Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Demand outstripped supply. We don't know how small the supply was.

I suspect there was a lot of pent up demand for this. Its normally a low volume product but a lot of people have been waiting a long time for it so its hardly surprising that 2 months supply has already been snapped up.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I suspect there was a lot of pent up demand for this. Its normally a low volume product but a lot of people have been waiting a long time for it so its hardly surprising that 2 months supply has already been snapped up.

People want what they can't have. The 3 year wait did it...
Unfortunately it's not worth the wait...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is it because American workers aren't prepared to put in the long hours for low wages, compared to their Asian counterparts?

Or is it just that they lack the small, nimble fingers required for precision assembly of high-tech electronics?

It's probably a combination of factors. I believe this is a brand new facility. There is plenty of manufacturing in Texas. After all, Samsung makes some of the Apple chipsets at a plant there. However, it takes time to ramp up, and they probably released the product before the production line was up to speed because they had already publicly promised a new Mac Pro by the end of 2013.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
But.... but.... no one will buy these things said the PC fanboys. How can this be?

After talking to a few colleagues and friends that are typically anti-Apple, they all would say something along the lines of, "Well I can just grab a 4770k and GTx 780 for some much less!"

I would then just facepalm.

esquared

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
Waiting

No need to give Apple my money now for a Feb/March delivery, I'll wait. I've been waiting for 3 years, 3 mos. ain't no thang. This was a December launch in name only.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
As if this was not going to happen anyway. What is a few more months when people have be waiting for years? (I guess)

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Is it because American workers aren't prepared to put in the long hours for low wages, compared to their Asian counterparts?

Or is it just that they lack the small, nimble fingers required for precision assembly of high-tech electronics?

It's mainly because of TB2 as Intel said that the massive production will start in 2014 and the supply at the end of 2013 will be very limited. On top of that, Apple started the manufacturing in USA and they didn't pick a product that has some life already but they started with a completely new design etc. of course that will come with some complications. And Intel has meant to have some delays too otherwise we would see the launch 2 months ago.

I don't think its issue of long hours as I don't think that the demand is so massive that a factory that size wouldn't be able to cope with "normal" hours. I think the main issues are related to supplies of other component + some initial hiccups

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Just hours after Apple began taking orders for the new Mac Pro with shipping estimates of "by December 30" for stock configurations, availability has already slipped significantly with new orders currently being quoted shipping in February.

The rapid move to push shipping off by over a month indicates that Apple has indeed been struggling to have any Mac Pro units at all ready to ship in order to meet its previously announced launch timeframe. Reports had indicated that Intel's chips are in short supply and may have been one of the major bottlenecks for Mac Pro production, but with an all-new design, high-end technology throughout, and Apple shifting assembly to the United States, there are any number of areas where Apple may be experiencing production constraints.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for Mac Pro Online Orders Slip to February 2014

same happened when the redesigned iMac arrived

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
That's only your opinion. In mine this is the best computing money I've ever spent. See how that works? :D

I completely agree. As a long time mac pro owner whose gone through adding various pcie cards (esata, usb3, gpu, etc) and has suffered through the kernel panics, unsupported hardware, flakey drivers, etc… This new machine is very much welcome and I have no doubt it will be worth the massive amount of money spent on it.

I don't understand why people keep getting all hung up on the storage. Working with prores and raw video most of my storage is currently external as is (esata.. when its not flaking out). Internally, I have a ssd for boot, an ssd for multi-cam processing and about 1.5tb for my home directory… I also welcome the thunderbolt ports and the pegasus2 I ordered along with it.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I think most of us could have anticipated this from the timeframe thus far:

Announced at WWDC with availability "this fall."

Posters and printed material to selected journalists at the end of October.

Orders accepted December 19, with initial shipments by the end of 2013.

Orders past the initial rush with a delivery timeframe of February.

Clearly, this product was nowhere near ready for a fall launch when it was showcased at WWDC. I would have had more respect for the integrity of the launch if a separate hardware event had trumpeted the availability (of more than a few units) in early 2014.

I accept that this is a difficult product to mass-produce, especially in the rarified working climate of the United States. Still, could the rollout not have been handled better than this?

