Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Sounds like the iPhone to me. My 3GS never had great battery, same for the iPhone 4S. Just playing around Safari while on the bus drains several percentage points.

Let's face it, these are small devices with small batteries, yet they are more potent than desktop PCs we had some 8 years ago. You can't expect them to not be power hungry.

That is very true. Nevertheless I find the battery life weak, even compared to my old 3GS. I would have expected a bit more from a brand new device. In general it comes maybe down to Apple not squeezing out the last possible MHz out of the their processors, but rather going for a compromise between Performance and Battery life and a more efficient OS.

jeff33702

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
LOL. A sample of 2 dedicates over all trends!

And? If manufacturer A with 10 smartphones sells more than a company with 3 smartphones , out selling is still outselling. Manufacturer A wants to provide the customer with more options. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I guess people have to justify why Apple may not be #1 smartphone platform in term of sales.

BTW - Apple have three different smartphone models currently being sold: 3GS, 4 and 4S.

---

Anyway it doesn't matter if Apple are not #1 sellers. As long as iOS has a healthly eco-system and user base ... what does it matter? * It doesn't *! Put away your egos, there's more important things to worry about in your lives!

Ahh but it's apples to oranges (maybe thats better than quality vs quantity). The fact that Samsung can sell more total phones does not make them more popular..it just measn that they sold more, by simple virtue of offering more models to more carriers (same carriers that bastardize the OSs so that there is no common "feel" to any of them).

So how important is it that they sold a lot? not very, imo.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Why?

Some basic advantages of more market share are generally:
- More money. Not in this market, Apple is making more profits.
- More developers. Nope, Apple has the advantage there as well.
- More accessories. Apple, again. Despite lower market share.

History repeating itself? Are you just missing the part of your statement that has changed? Android phones do not have a significant pricing advantage.

Combined with the advantages listed above, Apple's position is nothing like their position with the Mac in the 90s.

It's way too early to say to declare a winner in the market share game. It took over a decade (Mac 1984 to Windows 95) for Windows to take over the Mac. But again the strategy is very similar to Android. OS that runs on multiple HW vendors with tons of choice. And yes, on average, Android phones are cheaper than Apple phones. Ask anyone you buys phone for full price outside the US.

GWagon

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
This argument that Samsung has many phone models while Apple only have one is extremely flawed.

Put it this way, if Apple release more than one phone, they would see a significant decrease in sales on their top-of-the-line model as people now have to choose one from multiple options.

While having multiple phone models does have an effect, it is no-where near as much as what most of the people on here would like to think.

And even if it did, it would still not detract from the fact that said company is making more sales than another. If Apple choose to only release one phone model and lose out on sales in that particular market then it is their decision. It would be hilarious to belittle Samsung for it.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
"Low quality + Counterfeit + Crappy O/S + Crappy Pentile Display, but Bigger Screen"

>

"High Quality + Originality + Nice O/S + Nice Retina Display, but Smaller Screen"

SGS2 doesnt have a pentile display, although the galaxy nexus and galaxy note display is onpar with the LG Retina display (apple does not make anything HW related)

originality? apple invented the smartphone? nope

notifications were ripped off BBM and Android
http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/06/apple-ios-5-bbm-notifications-widgets-lock-screen/

Camera functions ripped off of WP7 (YES THEY COPIED MICROSOFT)
http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-flattered-with-apples-ios-5-windows-phone-features/

apple is the one with a garbage camera
http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/10/05/iphone-4s-lags-behind-samsung-galaxy-s2-outdated-truth/

apple is the one with garbage materials that aren't durable in anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

see, above

There is no comparison whatsoever.

Never mind the 23 models. Samsung sells 68 Galaxy models (including a few tablets.)

http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sQuickSearch=yes&sName=samsung+galaxy

Just filter the search to your heart's content:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung-phones-f-9-10.php

have you tried using ios4 on a 3gs? it IS A PIECE OF GARBAGE, its slow, its laggy, and its worse than windows mobile 6.5 in some ways becuase the proc is slow freaking slow.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Ahh but it's apples to oranges (maybe thats better than quality vs quantity). The fact that Samsung can sell more total phones does not make them more popular..

