Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I have trouble understanding how two different suppliers can make screens that are totally consistent with each other in terms of color rendition, black levels, etc. If you look at LG and Samsung TVs, they have totally different image qualities. Once isn't necessarily better than the other - just different.

apple probably compensates for it in iOS and calibrates each unit depending on the components

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
if Apple does release 2 iPads this year I see the iPad 2 being the iPad version of the 3GS.

Scenario 1: One iPad this year ( iPad 3 )
iPad 2 stays in production for $100 less, $400 for base 16GB Model with Wifi
iPad 3 with A6 and all the different form factors, GSM/CDMA maybe LTE, better cameras and Retina

Scenario 2: Two new iPads this year ( iPad 2S feb/march, iPad 3 oct/nov)
iPad 2 stays in production for $100 less, $400 for base 16GB Model with Wifi in feb/march, come oct/nov iPad 2 will be $300 for holiday season.
iPad 2S with A5 chip, retina, all form factors GSM/CDMA, and upgraded cameras, etc. starting at $500, come oct/nov price drop to $400.
iPad 3 with retina , all form factors GSM/CDMA/LTE and upgraded cameras etc. $500

I think Scenario 2 could be a strong possibility if the A6 chip is not released in the new iPad come feb/march. Apple will continue to make their profit margins, I think it is getting cheaper for Apple to get components and if Samsung made a factory in Texas to make the A5 chip, I think Apple has big plans for that chip still. Originally the A5 was described to have enough power to drive retina on the iPad, and with rumors of the Apple Television, and the education event next week in NYC I think Apple may use the A5 for awhile.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
At LEAST 65M (!)

If iPad 3 prices (alone) averaged $665 (the price halfway between $499 and $829 [low end and high end])... that's almost 44 Billion Dollars! Just for an iPad 3... that's not taking into account iPad 2's that most certainly will continue to sell -- perhaps education only. Whatever. It stands to reason that Apple could make $60B or more just on iPads only in 2012.

Wow.

As far as will it consume more power for the reason of the screen or the new chip, I am confident that Apple will do what they can to get the specs on par with iPad 2 or better. They know that if they don't, the critics will focus soley on the lesser power issue, if that was the case. Apple knows that there's a target on their back and will do what it takes to keep attacks minimal.

----------

With the resale value of apple products so strong I wil probably get one but my question is are there any iPad 4 rumors yet?
You could just Google "iPad 4" and see for yourself. Or you could look the history of iPad announcements -- Apple historically has announced in January and shipped in March. It stands to reason that we'll hear about iPad 3 in the next couple of weeks.

----------

@thekeyring: I'd prepare yourself then, because it's looking highly likely that they are going to call it the iPad 2S. You just can't make something visually identical and call it the 3. Who knows though? They could, but it would be a bit strange.
On a side note --> Darlo770, Please use the quote button so we don't have to hunt down his original post. Fortunately for me, you guys were the first couple of posters so it was close to the top. The Quote button works. @username doesn't.

Last edited:

Larrywb

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
CT
i don't think the ipad needs to be thinner than the iPad1 to begin with. I saw no advantage in the iPad2 being thinner. I'd rather have them leave the iPad as thick as the iPad1 and use the extra space for a larger battery, the possibility to put in cheaper components, make manufacturing easier, reduce the bezel, be more flexible in adding fast GPU or CPU and overall lower the price. Of course not all of the above, but a few things should be possible.
This obsession of making the iPad thinner for the sake of making it thinner comes at a price without adding much value to the customers.

I completely agree!

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
People are always so short-sighted when it comes to criticizing Apple for their technical feats. I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but every revision of every product there's someone saying 'well I think it's a waste of time being [thinner/faster/lighter/detailed] for what is clearly no reason'.

Seemingly every other tech company would agree with you, of course. Status quo all the way (at least until Apple shows us the way, right?). But ever wonder why Apple is able to make the moves that change industries? Many reasons, of course, but one has to wonder if we'd ever have seen an iPad had Apple not spent years trimming millimeter after unnecessary millimeter off their PowerBooks and iPods. If they're not buying new machines for and introducing new manufacturing processes to the manufacturers, who is?

It's called advancing the state of the art, and it's a cumulative process. I hope Apple never loses that drive.

