Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antbikerjl

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
100 billion in the bank last quarter, probably 120+ billion will be reported this quarter. Enough to buy Samsung out in CA$H alone.

Comments like these show people have NO idea the worth of companies. Samsung Co. is worth in the upper hundreds of billions due to assets they outright own. They did approx $120billion on-the-book revenue. This has no bearing on the already standing money from previous years. If anything, Samsung has more potential to buy Apple Co. Apple couldn't even afford the factories that Samsung produces Apple components in...

BJ.SoundWave360

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
Seattle
No more Samsung for me!

If Samsung and Apple are going down this road, being an Apple fan, Samsung is the enemy, and I will no longer support Samsung for any reason, and review their products I have that happen to be just so-so.

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Samsung is simply trying to get revenge. But their stuff DOES look like Apple's. From USB cables, to chargers, to the method of boxing the device. To the outer looks of the packaging, to the UI, to the device design... All very similar, and Apple designed this stuff first... Samsung copied. Plain and simple.

I don't think this is samsung getting revenge so much as showing that they're not going to sit back and take apples crap regarding this. I think apple have been a little unreasonable in regards to these lawsuits. I would prefer that things like this be settled and ended in agreements and more collaboration between these two tech giants.

Now to your claim about their stuff looking like apples:
My GS2 does NOT look like an iPhone, sure it has a bit screen and three buttons at the bottom but it feels different on the back, looks different from the side.
It uses a micro-usb cable, an industry standard, which means that if I accidently loose or break mine, I can get another for $1, rather that $30 for an apple cable.
My charge is quite different, it isn't a plug in USB-socket device, it's a dedicated mains charger.
The minimalist packaging is actually an environmental and business thing. The smaller the box, the less random space, the more units can be shipped by a single plane, the less trips need to be made, uses less jet fuel.
The UI is VERY different and if anyone here had actually picked up a GS2 and tried it for more than two seconds to 'prove' to themselves it's a clone would actually notice that it's very different. When was the last time you put a widget on your home screen, hmmmm?

I'm sick of people going on about Samsung products being clones. They're not. I've used both apple and samsung and they're different. I prefer samsung, but I know it's not everybody's cup of tea. And let me remind you about apple doctoring images to make them look similar!

Vegasman

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
When i grabbed my phone yesterday I wondered why it has to be top down/pull down.

Why couldn't it have been swipe UP from the home button? My thumb is there when i grab it, why do i have to go up to the top?

Because it is too easy to accidentally touch the capacitive buttons located just below the "start" of the swipe area (when the swipe area is at the bottom)?

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009

So, what Apple is saying that the only "reasonable" terms are those deemed reasonable by Apple and not the IP holder. By the same logic we should be allowed to pay "reasonable" prices for Apple products, the prices that we set ourselves.

Because (according to Apple) Samsung did not make an offer, they just sought an injunction.

edit: sorry, I could be wrong, I just read that Samsung did make an offer.

Last edited:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I wonder how much Apple pays for all the legal fees with this Samsung thing compared to how much it would cost to just buy Samsung & all its patents.

I think Samsung's market cap is about $100 billion. So assuming you would have to pay a take-over premium of at least 30%, figure $130 billion to buy out Samsung. Apple's legal fees to fight all the IP battles against Samsung is probably less than $30 million a year. I'm just guessing at that number but it is certainly several orders of magnitude smaller than solving the problem with an acquisition. Especially since Apple is winning most of these challenges.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I wonder how much Apple pays for all the legal fees with this Samsung thing compared to how much it would cost to just buy Samsung & all its patents.
They have a legal department. Not that much outsourcing. Maybe in other countries, though.
Jesus, not this crap again. :rolleyes: PDMI, different things called the same, etc... etc..
PDMI itself is a blatant copy of Apple's connector. Silly argument, this should be annoying to anyone that wants to easily identify cables and connectors in their house. I have to closely look to figure out if our cables are for a Sansa or iPod, for instance.

The one thing people complain about regarding Apple's wires is the proprietary connector. (when they should be complaining about flimsiness) "Why can't they use USB standard", etc. Yet Samsung copied the mess, too. They really should pay better attention.
Didn't I already post that image? ..
And much smaller. Which we like.

Isn't this press release now copying Apple's words from their court filings, too? I suppose they are going for irony. Kinda funny.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Here is where Apple made the claim in court last week:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/295936-samsung-asks-apple-for-2-4-payout-on-iphone-chipsets

I will have to find the link with the Samsung interview.

Here Samsung says they don't know if Apple does or not. They say Apple is being sneaky:

http://9to5google.com/2011/09/26/sa...nsed-the-whole-package-or-individual-patents/

Also interesting to note there, the Qualcomm chipset in the CDMA phones, does not appear to have a license. Samsung changed their deal with Qualcoomm to exclude Apple. This seems more than a little discriminatory.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This is so obious! Samsung is piss because they don't have any new design from apple to copy.
I saw what Jobs did here!:cool:

Doesn't seem like they need Apple to me :

nprime1.jpg

Some of you guys need to look beyond the Apple bubble. ;)

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
It's amusing how they are doing downright nasty things like this to each other and at the same time Samsung is suppling Apple.

A different part of the company though.

I’m divided on what to think. Who’s right, who’s wrong. But at the end of the day, Samsung seems to have copied a lot of the design aspects of Apple products, while Apple is using Samsung-patented technologies, regardless of who owns what, so they’re both guilty, but who has more to lose?

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Reasonable is coupled with fair and non-discriminatory. It means not decidedly different than what other people are paying for the same technology. Samsung chose to have their technology be part of the standard.

Nope, FRAND is to prevent companies essentially extorting fees out of customers for essential technologies part of a standard. Basically they can ask no more from Apple than they ask from other licensees.

e.g Samsung can't go to Apple and say, "ok, 3 bucks per iPhone plus we want a cross licensing deal and access to x y and z patents, bitch"
I understand what both of you're saying but is there any evidence that Samsung demanded more from Apple then from other licensees? If there is such evidence that it seems that decision would be cut and dry. Also, what would be considered a "reasonable" deviation in licensing costs? For example: five years ago Nokia licensed IP from Samsung for $xxx. Today Apple wishes to license the same IP from Samsung but this time Samsung asks for $yyy sighting inflation, higher R&D costs, etc. Would that not be considered reasonable?

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
I'm convinced that you are acting, no one can say things like this seriously

Its a little hyperbole sure, but it can't be denied can it? Apple is one of the most successful companies to ever exist, and the top smartphone maker in the world...with one phone. You can deny it all you want, but the fact remains that Apple is far more successful in the smartphone market then any other OEM on the planet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.