Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 15 Pro have a sharp edge between the back cover glass and the titanium frame?

• Yes

Votes: 117 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 181 60.7%

• Total voters

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
That is exactly where mine was, to the point where it actually left my skin feeling slightly irritated from the scraping (not visibly, but I could still sort of feel it there after using the phone for a while, kinda hard to explain). New one is so perfectly smooth and comfortable.
OK thanks a lot for you feedback, I will check if an exchange is possible or not, but giving the low availability of the phone (beg of November right now in my country) I guess I will stick with mine...

dms_91

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
This issue is indeed a manufacturing defect! The first iPhone 15 Pro Max I received had this issue...I since then swapped it out for a 15 Pro and it is perfection..Somoene else I know got another 15 Pro Max a few weeks after launch when stock started to trickle in at my local Apple Store, and their 15 Pro Max had smooth chassis to back glass as well...Along with that, most of the floor models of some color options on any 15 Pro models had this same issue...I also had a weird top speaker issue at the top left on some frequencies. No issues on my current 15 Pro. Just avoid the first wave of orders.

• Haha
Reactions: drew0020

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
I think it is difficult to conclude it is laugh batch only, I guess it is more like within a tolerance of assembly as some already mentioned in this thread.

I will investigate also on my side and call Apple care to check what is possible, but changing 3 times my phone in a store to have a perfect one is not an option for me haha

Moukee

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2023
I'll get a replacement Saturday or Monday, I hope I have more luck this time. Might be something that only affected the initial batches, we'll see.

Moukee

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2023
How come something that affects 35.6% of units hasn't made front-page news yet?
I highly doubt it affects 35.6% of units. Most people whose phones are fine probably don't vote in a MacRumors poll about talking about the problem.

Also, many devices having the problem will go unnoticed, as their users probably put a case on or don't notice the problem anyway.

Reactions: drew0020

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
I'll get a replacement Saturday or Monday, I hope I have more luck this time. Might be something that only affected the initial batches, we'll see.
Please give us feedback so at least we can know what the status is for you !
How come something that affects 35.6% of units hasn't made front-page news yet?
as I said it is maybe also just normal situation as we are all quite peaky people here it is not a problem for most other people and just within the fab tolerances.

itsokjanet

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
Probably bc it’s within normal tolerances. Nothing in life is perfect especially mass produced items

There can’t be a manufacturing tolerance that imposes an end user annoyance. I understand attaching this issue to a reason would make one feel better, but let’s not reinvent the definition of a tolerance.

No need to normalize this. If one is not seeking for quality in a purchase then why are you in this forum thread.

absolutkev

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2016
I went to the Apple Store again today. There was a 15 Pro in black titanium. What can I say? The back was as smooth as butter. No edges. No corners. Just as it should be. So there really are some devices that don't have any sharp edges on the back, but this was the first perfect device I've had in my hands in various stores over the last few weeks. Too bad about this poor quality control. I guess we have to accept the deviations in mass production. Anyone who has an absolutely perfect device: Better than winning the lottery.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I returned my second blue phone yesterday with no problems. The guy recognized me from picking up phone #3 a couple days prior and remembered exactly what I was there for. He just pointed at me and said “sharp edges?”

Anyway I’m finally happy with phone #3. Back corners are super smooth now and it no longer irritates my skin. Sucks that it took so many trips to two different stores though.

Last edited:

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
I returned my second blue phone yesterday with problems. The guy recognized me from picking up phone #3 a couple days prior and remembered exactly what I was there for. He just pointed at me and said “sharp edges?”

Anyway I’m finally happy with phone #3. Back corners are super smooth now and it no longer irritates my skin. Sucks that it took so many trips to two different stores though.
How did it work for you ?
Returned within the 14 days ?
How have you been able to have one so quickly ?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
How did it work for you ?
Returned within the 14 days ?
How have you been able to have one so quickly ?
Yes, just returned as normal within the 14 days. He marked item quality as the reason for the return. I was able to find new ones by checking stock online every day, then ordering for in-store pickup when they were available. Could be any time of day as well, so check throughout the day. I got one at noon, one at 8pm, one at 11pm (one of which I ended up cancelling when my closer store got one a few days later).

Reactions: Grobaouche

rydc

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Created an account just to share my experiences!
Started from 14 PM, traded in for a regular 15 pro, and had super sharp edges on the right side of the back glass. I don't use a case and am right handed, so this was a big irritant (I also wasn't sure if I wanted to upgrade back to the larger size). I ended up returning it after a week because all the floor models in the store and in Best Buy felt way better than mine. With this year, I didn't really see the point in getting another pro especially because I don't use the pro features, so I went down to a regular 15. Felt great, no sharp edges except you could feel that it was raised in some spots. I really think that it's because of the new repairability - but it shouldn't be "sharp". After almost two weeks I went back yesterday and traded in for a 15 PM because I wanted the larger size (and the 15 PM fixed all my issues with the 14 PM) -- I PRAYED the edges would be okay and they are... I can feel the edges but it's soft so I'm totally fine with it.
Also, I read a lot on here that a lot of folks' stores had really sharp edges on the floor models - I'm in DC and I'd say 90% are smooth with the ones I've touched.

