Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Pioneer does not make TVs anymore. Why Pioneer!
Typo, was reminiscing about the old days when I was a wee lad, and we had plasma screens. I meant Panasonic.
[doublepost=1452813846][/doublepost]
I work on software that starts at $25K and goes well into the millions,
:eek:
[doublepost=1452814012][/doublepost]
That is a crazy expensive TV.

As for Samsung that is quite an investment. I guess the iPhones are still selling well after all.
Droid users laugh that Apple are still quibbling over AMOLED screens, whilst we lament that RIM have finally got coloured touch screens.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Funny how business works... you'd think Apple would be working hard to pull away from Samsung for parts... but I can imagine that's a tough deal too... these sort of factories are not born over-night and getting the work force for them isn't over night either.
The Samsung who makes components is different than the Samsung who makes and sells smartphones.

You're right though... it's kinda hard for Apple to completely walk away from Samsung parts at this time.
[doublepost=1452815510][/doublepost]
Now that you bring it up, I am curious how businesses make payments like this. I work on software that starts at $25K and goes well into the millions, and I remember someone from our sales team mentioned that "it's not like they put it on a credit card - those max out at our lowest price."

Obviously you don't pay it in cash... that'd be tens of millions of $100 bills (largest denomination currently printed) to pay $7B. So... do you write a check? Or is there some other way of making payments that is reserved for when you're talking about millions of dollars?

As I recall, when I "bought"* my house, the bank wired the money to the seller... is that what you do with transactions that are so large?
Yeah I would assume it's done via wire transfers.

And it's not just the odd lawsuit payment that is made this way... large corporations make million dollar transactions almost daily.

When Apple places an order for 50 million components... they pay in cash. But it's not actually paper money... it's a wire transfer.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
An i there only over who can't figure out what you're saying.
I hope so.
This makes no sense... At all
Someone care to translate to logical
TVs have BIIIIG screens with BIIIIG pixels.
Phones have tiny screens with tiny pixels.
You can't use OLED TV screens to make phone screens. The highest resolution TV screens have worse resolution than an iPhone 3.

Reactions: journeyy

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Having just finally broken away from my Samsung shackles, I purchased an LG Oled TV- wow, almost as amazing as my new rImac. Wonder if Apple should partner up exclusively with LG, or just buy pioneer maybe.

Pioneer??? They haven't made displays for years. And it would be utterly stupid for Apple to go with one exclusive supplier, that's not very smart as one you can't get a better price as you only have one company to negotiate with who is big enough to demand a higher price, and two if something happens with the supply of panels you're screwed and have no backup, so no devices will be built and no iPhones etc on the shelfs and your stock will take a hit for being so daft.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Typo, was reminiscing about the old days when I was a wee lad, and we had plasma screens. I meant Panasonic.
[doublepost=1452813846][/doublepost] :eek:
[doublepost=1452814012][/doublepost]
Droid users laugh that Apple are still quibbling over AMOLED screens, whilst we lament that RIM have finally got coloured touch screens.

Apple users laugh at people who got tech 7 years (that's when Apple will put it in) before it was as good AND durable reducing the resale value of their phone; hey, we're like that...

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'm looking forward to OLED in iPhones. The more companies like Samsung and LG and others produce OLED screens the sooner the price for other types of displays will drop. I'm holding out on 4K until the price of OLED TV's come down a bit.

Apple watch is already using OLED and you can tell when you look at the black levels. Fantastic compared to my phone which itself is nothing to complain about.

Yeah, I'm holding out on 4K until I can get a good quality 50-55" OLED 4K HDR panel under $700 from LG or Sony (if Sony didn't give up on the TV business which would be a sad day if/when it happened).

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Doubt it. Most people don't use their phones like a store display.

Have you read some of the display imperfection threads here?!?

I'm pretty sure some of the MR posters are so far beyond being retentive - they actually have no sphincter!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.