Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Only 80 bucks over?

I've had people try to sell me iPhone 6's while in line waiting for my guaranteed selection.

I won't be politically correct, they are Persian out here in S.Cal. However the Day 1/2 lines were 90% Chinese.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Only 80 bucks over?

I've had people try to sell me iPhone 6's while in line waiting for my guaranteed selection.

I won't be politically correct, they are Persian out here in S.Cal. However the Day 1/2 lines were 90% Chinese.

If you ask me that's not being politically incorrect or insensitive or racist...its just an observation....But I digress...I don't want others to get upset so I guess I'll play it safe and stand down.....

But its got me curious...has anyone on hear gotten an iPhone from a scalper either in person or online? Just curious...I suppose convenience is never free, one way or another it gets paid for by someone.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Too many "political correct" users on here.. will not comment any further on race.

Just say it. It's not racist. If they were Asian than they were asian. If they were white than they were white. It's not racism. Denzel Washington is black. It's nto racist to say he is black.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
What is wrong with society? It is ok to if you say someone is "blank" race.

I saw a white guy, black guy, Asian guy, etc etc. Stating an individual's race isn't racist. America is turning into a bunch of babies.

It's a p***ified politically correct media culture now. Say the slightest thing about minorities or homosexuals and you will be labeled a discriminator and roasted alive.

I laughed when the OP kept repeating "I will not mention race, I will not mention race" like he was afraid of saying it and being labeled a racist by ignorant politically correct types.

This map explain exactly why they are so many people from Asia in the USA, and some day you will see more asian people than anyone else.

fe91a3dc38b1981226c5c025fc759674.jpg

Still blows my mind seeing that picture, how the hell did that crap even happen? Was contraception simply against the rules and it was mandatory to have more children that you can possibly take care of? :confused:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And there is no proof or reason to suspect that any laws are broken. Gut feelings are not reasons.

Didn't say it was a gut feeling.

----------

Hmmmmm nope...... can only be charged with trespassing if they refused to leave after being asked to do so. Simply being on the property isn't a criminal offense if the public is allowed in the same area at the same time.

People like you make me fear for the future.... You have no clue what your rights actually are and that allows mistaken bacon who wants to over flex their power to feel empowered and allows them to think it's ok to stomp on all people's rights.

----------

what he said.

Sure they can. People like you worry me as you feel you can do anything you want at any time time in any place and your rights are being protected even with borderline behavior in a specific situation. Like yelling fire in a movie theater when no emergency exists. No harm no foul right? Or scalping tickets to sports events, which ironically is against the law.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Wrong. You are forgetting that if a market exists for scalping, the person who buys from the scalper "will use the device". So net sum is zero.

If Apple made 10M iPhones available in its initial production/sales run and they sell out, that means 10M end consumers end up with iPhones - regardless of whether 10, 10,000, or 1M of those phones were bought and resold by scalpers.

You get an "F" in basic economics.

You didn't read my post carefully. I stated very clearly that more people in the ***intended market*** would get the iPhones.

The scalping situation shifted numerous U.S. iPhone 6/6+ units to China, where it was illegal to sell the iPhone 6/6+.

The result was unhappy American customers. Of course, none of this seems to matter to proponents of anarchic capitalism. Rules are for "other people".

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
You didn't read my post carefully. I stated very clearly that more people in the ***intended market*** would get the iPhones.

The scalping situation shifted numerous U.S. iPhone 6/6+ units to China, where it was illegal to sell the iPhone 6/6+.

The result was unhappy American customers. Of course, none of this seems to matter to proponents of anarchic capitalism. Rules are for "other people".

And we are not talking about exporting phones in this thread. The OP clearly stated that scalpers are selling phones ***IN THE STORE***. So take your self-righteous whining elsewhere. Additionally, you have NO numbers or hard data that would justify the word "numerous" so unless you do, your statement is simply conjecture/hype and not fact.

Last edited:

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Scalpers are now "scalping" INSIDE the apple store (NYC)

And we are not talking about exporting phones in this thread. The OP clearly stated that scalpers are selling phones ***IN THE STORE***. So take your self-righteous whining elsewhere. Additionally, you have NO numbers or hard data that would justify the word "numerous" so unless you do, your statement is simply conjecture/hype and not fact.

First of all, I was replying to AbeFrohman's post about the effect of the absence of scalpers generally. I was not referring to the OP's specific experience at the Apple Store.

Second, no one who lives in the real world will deny that many scalpers camped at Apple Stores in NYC and handed off their purchases to middlemen. The Chinese government even issued a statement asking citizens to look upon illegal iPhones with "contempt", and many iPhones were seized at border crossings into China. It's obvious that something is going on.

