Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Apple gave good reasons for going with the 3.5" and 4" sizes. Those still apply.

The multiple ways a mobile phone can be used are good reasons for the new sizes, but the physical size is more important to some than the screen size. Offer all 3 sizes.
The reasons was, Apple. There really is no other reason.

elgrego

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2006
God, I hope this is true. I don't want one of the larger models. I think even the 5 series is too large. I'd prefer the 4-series size (even the thickness - battery life!). FYI, Apple.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
I hope the rumour is true, not that I would buy the 4" version, I want to try the 6s plus next year, but a new 4" iPhone could maybe spark also a new 4" iPod Touch.

Yes, I know that the iPod series is only 1% of Apple's revenue, but that still means a lot of money and it iPods are the "training wheels" for kids* who are still too young to get an iPhone.

*and adults that would like a dedicated music player now that the iPod Classic has been discontinued.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Neither do you. :)

Separate parts = multiple screen sizes. iPhone folks have always said that about Android. Is it an issue? I haven't had any...

Source

You're clueless. Fragmentation has nothing to do with screen sizes. It refers to Android OS fragmentation.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The killer feature might be battery life.
Fewer pixels, slightly thicker than the 6, but marginally larger than the 5s.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
While that would make sense as the $450 "budget" model for the next release round, that doesn't actually match the 5C's release. It used only 1 generation old innards and was $550 vs. the flagship $650 base.

To call it a 6C, it should use the A8 innards of the current iPhone 6, cost $550, and be released alongside a 6S using A9 innards for $650.

Good point.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I don't understand the mindset that small = budget. If they made a 4" phone with the latest internals and the OIS camera it would probably be a no-brainer for lots of people. The 4" phone doesn't need to be a paired down 'budget device'.

I found the same thing with cars. I wanted a Subaru Impreza because it gets good gas mileage and I don't need anything bigger, but because it is the cheapest car it doesn't come with electric seats etc... I'd happily have paid more for a car with those features, but they're not even offered because it's the entry level/budget vehicle. It makes no sense to me.

Ditto. I want a smaller device not a lesser device.

truethug

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I really hope this is true.

Now, please give it the same internals as the larger phones, make it thicker if need be.

– someone, is still on a 4S, because in his eyes this was the perfect form factor.

No way, The 3G was the perfect form factor :)
Also what's with this females comment? I don't have a purse to carry a large phone in. This thing has to fit in my pants, and I take it everywhere! (On a side note maybe waterproof??)

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
As someone who's had a 4s, 5, 5s and now a 6, I most preferred the size of the 5/5s. However, the form factor on the 6 is the best. If I could get a 4" phone in a better form factor with the same internals and memory as the premium phones, I would instantly buy it.

While I do appreciate the larger screen for watching content and typing, I keep running into situations every day where one-handed use keeps causing problems. The home button double tap is an OK workaround but takes time and is not fluid. Especially when walking on the street, the 4" form factor was so much better.

I left a very similar comment in Apple's customer satisfaction survey that I got after purchasing the iPhone 6 so maybe they listen...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The iPhone 5s for instance, and 5c are both 4-inches... "for males as well"

what is Apple trying to say here ?

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
How would this cause fragmentation? Apple already uses a 4" form factor.
If Apple "settles" on three sizes it's a non issue.

Don't contradict me. Not when my belly is full of Nathan's hotdogs with mustard,
a large order of Nathan's fries, French cheesecake, ice cold milk to wash it down with,
and a long pull on a fresh, tightly packed tube of tobacco manufactured by Marlboro ....

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I hope this ends up happening. It would get me to switch back to the iPhone as long as they don't intentionally cripple the hardware. I switched to android so I could get a smaller phone when I heard the rumoured sizes of the 6. the 6 at 4.7" is too big to use as a phone, but too small to to be practical as a tablet, and while the 6+ is big enough to have some use as a small tablet I'm not sure that I'm ready to give up a phone that can easily go anywhere.

zeesix

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Right. I don't see majority real-world interest either. That's why I said "the majority of people here". Coming to these forums right before, during, and immediately after the 6 and 6 Plus were launched, one may have easily concluded that the 6 Plus was the favorite... but last headline I saw said the 6 was outselling (or was it "outshipping") the 6 Plus by double. Certainly a very vocal minority does not equal a majority.

