Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
iPhone mini

Maybe all those rumours we heard years ago about an "iPhone mini" was exactly this?

Apple's roadmap was already set for 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones and planned to bring back the classic 4" iPhone later.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I have to admit, when I pick up my iPhone 5 and 4 (I still own them both, despite now using a 6 plus), a part of me is still pulled in by them. The 4 especially. It was such a beautiful design. However, as soon as I try to type anything on either one of them, I remember why I love the 6 plus.

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
Apple should mabye re-read the chapter in the Steve Jobs biography describing how he
radically tightening the confusing, unfocussed portfolio after coming back.

That chapter, along with many others, is being ripped out & used as toilet paper.
Don't you see it everyday? This, the AppleWatch & iPadMini are but three of the latest examples ....

Gluben

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
This is exactly what should happen, both with the iPhone and the iPad:

iPhone S - Small, 4"
iPhone M - Medium, 4.7"
iPhone L - Large, 5.5"

iPad S - Small, 7.9"
iPad M - Medium, 9.7"
iPad L - Large, 12.2"

Then anyone can choose a size. Just so long as they don't skimp on the features in each model.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
I sure hope this will happen , the 6 just feels to big the 5s was perfect for me .

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I really don't see why they wouldn't. The 4" size did well for it's time. Anecdotally, I know many people that are still on their 4/4S because the current phones are too big.

There is still a market as long as Apple doesn't handicap it in some way.
-Raises hand-

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I don't know if it'll happen this year as the 5s would still fit the bill as the incoming free phone and it's still 4", but if they really want to push Apple Pay, it might make sense to make a slightly upgraded 5s model at 4" that supported Apple Pay. I do think at some point in the next two years that we'll see an updated 4" model. What it'll be and how it'll be placed in the lineup is anyone's guess though.

I've been happy with my 6 for the most part, and I'm likely to give the Plus size a go on the 6s, but I honestly have a sneaking suspicion that if given the choice between 4", 4.7", and 5.5" iPhones with equal specs, I'd likely end up going back to the 4". I really do miss how easy it was to use one handed. I know I am far from being alone on that front either.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I've had the iPhone 6 for a while now and while I'm getting used to it I still prefer the one handed ease of use of the 5s most of the time. I'd probably go back to a 4" assuming it had the same internals as the 4.7 or 5.5.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Maybe the "C" line won't be killed. They could be releasing a 6S, 6S+ and a new 6C with a 4" screen and a plastic case as the low cost option.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
If true it would sell too! Many people want a smaller iPhone with better internals.

I'm one of them - I didn't upgrade to the iPhone 6 when my original iPhone 5 contract ended, as don't want a bigger phone, if I want to use a bigger screen I'll use my 7" Kindle Fire HDX tablet or my Macbook Air

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
That was inevitable. They couldn't/didn't do cos iPhone 5S was already taking third level, by introducing yet another model would've pushed the 5S still further in price slab, making it more cheaper than what they do to one year old model.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Yeah, keep all the different iPhone/iPad mini air plus pro sizes coming (even if this size already exists/existed), Apple, until finding and buying the right Apple product for you becomes as difficult, time-consuming and painful as buying from any other "normal" company... Apple should mabye re-read the chapter in the Steve Jobs biography describing how he radically tightening the confusing, unfocussed portfolio after coming back.

While it's true Steve Jobs preached focus, there's no such thing as one-size-fits-all. Apple releasing multiple sizes for their product lines is a result of consumer demand.

Steve's product lines were no different.

Last edited:

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
If true it would sell too! Many people want a smaller iPhone with better internals.

I can certainly see a market for a 4". For me though, I can't use a 4" after having a 6 Plus. My old 5 feels so tiny and light that when I picked it up I nearly flung it into the air. It feels like a child's phone now. And damn, I don't know how I accomplished anything on that tiny-ass screen.

Luckily for me, I inherited my mother's long skinny fingers, so with reachability and I can pretty much use my 6 Plus entirely one handed.

Last edited:

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I have a 5C. My wife has a 6. I'm quite happy with mine and don't intend to upgrade it anytime soon unless Apple invents some really awesome and unexpected feature. But should that happen and they give me a size choice, I'll happily pick the the 4" over the 4.7" or 5.5" even if the price is the same (and thus assuming the internals are equal too).

If I had to go up to 4.7" to get this new feature, I'd likely wait another year to see if they eventually offered a smaller phone, or to benefit from an extra year's worth of updates to justify the con of the added bulk.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
I'd have gone for the 4in model if the 6 had been released in 3 sizes , 4, 4.7 and 5.5. (still on the 4s btw!)

Only this morning my barber was showing me his new 6, lamenting that it was too big and he'd prefer a 4in version.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The "news" title is hilarious. Notwithstanding, I'm not sure I believe Apple will continue to produce a phone with a 4" screen. It would make sense though if they did and called it their budget phone.

I think this is the perfect time/fit for a "C" variant device. I also think that this will be the perfect time to do away with the number/current naming convention and move to a more unified naming system:

iPhone mini (starting at $99/$499)
iPhone Air (starting at $199/$649)
iPhone Pro or keep the Plus name (starting at $299/$749)

The "mini" "Air" and "Pro" monikers are used across various Apple product lines. It only makes sense for Apple to adopt this mentality for the iPhone. They would then update each annually and do away with selling last year's model cheaper (officially - if they kept some around to sell they could simply adopt the same differentiation they have with Macbooks and add the year to the name).

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
Yeah, keep all the different iPhone/iPad mini air plus pro sizes coming (even if this size already exists/existed), Apple, until finding and buying the right Apple product for you becomes as difficult, time-consuming and painful as buying from any other "normal" company... Apple should mabye re-read the chapter in the Steve Jobs biography describing how he radically tightened the confusing, unfocussed portfolio after coming back.

Do you really find choosing between 3 screen sizes confusing? In 2005, when I bought my first Mac, there were 5 laptop form factors to choose from. And it was Steve Jobs who was in charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.