Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Same with SFO. You're 45 minutes from what San Jose has to offer, a little under 2 hours to Sacramento, 4 to Reno, 90 minutes to Napa.. And this isn't even counting what is in SFO proper.

You made it all the way to Reno without even mentioning the Sierra Nevada mountain range! :eek:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
You made it all the way to Reno without even mentioning the Sierra Nevada mountain range! :eek:

I didn't want to scare him because he may get stuck up at Donner Summit and get worried that some starving Old west Paul Bunyon-type lumberjack is going to show up and eat him before he gets to Truckee. :p

BL.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
ah thats the one my roommate and I go to occasionally

The food was really good..... Both me and wife had the singles... the fries were great (if you like them crispy, make sure to tell them extra crispy!).

----------

As a native San Franciscan who lives in New York, I wouldn't quite say that. SF has a lot of stuff concentrated in a small area, and a lot of interesting places within driving distance outside the city. NYC is bigger and has a lot more things to see and do, especially at night. SF still largely closes up shop by 9-10PM, except for the bars.

Glad that the OP got to Tempest. It's a dive, but it's a serious beer bar for serious beer drinkers. Should've gone up the street to Rosamunde's for a grilled bratwurst while you were there.

Beard Papa is a Japanese chain. Tasty cream puffs. I haven't yet tried to track down a location in NYC, but I assume they're here somewhere.

Glad you enjoyed 21st Amendment and Little Star. Some places in NYC actually sell 21st Amendment, and we figured out how to bake our own Little Star-style pizza at home.

I've never been to Fume. There are quite a few amazing restaurants in the Napa Valley.

We have been to NY, to many times to count and always find new stuff to do. Love that place!!!

I wish I would have known about the "Rosamunde's", I am always looking for a good bratwurst place. We go to a local one here called Wurstküche...... Between the beer and the food. Heaven.

Tempest was good. We had quite a few glasses and were even bought a shot of Jameson by the bartender. Once he found out the wife's name is Tempest also, well lets just say we were taken care of for the rest of the night. The only thing we didn't get was a sweatshirt! :D

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
If they are available and open (they should), you could hop a bus over to San Rafael, and get a tour of Guide Dogs for the Blind. No matter how crappy a day you may have, nothing gets you out of that funk than being bomdarded by and playing with puppies. :)

You just made my day.

Taylor Street Coffee Shop (best breakfast I've had in a city)

What's so good about it? I walk by that place every day on my way to work. Maybe I'll have to try it next time. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like I'm heading back to SF later this year, so all the info in this thread is becoming very useful. I think might visit Alcatraz this time around, I didn't the last time I visited SF

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Looks like I'm heading back to SF later this year, so all the info in this thread is becoming very useful. I think might visit Alcatraz this time around, I didn't the last time I visited SF

One thing we found out after the fact, was there are also night tours, or dusk tours. That might be something to look into also.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The DeYoung Museum and the Legion of Honor both have nice collections of fine art, and the California Academy of Sciences is a blast (even without kids).

The SF Botanical Garden and the Japanese Tea Garden are both great, but the latter can get extremely busy to the point of ruining the experience.

If you have the ability to get out of the city at all, there's lots of great hiking in pretty much every direction.

Reactions: maflynn

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Idk if it was mentioned here, but what's supposed to be the best burrito place in the world is La Taqueria. I went. I actually didn't like it, but that's me. I recommend going.

Also check out Blue Bottle Coffee Co.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Go to Delores Park and definitely eat at LA TAQUERIA on Mission St. near 26th. It's incredible. Four Barrel Coffee and Ritual Coffee on Valencia are worth checking out if you're into a solid cup of joe.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
If you like German Food, I cannot talk enough about SuppenKuche. Every time the wife and I go down to the city we always say we are going to try somewhere different, and end up right back there for the Sauerbraten, the bread, and beer on tap. Erdinger Dunkel on tap is an amazing dark beer.

Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
If you like German Food, I cannot talk enough about SuppenKuche. Every time the wife and I go down to the city we always say we are going to try somewhere different, and end up right back there for the Sauerbraten, the bread, and beer on tap. Erdinger Dunkel on tap is an amazing dark beer.

It is a good wheat beer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.