Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 15 Pro have a sharp edge between the back cover glass and the titanium frame?

• Yes

Votes: 116 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 179 60.7%

• Total voters

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Anyone else experiencing a scratchy/sharp feeling on the back of the 15 Pro? Im specifically referring to where the back glass meets the side of the phone. The band is noticeably sharp in the hand. Its almost like the back glass is placed a centimeter too far down causing the band to be exposed. I exchanged it already and the new device has the same issue. It is more noticeable on the bottom right of the phone. Its caused me to use a case and I'm not sure if its so sharp I'm still feeling it through the case or if the case I'm using just isn't comfortable lol.
Same exact issue and I returned it twice. I’m on my third phone now and it’s finally smooth and comfortable to hold.

bantu90

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
I’ve had my 15 pro for a couple days and although the edges aren’t sharp (paper cut sharp), I can definitely feel a sort of texture change of material if I run my fingers over the edge. Is this counted as having sharp edges?

Reactions: rydc

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I’ve had my 15 pro for a couple days and although the edges aren’t sharp (paper cut sharp), I can definitely feel a sort of texture change of material if I run my fingers over the edge. Is this counted as having sharp edges?
For me it wasn’t exactly “sharp” but more like a noticeable scraping I could feel when the phone would move across my palm. If you don’t notice it, or it doesn’t bother you, I wouldn’t worry about it. But for me, I noticed right away and it’s what caused me to seek out this thread.

Reactions: rydc

bantu90

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
For me it wasn’t exactly “sharp” but more like a noticeable scraping I could feel when the phone would move across my palm. If you don’t notice it, or it doesn’t bother you, I wouldn’t worry about it. But for me, I noticed right away and it’s what caused me to seek out this thread.
Yeah now that I’ve noticed it I keep grazing my fingers over it. Scraping is a good word to use for it. Not sure I want to return this one in case I get an even worse one!

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
Yeah now that I’ve noticed it I keep grazing my fingers over it. Scraping is a good word to use for it. Not sure I want to return this one in case I get an even worse one!
Same as you guys, a slight change, scrapping feeling, but very weak, so same, not exactly sharp, but can be felt, especially when using the phone at one hand and manipulating in the palm of the hand.

I have my phone since 1 month now so an exchange is impossible, I could go through Apple Care though, but it does not seems to be so dramatic on my side. I will go to my local Apple Store this week to check it.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
That’s actually what haopened to me, lol… my second one was noticeably worse. Third time was the charm.

grey92

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2023
That’s actually what haopened to me, lol… my second one was noticeably worse. Third time was the charm.
How did you go about getting a replacement? I have AppleCare+ and am worried that if I use Express Replacement they will receive the device and deem there is no issue even though both the front and back glass feels quite scratchy. And as a result they would charge my credit card in full.

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
How did you go about getting a replacement? I have AppleCare+ and am worried that if I use Express Replacement they will receive the device and deem there is no issue even though both the front and back glass feels quite scratchy. And as a result they would charge my credit card in full.
1. If you iPhone have a defect out of the box you have 14 days from your purchase date to ask for an exchange.
This is done directly with the sales team whether on the phone or in a store.
You get a new iPhone.

2. When you have passed those 14 days you fell under the Apple Care + program. However this change a bit:
- It is not the same department
- It covers accidental damage, not cosmetic defects.
- You do not get a new iPhone, or at least It is not very clear, you get a replacement one, that is, from what I understood, a refurbished as new (maybe some people can confirm or not that ?)

BUT there is a workaround, that I heard from a guy at the Apple Care once, as I have had the exact same issue, cosmetic defect for a brand new iPhone, but saw it more than 14 days after the purchase: you can claim that there is a malfunction, like volume buttons buttons not always working, or a problem with the screen , whatever, and they will start an Apple Care + replacement.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
They weren’t technically replacements. I didn’t want to wait for that process with all of the shipping and such. So I would buy an additional phone and then return the previous one a day or two after.

I just checked the stock online multiple times a day, and ordered the new ones for in-store pickup. Then after I got everything transferred and set up, I returned the old ones to the store within the 14-day return policy. Return reason was marked as item quality or something along those lines. I had no issues with any of the pickups or returns.

Also I paid in full for the devices, so there was no carrier payment plan or anything like that to worry about. Makes things much easier when you’re not locked into stuff like that.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
I just submitted a feedback on apple online form explaining the issue, and put a link to this forum thread for them to have more images/videos and testimony.

Will keep you updated if I receive any feedback.