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
I don't understand why people keep getting all hung up on the storage. Working with prores and raw video most of my storage is currently external as is (esata.. when its not flaking out). Internally, I have a ssd for boot, an ssd for multi-cam processing and about 1.5tb for my home directory… I also welcome the thunderbolt ports and the pegasus2 I ordered along with it.

Exactly. Even when I was working with a lot of Linux boxes, the boot/system drive was the smallest one I had lying around and everything else went onto the work/data drives. My current Mac has a 500GB system/apps drive, and I could probably get by on 256GB but to be safe I spec'd mine up to the 512GB. I have terabytes of external storage in USB3 enclosures and that's where all my work and storage goes. This new MP will slide into my workbench with hardly a ripple--except for the massive speed-ups for my work.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
It's a relief that it won't be available for 2 months...
I am seriously doubting this machine is worth the upgrade from my 12-core...
My geek bench tests show around 23000. The new 6-core is barely faster than a top iMac. It's a joke.
The numbers don't add up. To match the performance of my old Mac Pro I need to spend $8000 tax included.
I can probably get $3500 or so for all the stuff I already have on eBay but I still have to shell out $4500 more for just a little bit more performance and no way to expand internally.
Doesn't seem like the right move.
After you start adding peripherals and the monitor and stuff, you will end up with a disgusting web of cables on your desk.
I have 6 HD's incide My Mac and without any cables or power supplies.
I'm glad it sold out. I won't be getting one any time soon...

Yeah, but now you'd have a cylindrical-shaped computer which would be quite a nice conversational piece of kit. That's progress for ya.

About that disgusting web of cables you mention, don't Lightning peripherals daisy-chain? You wouldn't necessarily need a whole bunch of extra cables running from one device.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
More American jobs on the way?

No. If anything more robots. But I doubt this ramp up has the factory running at full capacity, esp. for an all-new product. Typically production lines are slower at start up to give everyone time to learn the routines & make adjustments.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
How much did you pay for yours originally?

My geek bench tests show around 23000. The new 6-core is barely faster than a top iMac. It's a joke.
The numbers don't add up. To match the performance of my old Mac Pro I need to spend $8000 tax included.
I can probably get $3500 or so for all the stuff I already have on eBay but I still have to shell out $4500 more for just a little bit more performance and no way to expand internally.
After you start adding peripherals and the monitor and stuff, you will end up with a disgusting web of cables on your desk.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
That's a disgusting post, and I would downvote it if I could

I was just going to say the same. It's not accurate or okay to make broad generalizations about entire countries or ethnicities, even if you consider yourself a member of that group. Americans are all like this, Asian people are all like that, etc. There seems to be more of this type of post on MacRumors these days. Hopefully in some cases at least, people just aren't thinking about how it comes off and don't actually mean what they're saying, but it's still concerning.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This just shows how little manufacturing there is in their USA plant right? It's such a low volume product, and they're already 2 months out.

Given this is order only and no sign of them being in the store, I'm wondering if they aren't focusing on BTO for the businesses trying to use the end of their budgets. And aren't making really any general stock at the moment.

----------

Demand outstripped supply. We don't know how small the supply was.

We don't know how large the demand was either. This is the first Mac Pro update in a while

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Guess I'm the only one still blinking at the cost.... starting at $3099 in Canada.

blarrrfff!

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
It's probably a combination of factors. I believe this is a brand new facility. There is plenty of manufacturing in Texas. After all, Samsung makes some of the Apple chipsets at a plant there. However, it takes time to ramp up, and they probably released the product before the production line was up to speed because they had already publicly promised a new Mac Pro by the end of 2013.

I could see that being the case.

Once the initial demand is over, I would imagine the shipping times will improve like most of the new releases.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003

Yes, because you edit photos and video, render 3D worlds, and compose albums, all with the wonderful Geekbench app. I imagine Geekbench will put Adobe of of business very soon.

----------

I could see that being the case.

Once the initial demand is over, I would imagine the shipping times will improve like most of the new releases.

American workers might also expect holidays and weekends... or to get paid overtime if they are working them. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.