Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshuaTurner

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
I have actually owned more Nokia and Samsung phones, oh and don't forget Sony Ericsson (if they even still exist lol), separately than I have iPhones.

My first phone was a Nokia [something], then I had both versions of the Nokia N95 (black and white), I have had a Samsung D500 [which I gave to my mum, I know I am nice :)] and lots of other Samsung/Nokia phones.

I can't actually think of anything product area where I would say Samsung was the first company to mind.

When someone says;
  • Computer Manufactures: Dell, even though I have owned many Macs [and still do] Dell is still the first thing that pops into my mind.
  • Mobile Phones: Apple (It's because I use it every day and it's just always with me)
  • External Drives: Western Digital
  • Televisions: LG
  • Kitchen Appliances: Hotpoint

I actually don't think I have a single Samsung [branded] device in my house.

Last edited by a moderator:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Bizarre as it may seem - that's the way the world works. Its what guides consumers to choose products on a daily basis.
It's what consumers recognize - not what they know. A small portion of purchases are not based on consumer recognition. Why do you think brand recognition, placement, alignment, endorsement is a trillion dollar industry?

McDonalds serves the most burgers in this universe. Are they the best? Hardly. Galaxy SIII is the best selling smart phone in the world. Are they the best? Not even close. It's what the masses can afford. Just like a McDonalds burger.

Samsung makes the back plating of their phones out of plastic. Cheap crap is made of plastic.

i wouldnt call the s3 the phone the masses can afford, maybe in countries like us, canada, aus, nz, fra, gb etc. but thats hardly the world

StarTrek

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Dallas, TX
Really? the lines comment? Wow.

Well guess what. My best friend's cousin's brother's nephews great aunt once had pizza with the VP of Samsung marketing and he called the Director of Samsung in London a bit fat liar liar pants on fire.

Again - people need to use less tin foil hats. The truth is scarier to you than this fiction - which is - people can own and enjoy Apple products but also br critical of them. OH NOZ!

So how much do Samsung pay you? :)

JoshuaTurner

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
They are doing just fine. Here is how Samsung and Apple shares behaved in the last three months:

View attachment 377303

Apple probably needs this settlement more than Samsung.

3 months does not provide enough to show the rate of growth [or not]. Long term is the better oversight on what is happening.

Samsung:
1654399573.png

Apple:
419480528.png

You can make what you want from the charts.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
[T]here is not one single product - not one - that Samsung makes that is an industry leader. There is no Samsung product that is the BMW of cars. The Rolex of watches. The iPods of portable music devices. The Titleist of golf clubs. These aren't just expensive items because of name. It's called quality. Quality in their products (not their manufacturing processes) is a foreign concept to Samsung. Yes they have amazing quality in how they manufacturing NAND, DRAM, OLED panels. Yes Samsung makes a lot of things. But none of them are leaders of their respective industry.
Just because you make sell 1,000,000 of something every second doesn't mean what you sell isn't crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

patent troll

An organization that uses its patents to generate revenue without manufacturing the products that the patents pertain to. The patents are usually purchased from a third party, which may be going out of business or is no longer interested in bringing the product to market.

The nicer term is "Non-Practicing Entities", which Apple isn't. Just because they have patented ideas they came up with but that aren't in production, doesn't mean they'll never be used. And the fact remains they still came up with the ideas and filed for a patent in the first place.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
patent troll

An organization that uses its patents to generate revenue without manufacturing the products that the patents pertain to. The patents are usually purchased from a third party, which may be going out of business or is no longer interested in bringing the product to market.

The nicer term is "Non-Practicing Entities", which Apple isn't. Just because they have patented ideas they came up with but that aren't in production, doesn't mean they'll never be used. And the fact remains they still came up with the ideas and filed for a patent in the first place.

didnt Apple just take someone to court over a stylus?????

macs4nw

macrumors 601
......Sammy want them to beg.

My guess is, that'll never happen.

Why is it sad? It's a good thing that somebody stands up to Apple. I do agree that hearing about it every day is a bit annoying but if something good comes out of it and makes Apple less of a bully - then so be it.

Since when is APPLE a bully? If standing up for your rights makes you a bully, then SAMSUNG, who by the way also claims to have phone-related patents, is every bit as big of a bully.

