Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
If a White person or several White people buy up a lot of xbox's or play stations on launch day only to resell them on Craigslist or ebay, I don't here anyone say, look at what those White people are doing. I also don't read on any forums where White people are embarrassed that other White people are doing something wrong. If they the are White, and scalpers, then people will be mad at them for being scalpers.

However, when it is the other groups engaging in scalping or other behavior viewed as incorrect, whether you directly mention their race, ethnicity, country of origin or not, the discussion evolves around not only assessing the behavior such as scalping, but generally now we are looking at the entire group they come from and making some analysis of "those" people. Why would an Asian person be embarrassed for Asian people, even if he disagrees with scalping? Are whites embarrassed when a white person walks in a mall and starts shooting everyone because the shooter is White? No, and they shouldn't be.

People, regardless of skin color, culture, ethnicity, country of origin, etc can do some pretty remarkable and some very disgusting things as well. It is the spectrum of human behavior.

As of last year, 77% of this country is white. That means it is in our nature to be wary of outsiders and blame them for our ills. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
As of last year, 77% of this country is white. That means it is in our nature to be wary of outsiders and blame them for our ills. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Speak for yourself. Not all white people see non white people as "outsiders" or blame them for anything. What a load of crap generalization.

The Indians were here 1st - everyone else is an immigrant.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
It also presents a security risk for China.

----------

Accept that the US is not all in capitalist like you claim. Maybe Apple should just charge $1500 per phone and then lets see how many will be scalping.

It's not? Please explain?

Apple can price however they'd like. They could price at $1500 but they choose not to. If they would sell, they sure as heck would though.

There are laws in place to prevent abuse, and what these ELDERLY CHINESE people are doing is not in violation of any law.

You may not like it, but it's a shining example of all that is wonderful about a free market (or if you must put a qualifier on it (since you seem to want to) a "mostly all-in" capitalist society).

If you DON'T want to pay the "scalpers", DON'T. If no one does, they don't scalp. See how that works? Someone is paying the price, which means it has that value to someone, which means they are providing a service to that person in return for that price.

If no one was, they would quickly go away.

Just because it makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong. They are using the system to their advantage. If you REALLY care about it, contact your congressman and change the law.

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
It also presents a security risk for China.

----------

Accept that the US is not all in capitalist like you claim. Maybe Apple should just charge $1500 per phone and then lets see how many will be scalping.

Thank god USA is not a "total capitalist" country, take a look at Hong Kong for example.

Students not withstanding, you could drop dead on the street and everyone will just walk on by. Majority of Hong Kong residents are not protesting with the students because they are "too busy" making money and thinking about themselves. Big cities in China are probably worse, but with a strange mix of communism.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Speak for yourself. Not all white people see non white people as "outsiders" or blame them for anything. What a load of crap generalization.

The Indians were here 1st - everyone else is an immigrant.

I'm not speaking for all white people. I'm just calling a spade a spade. If that were not true, you wouldn't see dozens upon dozens of threads railing against the asian/indian/middle eastern scalpers.

Personally, I don't care. Whites are just about already a minority in Chicago, so I've been long used to seeing all kinds of people scalping or hustling. In other parts of the country, probably not so much.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
What is wrong with society? It is ok to if you say someone is "blank" race.

I saw a white guy, black guy, Asian guy, etc etc. Stating an individual's race isn't racist. America is turning into a bunch of babies.

Yeah, it really is getting ridiculous. This country is becoming so sissified. It weirds me out when people say they don't see color. Like, what is the person, non-transparent?

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Yeah, it really is getting ridiculous. This country is becoming so sissified. It weirds me out when people say they don't see color. Like, what is the person, non-transparent?

Its even worse than that, we're not supposed to see "American" either, a person who sneaks into the country illegally is supposed to be treated equally as those who have waited in line for years to get in legally.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
That's what happens when you get left "holding the bag".

Didn't go the way they thought huh?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Just got back from an Apple store in NYC, 3 different eldery folks (will not mention race, will not mention race) asked me if I wanted to buy a 6 plus for $80 over cost. The store is packed so they are not so obvious to the employees

I'm guessing they will just return the phone for cash after 14 days if no bites...

Looks like overseas demand is waning, or the risk/reward to ship overseas is not justified.

They're capitalists? ;)

I admire their spunky attitudes. If Apple sold them those phones, they have every right to sell them again.

I generally don't care for scalpers, but at least these will show their faces instead of just hitting eBay.

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
That's what happens when you get left "holding the bag".

Didn't go the way they thought huh?

This is exactly as planned, their time is worthless and have nothing better to do. Lining up for 6 hours can yield 4 phones, 4 x $50 (assuming no bites at $80) = $200 a day.

Do this for 2 weeks = $2,800 TAX FREE

so even at $25 over they make $1,400 for 2 weeks. They probably have another 2-3 weeks before supply catches up to demand

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Agreed that they have the right to resell them. However, they shouldn't be doing it in an Apple store.

If this is an issue, Apple will throw them out, no?

Should they sell them outside the Apple store? On the sidewalk? Around the corner? Where?

If the Apple store has a very long line and/or no stock of the phone that someone wants and a person is standing there with the phone in an unopened box, why should the person not buy the phone if they want to buy it?

