Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
So available in December really meant available to ORDER in December. Weird.
If you were able to order one the millisecond it went on sale, yes.

Imagine the amount of people that have been waiting for a significant upgrade to the Mac Pro.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
To be fair to Apple this is incorrect.

Official keynote approx 59:30 you see a slide very clearly say 'later this year' same as Phil says

I'm very interested in being fair to Apple; I've been accused of being a fanboy, and the attribute is quite correct.

In the teaser video, released after WWDC and shown in movie theaters nationwide, the last screen says "Fall, 2013."

I, for one, construe "Fall" to be that season ending on or about December 21, which only proves my point: Apple managed to sneak this launch in under the wire, but barely. I'm not sure why they went to all the effort when they might have just as easily given themselves more breathing room.

kylepro88

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Nashville
Anybody who ordered one last night when the site went live could've gotten theirs by early January. If you were looking to get one but didn't order till you got up in the morning or had planned to do it in a week….you should've known better. I don't plan on buying one (especially right now) but if I was going to, I would've when it went live at like 2:40am last night. Lots of people did, and they'll have theirs early. I bet you they got an insane number of orders in the last number of hours. It doesn't surprise me at all they'd get backlogged.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Is it because American workers aren't prepared to put in the long hours for low wages, compared to their Asian counterparts?

Or is it just that they lack the small, nimble fingers required for precision assembly of high-tech electronics?

Its because the Mac Pro manufacturing process is 90% robotic, and the robots are at capacity. Adding more humans doesn't speed anything up.

Last edited by a moderator:

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Its because the Mac Pro manufacturing process is 90% robotic, and the robots are at capacity. Adding more humans doesn't speed anything up.
Seems like the logical conclusion, then, would be to buy more robots. It's not like they're short on cash or anything.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
More American jobs on the way?

No. Apple likely knows how many MPs they will sell in an average month and has sized the factory and staffed it for that. The first two or three months are exceptional months. It would not be smart to build and staff the factory based on these first exceptional months because then there would be some mass lay-offs when the sales rates became more normal.

But I bet they do find a way to ramp up production a little.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
That's what happens when you have form over function!
Yeah, because if they had kept the old cheese grater box, Intel would somehow miraculously started shipping the new Xeon CPUs in volume... I expect better from Macrumors posters

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
No, I'm choking - $3999 in Australia!

let's not hear people complain about cost. What did it cost you to shoot 100 hours of video? A LOT more then $4k id' bet. So the cost of the computer is small compared to the cost of just the first batch of data you are going to load into it.

Also what do you pay the parson who sits in from of the computer over the projected three year lifetime of the computer? I assume this person is payed more then $4K over that period. So the cost of the computer is trivial compared to other costs of video production.

How much more did you pay for the camera and audio gear, $4K is small, I bet compared to that.

Now if you are thinking of using this machine for you game playing hobby, yes it is a waste of money that is hard to justify. But this is a video editing machine.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Looks like my 2+ year wait is for nothing. Leaning towards a new iMac instead. Cost is not the issue. Timing is. I need the tax break this year to lower my tax bracket.

If you're talking about US taxes you should double-check your ideas about tax-brackets with an expert.

Last edited by a moderator:

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
So available in December really meant available to ORDER in December. Weird.

Well, to be fair they did have the base models shipping on the 31st. (Maybe it was the 30th).

Either way, when Apple says a month something is coming out in, typically it means end of month. They are trying to ramp up production on a brand new model in a brand new factory. It will take some time.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I predict they are going to sell an insane number of these machines; a lot of them to buyers who don't really need them. It will be the fashion accessory for the glitterati. I bet the folks who show up on Entertainment Tonight and the pages of People mag will all show up in pictures with the new Mac Pro. Then the glitterati wannabes and just folks who can afford them and want the next fashion craze will follow.

This takes nothing from the machine itself; it's a very capable unit (I ordered mine this AM). I just think that it will sell as many on its looks as on its utility.

As far as the price; despite the moaning and groaning about it on this forum, I think there are a lot of people for whom three or four thousand dollars is just peanuts. True, for many it's a lot, but for many it just isn't.

It will be interesting to see what happens!

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

These American robots sound lazy and complacent. Are they unionised? I bet a Chinese robot would work twice as fast for 25% of the cost.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That's what happens when you have form over function!

But rest easy new Mac Pro owners, all your external components that you now need, to have any kind of real storage, will ship immediately. :D

-Kevin

Just curious how you know what's causing the delay.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
I think most of us could have anticipated this from the timeframe thus far:

Announced at WWDC with availability "this fall."

Posters and printed material to selected journalists at the end of October.

Orders accepted December 19, with initial shipments by the end of 2013.

Orders past the initial rush with a delivery timeframe of February.

Clearly, this product was nowhere near ready for a fall launch when it was showcased at WWDC. I would have had more respect for the integrity of the launch if a separate hardware event had trumpeted the availability (of more than a few units) in early 2014.

I accept that this is a difficult product to mass-produce, especially in the rarified working climate of the United States. Still, could the rollout not have been handled better than this?

Out of curiosity, what is the big deal?

So it took longer than they thought. So what?

Anyone who builds things knows this. Anyone who builds things has experienced this.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
February? This is a joke right? Another 2 months to wait. Might just give up and buy something else instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.