So when Samsung does it, it doesn't make them popular.

Yet the argument you often hear here, is that when Apple does it, it makes them more popular.

Go figure.

----------

Yes, I see :

When it comes to the cameras, both smartphones has the 8-megapixel numbers, and both have 1080p HD video recording. The iPhone 4S might win this section thanks to the video stabilization and noise cancellation.

Garbage camera indeed. And btw, the Galaxy Nexus has a lesser camera than what is in the SGS II.

Hint : Read your own links and make sure they support your opinion/facts ;)

----------

have you tried using ios4 on a 3gs? it IS A PIECE OF GARBAGE, its slow, its laggy, and its worse than windows mobile 6.5 in some ways becuase the proc is slow freaking slow.

Did you mean the 3G ? Because iOS 4 on the 3GS was fine, heck iOS 5 on the 3GS runs smooth as butter.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Reports units shipped

I hope you can read in between the lines and realize Samsung reports units shipped. That means shipped to vendors. Not final units sold. Just an FYI.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I hope you can read in between the lines and realize Samsung reports units shipped. That means shipped to vendors. Not final units sold. Just an FYI.
Similar to this news when Apple surpassed Nokia in the previous quarter.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1192982/

I believe Nokia makes a comeback next year. Don't count them out. Just a slow one for them this year ever since getting into bed with Microsoft. WP7 will be the fastest growing platform in 2012 since it can only go up from where they are right now. By 2013, WP7 will have an adoption rate similar to what Android had in 2010-2011 and be #2. Nokia has never have been #1 in the U.S. since they wanted to cater to us, but they can dominate outside the country.

It will be a three-horse race for #1 in hardware between Nokia vs Samsung vs Apple and a three-horse race for #1 in OSes between Apple vs Google vs Microsoft. HTC, Motorola, LG, SE, and RIM will still have their following but I have a harder time ever seeing them in the trifecta.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Ahh but it's apples to oranges (maybe thats better than quality vs quantity). The fact that Samsung can sell more total phones does not make them more popular..it just measn that they sold more, by simple virtue of offering more models to more carriers (same carriers that bastardize the OSs so that there is no common "feel" to any of them).

So how important is it that they sold a lot? not very, imo.

It does make them more popular. More sales = more people have the phone = more popular.

Funny how when Apple sales are greater than others people say it's because they are more popular - but when reversed all of these justifications start emerging.

Here's the bottom line. Who cares? Apple and Samsung I'm sure. But the rest of us? It doesn't mean anything. Do you care if you have the most popular phone or not? Because if you do (and that's your right, of course) then perhaps you should examine why you're using the phone you're using.

Personally - I use the phone that works best for me. I don't give a rat's behind how popular it is.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Whatever - people will rationalize it all they want. If Apple sold more - they'd be praising Apple. Instead they are slighting Samsung.

Does anyone REALLY care either way? How does it affect you personally? Enjoy whatever phone you have.

Apple probably DID sell more. That's the point. The article is comparing Apple's ACTUAL SALES to Samsungs SHIPPED numbers and conjecture of sales numbers, since, accoring to the article, Samsung DOESN'T RELEASE sales numbers!

So, the only reason people care is because misinformation like this leads to erroneous assumptions. Casual readers will walk away thinking Samsung really "Dethroned" Apple in smartphone sales, which is not demonstrated by the evidence.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apple probably DID sell more. That's the point. The article is comparing Apple's ACTUAL SALES to Samsungs SHIPPED numbers and conjecture of sales numbers, since, accoring to the article, Samsung DOESN'T RELEASE sales numbers!

So, the only reason people care is because misinformation like this leads to erroneous assumptions. Casual readers will walk away thinking Samsung really "Dethroned" Apple in smartphone sales, which is not demonstrated by the evidence.

You have no basis to your claim. You have no idea who sold more anymore than the article state.

Further - who gives a crap what people walk away with. Did you buy your phone because it sold more than any other phone? If you did - that's pretty pathetic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.