BuckusToothnail

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Unfortunately for Apple, the judge in its case against Samsung in the US has agreed to review claims of misconduct against the jury foreman, who concealed the fact that he was the defendant in a lawsuit brought against him by a Samsung subsidiary and lost, which he told friends "ruined his life" and caused him to file for bankruptcy.

Another set-back for Apple is the US Patent Office invalidated 20 of its "rubber-banding" patent claims after the trial, including claims related directly to the case. This was based on the discovery of "prior art" that preceded Apple's patent application, proving it was not Apple's invention.

One of the invalidated patent claims was determined by the jury to be infringed upon by Samsung which forms much of the basis of the verdict. With the patent now invalidated, this throws the whole verdict into doubt since Apple should have never been granted that patent in the first place.

This leads to the question of how valid many of Apple's "design" patents really are.

Examples include Apple being awarded patents for something "that helps the touchscreen interpret whether the user wants, for example, to scroll up and down or switch between applications" and "allows the device to show an image on a screen with a second, translucent image over it".

No wonder the US Patent Office has been rescinding numerous patents it previously awarded to Apple. These examples are just ridiculous. The patent system was designed really for mechanical inventions, back when cutting-edge technology were electric lights, steam engines and the phonograph.

Now you can patent an IDEA or CONCEPT without actually executing it, or in these cases, writing the actual software for it. That's how Apple has all these nonsensical "patents" because they submitted every idea you can imagine, and weren't required to actually show working demonstrations of these "ideas".

The real issue is with what Apple is doing is they are basically trying to stop innovation in our world to further line their own pockets. Sadly most of the patents they are applying for they NEVER INTEND TO ACTUALIZE in a product. They only want to PREVENT any other companies from creating new products with these ideas so to block any profits for their competitors while they are trying to monopolize the market.

Sadly what this means for consumers is that Apple is preventing technological advances from reaching the market, meaning not only are the products available to us not as good as they can be, but that also we are increasingly given less choice in terms of product selection and being forced to choose only Apple given the US courts are helping them in achieving a monopoly in the United States.

It's worth noting that the US is the ONLY country where Apple has had any MAJOR success in their frivolous patent lawsuits. They have been defeated in the courts of practically every other country including a rather humiliating defeat in the UK where the court ordered Apple to post a humbling apology to Samsung on its website and in newspaper ads acknowledging Samsung didn't copy their designs.

Another sad fact is Apple now spends MORE money on lawyers, litigation and patent trolling than it does on research and development. They are paying lawyers and law firms literally billions of dollars every year on these lawsuits.

The really surprising thing is that Apple does NOT expect to recoup these legal fees even if they WON all their lawsuits. The BILLIONS in legal fees they spend every year DWARFS the potential damages awards they could win in these case. So the real reason they are suing is not for financial compensation but rather purely to prevent their competitors products from reaching the market.

How's that for "free trade". Rather than competing in the consumer marketplace by offering better products and value and letting the consumer decide the winner, Apple prefers to choose FOR the consumer by denying choice for the public and not having to compete by offering the best product.

On top of that, Apple has been refusing to PAY LICENSE FEES for using technology patented by other companies, and just lost patent lawsuits brought onto them by VirnetX and Motorola.

Oh, the irony! Apple is undergoing an ongoing crusade to stop its competitors from releasing their superior products around the world based on phantom "infringements" of their ridiculous "design" patents (most of them which are being thrown out and invalidated by the US Patent Office) and yet they are refusing to pay license fees to other companies for use of REAL technology patents?

Just goes to show what a two-faced hypocritical anti-consumer monopolistic company Apple really is. Sadly when once Apple was the anti-Microsoft, Apple has now BECOME Microsoft, Version 2.0.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
lol that made me laugh.

I have actually owned more Nokia and Samsung phones, oh and don't forget Sony Ericsson (if they even still exist lol), separately than I have iPhones.

My first phone was a Nokia [something], then I had both versions of the Nokia N95 (black and white), I have had a Samsung D500 [which I gave to my mum, I know I am nice :)] and lots of other Samsung/Nokia phones.

I can't actually think of anything product area where I would say Samsung was the first company to mind.

When someone says;
  • Computer Manufactures: Dell, even though I have owned many Macs [and still do] Dell is still the first thing that pops into my mind.
  • Mobile Phones: Apple (It's because I use it every day and it's just always with me)
  • External Drives: Western Digital
  • Televisions: LG
  • Kitchen Appliances: Hotpoint

I actually don't think I have a single Samsung [branded] device in my house.

