Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I, a male, have small hands and have found my iPhone 6 to be just too big compared to my 5 to comfortably be able to use it one handed. Really what I would love is a 4.3-4.5in iPhone with a slimmed down bezel on the sides and the top and bottom (especially the bottom making the top easier to reach, how it would work with Touch ID not sure). It would be just as easy to use in one hand, while still allowing a larger screen.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Sold

I hope this is true. I passed on this years model just because of size. Its the first iPhone I haven't bought. If they bring back 4", with updated internals, NFC etc., I surely will get it.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I was tired of the small, narrow screen on the 5S, and I would've switched to Android if they hadn't come out with a bigger screen.

I like the 6 and the wider screen.

You realize the 5S and the 6 are both 16x9... right?

Neither is "wider" or "narrower"

Rettun1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
How would this cause fragmentation? Apple already uses a 4" form factor.

If Apple "settles" on three sizes it's a non issue.

This is fragmentation:
http://gizmodo.com/what-android-fragmentation-looks-like-its-growing-1624662310

True, and it's not like the new 4 inch model would get the same screen resolution, it'd probably get the same resolution that's in the 6 right now. So there wouldn't need to be continued separate development for the smaller screen, it's the same as the 4.7

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Don't get me wrong I love my 6+ other than fact I've had it replaced twice for warping now, but if this is on the 6s cycle I would go back to a 4"er, as I appreciate my work 5s much more for normal life day to day throw about usage and it does make me realise how cumbersome the 6+ can be (Although I don't notice this when not using them side by side)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I, a male, have small hands and have found my iPhone 6 to be just too big compared to my 5 to comfortably be able to use it one handed. Really what I would love is a 4.3-4.5in iPhone with a slimmed down bezel on the sides and the top and bottom (especially the bottom making the top easier to reach, how it would work with Touch ID not sure). It would be just as easy to use in one hand, while still allowing a larger screen.

Same situation as me. I have until sunday to decide if I want to keep my 6 or just go back to the 5s b.c of the size. It is just large enough that 1 hand use is not as good as the 5s.

One of the major features holding me back is touchID payments. Can you do that on the 5s with apps?

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
not everybody plays games or watches video on their phone. A lot of users simply use it for email, and as a phone.
I know a few folks that carry an iphone as a 2nd 'company' phone, will be annoyed when only an iphone 6 sized phone is available.

cupertinojay

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Yes, please!

I replaced my 5S with a 6 the day it came out. I'm reasonably happy with it. But given the choice between 4" and 4.7", everything else being equal, I would pick the 4".

I'm a 5'10 male and the 6 is slightly unwieldy in my hands and downright uncomfortable in my jeans pocket. Everyone has different usage patterns. In my case, I am willing to sacrifice screen size for something smaller and more pocketable. When I'm at home and want something bigger ... well, that's what my iPad is for.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
The 6 is just an uncomfortable tweener. The extra size only hurts. An extra row of app icons, in exchange for limited one handed operation.

I would have to disagree and considering the 6 is the best selling, I think a lot of other people do as well. IMO, 4" is too small, 5.5" is too big. 4.7" is the sweet spot, and with Reachability, one handed operation is still easy.

But I do think an updated 4" would sell very well.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
The 4 inch is will probably be titled iPhone mini and some of the internals will probably be downgraded like the galaxy s mini line.

I don't know why people are still whining about the 4.7. I have tiny hands and use it with one hand just fine. People just need something to whine about. Those same people crying for a 4 inch are the same ones who said 3.5 was the perfect size.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
My prediction for the 2015 Lineup:

iPhone 6c 4" @ 640x1136
iPhone 6s 4.7" @ 750x1334
iPhone 6s Plus 5.5" @ 1242x2208

TheMarc

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
I really don't see why they wouldn't. The 4" size did well for it's time. Anecdotally, I know many people that are still on their 4/4S because the current phones are too big.

There is still a market as long as Apple doesn't handicap it in some way.

It's my case: Gave my 5 to my wife and bought a 4s. The size bothered me too much. So I can't imagine a 6 or 6+, and I'm sticking with my 4s, at the expense of speed and iOS8..