I understand your point, but obviously there is a limit. Apple isn't just going to keep making thinner and thinner iPads until it's less than 1mm thick and slicing the hands of anyone who holds it.

It's not a status quo, it's just chasing a different goal. I agree with the poster you quoted: rather than making the device slimmer, I'd rather see Apple's miniaturisation efforts spent on packing more into the same space. Better screen, larger battery, better CPU, whatever.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It's all starting to make sense now. Sharp's IGZO failed.

did it. It was only ever a rumor that Apple was even testing this display. Perhaps they got a few to look at and rejected it right off as not something they want at this time and Sharp was never a contender for the iPad 3. That they tested it could be the 'source' of the whole 'and an even better one in the fall' as someone tossed out the idea that the IGZO is for that 'better' fall iPad.

It makes sense if you think about it. Apple doesn't wait to see the trends set by others. they don't jump to do as everyone else does. But they do pay attention. They send folks to CES etc, they get samples of tons of upcoming tech, sometimes before the companies have really announced it (and then if they like it they do massive orders that mean that they will have 90% and over of the item for their product for the next 2-3 years). Heck perhaps Apple knew from day one that they would be using the same displays through at least the iPad 3 and these test models of the IGZO display are and were always about iPad 2013.

----------

This obsession of making the iPad thinner for the sake of making it thinner comes at a price without adding much value to the customers.

While I will agree with you for the iPad 3 and beyond, the change for the iPad 2 was actually a very good thing. I have used both extensively and the iPad 1 was a terribly clumsy shape for handling. The iPad 2 fits smoother in the hand in a stable fashion which is very important if you are using it for business, teaching etc as you will be pointing etc with the other hand and won't have it for stabilizing. Those hand strap under the bottom cases are not comfortable at all, especially if you have shorter arms.

I will say that I am not bothered by this talk that the iPad 3 might perhaps be 1-2 MM thicker if that is what it takes for better spec inside (better cameras, battery, hopefully brightness for outdoor use). But I am hoping the general shape stays the same.

----------

With the resale value of apple products so strong I wil probably get one but my question is are there any iPad 4 rumors yet?

Yep. Same rumor that came out when the iPad 2 rumors started in the Fall 2010. There will be a baby upgrade to the iPad 2 in Spring 2012 and then a big huge pro model in the Fall. no one has a clue what that means spec wise though

it was false in 2011 and is likely false in 2012 given that it's coming from the same questionable source

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm on the side of not really caring if it's 1mm thicker to accomodate a larger battery.

yes but there are now rumors of batteries that are just as powerful at half the thickness of current. And if you have more efficient hardware and software drawing on that battery you might not need to go thicker if you can squeeze more in the current size.

KoolKid

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Uppsala
Have Apple EVER released two iPhones in the same year?
Have they EVER released two iPads in the same year?
The answer is NO! It will never happen. Be realistic guys.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have trouble understanding how two different suppliers can make screens that are totally consistent with each other in terms of color rendition, black levels, etc.

You can ask that question within a company as well. Apparently Apple pulled using LG as a secondary supplier for the iPad 2 because something like half of their screens had a noticeable color issue. too pink, too yellow etc. The ones that came out correct were great but the ones with issues were serious issues.

This display issue and pulling supplies was part of why there were the iPad 2 demand v supply issues for an extended period. And that is why folks are biting on the whole 'production is already underway' stuff. They figure that Apple will be stock piling already even if the release isn't until March to meet demand. Personally I don't think they are really going too overboard on that front but I do suspect they upped the QA on the displays coming from LG if the rumors about them getting a second chance are true

----------

iPad 2 stays in production for $100 less, $400 for base 16GB Model with Wifi in feb/march, come oct/nov iPad 2 will be $300 for holiday season.
iPad 2S with A5 chip, retina, all form factors GSM/CDMA, and upgraded cameras, etc. starting at $500, come oct/nov price drop to $400.
iPad 3 with retina , all form factors GSM/CDMA/LTE and upgraded cameras etc. $500

Not Apple style. They might keep the iPad 2 16 GB wifi as a lower point item, or move it to an 8GB model. Perhaps only for businesses and schools for either version (like they did with the macbook this year). But two new iPad models in one year isn't how they work the game. Well not with the two being hardware. They will have a 'new' one in the Fall with the iOS 6 software and that's likely all.

