Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buy iPhone 6s Plus or wait for iPhone 7 Plus

• BUY iPhone 6s Plus

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • WAIT for iPhone 7 Plus

Votes: 39 52.7%

• Total voters

xactophobic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
I currently have an iPhone 5 and have been trying to hold out for the new iPhone, but my battery drains so fast...and I've had the phone for a long time, obviously. Should I get a 6s Plus or wait for the 7 Plus?

If I wait, should I get one of the battery cases? If so, any thoughts or suggestions?

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Why don't you pay full price for a used 5S to hold you over until September?

I'd say do it after the SE is announced. the 5S' price may drop by a bit.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I currently have an iPhone 5 and have been trying to hold out for the new iPhone, but my battery drains so fast...and I've had the phone for a long time, obviously. Should I get a 6s Plus or wait for the 7 Plus?

If I wait, should I get one of the battery cases? If so, any thoughts or suggestions?
Never wait.

Apple's best work is behind them. Today's focus is on thinning our wallet. Swiftly moving our cash to Apple's war chest, is their highest priority, greatest skill and the number one focus of 2016.

Current products are from my personal ownership experience, quite good. As we continue going forward, Apple's so obsessed with their revenue that mere gadget like improvements suffice.

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
If you like the 5S form factor, could wait for the SE and see if that floats your boat. However I'll be waiting for the 7. Currently on a 5S as well, and it holds up OK.

Reactions: Qbnkelt

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I would suggest make up your own mind. If its broke, than decide on a flip phone or another smartphone. Your decision, not ours which will be all over the map

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Get the 6S+. It'll blow your mind compared to the 5, BUT wait until the SE debuts. Some folks will most likely be unloading their oversized phones and you could probably grab a good deal.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
First year in ages, for the major iPhone refresh. That I see nothing to get excited about. I got a battery case, and plan to keep using my 6, push through til iPhone 8.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
One of the best aspects of any 2014/2015 or newer iPhone is they have the most important core iPhone features. Everything else they might or might not have is secondary and rather inconsequential

Forget the "device specific features" unique to each particular iPhone Model. Apple and the industry in general have reached a level of refinement with their hardware and operating systems, that insures every owner will have an excellent experience.

The need to upgrade is gone

A huge money saver for us, it's only hardcore enthusiasts that actually need to consider replacing a perfectly good iPhone. Everyone else now find themselves able to save money, time and the hassle of starting over with the latest model

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Why wait?

The S version is always the best of that particular phone model. All the kinks are ironed out. Mistakes made with the 6 have been rectified.

So now you have a solid phone that works as it should.

You wait for the 7 you play the guinie pig. If there's any 'gates' (yes I hate that term too but I couldn't think of a better way to put it) to happen they'll happen to the 7 and be ironed out with the 7s.

IMHO it's always worth staying with an S model.

Fair enough if we were a few weeks away from the 7 release but we're not. We're 6/7 months off. That's a long time to use a phone on its last legs.

Buy the 6s+ enjoy your new phone and if when the 7 is released you just HAVE to have it sell the 6s for a small loss and get the 7.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
I have been very happy with my iPhone6, it has really great battery life and has never failed me.
As i rent my phone at contract end i can upgrade to a new iPhone or another brand phone, or buy my 6.
So waiting to see how the new iPhone is excepted is what i plan on doing.

mountain

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Definitely wait for the 7. Those that said don't wait wouldn't take their own advice if they were in your shoe.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
One of the best aspects of any 2014/2015 or newer iPhone is they have the most important core iPhone features. Everything else they might or might not have is secondary and rather inconsequential

Forget the "device specific features" unique to each particular iPhone Model. Apple and the industry in general have reached a level of refinement with their hardware and operating systems, that insures every owner will have an excellent experience.

The need to upgrade is gone

A huge money saver for us, it's only hardcore enthusiasts that actually need to consider replacing a perfectly good iPhone. Everyone else now find themselves able to save money, time and the hassle of starting over with the latest model

Good point....especially now that US carriers have moved away from the subsidized phone model. In the past there wasn't an advantage to paid off phone as the carriers would charge you the same flat smartphone monthly rate. But now your bill drops once the phone is paid off. A lot of AT&T NEXT 12 iPhone 6 customers are going to see that $32-$40 monthly drop off in the next couple of months. If the new iPhone doesn't offer something really compelling, I can easily see a certain percentage of users who upgraded like clockwork making the decision to wait a bit.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

It's up to you ... The iPhone 7 is 6 months away, not exactly tomorrow.
I would buy an iPhone 6S Plus only with a discount from the official price.
I bought the iPhone 6S in January, as usual, with a 150€ discount. I'm usually replacing my iPhone once a year (December-january).
[doublepost=1458139836][/doublepost]
Never wait.

Apple's best work is behind them. Today's focus is on thinning our wallet. Swiftly moving our cash to Apple's war chest, is their highest priority, greatest skill and the number one focus of 2016.

Current products are from my personal ownership experience, quite good. As we continue going forward, Apple's so obsessed with their revenue that mere gadget like improvements suffice.
That's a totally debatable statement.
Every single iPhone I owned, including the last iPhone 6S, was way better than the model it replaced.
So the iPhone 7 will be better than iPhone 6S.

Apple is "obsessed" to make better products. Money comes from better products that people will buy.

Reactions: Analog Kid

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I would consider buying a battery case over replacing the battery personally. You can likely buy one very cheap used, cheaper than a new battery would be. I assume your end goal here is to get the most bang for your buck.

That said, we are barely through the 6s lifecycle. It seems all it takes is a month or two for people to start saying the current gen device is old news and you should just wait for the new one. Think of it this way. You're using an iPhone 5. You've obviously kept the phone a while so you're not the person who has to have the latest device at all times. I think you would be very happy with the 6s too.
[doublepost=1458148092][/doublepost]
Every single iPhone I owned, including the last iPhone 6S, was way better than the model it replaced.
So the iPhone 7 will be better than iPhone 6S.

Apple is "obsessed" to make better products. Money comes from better products that people will buy.
With the exception of the 6 Plus I can agree to this.

Reactions: BeeGood

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
With rumours of a thinner iPhone 7 , i would personally go for the 6s.
Never understood the whole thinner is better thing

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I would wait it out. I'm waiting right now too, but in much better shoes. My iPhone 6 is still current and doesn't have any issues. If it did though, I'd still wait to get the 7.

I am a fanatic though, so I always want to upgrade :D

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I didn't wait. Got my 6S two weeks ago and would do the same if the iPhone 7 was 2 months away. It's blazing fast and I'm actually good with the battery so far. I came from a Galaxy Note 3 and decided a different route so got the 6S and an iPad Mini 4 and I'm delighted with both.

I'll wait for the iPhone 7S before changing as I always liked the S versions. I had a 3GS and a 4S previously.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I would wait it out. I'm waiting right now too, but in much better shoes. My iPhone 6 is still current and doesn't have any issues. If it did though, I'd still wait to get the 7.

I am a fanatic though, so I always want to upgrade :D
If the 7 is lackluster, I want to skip it. But I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with the poor RAM performance of the 6.

Reactions: Jim165

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
It's cheaper to get a battery case now & ride the IP5 out till Sept, than forking out on a 6s plus now & selling it at a small loss for the IP7. So I'd say wait:)

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
If the 7 is lackluster, I want to skip it. But I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with the poor RAM performance of the 6.
That is one of my 2 gripes with the 6. RAM and screen resolution. Apps reload fairly quickly after being thrown into the background and I can't rely on having any more than 2-3 tabs open at a time. It's a little frustrating at some points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.