Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
SlingAccounts?

It seems to be getting worse for us Mac users. Apparently SlingPlayer for the iPhone depends heavily for configuration and setup on SlingAccounts which is a service that is only available for PCs running Windows. If you are a Mac-only user then you can still use SlingPlayer but the setup is completely manual and you can't use some conveniences that rely on SlingAccounts. I don't think this affects video playback, per se, just the setup and user preferences.

In any case, I think the Mac version of SlingAccounts is being worked on and may become available fairly soon.

Sling Community now has a complete review of SlingPlayer for the iPhone/iPod touch. They have confirmed that it is WiFi only. Here is the link to the review:

http://www.slingcommunity.com/article/34510/SlingPlayer-Mobile-for-iPhone-iPod-Touch-Review/

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Is this app only available in the States, how can AT&T determine how the features of the app if it's released worldwide?

I'd say definitely. There was an article in yesterdays' WSJ about how the iPhone has turned into a double edged sword for ATT b/c iPhone users use exponentially more bandwidth than other smartphone users. The bandwidth use is costing them more $ than estimated but more importantly as you note it's clogging up the system which is why it can be so slow at times. Good motivation for ATT to get LTE up and running.

That's why I don't blame AT&T.

If it is a bandwith issue, then why do Blackberries (with as many and likely a lot more units out there) have 3G sling? I know that AT&T would rather have people buy Blackberries (I am sure Apple takes a bigger cut than RIM), but why would Apple go along? All Apple has to say is "you have to give us equal treatment"(why still no tethering too?). They are intentionally making their competitors more attractive by denying some of the coolest features other phones have (and not because the iPhone CAN'T do these things).

They're actually making the idea of having a 3G netbook and a bare bones cell phone attractive. You pay through the nose for the iPhone plan, and if you are not a big phone user (like me), it is a little painful to pay that much for the phone side of things. A 3G netbook(or even another portable 3G device without restrictions) and a cheap Verizon plan might fit my needs a lot better AND cost me a lot less.

I love my phone, but if it doesn't do what I want it to I don't care how easy it is to use.

Please read this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124200303430005275.html

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Not all of them. Verizon allows it now, which is a new change made last year to their TOS:
Wow, that's great news.

The link I posted that showed their TOS prohibits streaming of audio/video was less than a month old. If they changed their TOS last year, I guess it took a bit to update their website? :)

Either way, Verizon specifically allowing video/audio streaming should give AT&T a lot of pressure to change their stance.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
slingbox is being greedy and stupid. they won't sell any new hardware by charging $30 for a streamer that should be free. and they won't make any money off existing customers with only wifi support. the only consistent wifi connection is in my home...you know the place with a few tvs and a broadband connection already.

this is the main problem!!!
D*mn AT&T and Apphole!:mad::mad:
This is largely near the last straw and I would seriously give up my iphone if I had not already anticipated this and recording everything now on eyetv.

LixLev

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
I just typed 'Sling Media' into the UK app store. It has been released! £17.99 for us UK'ers.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
I've been lurking around here a while, and following this thread. I find it surprising, as far as I can tell, that nobody has addressed a possible delay/limitation for this app to be because of 3.0. From watching the 3.0 announcement video, it's obvious that the new firmware allows developers to take advantage of new kinds of video implementation (i.e. the ESPN app that was demoed), and I thought from the get-go that Sling would have to revamp their entire app to take advantage of the new firmware.

Thus, I wonder if this lengthy approval and now Wifi-only requirement has as much to do with AT&T wanting to limit bandwidth, or if it has to do with giving a major company like Sling time to revamp their app, and this is just the interim. The price, however, I find a little shocking.

My reasoning is that an iPhone user could go on NBC.COM, CNN.COM, etc. and watch videos until their heart's content over 3G, and I don't know how that would be any different from Sling. Perhaps, however, as 3.0 allows developers to deliver content directly to the user based upon their current connection, rather than having to encode for the lowest common denominator, that a new version of Sling is currently in the works?

We can't go to nbc, abc, etc. to watch video because you need flash!!!!!!!!!!
that's why slingbox was seen as a savior for 3G video viewing!

jnook1

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Now that it's 100% confirmed WIFI only, here is some info on enabling 3G for jailbroken phones. The review on SlingCommunity does say this works. You'll need VoIPover3G installed, which is available in Cydia for jailbroken phones:

http://www.installerapps.com/2008/10/26/voipover3g/

Once thats installed we just need someone to located the SlingPlayer's bundle ID so we can edit the VoIPover3G plist file to include it. Then 3G/WIFI should be good to go! :)

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Haha, what a joke. It’s only a matter of time until ATT blocks Slingplayer from WM, BB, Symbian and Palm. Thanks for ruining the fun, Apple…

I’ll just continue to stream my Hava over 3g on my Nokia E71. Love it!

ZbadhabitZ

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
We can't go to nbc, abc, etc. to watch video because you need flash!!!!!!!!!!
that's why slingbox was seen as a savior for 3G video viewing!