TL;DR - return the sharp phone and get another one.

EDIT: Will I keep this phone or go back down to the regular 15? Ask me in ten days, lol. I think I'm on the fence still...

Last edited:

apple4522324

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
Anyone else experiencing a scratchy/sharp feeling on the back of the 15 Pro? Im specifically referring to where the back glass meets the side of the phone. The band is noticeably sharp in the hand. Its almost like the back glass is placed a centimeter too far down causing the band to be exposed. I exchanged it already and the new device has the same issue. It is more noticeable on the bottom right of the phone. Its caused me to use a case and I'm not sure if its so sharp I'm still feeling it through the case or if the case I'm using just isn't comfortable lol.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
1000000%

Just went into the Apple Store to get my replacement phone for my "display issues." check over the phone carefully and didn't really notice anything that jumped out on the parts of the phone I checked.

As soon as I held it in my right hand I felt it... Then I put the popsiocket on and it was crazy evident there was a super sharp gap catching on skin and fabric. It was easy to tell comparing my 2 week old phone.

Needless to say, I did not accept that replacement.

apple4522324

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
1000000%

Just went into the Apple Store to get my replacement phone for my "display issues." check over the phone carefully and didn't really notice anything that jumped out on the parts of the phone I checked.

As soon as I held it in my right hand I felt it... Then I put the popsiocket on and it was crazy evident there was a super sharp gap catching on skin and fabric. It was easy to tell comparing my 2 week old phone.

Needless to say, I did not accept that replacement.
Its sort of insane the amount of models that have this issue it seems. Not sure what to do as my 14th day is tomorrow. My store has inventory it appears but it seems like luck if I get another 15 pro that it'll be perfect or not.

SubZerr0

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
TL;DR if its not to sharp, life/live (sorry for my amateur english?) with it and enjoy one of the best smartphones out there ;-)

I registered here because of the M1 flickering issue but saw this thread and have the same experience like others.

I got my 15 Pro and does not updated every year or two but waited 3 years after my 12 Pro. So I was a thrill of anticipation :-D

As I got the 15 Pro NT I was instantly disappointed. Is feels so cheap in regards to the 12 Pro. After inspecting I found that

1. the Glass backside feels very different, cheap. If you brush your thumb against it is a different sound/its louder. On my 12 Pro and my business phone a 14 Pro this is not the case. I think it has do to with a new Glass material or that the glass is not glued together like before.
  2. the color (NT) was not as goldish like on Apples websites and in the hand ons. It has a noticeable yellow and gold tone in the media. But in real it is so dull and gray. Looks more like a stone surface than glass.
  3. and I feels the sharp edges on the back on first or seconds use. Top, bottom, left, right, everywhere on the back.

My summary is that the 12-13-14 Pro devices had a better haptic and build quality. But the 15 Pro is a huge improvement in every other aspect and now after some days finally I like it a lot :) You have to see all the benefits and should not concentrate to much at the negatives. After reading this thread I feels it every time but after not reading this thread and used the 15P NT some days I forgot the sharpness.
I do not love the color but like it now. I used to the new glass feeling and the form is now ok for my hands.

I will not replace it and likes now my 15 Pro!

In the past there were similar issues with the most iPhones. The 4, 4S, 5, 5S and X, XS, 11 Pro had edges which you could feel on the display side. This is more annoying than on the back bc you feel it every time using the device.
I replaced a lot of iPhones in the past regarding this and other qualify flaws. So I said to me when the display is ok, the backside it not to much important for me.
And on the other hand, other brands has the same issue or are even more worse in the hand.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Anyone else experiencing a scratchy/sharp feeling on the back of the 15 Pro? Im specifically referring to where the back glass meets the side of the phone. The band is noticeably sharp in the hand. Its almost like the back glass is placed a centimeter too far down causing the band to be exposed. I exchanged it already and the new device has the same issue. It is more noticeable on the bottom right of the phone. Its caused me to use a case and I'm not sure if its so sharp I'm still feeling it through the case or if the case I'm using just isn't comfortable lol.
I did not feel any sharpness on that area when I was putting my 15 pro max in the case as soon as I got it. This is interesting 🤔 🧐. Thanks for letting us here know 😊

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I would definitely exchange a phone that was uncomfortable to hold. As someone who does not use a case, due to it’s slightly curved edges, the 15 Pro is more comfortable to hold than my iPhone 12 and 13 mini were.

Neither my iPhone nor my wife’s iPhone 15 Pros have sharp edges between the frame and glass on the back or front. We also escaped any overheating issues, and so far haven’t suffered from image retention or burn in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.