If this offends you, too bad.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
This is just the way Apple Wants it. Low supply and high demand. Now you have interest in the product and people willing to do anything to get it. Just like OnePlus One did the invite system to get people talking about that phone and then people would pay scalper prices to get the phone.

As long as Apple is around you are going to have scalpers and on every release date you are going to have lines.

Agree. That's what made Ty Warner (Beanie Babies) a billionaire.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
First of all, I got into this discussion by replying to AbeFrohman's post about the effect of the absence of scalpers generally. I was not referring to the OP's specific experience at the Apple Store.

Second, no one who lives in the real world will deny that many scalpers camped at Apple Stores in NYC and handed off their purchases to middlemen. The Chinese government even issued a statement asking citizens to look upon illegal iPhones with "contempt", and many iPhones were seized at border crossings into China. It's obvious that something is going on.

Again, no numbers or hard data. You can admit it, it's OK. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but you cannot state that the number is significant unless you actually know how many phones were exported. That's the simple truth. Drawing conclusions from anecdotes and media hype means nothing.

The only thing I'm offended about is your ignorance and lack of understanding of basic economics and statistics. If that offends YOU, too bad.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
I'm pretty sure what they are doing "in store" is illegal.. solicitation laws etc.. not to mention tax evasion

Not to defend anyone, but how many times does a tax need to be paid?
Pretty sure they already paid tax to apple when they bought the iphones who then pays the government.

Pretty sure legit resellers are tax exempt and the buyer is the one who pays the tax - once. That's how it works in my state anyway.

If you sell your lawnmower/car on craigslist do you charge tax & then pay the government? I doubt it. I also doubt any law enforcement official is going to come running if called since there are a lot bigger fish to fry.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Again, no numbers or hard data. You can admit it, it's OK. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but you cannot state that the number is significant unless you actually know how many phones were exported. That's the simple truth. Drawing conclusions from anecdotes and media hype means nothing.

The only thing I'm offended about is your ignorance and lack of understanding of basic economics and statistics. If that offends YOU, too bad.

Have fun being offended then. I'm done arguing.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
just got back from an apple store in nyc, 3 different eldery folks (will not mention race, will not mention race) asked me if i wanted to buy a 6 plus for $80 over cost. The store is packed so they are not so obvious to the employees

i'm guessing they will just return the phone for cash after 14 days if no bites...

Looks like overseas demand is waning, or the risk/reward to ship overseas is not justified.

Ageism!!!!! :)

Bring on the old people defenders! :)

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Pretty sure they already paid tax to apple when they bought the iphones who then pays the government.

Pretty sure legit resellers are tax exempt and the buyer is the one who pays the tax - once. That's how it works in my state anyway.

If you sell your lawnmower/car on craigslist do you charge tax & then pay the government? I doubt it. I also doubt any law enforcement official is going to come running if called since there are a lot bigger fish to fry.

If only the tax laws were written this way.

"Pretty sure legit resellers are tax exempt" .lol, any profit they make will require taxes to be paid.

Car sales tax might be treated differently (in different states). The reality is, if you earn X dollars you will pay tax on it. The only exception are profit from selling a house, tax free munis and writing off a loss to offset the gain.

Tax evasion is the big fish, imagine if people were not afraid to avoid paying taxes (i.e Greece), the country would be in the toilet in a few years due to the enormous budget.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Really? Unless the scalper digs in and picks up an argument or worse, gets into fisticuffs - what's the worst the store employees or manager could do - ask you to leave? There are a lot of pranks on YouTube that require more balls than that...

Exactly. A prank could have more balls. But this wasn't a prank, that what makes it so damn good to read.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

The government having bigger fish to fry is not the same as what the law requires. Do a search for are garage sale proceeds taxable? While there are a lot of nuances, and while nobody would ever bust a phone scalper for tax evasion, even though it is possible, the law covers a lot of ground.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
If only the tax laws were written this way.

"Pretty sure legit resellers are tax exempt" .lol, any profit they make will require taxes to be paid.

Car sales tax might be treated differently (in different states). The reality is, if you earn X dollars you will pay tax on it. The only exception are profit from selling a house, tax free munis and writing off a loss to offset the gain.

Tax evasion is the big fish, imagine if people were not afraid to avoid paying taxes (i.e Greece), the country would be in the toilet in a few years due to the enormous budget.

True on the profit. But I don't think if anyone calls the authorities on people selling a few iphones 80.00 over retail that they will come running. And if they did, they'd have to prove sales were actually made at profit.