That is absolutely not correct. NBC and CNN have mobile versions of their sites, complete with videos. Try going to NBC.COM from Safari on your iPhone...it redirects you to a mobile version of their site, where you can watch full episodes (broken into usually 6-7 minute clips) of shows like The Office, 30 Rock, etc. CNN has full news stories you can watch right from your iPhone.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
That is absolutely not correct. NBC and CNN have mobile versions of their sites, complete with videos.
Funny, I just went to the NBC.com mobile site using my iPhone and the first commercial was for the Blackberry with the tag line of "Connect to everything you love in life."

Manny13z

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
Can anyone post to contact #'s for apple and AT&T so we can all flood them with our deepest concern that iPhone owners are being treated unfairly because other sling platforms are allowed to gain access via 3g!!! Let's stick together on this one and make a change!!! Who is with me???

I'm in!

erikistired

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2006
(770)
Haha, what a joke. It’s only a matter of time until ATT blocks Slingplayer from WM, BB, Symbian and Palm. Thanks for ruining the fun, Apple…

I’ll just continue to stream my Hava over 3g on my Nokia E71. Love it!

why is this apple's fault?

someone touched on it, but didn't go into detail. the AT&T guy who was on clark howard the other day said it's against the TOS to redirect TV to your cell phone over their wireless 3g network. you can go to youtube, or whatever (anything that doesn't require flash i guess for the iphone) all you want, but you can't redirect tv to your phone. i'm guessing that's why this is WIFI only, altho if other phones DO work over 3g with sling then i'm not sure why this is only an issue now. maybe because AT&T can control the app through apple's distribution?

i didn't catch the whole interview, so i don't know if this had to do with the new sling player or the iphone or whatever specifically, but he seemed to kept repeating it was in the TOS and only covered watching redirected video from your tv. he also kept talking about bandwidth and how it's not fair for users to clog the bandwidth (he was using a horrible analogy but i can't remember it right now) but he seemed to be saying that redirecting tv was evil or something.

and now AT&T released a statement saying the same thing.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Ok ... so let me get this right ... If you own a Sling Box at home, theory is with this app (player) I could be able to stream content received by the Sling Box over the iPhone via Wi-Fi?

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Ok ... so let me get this right ... If you own a Sling Box at home, theory is with this app (player) I could be able to stream content received by the Sling Box over the iPhone via Wi-Fi?

yes, and change channels, view recorded tv shows, etc

Manny13z

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
At & T

I am extremely frustrated with AT & T right now, I have been a loyal customer for many years. I owned an HTC Tilt before I purchased the iPhone and I was able to stream live tv through the slingplayer. I feel that I am being punished for owning the iphone, a phone that I paid and continue to pay a premium for. I love the iPhone but as soon as a get a chance I will be terminating my contract with AT & T and moving on to Verizon. If I am going to be prohibited in using my iPhone to it's full potential I am better off purchasing the iPod touch and taking my business elsewhere. :mad:

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
AT&T Network would collapse

Imagine if AT&T allowed iPhone users to have it go with 3G. Their network would crash and burn. Unlike other devices, the iPhone is so easy and intuitive that users never hesitate to use the apps that they have. iPhone users seriously use their apps. Newbies are loading and using apps because its so easy to do. Unlike the old ways.

Manny13z

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
Imagine if AT&T allowed iPhone users to have it go with 3G. Their network would crash and burn. Unlike other devices, the iPhone is so easy and intuitive that users never hesitate to use the apps that they have. iPhone users seriously use their apps. Newbies are loading and using apps because its so easy to do. Unlike the old ways.

That's fine, then the sooner that the iPhone is available on other carriers the better it will be for all iPhone owners. Apple please don't extend your contract with AT & T!!

dogzilla

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Enough!

OK, so AT&T wants to screw around? Here's a modest proposal:

What are we allowed? 4GB a month? I suggest we all use every last bit of bandwidth we can, right up to the limit. And all of us post it and ask every iPhone owner we know to do the same.

digg1er

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
to be honest, in a selfish way I'm glad that AT&T restricted the sling app to wifi only. Since I'm jailbroken I'll be able to use it over 3g anyway, without suffering any deterioration in the network since a relatively small proportion of iPhone users are hip to jb, let alone the voip over 3g extension :)

Manny13z

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
to be honest, in a selfish way I'm glad that AT&T restricted the sling app to wifi only. Since I'm jailbroken I'll be able to use it over 3g anyway, without suffering any deterioration in the network since a relatively small proportion of iPhone users are hip to jb, let alone the voip over 3g extension :)

I have always been hesitant to jailbreak my iPhone but I am definitely game now.

luckylukec

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Does anyone know if I will get better video quality if I have a SlingboxPRO-HD as opposed to the Singbox SOLO? Im just really wondering if it is worth it to spend the extra $140, any help would be great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.