If the A6 isn't in the iPad then that will come in 2013. same if there isn't a retina display etc. On the display front you need a content reason to have such a display and there's no content in place. If Apple were to announce in the next couple of weeks that they have new deals to add 1080p to the iTunes store for the Apple TV then we start to get a reason for a better screen on the iPad, retina or something else. Otherwise the logic of crisper text and images when zooming in which was the core point of a retina on the iPhone falls on the iPad because its already bigger and crisper text and doesn't need the same level of fine tuning. Especially when there are issues like brightness for outdoor use, better sensitivity in the touchscreen for drawing etc that could come first.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003

----------

Not Apple style. They might keep the iPad 2 16 GB wifi as a lower point item, or move it to an 8GB model. Perhaps only for businesses and schools for either version (like they did with the macbook this year). But two new iPad models in one year isn't how they work the game. Well not with the two being hardware. They will have a 'new' one in the Fall with the iOS 6 software and that's likely all.

If the A6 isn't in the iPad then that will come in 2013. same if there isn't a retina display etc. On the display front you need a content reason to have such a display and there's no content in place. If Apple were to announce in the next couple of weeks that they have new deals to add 1080p to the iTunes store for the Apple TV then we start to get a reason for a better screen on the iPad, retina or something else. Otherwise the logic of crisper text and images when zooming in which was the core point of a retina on the iPhone falls on the iPad because its already bigger and crisper text and doesn't need the same level of fine tuning. Especially when there are issues like brightness for outdoor use, better sensitivity in the touchscreen for drawing etc that could come first.

I agree that it is not Apple style to release two iPads in 1 year, but this could be a different year. 3rd Party competition this year could force Apple to release a quad core tablet this year if the next iPad does not have the A6. Also 3rd Party competition could force Apple to release an LTE version of the iPad if the next iPad does not have this freature. If Apple can release the next iPad with the A6 and the latest GOBI LTE chip from Qualcomm then there will be only 1 iPad this year. If Apple releases the next iPad with only Retina and camera upgrades, I see a slight chance for two iPads in 2012. It would shock me if Apple does not have the A6 in the next iPad, Apple seems to test the SoC in the iPad before releasing it in the iPhone. If the next iPad does not have the A6, I would assume that we would be seeing the A6 first in the iPhone this time around.

As for your display comments, the retina will benefit, medical and air flight mapping software. So I disagree, and believe there is a market for a Retina on the iPad. It will open the iPad to more business/professional markets.

Last edited:

mutantteenager

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006

Blame Apple for making such a big deal about it in the first place. They also shoot themselves in the foot as they are constrained to make it the same thickness or thinner in order to sustain that 'magical' facet.

----------

So hopefully we can see that IPS+ stuff with retina used in it to create the best display in the world.

...made by Samsung.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Have Apple EVER released two iPhones in the same year?
Have they EVER released two iPads in the same year?
The answer is NO! It will never happen. Be realistic guys.

I love it when someone gives me an excuse to repost this... :D

"Apple would never kill off Classic completely."

"Apple will never open brick-and-mortar stores. It would be a disaster."

"Apple will never make the eMac available to non-educational buyers."

"Apple would never get into the music business. They can't legally do it."

"Apple would never offer iPods for Windows users."

"Apple would never discontinue the iPod Mini. It's way too popular."

"Apple would never create their own browser. They need Internet Explorer on the Mac."

"Apple would never offer iTunes for Windows."

"Apple will never make a video iPod. The screen is too small."

"Apple would never create a 24" iMac. It would be too top-heavy."

"Apple would never create their own office suite. It would make Microsoft angry."

"Apple would never offer a headless Mac."

"Apple will never merge TV with a Mac."

"Apple would never switch to Intel chips."

"Apple will never get into the cell phone market. It's way too competitive."

"Apple will never create another handheld platform. The Newton was a disaster."

"Apple will never let people run Windows on a Mac."

"Apple will never make Safari for Windows."

"Apple will never let developers into the iPhone. It's a security problem."

"Apple would never call something the Macbook Air. That's horrible sounding."

"Apple will never release a 3G iPhone. It's too power-hungry."

"Apple would never call their tablet an 'iPad'."

----------

Oh, the irony! Apple are competing against them but samsung make their components!