At the same time you can report your unhappiness here to make things eventually move : https://www.apple.com/feedback/
My Natural Titanium 15P has a sharp bottom edge (USB side) which is apparent with the Belkin Ultralight 2 screen on - fitted in store with machine by Apple guy and is itheroi=wise good. Noticed when I put on the FW case my finger catches on this bottom edge - not so with the Spine Ultralight case but then that one seems to protect it more - case or glass or phone issue here and is it worth changing for another one only 5 days old now

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
My Natural Titanium 15P has a sharp bottom edge (USB side) which is apparent with the Belkin Ultralight 2 screen on - fitted in store with machine by Apple guy and is itheroi=wise good. Noticed when I put on the FW case my finger catches on this bottom edge - not so with the Spine Ultralight case but then that one seems to protect it more - case or glass or phone issue here and is it worth changing for another one only 5 days old now

I would advice, if you can, to go to an Apple Store, show it to a Genius, check with shown model, and decide wether it is a problem for you or not and ask for a direct exchange.

Wig321

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
I have the opposite problem on a 15 pro blue. Between the titanium and the rear glass on the left edge near the camera, whatever black sealant / silicone they’ve used is sticking out slightly. I could pick the excess away but I’d still have it between the titanium and the glass. I’ll try and take a photo tomorrow.

Reactions: redbeard331

rydc

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Update on me - ended up ultimately going back to the regular 15 bc the pro is just too much money and I won’t use it. BUT the 15 I got also had the same scratchy sharp issues. I had gotten rid of the box and everything so I’d be forced to keep it and not return - scheduled a Genius Bar appt today to talk it out and see if it could be covered under apple care (it cant). They ultimately replaced with a new one and it’s “better” but I truly haven’t had this many inconsistency issues with a phone since the iPhone 4. Interestingly the technician talked to the manager and the manager specifically instructed the return NOT be sent back to corporate for manufacturing defect review. Either the store hasn’t had many complaints of this issue or it’s already known or….? Not sure what the harm in that would be anyway.

I’m really disappointed and regret getting rid of my 14 PM. Actually debated trying out the S23 since I feel like build quality would be better this year. Ugh. Stuck!

• Haha
Reactions: drew0020

wrappedcorn

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2023
I have the same issue too on both the iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max. I came from the 14 Pro Max and as of now, I am disappointed with the build quality so far. I wish I kept my 14 Pro Max.

My only option is to just forget about it, bite the bullet and stick with the 15 Pro. Or just return both and find a used 14 Pro Max or cheap iPhone for a year and wait it out. I've gone through 6 iPhone 15 Pros and 2 iPhone 15 Pro Maxes and they all have the same issue.

It's gotten to the point were Apple employees from all over the malls almost recognized me lol

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I have the same issue too on both the iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max. I came from the 14 Pro Max and as of now, I am disappointed with the build quality so far. I wish I kept my 14 Pro Max.

My only option is to just forget about it, bite the bullet and stick with the 15 Pro. Or just return both and find a used 14 Pro Max or cheap iPhone for a year and wait it out. I've gone through 6 iPhone 15 Pros and 2 iPhone 15 Pro Maxes and they all have the same issue.

It's gotten to the point were Apple employees from all over the malls almost recognized me lol
I understand some of these phones may not be perfect, but when you are concerned that Apple employees know you (and you have tried 8 - iPhone 15 Pros), maybe you need to take a step back.

Honestly, I’d slap a case on the phone and just enjoy the phone and life. I can’t imagine the time you’ve wasted trying to get a perfect phone (it doesn’t exist) I hope you can figure it out. Good luck!!

Reactions: wrappedcorn

wrappedcorn

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2023
I understand some of these phones may not be perfect, but when you are concerned that Apple employees know you (and you have tried 8 - iPhone 15 Pros), maybe you need to take a step back.

Honestly, I’d slap a case on the phone and just enjoy the phone and life. I can’t imagine the time you’ve wasted trying to get a perfect phone (it doesn’t exist) I hope you can figure it out. Good luck!!
Yeah you're right, I hate going back and forth to the Apple Store every time and watching many YouTube videos about it. It's bad enough that I spent the whole weekend thinking about it. Plus, I am actually happy with my phone nothing is wrong with it, it's just that I have extreme OCD about this annoying sharp edges lol. I am using a case so that helps me get distracted from it.

I'm just going to return the 15 Pro Max today and think about either just keeping my 15 Pro or find alternatives. My 14 day is up this coming Sunday for that.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Yeah you're right, I hate going back and forth to the Apple Store every time and watching many YouTube videos about it. It's bad enough that I spent the whole weekend thinking about it. Plus, I am actually happy with my phone nothing is wrong with it, it's just that I have extreme OCD about this annoying sharp edges lol. I am using a case so that helps me get distracted from it.

