Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleSauce007

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
I thought it was an iPad AD so...

...I think this AD will actually sell iPads.

Everyone knows if you want a good tablet, you get an iPad.

If you see an AD like this, it's an iPad AD, so go buy an iPad. LOL.

Even if you realize that this AD is for a Samsung device you will still buy an iPad when you get to the store because the Samsung tablet sucks.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
...Why are they White people...

Apple doesn't broadcast their specs like most tech companies do. They try to embody the style and use of the products in a more human way.

YouTube: video

Funny, I've never seen anyone with an iPod do any of the things the "people" in iPod commercials did...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
It isn't just coincidental. It's this ad, following everything else they've done for months now.

Read in context, this is just more copying by Samsung. It isn't an innocent, unintended similarity by some other company. It's part of a concerted effort by Samsung to follow Apple as closely as possible, without regard for the consequences.

I've seen this "soft" style of advertising for years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHFKE6PD_6U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Apple were not the first company to use soothing music and soft voiceovers on their ads.

Edit: compare the M&S ad to this for instance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2LLSrlKr3c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Is it just me or does that commercial make the device look like a toy for children? Granted, I don't know what the narrator is saying, but the little girl even leaves it on a bookcase filled with children's books at the end.

Seems like a far cry from Apple's advertisements.

Yeah, Apple's products are clearly aimed at adults. You can tell just by reading most of the comments in the App Store (and here for that matter).

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
You've just proven to the world that you have zero credibility. The first photo in the image you posted is from a CES display booth, where the whole wall (I.E every_single_booth) had app icons on it.

Think for just a second....Samsung dont have shops...never have done. Do a Google Images search for 'samsung shop' and you'll see that electronics retailers will put logos from the companies they sell products for all over the shop...its very common.

----------

MR dont tend to disable either...
Its so obvious that retailers put logos, signs, and similar other things for the brands they sell. You can see all the different brands in that picture, not just Apple's. I don't even read his posts anymore. Its always some overly bias pro Apple nonsense.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Didn't you know Apple have patents on parents, children, fun, laughter, blankets, teddy bears, Asphalt 6, bettle shaped cycling helmets, park benches, slippers and ikea bookshelves.

For shame Samsung :rolleyes:

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Apple dont have to broadcast specs, as they'll always develop the software to get the best out of whatever hardware its using.

Unlike android, which needs at least twice the horsepower to get comparable performance to anything on iOS or even WP7 for that matter.

Android on tablets is great, but when companies like samsung get hold of it and put all of that touchwiz garbage over the top of it, its terrible.

kdarling

macrumors P6
This ad isn't really news. It's just another addition to a long string of Apple-copying that Samsung has been doing for months now.

(annoyingly long picture snipped out)

I vote that the forum bans the next person who uses that photo collage. At the least, size it down or split it up. It's a real pain running across it on a mobile device.

At best, it's not even a very meaningful set of images:

1) Store. Even you know that the wall icons belonged to the overall store, not to Samsung's tiny booth. Including that part is not just laziness, it's bogus.

2) Plugs. Nobody buys a device based on the shape of its power plugs. More importantly, Apple has never complained about the plugs, so I'm not sure why their fans think they know better than Apple.

3) Boxes. Pictures on packaging is not a new style, although Apple has helped make it popular again for certain device categories.

4) Mikes. Using old style microphones is a time honored way of showing voice input. Below is an example of a 2007 HTC voice recorder, predating the iPhone's:

2007_htc_wing_recorder.png

And below here is Apple's voice input icon on their keyboard, long after Android had the same thing:

android_ios_voice_key.png

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Why does the Korean ad feature American-looking people? With English books?

Korea has a strange relationship with America and the English language.

During several days of travel around Seoul, I noticed that a lot of kids wore t-shirts with a slogan or a few words (just like the US). Then I realized an interesting thing: all of the words were English; nobody had any Korean lettering on their clothing.

Maybe a father is viewed as "enlightened" to have a bunch of English-lanugage books for his daughter.

I fondly recall the Kyobo Book Centre in Seoul. It had a great collection of English, French, and Japanese books. A Korean student asked me an esoteric usage question when in the store; she presumed that all Americans must speak perfect English. I hope that store chain has done OK and hasn't gone the way or Borders here in the US.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
It's a pretty dead-on insightful opinion, I must say. It's Arn's site, and he's allowed to editorialize.

The Samsung ad looks almost like a one-to-one copy of an Apple ad. Pure rip-off. To the point that it's so blatant it's disgusting. And Samsung knows this. And they don't care. They are clever, corporate THIEVES.

Just what kind of company are they?

THIS is the kind:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/business/worldbusiness/20samsung.html

New Bribery Allegation Roils Samsung

SEOUL, South Korea, Nov. 19 — Samsung, which has vigorously denied bribery charges in a snowballing corruption scandal, sustained another blow to its image on Monday when a former legal adviser to President Roh Moo-hyun said the company had once offered him a cash bribe.

