Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Don't know if your serious or not, if you're not, okay ha. If you are, perfect example of "extreme fanboism" on the "other side". People who live in glass houses and all of that...
I am serious. I'm not being biased, I'm simply stating that the majority of iPhone owners fail to realize that the competition often has similar or sometimes better products than what Apple has. Samsung Pay is clearly better at mobile payments than Apple Pay, as it works everywhere Apple Pay works and a lot more.

In one year when everything is chip and pin there will be no advantage to Samsung pay. Apple Pay will have the advantage as it will be integrated into websites as well.
You're kidding yourself if you think stores will stop using magnetic stripe readers anytime soon. The US is so slow when it comes to progression of credit card security. Hell we don't even have chip and PIN, it's almost all chip and sign.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am serious. I'm not being biased, I'm simply stating that the majority of iPhone owners fail to realize that the competition often has similar or sometimes better products than what Apple has. Samsung Pay is clearly better at mobile payments than Apple Pay, as it works everywhere Apple Pay works and a lot more.

You're kidding yourself if you think stores will stop using magnetic stripe readers anytime soon. The US is so slow when it comes to progression of credit card security. Hell we don't even have chip and PIN, it's almost all chip and sign.
Every place I shop now is chip and pin. With the exception of my gas card, I use the app, all my cards have chips.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Every place I shop now is chip and pin. With the exception of my gas card, I use the app, all my cards have chips.
Mine all have chips but they all use a signature. I don't even know my credit card PIN. What banks do you use? I have Bank of America and a local credit union

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Mine all have chips but they all use a signature. I don't even know my credit card PIN. What banks do you use? I have Bank of America and a local credit union

Yeah, credit cards in the US are all actually chip and sign (useless, IMO). Adoption but merchants of chip readers still feels to be moving at a snail's pace, probably because card processing using the chip is ridiculously slow. I'd read an article (sorry, can't provide link, don't remember the exact source) that many merchants, especially retailers with higher volumes of transactions, were intentionally delaying the switch to new readers, even though they now assume the risk from swiped transactions because that expected loss is less than the lost transaction volume due to longer chip transaction processing. That's a problem.

On a positive note, I have been noticing that more and more merchants who now have chip readers also have tap to pay functionality active, though in many cases they don't even realize it. ;)

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
My local Walmart's now use the chip and it takes on average 15 seconds to process the transaction. When I swipe and sign my card at my local Publix Supermarkets it's almost instantaneous with virtually no waiting. Regarding the chip, I don't know which credit card company decided on this because it's real easy to steal someones card and just insert the card for approval. The swipe and sign method at least has the chance of being asked to present some ID.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My local Walmart's now use the chip and it takes on average 15 seconds to process the transaction. When I swipe and sign my card at my local Publix Supermarkets it's almost instantaneous with virtually no waiting. Regarding the chip, I don't know which credit card company decided on this because it's real easy to steal someones card and just insert the card for approval. The swipe and sign method at least has the chance of being asked to present some ID.
They can ask for some ID just as well with the chip and sign method as well. Not sure why the whole thing takes more time though, they really should be able to do it all in the same amount of time as the swipe works.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Bank is Santander. The only time a pin isn't needed is when there isn't a customer payment terminal available.
You are talking about the US right? Never heard of that bank, nor have I ever seen anyone use a PIN with a chip card in the states. I have a PIN on my debit card bit they have always used PINs

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You are talking about the US right? Never heard of that bank, nor have I ever seen anyone use a PIN with a chip card in the states. I have a PIN on my debit card bit they have always used PINs
US. It's a combined credit/debit card. The credit side never required a pin until the chip.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Will be the same for Samsung once swipe is no longer accepted. It will just take a little while for that to become irrelevant.
Are you the representative of thousands of outlets?How can you possibly know that.I personally find them too stubborn to try something new

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Are you the representative of thousands of outlets?How can you possibly know that.I personally find them too stubborn to try something new
I guess in the same way I ask you how you could possibly know something about the masses.:rolleyes: But seriously that's why I use my cc, it's faster and I don't have to use my phone.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I guess in the same way I ask you how you could possibly know something about the masses.:rolleyes: But seriously that's why I use my cc, it's faster and I don't have to use my phone.

I walk out of my house only to see 7 on 10 stores supporting Samsung Pay and it's been that way for a year

I don't want the fiddle with plastic cards .Those are ancient relics now

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I walk out of my house only to see 7 on 10 stores supporting Samsung Pay and it's been that way for a year

I don't want the fiddle with plastic cards .Those are ancient relics now
Those ancient relics just work, weigh nothing, can be stepped on, and even used damaged. Yes, it's cool to use your phone but to each their own.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Those ancient relics just work, weigh nothing, can be stepped on, and even used damaged. Yes, it's cool to use your phone but to each their own.
You may have the time and patience to carry all that around but there's nothing like using the phone for 3 seconds everywhere for payments,what you are doing is basically trying to justify the lack of adoption of Apple Pay

SAMSUNG PAY Works Today.Apple Pay is a what if scenario

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You may have the time and patience to carry all that around but there's nothing like using the phone for 3 seconds everywhere for payments,what you are doing is basically trying to justify the lack of adoption of Apple Pay

SAMSUNG PAY Works Today.Apple Pay is a what if scenario
It only takes me 1.5 seconds for 100% guaranteed acceptance, and I save time and battery and phone stays in the pocket and avoid giving Samsung an embarrassing name...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
It only takes me 1.5 seconds for 100% guaranteed acceptance, and I save time and battery and phone stays in the pocket and avoid giving Samsung an embarrassing name...:rolleyes:

I keep my cards in my wallet.Opening it ,taking the card out ,using it and placing it back in and placing the wallet back in (I have butter fingers so I tend to drop it many times taking it out ) is nowhere near as hassle free as just whipping out my phone ,making the payment and being on my way

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I use Samsung Pay whenever I can. Most of the time I'm already looking at my phone while waiting to checkout, anyhow. And what Apple Pay/Samsung Pay brings to the table is the added security of tokenized transactions. Since my physical card number is never shown or transmitted, I don't have to worry about card skimming or pinhole cameras and whatnot.

I mean, it's not an astronomical issue, but if it deters just one card thief, then it's more than worth it to use mobile payments in my opinion.

Reactions: Radon87000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.