I sure wish for a new smaller iphone (with a 4inch screen, but shorter than the 5, hopefully around the size of the 4/4s).

zeesix

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Dear Apple market research team - add me to the list of potential buyers. Would love a 4" phone (as long is it has the same internals as the larger models).

I too was reluctant to get the new iphone, but I can't help being on the latest device and NFC/Apple pay ultimately was the deciding factor. However, it's the first iPhone where the thought of not upgrading occurred to me...I'd be much happier with a smaller device.

To me, a phablet is a compromise and the worst of both worlds... too big for a phone, and too small for a tablet. However, I get that some people take that tradeoff for having a single device.. so there is a market. Just don't forget the other market (hint #1: it could also help your ipad cannibalization issue, hint #2: your competitors aren't doing it, you could be first to market in 2015!).

Last edited:

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
Bigger is not better, it's how you use it.

Since I purchased my first Apple product in August 2008 - the iPhone 3G - I never imagined purchasing any other brand of phone. Loved my iPhone 4 and now 5.

I'm ready to upgrade and now what? I don't want a phone with a greater width! I have an iPad that I carry with me (backpack or vehicle) constantly. The 4" is perfect for my (size XL) man hands and my size 31x32 skinny jean pockets.

Shall I wait for the iWatch, just in case it comes in a phone version?!?!! That would be the PERFECT size for me!!!! (Actually my Sanyo SCP 6200 was the perfect size. I still miss it!!!) :(

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I like my iPhone 6, but having a 4" phone makes a lot of sense. I pick up my development iPhone 5 at times and reminisce about the old days of "small" smartphones.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
While I'd love one I don't see a majority interest in the real world. I think the real interest is strong enough though that Apple would sell tens of millions without trying.

Right. I don't see majority real-world interest either. That's why I said "the majority of people here". Coming to these forums right before, during, and immediately after the 6 and 6 Plus were launched, one may have easily concluded that the 6 Plus was the favorite... but last headline I saw said the 6 was outselling (or was it "outshipping") the 6 Plus by double. Certainly a very vocal minority does not equal a majority.

Still too big. I'd rather see something iPhone 4 sized or the minimal enlargement between that and a 5. You are right in that the bezels need to be addressed just that the 6 is too big even if those are addressed. I'd go so far as to suggest putting the Touch ID switch on the back of the Phone. In the end the goal is to minimize XY dimensions as much as possible while supporting a 4" or so screen. The Z dimension on the old 4 series wasn't bad at all, I would imagine though that it could be improved on a new design.

In any event Apple shouldn't go hog wild here with performance that disrupts battery life. Rather the goal should be best in class battery performance.

Right again. What I said was "...the same screen size but reduction of the top and bottom bezels on the iPhone 6 design." Again, I think we're saying the same thing, but in different ways. by "design" I mean the overall shape of the 6. Reducing the bezels and keeping the current screen size of the 6 would effectively reduce the XY dimensions. I like the curved edges, color, and "shape" if that makes sense...

I think they need to be careful with adding/removing features from what would be the different "classes" of phone. Once you start, say, removing features for your "lower class" phone, you HAVE to also consider price. On the flipside, if you have a "lower class" of iPhone that is too similar to the next class up in features/price, you may not move enough units.

What would make sense, speaking in terms of iPhone "classes" would be similar to what the game console industry or auto industry does -- make a "lower spec" or "lower class" iphone model that has very small or nonexistent profit margins (like what a game console does) but use it to attract customers who otherwise wouldn't be able to buy an iPhone. Then, once they're in the "ecosystem" that's where the money can be made (such as game consoles making their profits off of the GAMES themselves). Then, presumably, they will "trade up" (like some folks do with their vehicles) to a better "class" once they're in the ecosystem...

I feel like I'm back in one of my MBA classes! I'll be interested to see what happens. It's always fun to watch how companies do things and then try to dissect what they've done using business-logic. ;)

cheers!

----------

Dragqueen it up a bit more "aint happenin, honey"

sugga.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I think its best to give people three good options. Its just like the gold silver and black. I will still stick with the bigger phones. I'm a man so I need a bigger phone to fit my hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.