Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
Does it have lay on table design? And how is reception?

It has absolutely no degrading effects on signal. My bathroom.. for some silly reason, has terrible signal strength, and even with the Sector 5 on, my reception held constant at 2 bars LTE, throughout the rest of my home as well as when I commute, signal is also completely unaffected.

As for lay on the table... yes. With a caveat. That caveat being that if you use a Glas.t or Pure (glass screen protector) it bypasses the lay on the table capability of the case and your glass protector will be what is on the table, not the case's edge. I personally don't mind, but I just thought I'd drop that in here. I'm unsure if a normal screen protector will also exhibit this, I've had the Pure on since I had the case so I don't exactly plan on removing it just to test :p.

According to EC though, there is an ever so slight lip on the front for lay on the table but I can't personally verify that :\

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
It has absolutely no degrading effects on signal. My bathroom.. for some silly reason, has terrible signal strength, and even with the Sector 5 on, my reception held constant at 2 bars LTE, throughout the rest of my home as well as when I commute, signal is also completely unaffected.

As for lay on the table... yes. With a caveat. That caveat being that if you use a Glas.t or Pure (glass screen protector) it bypasses the lay on the table capability of the case and your glass protector will be what is on the table, not the case's edge. I personally don't mind, but I just thought I'd drop that in here. I'm unsure if a normal screen protector will also exhibit this, I've had the Pure on since I had the case so I don't exactly plan on removing it just to test :p.

According to EC though, there is an ever so slight lip on the front for lay on the table but I can't personally verify that :\

How can you not verify that if you have the Sector 5 in your hand?

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
How can you not verify that if you have the Sector 5 in your hand?

Because, in my home we only have one iPhone 5, mine. That being said, it has a Bodyguardz Pure attached. Due to that fact, I'm not going to take it off, put on a normal screen protector (like a Spigen Ultra Clear or something) just to test if with a normal screen protector if the lay on the table distance of this case is essentially wiped away or if it's held fine. I'd assume such a thin protector wouldn't interfere with the lay on the table distance, but since I can't / won't test it, I'm not going to just say yes, it works blindly then screw someone over :)

Oh and just as a note, I'm obviously talking about the front of the iPhone, not the rear. The rear has more of a lip, or it seems to, again, depth perception is thrown off since I have a Pure installed on the front...

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Because, in my home we only have one iPhone 5, mine. That being said, it has a Bodyguardz Pure attached. Due to that fact, I'm not going to take it off, put on a normal screen protector (like a Spigen Ultra Clear or something) just to test if with a normal screen protector if the lay on the table distance of this case is essentially wiped away or if it's held fine. I'd assume such a thin protector wouldn't interfere with the lay on the table distance, but since I can't / won't test it, I'm not going to just say yes, it works blindly then screw someone over :)

Oh and just as a note, I'm obviously talking about the front of the iPhone, not the rear. The rear has more of a lip, or it seems to, again, depth perception is thrown off since I have a Pure installed on the front...
Oh ok then but I meant the back lip.

BoomstickMafia

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
Gotta say I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of the cool kids who already has their Sector 5 case. :cool:

I just hope it ships on Thursday when they "start shipping".

BoomstickMafia

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
Boom. Reservations are closed.

Just saw that. Good news for those who want silver or black. They don't have to wait about 8 weeks to get the FE in. They'll be able to order theirs beginning Monday with no waiting. Interestingly enough, shipping could be delayed for those folks with Thanksgiving later in the week.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Just saw that. Good news for those who want silver or black. They don't have to wait about 8 weeks to get the FE in. They'll be able to order theirs beginning Monday with no waiting. Interestingly enough, shipping could be delayed for those folks with Thanksgiving later in the week.

Yep, it appears thats the end of the FE Gun Metal color as well.

terminus123

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Looks fantastic.
Inside protective lining.
Does Protect corners from drops.
In my case, not really purchased as a bumper or case but as en extension of design.

when u say inside protective lining....is that the case itself or the tape that comes with it?

I'm worried since the iphone 5 is aluminum and the case is also harder aluminum .....won't it scratch the phone upon hard impact or when dust/sand gets stuck in the cracks????

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Not true, I got the 29 Nov shipment invitation and all 3 colors is avail for selection.

Right you were able to sign up for one. After nov 19 when they're available for order, it looks like the FE will no longer be an option. We'll see.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

I just ordered with a ship date starting on Nov. 29. Does anyone think it will be possible to cancel and order on Nov. 19 and get it before the 29th or will preorders be filled before public orders?

ETA: Is there a difference between the FE and Standard Edition?

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I just ordered with a ship date starting on Nov. 29. Does anyone think it will be possible to cancel and order on Nov. 19 and get it before the 29th or will preorders be filled before public orders?

I'm still waiting on my 8th shipment so I doubt it. But I'm not sure why they keep selling preorders and not getting the others filled in time.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I think by now everyone knows who makes the better case! The quality, performance and loos IMO. That's why they are so successful. The drago has always been a signal killer as well as the e13ctron so the only company who has been able to make a solid case that performs is element. Plain and simple. What other company sells so many cases that you have to get on the waiting list o get one? My point exactly!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE

Please keep the discussion on-topic and following the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoomstickMafia

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
The logo right? Lol. I got the gun metal color for my black iPhone. Maybe I'm regretting not getting black :eek:

No, just says First Edition laser engraved on the inside.

And to clarify for others: (I've seen this asked a couple times)

The First Edition only comes as gun metal gray.

The Standard Edition comes in black as well as silver.

The only difference between FE and SE is the color and First Edition being laser engraved on the inside. That laser engraving and color choice of the FE will cost you an extra $5.

I'm sure most, if not all of you, will also recall that the FE originally came packaged with a carbon fiber back plate. This would have been the main difference between FE and SE, but due to the signal being compromised by the CF back plate, Element Case stopped including it in the FE package and dropped the price of the FE as a result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.