The former aide, Lee Yong-chul, who also served as a presidential monitor against corruption, said that the money — 5 million won ($5,445) — was delivered to him in January 2004 as a holiday gift from a Samsung Electronics executive, but that he immediately returned it.

Before sending it back, Mr. Lee said, he took pictures of the cash package, which were released to the news media on Monday.

“I was outraged by Samsung’s brazenness, by its attempt to bribe a presidential aide in charge of fighting corruption,” Mr. Lee said in a written statement released at a news conference by a civic organization. He did not attend the event.

James Chung, a spokesman for Samsung Electronics, said, “We are trying to find out the facts around these allegations.”

Samsung Electronics is the mainstay of the 59-subsidiary Samsung conglomerate and a world leader in computer chips, flat-panel television screens and cellphones.

Mr. Lee’s accusation appeared to support recent assertions by a former chief lawyer at Samsung, Kim Yong-chul, that the conglomerate had run a vast network that bribed officials, prosecutors, tax collectors, journalists and scholars on behalf of Samsung’s chairman, Lee Kun-hee.

Prosecutors are investigating Mr. Kim’s accusations, and political parties have introduced legislation that would establish an independent counsel.

Opposition political parties say an independent prosecutor is needed because Mr. Kim identified the president’s new chief prosecutor, Lim Chai-jin, as one of many prosecutors to have received bribes from Samsung. Mr. Lim denied the assertion.

President Roh’s office dismissed the call for an independent counsel as an election-year political maneuver. The South Korean presidential election is scheduled on Dec. 19.

As the scandal expanded, the chairman, Lee Kun-hee, was absent Monday from a ceremony commemorating the 20th anniversary of the death of his father, Lee Byung-chul, Samsung’s founder. Company officials cited a “serious cold and illness from fatigue.”

Lee Yong-chul, the former presidential aide, now a partner at a law firm in Seoul, issued his statement and pictures through the National Movement to Unveil Illegal Activities by Samsung and Its Chairman, an organization that was started by civic groups after Mr. Kim’s allegations were made public.

Calls to Mr. Lee’s office were not returned on Monday.

“This is proof that Samsung’s bribery has reached not only prosecutors but the very core of political power, the Blue House,” the group said at the news conference, referring to the South Korean presidential office. President Roh’s office called that assertion “pure speculation.”

Mr. Lee said the bribe he received in 2004 was delivered after an executive at Samsung Electronics asked him whether his company could send him a holiday gift. Mr. Lee said he accepted, thinking that it would be a simple gift.

He said that when he returned the money with a protest, the Samsung executive apologized. The executive said he had simply allowed his company to send the gift in his name and had not known it contained cash, Mr. Lee related.

The executive could not be reached for comment. Samsung said the man left the company in June 2004 and now lived in the United States.

Lee Yong-chul said he decided to go public after reading about the lawyer Kim Yong-chul’s whistle-blowing. He said he believed Mr. Kim’s assertion that Samsung had run a systematic bribery effort.

Samsung has denied Mr. Kim’s allegations as “groundless.” A couple of Samsung executives Mr. Kim accused of delivering bribes have sued him.

In his statement, Lee Yong-chul said the cash was delivered to him while prosecutors were investigating assertions that Samsung and other conglomerates had provided large amounts of illegal campaign funds to presidential candidates during the 2002 election, which Mr. Roh won.

Several campaign officials for Mr. Roh and his opponent, Lee Hoi-chang, as well as Samsung executives, were convicted of playing major roles in raising slush funds in that campaign.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More recent:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1627411/...-expose-accuses-samsung-of-massive-corruption

Bribery, Massive Corruption at Samsung, Says Exposé by Former S. Korean Prosecutor

. . . In addition, a lawmaker said she had once been offered a golf bag full of cash from Samsung, and a former presidential aide said he had received and returned a cash gift from the company.

Lee Kun-hee, the chairman of Samsung, was convicted of hiding more than $42 million from tax collection, and received nothing more than a suspended sentence. The media decided not to mention the whistle-blowing book at all, despite it achieving remarkable sales for a non-fiction book in that country. (Not a single newspaper published a review, and the only discussion of the book mentioned its sales--but not its title or author. Yeah, you read that right. They left out the title.) Even worse, the media refused to print any op-eds or articles explaining, let alone backing, Kim Yong-chul's side, out of fear that Samsung would pull advertisements from their TV shows and newspapers.

--------------------------------------------

http://news.techeye.net/business/south-korea-makes-example-of-samsung-corruption

South Korea makes example of Samsung corruption

Samsung has been publicly forced to get its act together to stamp out corruption, with the South Korean government choosing to make an example of it.

