Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lesver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2018
Manhattan, NY
Just picked up the iPhone Smart Battery case for the XS Max. It was working fine last night. I was using it w the case this morning and all of a sudden it shut down on me. Now the phone doesn’t boot/turn on. Its dead!! Wtf!! The smart battery case killed my iPhone!! gotta go to tmobile to get my phone replaced. I’m returning this defective POS CASE!!!

lesver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2018
Manhattan, NY
Fact: Phone was working fine before purchase of case.
Fact: After i bought the “smart Battery case” Phone is now dead!!
2+2 = POS doesn’t work anymore!! Apple quality control hasn’t been great as of late. So stop defending them!!

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
2+2 = POS doesn’t work anymore!! Apple quality control has been great as of late. So stop defending them!!
Like I said, you have no actual proof the new case is the cause of your phone not turning on. All you have is logical fallacy. For all you know, your phone could have experienced a hardware failure of some kind that had nothing to do with the case.

If you want facts, take the phone to the Apple store, so they can run diagnostics to determine the cause of the failure.

lesver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2018
Manhattan, NY
Even if the case is the cause, Apple will never admit it. They’re allergic to the word “recall”.
Yeah, definitely going to get my iPhone replaced. I won’t be buying another smart case that’s for sure.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Even if the case is the cause, Apple will never admit it. They’re allergic to the word “recall”.
Yeah, definitely going to get my iPhone replaced. I won’t be buying another smart case that’s for sure.
What is the point of buying Apple products if you don't believe Apple will treat you fairly? And more importantly, what is the point of creating a thread like this, if you aren't going to even try to find out the actual case of failure? Did you try DFU mode?

If there was a actual problem with the case, it would be prudent to give Apple the opportunity for review, instead of blaming Apple for something you didn't even bother making them aware of. Would you like to be blamed for something you had no knowledge of, much less the opportunity to address?

You are posting with emotion instead of with facts. Oil and water.

lesver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2018
Manhattan, NY
I didn’t post here to attack anyone. I posted here just to warn people about the new case and my experience. Don’t be so defensive. I like apple products too. They should be a more transparent company and be truthful w the public. Admit your mistakes and become a better company. That’s all. I’ll be on my way to the apple store later today no doubt. This just happened this morning.
P.S the phone is DEAD. NO DFU, no nothing.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I didn’t post here to attack anyone. I posted here just to warn people about the new case and my experience. Don’t be so defensive. I like apple products too. They should be a more transparent company and be truthful w the public. Admit your mistakes and become a better company. That’s all.
If you aren't going to make them aware and get some actual facts, this thread is useless.

I am not defensive. I merely pointed out that you have no right to bash Apple about this problem, at least at this moment in time.

If you want the truth about why your phone is dead, have Apple run tests on the phone. It could be the case is perfectly fine.

Even though this is a rumor named site, it is not a good idea to throw textual darts in a dark room, while telling the reader you hit the bullseye every time.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams during the Boston Massacre trial

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
2+2 = POS doesn’t work anymore!! Apple quality control hasn’t been great as of late. So stop defending them!!

It might have had some other issue that just then became so bad that it broke down. Nothing is proven, anybody can only guess at this stage.

Reactions: slippery-pete

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I didn’t post here to attack anyone. I posted here just to warn people about the new case and my experience. Don’t be so defensive. I like apple products too. They should be a more transparent company and be truthful w the public. Admit your mistakes and become a better company. That’s all. I’ll be on my way to the apple store later today no doubt. This just happened this morning.
Except you jumped to a conclusion without the facts to back it up. Maybe your max would have rolled over anyway. You don’t know until you get the phone diagnosed.

Various other threads point to satisfied consumers and it doesn’t seem likely Apple would release a defective product.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018

I hate the state of Apple at the moment but come on man, a defective battery case in a mass produced product and they gotta admit mistakes?

You want apples PR team to write a ****ing blog about your misfortune on their website as an apology?

Go to the Apple store, explain what happened and they’ll forward info to the engineering team. It’s not that hard. It’s an electronic. They fail hundred times per day.

Grow up

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Correlation does not equate to causation.

Attachments

• 99F7054F-24ED-447D-BA69-B1250F4B28E4.jpeg
    99F7054F-24ED-447D-BA69-B1250F4B28E4.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 277

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010

They just put themselves in the poor house replacing all those batteries for 29.00, remember.

Please keep us advised how this works out, especially if getting your iPhone to work again is an easy thing.

We're all assuming it was the new Apple engineered battery case that you're talking about. Is that indeed the case?

I'm sorry you're being jumped on. These things need to be reported, in case it's the tip of the iceberg.

Please keep us posted.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
They just put themselves in the poor house replacing all those batteries for 29.00, remember.

Please keep us advised how this works out, especially if getting your iPhone to work again is an easy thing.

We're all assuming it was the new Apple engineered battery case that you're talking about. Is that indeed the case?

I'm sorry you're being jumped on. These things need to be reported, in case it's the tip of the iceberg.

Please keep us posted.
Questions are being asked and rightfully so. Without proper diagnosis op stated a conclusion. Stating “in case it’s the tip of the iceberg” is commonly known as FUD.

Reactions: ericwn

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I have the case and it works perfectly, I’m guessing it was defect battery case, the tests will show that at Apple and I’m betting they will replace the phone if it’s beyond repair. No need to get worked up over it, defects and issues happen and Apple is known to make things right.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
My phone wasn’t turning on before I put the case on, as soon as I slid it on, my phone turned on.

My case fixed my phone!!!! Apple is the best ever.

On a serious note, go to Apple as it’s an Apple problem not a network problem.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Sounds like a defective case. Return it and try another? Assuming that it “killed” your phone is a premature reaction until you actually get this checked out.

Let us know what you find out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.