Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Received my MS M2-max (64/2TB) last week, and my desk is somewhat overwhelmed:

Studio-MP-etc.jpg

Three P2715Q's, and three(/four) CPU's

Two are nicely connected to the MS via an OWC TB3ADP2DP :)

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Business in the front:
View attachment 2295125

Party in the back:
View attachment 2295126

M1 Ultra / 2x Dell UP3017 / CalDigit TS3 Plus / OWC Thunderbay 4 with Noctua fan mod / Apple Magic Trackpad / Keychron K5 Ultra-Slim / Wacom Intuos Pro / Logitech MX Anywhere 2S / Logitech Multimedia Speakers Z200
Looks like my Mac Studio is the lost twin of yours. He like cables, too ;)
IMG_2455.jpg

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Not really a new setup as I'm still using my Mac Studio M1 64GB that is still chugging along (knocking on wood). However, it's a new location as I'm using my family room as my new studio. I'm getting a NAS in a few days that will be a new addition to my computer hardware.

How is the smaller drive performing for you? What is the storage capacity? I have the 18TB version and it's slow, noisy and I wish that I had bought something else... how's the RAID unit performing?

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
How is the smaller drive performing for you? What is the storage capacity? I have the 18TB version and it's slow, noisy and I wish that I had bought something else... how's the RAID unit performing?
I should had stated I'm getting a new Raid unit as the current one I don't trust it, it's also slow and the new one have 4 bays. I will post it when I get it.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
It had Sonoma installed but the update to 14.1.1 required a restart after I had completed the set-up.
you still enjoying the upgrade from the iMac 2014? its the same machine I'm coming from and I'm impatiently waiting for my studio to arrive from the North Pole!

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Nice setup!

How well does the EcoBee Sys integrate into the AAPL Sys for you?

Thank you! Adding a few finishing touches: Grovemade wool desk mat, black notepad + titanium pen, and "display rail". The rail will be placed angled in front of the Lego Mario "?" block and hold things like T5 SSD, AirPods, WifiMan Wizard, etc.

Universal Control is super awesome to involve the iPad for things that I don't necessarily want to take up monitor space for (media streaming, messaging, etc.)

Anyways, to answer your question: The Ecobee sensors are super handy! I've got 160+ accessories, 50+ scenes, 80+ automations, and these sensors definitely enable a solid number of automations. Have about 13 sensors spread throughout my home.

Obviously they tie into the Ecobee thermostat and that allows for a bit more comfort by averaging all of the temp values. But the main reason I have so many though is for motion/occupancy tracking. They are native HomeKit, have a very long battery life, are exceptionally reliable, and are pretty discrete/small.

By placing them strategically, you can effectively run automations for where you are/what you are doing. The ones in my basement (including desk area), keep my accent lighting on until no occupancy is detected in basement (also turns on the accent lighting when going down the stairs).

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Thank you! Adding a few finishing touches: Grovemade wool desk mat, black notepad + titanium pen, and "display rail". The rail will be placed angled in front of the Lego Mario "?" block and hold things like T5 SSD, AirPods, WifiMan Wizard, etc.

"display rail"?

Universal Control is super awesome to involve the iPad for things that I don't necessarily want to take up monitor space for (media streaming, messaging, etc.)

Anyways, to answer your question: The Ecobee sensors are super handy! I've got 160+ accessories, 50+ scenes, 80+ automations, and these sensors definitely enable a solid number of automations. Have about 13 sensors spread throughout my home.

Obviously they tie into the Ecobee thermostat and that allows for a bit more comfort by averaging all of the temp values. But the main reason I have so many though is for motion/occupancy tracking. They are native HomeKit, have a very long battery life, are exceptionally reliable, and are pretty discrete/small.

By placing them strategically, you can effectively run automations for where you are/what you are doing. The ones in my basement (including desk area), keep my accent lighting on until no occupancy is detected in basement (also turns on the accent lighting when going down the stairs).

I use the Honeywell T9, with (atm) two sensors synch'ed.

The Alexa-Integration part of the EcoB Sys prompted me to step-back on that.

Thank you for sharing!

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Work in progress 😅

IMG_0792.jpg

32-inch Dell UP3218K (7680x4320)
Mac Studio (M2 Max)
2TB Samsung 990 Pro (USB4 NVMe enclosure)
2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus (TB3 NVMe enclosure)
Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numpad
Magic Mouse
Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming mouse
Logitech G840 XL Gaming mouse pad and old silicone wrist rest
Sennheiser cans
Table with electric height adjustment measuring 150 x 62 cm (salvaged from the CRT era so it can lift 250 kg and made of solid steel and aluminum, it originally held a much deeper desk in two parts that could tilt and lift the CRT screen separately)

I usually change between sitting and standing if I am doing prolonged sessions in front of the screen. I also have a footrest and missing from the picture is the usual coffee cup 😂

Still working on cable management but need to install network sockets with keystones in the wall (behold the ethernet cable dangling down from the wall), run ethernet in the wall, paint the walls and put up better wall-mounted lighting 😅

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Wow that is a seriously elaborate standing desk lol

I remember when they started showing up in the office. People could choose what they wanted and the company ordered them. There were many that didn't last long-term. The one in the picture here looks like it's built like a tank.

Reactions: picpicmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.