If it was a truck full of iphones that may draw their attention.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
This debate has been rehashed many times on Macrumors, and it comes down to this: some people (most, I would wager), support an orderly society where people follow the law. Others (not necessarily the person you are replying to) value an anarchic free-market economics at the cost of nearly everything else. They don't care about the filth and trash that the camping scalpers in NYC left behind, or the cost of police overtime to the taxpayers. Rules are for other people.

And yes, I am a crank shouting at the self-entitled kids to get off my lawn! :)

Yep, and some folks, that claim to value things like "freedom" and "capitalism" (especially if it had the nerve to affect their retirement checks...) will always make a fuss when those same principals make them uncomfortable.

There are PLENTY of things I don't "like" about freedom. It allows people to do a lot of things that I don't personally agree with, but I accept because freedom has a very high cost.

Free markets and Capitalism do too. When someone wins it means someone else loses, and the loser is almost universally never happy.

These ELDERLY CHINESE people are shining examples of what makes the USA GREAT. If you don't like it, there are no walls keeping you here.

And no, it's not tax evasion (provided they are properly filing tax returns reporting the income... and I'm suuuuure they are =)), and it's certainly not illegal inside a store. The store owners CAN ask them to leave, but they didn't in this case.

I said it before and I'll say it again: BRAVO ELDERLY CHINESE "SCALPERS"!

As a proud American/Capitalist/Winner, I SALUTE you.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
First of all, I was replying to AbeFrohman's post about the effect of the absence of scalpers generally. I was not referring to the OP's specific experience at the Apple Store.

It also presents a security risk for China.

----------

Yep, and some folks, that claim to value things like "freedom" and "capitalism" (especially if it had the nerve to affect their retirement checks...) will always make a fuss when those same principals make them uncomfortable.

There are PLENTY of things I don't "like" about freedom. It allows people to do a lot of things that I don't personally agree with, but I accept because freedom has a very high cost.

Free markets and Capitalism do too. When someone wins it means someone else loses, and the loser is almost universally never happy.

These ELDERLY CHINESE people are shining examples of what makes the USA GREAT. If you don't like it, there are no walls keeping you here.

And no, it's not tax evasion (provided they are properly filing tax returns reporting the income... and I'm suuuuure they are =)), and it's certainly not illegal inside a store. The store owners CAN ask them to leave, but they didn't in this case.

I said it before and I'll say it again: BRAVO ELDERLY CHINESE "SCALPERS"!

As a proud American/Capitalist/Winner, I SALUTE you.

Accept that the US is not all in capitalist like you claim. Maybe Apple should just charge $1500 per phone and then lets see how many will be scalping.

17MBPC2D

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2006
They did limit 2 per person. They did not limit how many times you could buy 2.

I upgraded and purchased all (6) iphone 6 and (2) iPhone 6 plus on 1 visit.
Who gives a **** about limits when I have 10 lines in my family plan and Apple is getting paid?

To those complaining about "scalpers"....there are ways to beat scaplers lol

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
It's a p***ified politically correct media culture now. Say the slightest thing about minorities or homosexuals and you will be labeled a discriminator and roasted alive.

I laughed when the OP kept repeating "I will not mention race, I will not mention race" like he was afraid of saying it and being labeled a racist by ignorant politically correct types.

Still blows my mind seeing that picture, how the hell did that crap even happen? Was contraception simply against the rules and it was mandatory to have more children that you can possibly take care of? :confused:

One interesting theory I had read said that because the Asia-Pac region wasn't wiped out by plagues (like Europe), their population grew. Keep in mind that according to whichever figures you read, the plague wiped out as much as 60% of 14th century Europe's population. :eek:

::O/T talk Off::

cmanbrazil

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
If a White person or several White people buy up a lot of xbox's or play stations on launch day only to resell them on Craigslist or ebay, I don't here anyone say, look at what those White people are doing. I also don't read on any forums where White people are embarrassed that other White people are doing something wrong. If they the are White, and scalpers, then people will be mad at them for being scalpers.

However, when it is the other groups engaging in scalping or other behavior viewed as incorrect, whether you directly mention their race, ethnicity, country of origin or not, the discussion evolves around not only assessing the behavior such as scalping, but generally now we are looking at the entire group they come from and making some analysis of "those" people. Why would an Asian person be embarrassed for Asian people, even if he disagrees with scalping? Are whites embarrassed when a white person walks in a mall and starts shooting everyone because the shooter is White? No, and they shouldn't be.

People, regardless of skin color, culture, ethnicity, country of origin, etc can do some pretty remarkable and some very disgusting things as well. It is the spectrum of human behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.