I wouldn't buy from a scalper, but I think that until Apple tosses them out, it's completely their right to sell whatever they want.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
This is exactly as planned, their time is worthless and have nothing better to do. Lining up for 6 hours can yield 4 phones, 4 x $50 (assuming no bites at $80) = $200 a day.

Do this for 2 weeks = $2,800 TAX FREE

so even at $25 over they make $1,400 for 2 weeks. They probably have another 2-3 weeks before supply catches up to demand

Yea, but I bet they thought they'd get $3-500.00 per phone. Also, if they loose or one "shows up missing", they are screwed.

Ha!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If this is an issue, Apple will throw them out, no?

Should they sell them outside the Apple store? On the sidewalk? Around the corner? Where?

If the Apple store has a very long line and/or no stock of the phone that someone wants and a person is standing there with the phone in an unopened box, why should the person not buy the phone if they want to buy it?

I wouldn't buy from a scalper, but I think that until Apple tosses them out, it's completely their right to sell whatever they want.

I agree with you. The local electronics store can also go into the Apple Store and sell Samsung phones and media devices and tvs. Actually you can do pretty much what you want until you can't anymore.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I agree with you. The local electronics store can also go into the Apple Store and sell Samsung phones and media devices and tvs. Actually you can do pretty much what you want until you can't anymore.

Yup. Selling electronic goods is legal in the US until the proprietor of the business where you're selling them tells you to quit and/or leave.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
Im not illegal so I wouldnt know....quit being naive and politcally correct there illegal scalpers face it.

Me neither. I don't think not assuming they are illegal is naive. I think assuming someone of a certain nationality is an illegal simply for reselling iphones is ridiculous. Plenty of people buying and selling in this country - and they aren't all illegal - in fact most of them aren't.

And this country isn't enforcing it's own immigration laws. Have a problem with that? Take it up with your elected officials who are letting it happen & greeting them with big screen TVs in five star resorts most people couldn't afford with a menu catered to their demands while our poor are starving in the streets.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
These ELDERLY CHINESE people are shining examples of what makes the USA GREAT. If you don't like it, there are no walls keeping you here.

I said it before and I'll say it again: BRAVO ELDERLY CHINESE "SCALPERS"!

As a proud American/Capitalist/Winner, I SALUTE you.

What exactly did these scalpers produce that is of value to the economy? They did not add anything to make the iPhone better. They did not deliver it to an area of America where iPhones are in short supply.

Its even worse than that, we're not supposed to see "American" either, a person who sneaks into the country illegally is supposed to be treated equally as those who have waited in line for years to get in legally.

This is actually related to a touchy debate I've had with some anarchist capitalists outside of MacRumors. They believe that illegal aliens should have the right to work in America, and that business should be able to hire anyone willing to work regardless of legal status. Complete free movement of capital and labor.

Of course, they don't care when illegals use the social services and sap taxpayer dollars. Their business earned big profits and screw everyone else. The only reason most illegals come here is because people hire them. I concede that some are refugees fleeing gang violence.

And no, it's not tax evasion (provided they are properly filing tax returns reporting the income... and I'm suuuuure they are =)),

I note the sarcasm... I think we both know how much income tax is likely to be paid on scalping profits.

garycoleman2

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
When you guys say illegal immigrants and INS, the elderly Chinese women don't care because most of them are legal. It's the Mexicans who are afraid.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
If you DON'T want to pay the "scalpers", DON'T. If no one does, they don't scalp. See how that works?

I actually will agree with this. Ignoring the in-store scalpers will show them the futility of their strategy.

As iPhone 6 and 6 plus supplies rise in the next few weeks, this will all be a non-issue until next year :) patience is the ally of the consumer and the doom of the scalper.

17MBPC2D

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2006
It's not? Please explain?

Apple can price however they'd like. They could price at $1500 but they choose not to. If they would sell, they sure as heck would though.

There are laws in place to prevent abuse, and what these ELDERLY CHINESE people are doing is not in violation of any law.

You may not like it, but it's a shining example of all that is wonderful about a free market (or if you must put a qualifier on it (since you seem to want to) a "mostly all-in" capitalist society).

If you DON'T want to pay the "scalpers", DON'T. If no one does, they don't scalp. See how that works? Someone is paying the price, which means it has that value to someone, which means they are providing a service to that person in return for that price.

If no one was, they would quickly go away.

Just because it makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong. They are using the system to their advantage. If you REALLY care about it, contact your congressman and change the law.

Well said and no, I'm not a scalper...

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Me neither. I don't think not assuming they are illegal is naive. I think assuming someone of a certain nationality is an illegal simply for reselling iphones is ridiculous. Plenty of people buying and selling in this country - and they aren't all illegal - in fact most of them aren't.

And this country isn't enforcing it's own immigration laws. Have a problem with that? Take it up with your elected officials who are letting it happen & greeting them with big screen TVs in five star resorts most people couldn't afford with a menu catered to their demands while our poor are starving in the streets.

your looking to far into this bud....95% of them are illegal its a fact face it. I dont care about being politically correct thats for the tree hugging democratic hippies

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
your looking to far into this bud....95% of them are illegal its a fact face it. I dont care about being politically correct thats for the tree hugging democratic hippies

Really? Fact? Do you have ANYTHING to back that up with? Didn't think so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.