Oh, the irony! Samsung is competing against them but Apple does all their design and R&D! :D

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Sharp in for iPad 3 screens in October?

Apple has invested a lot of time and money in Sharp and their IGZO technology. And Sharp is reputedly developing an advanced, lower-cost OLED manufacturing technology that could be used in next year's iDevices. So while it's possible that Sharp can't get high enough yields for a March iPad 3 debut, they might very well be able to get there by this fall.

Maybe that's the inspiration for that wacky "iPad 4 in October" rumor. Apple might simply add Sharp screens to the component supply later in the year.

----------

I love it when someone gives me an excuse to repost this... :D

"Apple would never kill off Classic completely."

"Apple will never open brick-and-mortar stores. It would be a disaster."

"Apple will never make the eMac available to non-educational buyers."

[...]

And the new one is, of course:

"Apple will never release a television set."

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Apple has invested a lot of time and money in Sharp and their IGZO technology. And Sharp is reputedly developing an advanced, lower-cost OLED manufacturing technology that could be used in next year's iDevices. So while it's possible that Sharp can't get high enough yields for a March iPad 3 debut, they might very well be able to get there by this fall.

Maybe that's the inspiration for that wacky "iPad 4 in October" rumor. Apple might simply add Sharp screens to the component supply later in the year.

----------

And the new one is, of course:

"Apple will never release a television set."

Ah yes, hadn't caught that one. I'll add it to my ever-growing list.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Sharp really lost out on this one. Though this doesn't discount their involvement later.

----------

Oh, the irony! Apple are competing against them but samsung make their components!

Suppliers can be switched.

The industry's R&D dept. in Cupertino, however, can't.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Sharp really lost out on this one. Though this doesn't discount their involvement later.

----------

That must be nice to be able to see Jony Ive's design lab every day. Just got to that part in the SJ book (of course in iBooks).

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wonder what this means for Apple's supposed billion dollar investment in Sharp's display technology?

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Samsung must truly love being the world's biggest and best mobile device maker. So let's recap:

- Best Android Devices - Samsung GSII and Galaxy Tabs
- Best Windows Phone Devices - Samsung Focus S
- Best IOS Devices - Samsung Ipad 2 and Samsung Iphone

Quite the achievement Samsung. Bravo!!! Dominating the mobile world like the True OEM that you are.

Just love how so many here hate Samsung, and even in the face of the FACTS, they still insist Samsung don't innovate and are so easy to replace. If that were the case, your loving idevice would already would be absent of the Samsung name inside.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
if Apple does release 2 iPads this year I see the iPad 2 being the iPad version of the 3GS.

Scenario 1: One iPad this year ( iPad 3 )
iPad 2 stays in production for $100 less, $400 for base 16GB Model with Wifi
iPad 3 with A6 and all the different form factors, GSM/CDMA maybe LTE, better cameras and Retina

This is most likely.

I think Scenario 2 could be a strong possibility if the A6 chip is not released in the new iPad come feb/march. Apple will continue to make their profit margins, I think it is getting cheaper for Apple to get components and if Samsung made a factory in Texas to make the A5 chip, I think Apple has big plans for that chip still. Originally the A5 was described to have enough power to drive retina on the iPad, and with rumors of the Apple Television, and the education event next week in NYC I think Apple may use the A5 for awhile.

No reason to believe apple would release two iOS devices of the same type in one year. They are increasing their R&D and marketing effort for no clear marketing return.

They would also never name it iPad 2S if it still had the A5. The S has always stood for "speed" meaning a faster processor.

There's also no reason to believe they wont have some A6 ready. 32 and 28nm processes are ready to go, and apple loves more efficient parts.

Amarth

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011

----------

You mean Apple's "R&D department", clearly not the industrie's.

R&D spending 2011:

Apple 2.4 bln
Microsoft 8.7 bln
Samsung 9.3 bln

To name a few. Once you combine the numbers of all the other players like Intel, NVIDIA, AMD, HP, Dell etc., Apple basically has no R&D.

2.4 bln is a joke in context of revenue/profit, not only compared to other tech companies. As other's have stated: Apple only assembles hardware components, benefiting from technologies others have researched and developed. My guess is that Apple's "R&D" budget is limited to design. They should triple their R&D budget and spend it on OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.