Right again. What I said was "...the same screen size but reduction of the top and bottom bezels on the iPhone 6 design." Again, I think we're saying the same thing, but in different ways. by "design" I mean the overall shape of the 6. Reducing the bezels and keeping the current screen size of the 6 would effectively reduce the XY dimensions. I like the curved edges, color, and "shape" if that makes sense...

I think they need to be careful with adding/removing features from what would be the different "classes" of phone. Once you start, say, removing features for your "lower class" phone, you HAVE to also consider price. On the flipside, if you have a "lower class" of iPhone that is too similar to the next class up in features/price, you may not move enough units.

What would make sense, speaking in terms of iPhone "classes" would be similar to what the game console industry or auto industry does -- make a "lower spec" or "lower class" iphone model that has very small or nonexistent profit margins (like what a game console does) but use it to attract customers who otherwise wouldn't be able to buy an iPhone. Then, once they're in the "ecosystem" that's where the money can be made (such as game consoles making their profits off of the GAMES themselves). Then, presumably, they will "trade up" (like some folks do with their vehicles) to a better "class" once they're in the ecosystem...

I feel like I'm back in one of my MBA classes! I'll be interested to see what happens. It's always fun to watch how companies do things and then try to dissect what they've done using business-logic. ;)

cheers!

----------

sugga.

I don't agree with a smaller bezel and larger screen. The bezel is not the issue. A large screen would still mean you can't reach everything with one hand. Also, in theory no bezel sounds great, but in practice it's awful. Just like thinner and thinner phones sound great, until you hold it and it feels weird (iphone6 is almost too thin). Also, no bezel infers removing hardware buttons, which I think add a lot to the iphone experience.

A plain piece of glass might look pretty but the usability suffers severely.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
Of course they are. Otherwise they would lose customers in the future. Customers like me who don't want a phone bigger than 4".

I waited for the iPhone 6 to be released but found it too big and bought a 5s instead. If in a coupe of year Apple don't have a 4" model then I would seriously consider another Phone.

Also I pretty sure Steve Jobs said countless times that the iPhone 5 was the perfect size and he wouldn't want to go bigger. So to totally abandon that form factor would seem even stranger on Apple's part.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The reasons was, Apple. There really is no other reason.

There was that reason that it is a great size for pretty much anyone to comfortably use one handed. Yes there are some people with big hands that can use the 6 with one hand, but that's not most people so the reasons apple gave for keeping the smaller sizes int he past are still valid.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Just in time for me to upgrade. That'd be nice, as long as the battery life doesn't absolutely suck.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Doubt this. The 5S is pretty future proof, its almost as powerful as a 6 according to geekbench. 2500 vs 2900. Not a big leap.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Indeed. It's just a pity the naming probably won't be consistent.

It seems as though Apple are moving away slightly form the "i" branded products, i.e. Apple Watch and Apple Pay.

We may yet see Apple Phone, Apple Pad, Apple Tunes...

No way. iPhone and iPad aren't going anywhere. New products though most likely won't get the "i" moniker ever again.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Of course it'll happen. Anyone who thinks they will only sell 4.7 and 5.5 inch phones from now on is delusional.

Agree and I would buy one on the spot and the reason I will not buy into the larger iPhones is that they are too big for my taste. ;)

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I could see it happening… but knowing Apple, it would only be marketed as a "low-end" (entry-level) iPhone, which means it will lack the high end features of its higher-margin big brothers.

jbsiii

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2014
La Jolla, CA
Hope this happens . . .

As noted by others, secure, one-handed operation is crucial for many iPhone users (including me), and a 4" solution w/ ApplePay capability would be a great addition to the iPhone line-up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.