Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
It'd be great if Apple released a bit of its margins, and now that larger sizes exist, use size for price differentiations (alongside specs only larger and more expensive size will have, as OIS on the 6+ this year, or arbitrary limitations on flash storage as it do now too). And then stop to sell 2 years old (or more) iDevices as their cheapest models; it made much more sense when there was only one size, but now they likely could be moving to a different approach.

To maximize profits, made on their most expensive models, they have to be top notch, while their lower-end = smallest size could have a different schedule with delay on adoption of last techs to ensure attractivity of high-end models.
Lots of people in the market for high-end models aren't upgrading during the summer before the fall release, and sales plummet in that period.

One could imagine Apple suppressing both the 5c and 5s and replacing them with a new 4" model based on A8, with Touch ID and NFC (and Apple Pay for everyone), in june for example at the WWDC, then boosting sales in the low-end before the high-end customers run in fall '15 for the upgrade of the 4.7" and 5.5" models.
And repeat every year, in june the 4" model gets the guts of previous fall's more lucrative models.

And same with the currently messy iPad mini line, release in june an A8 model and remove the original mini and the mini 3, with only the mini 2 as the lowest-end.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Lmaoo I'm sorry . Dumbest article in a while . They sell the 5s and probably will continue to sell the 5s .

Female user target audience ? Uhhh nah .

IMO there should be a 4 inch and the 5.5 inch. The 4 inch is the perfect size for an easy-to-hold phone. The 6 plus offers a lot of utility for which you give up the comfort. The 6 is just an uncomfortable tweener. The extra size only hurts. An extra row of app icons, in exchange for limited one handed operation. No thanks.

A permanent 4 inch option in the line up only makes sense. They already have a gillion screen sizes now, no point getting rid of an extremely useful one.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I don't need a bigger phone ... a smaller phone with all the features of the giant phones would be perfect for me.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I would do 4" for people who don't want a large device to carry around. I would do 5" for the "sweet spot" IMO, and 5.5" for those who want a large screen. Keep the C model as a 4" version, and use that as a "hobby." But I would boost the 4.7" to 5".

I agree that Apple should offer the iPhone in 3 sizes... but I don't think they should push the 4.7" to 5"

4.7" is the halfway point between 4" and 5.5"

I don't think that was by accident :)

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
People have adopted larger displays not because of sheer size but because they can provide more information. If Apple somehow manage to change the way information appears, I think size will not matter much. I believe 4inch is the best size ergonomically.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I can certainly see a market for a 4". For me though, I can't use a 4" after having a 6 Plus. My old 5 feels so tiny and light that when I picked it up I nearly flung into the air. It feels like a child's phone now. And damn, I don't how I accomplished anything on that tiny-ass screen.

Luckily for me, I inherited my mother's long skinny fingers, so with reachability and I can pretty use my 6 Plus entirely one handed.

I'm on the same boat as you. I can't believe how small the iPhones before the 6 and 6 plus are. Seems almost unreal when I grab one now. I personally can't go back to a small screen either. Even the 6 seems kinda small to me now, too used to my 6 Plus at this point.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
If this is true, I'll actually upgrade from my iPhone 5. I can't stand these stupidly huge phones.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Just like the 5.5 wasn't happening either.

I like the new from factors and I always thought that Apple should have at least 3 sizes.

That's what they said last year about the 5.5" iPhone :rolleyes:

Yes... but the 5.5" is considered (natural) "progression". re-releasing something that has been discontinued when there is clearly no reason to do so (as the iPhone 6, 4.7" is selling very well) would be a "regression".

I'm not saying that I don't like the smaller form factor or that I think they should not do it. I think they SHOULD do it. Heck, they should come out with one for every quarter-inch increment between 3.5" and 6" for all I'm concerned... more choices for the consumer..... but I still don't think it's going to happen.

My guess would be that if it ever did, it would be something like the 5c, targeted at the growing markets in economies where the 6 and 6 plus are inaccessible due to either supply or cost. It wouldn't be lumped in with the "flagship" devices that are the 6 and 6 plus.

Then again, what do I know... I'm no analyst.

rcalderoni

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
I would buy this if the specs and resolution matched the mid-sized model. I like the 6 but even with my fairly big hands it's still unwieldy compared to the 5. I would love to have a smaller phone again.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
I really don't see why they wouldn't. The 4" size did well for it's time. Anecdotally, I know many people that are still on their 4/4S because the current phones are too big.

There is still a market as long as Apple doesn't handicap it in some way.

That's because nothing else was available other than 4"

Funny enough, the article mentions it's main target is females, whoever, I see more females using the 6+ or Samsung Galaxy with 5" displays.

mbh1976

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Hope this is legit

I love the size of my 5S and actually purchased (and then returned) a 6 because it's too big. Hard to hold/pick up, doesn't fit in my pocket and most importantly not easy to use. I love the actual edges of the 5S as it gives the phone some tactility.

Apple's insistence on slim devices is a little crazy to me. Yes, they look cool, but picking up/holding/using a 6/6+ or even an ipad air doesn't feel right to me- I need something to hold onto.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
If this is true, I'll actually upgrade from my iPhone 5. I can't stand these stupidly huge phones.

The 6 isn't much bigger.

I can't stand posters like you who won't give the phone a chance. Playing with it in store for 5 minutes doesn't count. Give yourself a week

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I'm happy with my 4S. A iPhone 4S 2015 model with all the newer features would be the bomb.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
If true it would sell too! Many people want a smaller iPhone with better internals.

Exactly! I've been hanging onto my iPhone 4 far longer than I wanted too because I don't want to carry a brick around in my pocket. Especially considering I have my phone with me during waking hours.

Beyond that I'm a guy, it makes no sense at all to target this phone at one sex. Instead it should be seen as a reasonably sized device that is easy to carry.

dxmac99

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
I'm short and have small hands and I can use my 6 Plus fine one-handed with Reachability. Going back down to 4" would be a step backwards.

Can you tell me how do you reach the "M" or Delete key in say iMessage while you hold it with left hand in portrait mode?

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
I hope so!

I'm sure a lot of people will be VERY happy if they do this. Will definitely be my next phone if they do, I find the 6+ far too big for my usage and even the 6 is slightly larger than ideal for my practical use.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I would think that there is one of the following two scenarios at play:

1. Apple has yet to engineer all of the goodies we want in our devices that can fit in the smaller form-factor. Keep in mind that "smaller" (read also: Thinner) means it's harder to cram all the stuff in there. That's why we have protruding cameras and similar battery life in the 6 or 6 plus. or...

2. If Apple *can* make it happen (fit all the good stuff and keep same battery life in a smaller form factor) and they have the technology, they obviously don't see a market for it at this time.

In reading this thread, it sounds like a majority of people here would love the smaller form-factor. I was very reluctant to upgrade to a larger phone, myself. But with that said, I still have my iPhone 5 and while it still gets the job done, I've grown accustomed to the larger screen size and would not want to go back to something smaller.

What I *would* like to see would be the same screen size but reduction of the top and bottom bezels on the iPhone 6 design.

MacintoshMan

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
I love the smaller form factor. But I'm also someone that has a MBPr and stand alone work station that I use when I'm home, or sitting at a desk. For people who make these devises their only work space, they're obviously going to want a massive screen.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
For me the 4 inch size was still the best. And I'm a guy. I would like to see a smaller size brought back into the mix. I have a 6 now. Nice but when I grab a 4 now I realize how great that felt in the hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.