I'm using it via USB-C with the new M1 iMac 24 inch.
I spent quite some time calibrating my Samsung monitor to get it as close to my iMac screen as possible.
These settings are by no means perfect, and of course they may give different results on your screen. Anyway hope they prove helpful.

Picture mode: Graphic. (16:9 standard size)
Eye Care : all settings off*
Expert settings:
Brightness: 25
Contrast: 38
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 32
Tint (G/R): R3
Apply picture settings (not available)
Picture Clarity settings (not available)
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Colour tone: Standard

White balance: 2 point
R-gain: -6
G-gain: 0
B-gain: 0
R-offset: 0
G-offset: 0
B-offset: 0

Gamma: 2.2
Shadow detail: 5
Colour space settings: Auto
Dynamic brightness: enabled

General and privacy settings (main menu)
Intelligent mode settings: On
Power and energy saving: Brightness optimisation on
Minimum brightness: 10
Brightness reduction: off
Motion lighting: off
Screen saver: on
Auto power off: 8 hrs

* I haven't yet figured out how to have the screen brightness adjust automatically based on external light conditions without it enabling the 'warm' feature. Since I use the warm night feature natively with the Mac, I don't need it also on the monitor. If anyone knows how to do this let me know.

In terms of scaling alongside the iMac 24, my iMac screen is set to the default setting for display, the Samsung is set to scaled and the 4th setting (i.e. between middle scaled and more space). I'm using the SAMSUNG colour profile on the Mac. This setting gives me the same size fonts on both displays without it being too small on the eyes.

Hope this helps. I have attached a couple of photos to show you how it appears alongside the iMac.

Simon
I'm still unsure about the Red 3 tint and the -6 R-gain. But in general, these settings look quite good on my M8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.