Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Either the leaks are dead on and we have pretty much seen the phone, or IT'S all A TRAP and the new phone will not be the long guy we have been seeing.

Just like last year, where all the leaks pointed to "iPhone 4S" but people still held hope of "iPhone 5" through some more obscure rumors. ;)

The iPhone 4SL is most likely what we'll be getting. The new "iPhone" is not going to be a radical departure, Apple likes doing things in increments.

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
this will be the features

- Unibody Design (New Design)
- 4G LTE World Phone
- 4 inch 16:9 Retina Display (Bigger Screen)
- Apple A6 Quad Core (Faster Processor)
- 12 MP Camera (Slow Motion 60 fps)
- 2 MP Front Camera (FaceTime HD)
- Bigger Battery (Longer Talk Time)
- MagPort / MagSafe (Data & Power)
- AirDrop
- NFC
- 802.11n (5Ghz)
- 1GB DRAM
- 16, 32 & 64 GB Storage

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
New controlled leaks allowed by Tim?

What better way to prevent sales of your competitors devices than to say "just wait a bit longer, our new devices are almost ready". Free marketing.

exactly. These aren't leaks

Sharp's President gave information that would not violate the contract between Apple and Sharp.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Since getting the S3 I can't imagine using a small screen again.

4 is an improvement. will have to see though.

What phone did you go from using? I Have the 4s, and am strongly considering getting an s3, despite having an all apple ecosystem.

tdblanchard

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
I know this guy over at Sharp...

...he owes me a favor. I can get him to make this announcement that'll create some serious buzz.
Then we can go ahead as planned and let them all think they've got the inside scoop :D

c'mon guys, really?

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009

- 4G LTE World Phone
- AirDrop
- NFC
- 802.11n (5Ghz)
- 1GB DRAM
- 16, 32 & 64 GB Storage

I think these are fairly reasonable. That said, I don't think we'll see an A6 - I agree we're likely to see a shrunk down A5X, which will be a monster for a phone. I also suspect the front camera will remain VGA.

Other than those, the above seems likely to me.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Just tell when to preorder ...

So what time will this happen? Sept 13th at midnight or right after the media event?

richardw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011

- 4G LTE World Phone
- AirDrop
- NFC
- 802.11n (5Ghz)
- 1GB DRAM
- 16, 32 & 64 GB Storage

Hoping we might see a 128GB version.

Edit: But we probably won't seeing as the iPad 3 only comes in up to 64GB.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Didn't Tim Cook claim they are doubling down on secrecy.

Do you really think the Sharp president would be touting around confidential information without Tim Cook allowing him to do so? C'mon. He is not some worker at Foxconn.

As somebody said earlier, this is free marketing. Be happy.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

- 4G LTE World Phone
- AirDrop
- NFC
- 802.11n (5Ghz)
- 1GB DRAM
- 16, 32 & 64 GB Storage

Where do you get your information? You MUST know something we don't!!!

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
What phone did you go from using? I Have the 4s, and am strongly considering getting an s3, despite having an all apple ecosystem.

I came from the 4S.

I have an all apple ecosystem as well. Very happy with this phone.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Apple is allowing these leaks so people can think twice about getting a s3. I'm not convinced that apple has nothing to do with these leaks.

Im hoping the 4 inch screen is true. Since getting my s2 whenever I look at my mom's iPhone the screen looks so small to me.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
A few things:

1) Sharp just announced thousands of job cuts. The CEO is probably doing this to bolster investor confidence.
2) I can't find a transcript of the call, but I'm wondering if something got mistranslated. Perhaps he said some displays, but not specifically the new iPhone (think iPad mini). They didn't actually quote that part.
3) August ship is way too late for a phone that will ship 3-5 million for launch in September, which makes me think it's the iPad mini. They could have already been shipping one for the iphone independently perhaps, but either his date is wrong or the September 21st date is wrong.

edit: also

Sharp is considering its first major layoffs that a source familiar with the matter told Reuters could be as many as 5,000 people.

The company in March also agreed to sell a 46.48 stake in its Sakai LCD plant to Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision Industries, part of the Foxconn Group, in a bid to isolate itself from the losses at the facility in western Japan.

Hon Hai, a major supplier to Apple Inc, is purchasing new shares in Sharp worth 66.9 billion yen, giving it an 11 percent stake in Japan's last major fabricator of LCD panels for TVs. ($1 = 78.2400 Japanese yen)

All the signs definitely point to them becoming some sort of supplier for apple for sure.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

- 4G LTE World Phone
- AirDrop
- NFC
- 802.11n (5Ghz)
- 1GB DRAM
- 16, 32 & 64 GB Storage

I think these are fairly reasonable. That said, I don't think we'll see an A6 - I agree we're likely to see a shrunk down A5X, which will be a monster for a phone. I also suspect the front camera will remain VGA.

Other than those, the above seems likely to me.

Yeah, that's been "the list" I've been responding with too, maybe not some of the specifics (like I imagine improved cameras ... but no idea about the MP).

The CPU consideration is interesting. Like I posted a page or so back, Apple isn't as concerned about pursuing the CPU-of-the-month, but I also don't know if they're happy without some performance increase. The A5X is basically a A5 with a greatly enhanced GPU, and while this phone will likely have more pixels and seem _some_ GPU enhancement, it's not like the jump from the iPad>iPad Retina requirements.

That being said, it's not like this next phone is going to introduce any use model that's highly CPU intensive anyway, and the GPU boost is great for gaming, which is obviously a big market.

I don't follow the CPU development channel closely enough to know the status of the next A-series (availability, size, power reqs, etc.)

I think the big thing is going to be NFC+Passbook. Apple is always big on introducing new hardware with incremental improvements to all the major features, then combining that with new features of the OS, and a few new major apps that capitalize on the hardware+OS (i.e., it's not about dual/quad/octo unless there's a specific perk to the usage model/user experience).

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Oh dear, all these rumours are pointing to the next phone being the 4SL, a real shame, and a big mistake by Apple I think. A bigger deviation from the 4 and 4S would have been nice.

Why do so many want Apple to deviate from near perfection? We don't need our products totally changed every year. We need multiple minor changes to continually make them better and better.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
New controlled leaks allowed by Tim?

What better way to prevent sales of your competitors devices than to say "just wait a bit longer, our new devices are almost ready". Free marketing.

That's what I was thinking.

They didn't need a leak like this to prevent sales to competitors. Anyone reading tech articles, blogs or forums already knew that the next iPhone was coming soon.

And anyway who didn't wouldn't be reading this leak either.

In other words - this "leak" has little to no affect on whether or not sales will be prevented from competitors.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
You're not getting a new SoC. If anything, it's going to be the A5X.

They would be dumb to put the A5X in it. Way too big, too hot and too much power usage. They could use the 32nm A5 from the refreshed iPad 2, but a completely new code number has shown up in log dumps from iOS betas several months ago. It's possible we could be seeing the next chip in the iPad, but I'm betting we see some new silicon for the SoC on the next iPhone.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/2...simultaneous-development-on-a5x-and-a6-chips/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.