Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
@thekeyring: I'd prepare yourself then, because it's looking highly likely that they are going to call it the iPad 2S. You just can't make something visually identical and call it the 3. Who knows though? They could, but it would be a bit strange.

iPod touch 2G
iPod touch 3G

????

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
You mean Apple's "R&D department", clearly not the industrie's.

R&D spending 2011:

Apple 2.4 bln
Microsoft 8.7 bln
Samsung 9.3 bln

To name a few. Once you combine the numbers of all the other players like Intel, NVIDIA, AMD, HP, Dell etc., Apple basically has no R&D.

2.4 bln is a joke in context of revenue/profit, not only compared to other tech companies. As other's have stated: Apple only assembles hardware components, benefiting from technologies others have researched and developed. My guess is that Apple's "R&D" budget is limited to design. They should triple their R&D budget and spend it on OS X.

Implying that $$ = well used $.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
You mean Apple's "R&D department", clearly not the industrie's.

R&D spending 2011:

Apple 2.4 bln
Microsoft 8.7 bln
Samsung 9.3 bln

To name a few. Once you combine the numbers of all the other players like Intel, NVIDIA, AMD, HP, Dell etc., Apple basically has no R&D.

2.4 bln is a joke in context of revenue/profit, not only compared to other tech companies. As other's have stated: Apple only assembles hardware components, benefiting from technologies others have researched and developed. My guess is that Apple's "R&D" budget is limited to design. They should triple their R&D budget and spend it on OS X.

Apple is a bit different. They tend to have a laser focus on a few categories of products and when they introduce a new product, it rarely falters. Other companies try and probe new market segments and consumer interest whereas apple just makes the market segment. On top of that, they make acquisitions to get technologies they wished they had developed, absorbing their R&D and depriving their competitors in one fell swoop.

Amarth

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Apple is a bit different. They tend to have a laser focus on a few categories of products and when they introduce a new product, it rarely falters. Other companies try and probe new market segments and consumer interest whereas apple just makes the market segment. On top of that, they make acquisitions to get technologies they wished they had developed, absorbing their R&D and depriving their competitors in one fell swoop.

I agree 100% with Apple being focused and good at what they do. At least lately. In regards to creating segmets: I see a mixed balance sheet.

Apple often leads the way, typically with iOS based devices (iPhone &iPad as well as iTunes)

Sometimes it is falling behind: desktops, notebooks, OS X. I am not comparing to some PC crap at Office Depot, but to windows based mid (beats mac's in price) - or high end stuff (beats mac's in spec's, functionality, design). Slow hardware refresh cycles I guess. EDIT: before fanboy's start screaming, I know mac sales are up. Doesn't change the fact that they are not up to speed.

Sometimes, Apples fails: Apple TV, Gaming consoles (remember Pippin?)

Overall, I think a new market segment is the climax of a long process that had many contibutors. Take iTunes: there was music; there was the internet; there was digital audio and online stores. Apple took all existing elements and combined them. It was more the evolution of already exciting concepts than a revolution.

Cheers

Last edited:

Cheebo

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
They should triple their R&D budget and spend it on OS X.

Why in the world would they spend BILLIONS on OS X R&D? That would be a gigantic waste of their resources. It is obvious OS X is increasingly becoming less and less of a focus at Apple and its unavoidable that iOS will become the lead OS on all of it's products, laptops and desktops included by 2016 or so.

Why waste so much money on a element of the company that likely won't be there in the long term?

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Have Apple EVER released two iPhones in the same year?
Have they EVER released two iPads in the same year?
The answer is NO! It will never happen. Be realistic guys.

"Never....hum that word is too long even for me" (c) by Treebeard ;-)

Cheebo

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
It'd be a mistake to break the 1 a year upgrade for the iPhone/iPad platform. There wouldn't be the huge event feel to the new release and launch day excitement with people with last years model updating on day one. There are a lot of sales likely from those who get caught up in the launch fervor who'd if there was multiple releases a year without as much build-up and hype would stick with their older version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.