I'm just going to return the 15 Pro Max today and think about either just keeping my 15 Pro or find alternatives. My 14 day is up this coming Sunday for that.
I like when things are perfect too especially out of the box, but just think about 2-3 months from now. You forget about it and use the phone, and start waiting for the new phone haha.

Just try to enjoy it and even if you did find a perfect one - thats the one you’d drop the next day LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrappedcorn

wrappedcorn

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2023
I like when things are prerfect too especially out of the box, but just think about 2-3 months from now. You forget about it and use the phone, and start waiting for the new phone haha.

Just try to enjoy it and even if you did find a perfect one - thats the one you’d drop the next day LOL.
Yeah that's true lol. Why worry about finding the perfect one now, when in 11 months, I'll be looking forward to the next one haha!

bantu90

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
I just came back from an Apple Store and couldn’t believe how many of the pros had this! I could only find one smooth one. The majority of them were worse than my current one so don’t think I’m going to bother trying to find a perfect one

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Hello friends, I too have this issue and just discovered it today because I had to take my phone to a repair center to be looked at. I have been seeing black goo oozing out of my camera lenses for a couple weeks now, and finally, on Sunday I noticed there was moisture inside my camera lenses as they were all fogged up. I originally thought that moisture had got into the lenses due to this leakage of sealant around the edges, right?

So as soon as I had a chance on Monday I went to the local Apple Store to have it looked at and they were dismissive of the problem and very rude, it was quite an experience. Clearly the staff at this particular store weren’t well trained and didn’t understand how the phones are assembled nor how to inspect them. So yesterday I talked to Apple support and they were incredibly helpful and totally understood the issue and told me it’s likely a manufacturing defect and to take it in.

So flash forward to this morning, while the person was running some diagnostic tests on the phone, I’m looking down on the top of it and I notice that the rear glass in the upper left corner by the camera assembly looks raised up. The only reason I did so was because I remembered this thread, and never look at my phone from that angle in good lighting, and the Apple tech I talked to yesterday mentioned it was possible the leak was from somewhere other than the camera lenses. So I take a closer look and the right side corner is perfectly flush with the titanium frame, and the left side sticks out about a 1/64th of an inch, enough to catch my fingernail.

The good news is Apple is replacing my phone, I was really worried the last few days, I am thinking that this must be an issue they are aware of. So if you have this problem, do not ignore it as it seems to have compromised the seal on the back of the phone. I will try to get some pictures later today.

Moukee

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2023
Please give us feedback so at least we can know what the status is for you !

as I said it is maybe also just normal situation as we are all quite peaky people here it is not a problem for most other people and just within the fab tolerances.
So I ordered the same model from a different store that had a faster expected delivery time than Apple themselves. Apple said the replacement would take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive, but then I got a notification that the package is on its way just as I got the device from the other shop. Didn't really plan to get two at the same time, but right now I have two 15 Pro at my home. So, this is try number 3 and 4 combined.

And yeah...neither of them is perfect. Both are way better than number 2 was (both in terms of feel and the gap is visually smaller/more consistent), but meh... I don't know, maybe I'm just overthinking it at this point. I'd slap a case on it anyway, so it wouldn't directly affect me, but it bothers me. I have one more device in order, maybe I'll wait for this one and then decide.

Reactions: Grobaouche

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
So I ordered the same model from a different store that had a faster expected delivery time than Apple themselves. Apple said the replacement would take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive, but then I got a notification that the package is on its way just as I got the device from the other shop. Didn't really plan to get two at the same time, but right now I have two 15 Pro at my home. So, this is try number 3 and 4 combined.

And yeah...neither of them is perfect. Both are way better than number 2 was (both in terms of feel and the gap is visually smaller/more consistent), but meh... I don't know, maybe I'm just overthinking it at this point. I'd slap a case on it anyway, so it wouldn't directly affect me, but it bothers me. I have one more device in order, maybe I'll wait for this one and then decide.

What was your issue? I don’t have time to read the whole thread? Did Apple replace your phone?

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006

I think you are overthinking it especially if you use a case.

I’ll never understand why people waste so much time chasing something that most likely doesn’t exist. I understand the feel may not be ideal (you are using a case LOL) and you run the risk of fixing a problem and creating another - dead pixels, scratches, dust under screen, dust in camera lenses, screen uniformity issues, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.