According to a top industry consultant familiar with the company, Samsung's legal "philanderings" are no secret. While other companies are also at it, the South Korean government is keeping them safe as it looks to drive revenue and reputation to the country.

The comments come as news of shadiness inside Samsung spreads, after an inspection found that elements of the company were involved in corruption.

The findings led to CEO Oh Chang-Suk stepping down and Lee Kun-Hee, chairman of the company, claiming there would be some managerial changes.

However, he would not specify what the investigation had uncovered - only saying that it included taking bribes and enjoying hospitality from suppliers. He said the "worst type" of abuse was pressure on junior staff to commit corrupt acts.

"Corruption and fraud" at Samsung Techwin came about accidentally, and was a result of a "complacent attitude during the past decade", he told reporters

This isn't the first time Samsung has been alleged to have its hands in the till. In 2007 the company's former executives accused it of bribing police and politicians to stop probes into its management, while in 2009 the chairman, along with nine other senior executives, were indicted on tax dodging charges.

According to our analyst, speaking under condition of anonymity, these are well known facts.

"Let's be honest, Samsung's philanderings are not a secret, the company has been at it for years," he said.

---------------------------------------------------------

This is the sort of (criminal) organization Apple is dealing with.

Put nothing past them.

You know LTD I don't agree with you too much, but I do on this. I wouldn't give the Samsung Corporation a penny of my money, unless I can't help it because something they made is built into an Apple product I own.

When I went shopping for a new large screen LCD TV last month my only criteria was anything but Samsung. I ended up with an LG. Other then some Samsung parts that might be in my Apple products my house is Samsung free!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Didn't you know Apple have patents on parents, children, fun, laughter, blankets, teddy bears, Asphalt 6, bettle shaped cycling helmets, park benches, slippers and ikea bookshelves.

For shame Samsung :rolleyes:

If they can't copy the product for fear of further patent troubles, they copy the marketing, where IP rights tend to be a little more blurry. These guys will try to get their hands on anything that isn't nailed down.

What's next, a Samsung copy of Steve Jobs?

Oh wait, looks like someone's got that covered too.

http://www.buzzom.com/2011/08/spot-the-differences-between-steve-jobs-and-xiaomis-ceo-pics/

And even more blatant:

http://www.unfinishedman.com/strange-knock-off-products-from-around-the-world/

Knockoff-Steve-Jobs.jpg

Let’s start off with the Chinese Steve Jobs who introduces a knock-off of the iPad. Talk about attention to detail – check out the black turtle neck and faded jeans.

Last edited:

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is just shameless. I guess that this was the only route to go when the marketing platform of every single Android device of running Flash crumbled.

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
if it quacks like a duck...

For some reason when the voice-over guy giggled in the ad, I imagine a Samsung spoke person laughing at Apple (saying to themselves "try and sue this!").

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I mean that's what Asia is best at. Copying.

I don't know they must be doing something right. The Asian market is doing ALOT better than this country..

Just like Steve Jobs said. :apple:

Steve jobs said that he took ideas before..

My credibility is irrelevant. The photos, plus this new piece of evidence (the ad) is what is under discussion: Samsung's credibility and corporate integrity. As in, they have none.

If they are so shamelessly capable of this, one can only wonder what they'll do next.

forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm SURE apple had copied stuff from other companies also..

James

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
that did strike me as strange. Maybe we'll see the ad in the U.S. with a different voiceover.

arn

I was thinking that. It still seems like a weird thing to do, especially since they're not a US company. I'd make my commercial versions for my home country first and then a US version and probably dub the rest.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
If they can't copy the product for fear of further patent troubles, they copy the marketing, where IP rights tend to be a little more blurry. These guys will try to get their hands on anything that isn't nailed down.

What's next, a Samsung copy of Steve Jobs?

Oh wait, looks like someone's got that covered too.

http://www.buzzom.com/2011/08/spot-the-differences-between-steve-jobs-and-xiaomis-ceo-pics/

And even more blatant:

http://www.unfinishedman.com/strange-knock-off-products-from-around-the-world/

Let’s start off with the Chinese Steve Jobs who introduces a knock-off of the iPad. Talk about attention to detail – check out the black turtle neck and faded jeans.

Credability's dropping by the post. In neither of the links you provided were Samsung shown to be copying anything....they didn't even mention samsung... You feeling ok today? :rolleyes:

----------

I believe the suggestion was that they would be disabled on YouTube, not MR.

B

Ahh gotcha

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
This ad isn't really news. It's just another addition to a long string of Apple-copying that Samsung has been doing for months now.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/09/29/apple-samsung-copycat-2/

samsung-copycat-e1317254306784.jpg

I certainly do hope Apple pursues them to the fullest legal extent - delays them, harasses them, and uses every possible weapon within the legal limits of the game to make life as difficult as possible for them. This is what you do with thieves.

LOL, goodness...are you an attorney for Apple? :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.