The crazy thing is that Samsung probably plays a role in manufacturing all of those devices/appliances on the list. A great manufacturing company - just their product division makes horrible Samsung branded products.

The average consumer is what drives/moves products not the 1% who are "savvy" and know who manufactures what/where/when/how. That 1% of informed consumers contribute very little to overall product movement. It's the masses. The consumer who is "word associated". When you say "soda" they say "Coke". You say sneakers, they say "Nike". You say portable music, they say "iPod". That 99% - now they MOVE PRODUCT!.

They have been pumped so full of commercials, ads, product placements, indoctrinated - they don't care of Samsung makes 3 Trillion NAND chips a second. When they need 32GB flash drive for their new Nikon camera, they pick up a SanDisk or Kingston because they know they can trust the quality of the product because it's "associated" with a name they can trust.

Some members on Macrumors miss that point. They are staunch Samsung fans because they make 3 Trillion NAND chips a second and no other manufacturer can do that - so that means their products are the best and industry leading. Really?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't know why these threads have to always devolve in an "Us vs Them". Why anyone who dispells FUD against an Apple competitor is a "Fandroid" or "paid Samsung shill". And it's funny, all the accusations of "Fandroids paid by Samsung" come from a crowd that's always "Pro-Apple 100% no questions asked".

Sometimes, I wonder if it's not those guys who are paid to make Apple users look bad and thus make Apple look like some kind of cult. I bet that's just it. Samsung pays you guys so that you make owning Apple products look like a total mindless cult affair, so that us real Apple users get disgusted and move away to other products.

That must be it. I think I've finally understood how this works. Samsung is the reason we have all these uneducated posts that can't seem to get facts straight. Paid people to make up crap and then insult true Apple users just to get us to leave these forums and Apple's ecosystem.

Well tough guys, I like my Retina devices too much. You're not getting me to leave with your fake Apple cheerleading!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
didnt Apple just take someone to court over a stylus?????

Say what you will about the legitimacy of the patents (which is more an indictment of the system than of Apple) - I frankly couldn't care less if and what they sue for. The fact is by definition Apple is NOT a patent troll.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Let me just stop you there. Where's your citation? Cite please. Or stop.

Oh and you stating that everything Samsung makes is crap does not need citation? I guess you should stop too then.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Say what you will about the legitimacy of the patents (which is more an indictment of the system than of Apple) - I frankly couldn't care less if and what they sue for. The fact is by definition Apple is NOT a patent troll.

i wouldnt say they are, but that court case def took me by suprise.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
Oh and you stating that everything Samsung makes is crap does not need citation? I guess you should stop too then.

Three words:
1. Samsung
2. Product
3. Quality

Google them together and you will find all the citations you need or could handle.

Oh and thank you for this perfect setup - I was waiting for someone to say "cite Samsung's quality". Thank you! :D

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
Maybe people wouldn't be so cross with apple if their products were a bit cheaper? I don't know if this applies to the US or not, but many people in the EU are going through a rough patch financially. It almost feels as if the iProducts now serve as a discriminatory line between the haves and the have nots...

dolph0291

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Maybe people wouldn't be so cross with apple if their products were a bit cheaper? I don't know if this applies to the US or not, but many people in the EU are going through a rough patch financially. It almost feels as if the iProducts now serve as a discriminatory line between the haves and the have nots...

Really? Are Europeans cross with Audi, BMW and Range Rover? Are they angry with Toyota for making Lexus?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Three words:
1. Samsung
2. Product
3. Quality

Google them together and you will find all the citations you need or could handle.

Oh and thank you for this perfect setup - I was waiting for someone to say "cite Samsung's quality". Thank you! :D

I get similar result to any other searches I made replacing Samsung with other brand names like Sony, Apple, Kitchenaid, GE, and others.

What's your point?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: Please take this time to refresh your understanding of the forum rules. Several users have taken this discussion beyond the rules for appropriate debate, please do not follow their lead.

B

----------

How exactly do you "Practice a Patent"? Just wondering. ;)

In the case of an apparatus patent, make, sell or use an apparatus that is described by the claims of an issued patent. i.e. do what you claimed.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.