Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Just picked up the iPhone Smart Battery case for the XS Max. It was working fine last night. I was using it w the case this morning and all of a sudden it shut down on me. Now the phone doesn’t boot/turn on. Its dead!! Wtf!! The smart battery case killed my iPhone!! gotta go to tmobile to get my phone replaced. I’m returning this defective POS CASE!!!

Phone also worked fine before you went to sleep. Sleep or night could have broken it. Someone else had a max stop working one night...this was long before the battery case came out. It would have been anything. Sorry your phone broke. My battery and case and phone are doing fine so far.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I didn’t post here to attack anyone. I posted here just to warn people about the new case and my experience. Don’t be so defensive. I like apple products too. They should be a more transparent company and be truthful w the public. Admit your mistakes and become a better company. That’s all. I’ll be on my way to the apple store later today no doubt. This just happened this morning.
P.S the phone is DEAD. NO DFU, no nothing.

And that has happened to other people without battery cases. You can stop at a gas station...with a running car. Put gas in it...and then start it and have it not start. You could say it is definitively the gas...but there are also a hundred other reasons the car might not start. You have a hunch it was the case but we have zero proof of this. I don’t think Apple transparency is at play here. The case just came out. We have no idea if this has happened to anyone else.

lesver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2018
Manhattan, NY
So my phone finally booted and started working after leaving it plugged in the wall outlet w case attached. The case is fully charged but I noticed the battery on the iPhone had depleted to 0 and started charging once again.
I’m going to exchange the case. But phone is back up.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and I7guy

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Fact: Phone was working fine before purchase of case.
Fact: After i bought the “smart Battery case” Phone is now dead!!
2+2 = POS doesn’t work anymore!! Apple quality control hasn’t been great as of late. So stop defending them!!

Correlation does not always equal causation.

I hope things work out for you.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I didn’t post here to attack anyone. I posted here just to warn people about the new case and my experience. Don’t be so defensive. I like apple products too. They should be a more transparent company and be truthful w the public. Admit your mistakes and become a better company. That’s all. I’ll be on my way to the apple store later today no doubt. This just happened this morning.
P.S the phone is DEAD. NO DFU, no nothing.
Actually, you’re the one being defensive in a public Internet forum just because someone questioned your claim.
Instead of being angry and defensive, bring your phone to Apple.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
So my phone finally booted and started working after leaving it plugged in the wall outlet w case attached. The case is fully charged but I noticed the battery on the iPhone had depleted to 0 and started charging once again.
So the headlines "Battery case killed my phone" was a bit harsh?

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Did you put the case on your phone straight out the box without charging it?

These cases are shipped with 0% charge. If you did do this, you have mistakenly thought the case was charging your phone and have let your iPhone completely die, which would explain it appearing “dead” and only turning on after being plugged in for a short while.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Don’t think the case is faulty. Just that the battery inside the case shipped with no charge.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

CosmicRichy

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
Australia
I was actually going to post a serious reply and ask a few questions to try and help until I got to the 2nd page of this thread. Did I really just read that you thought your case killed your phone but it was actually due to the case and phone having 0% battery hence why it wouldn’t turn on? Wow.... just, wow.

(FYI these new cases come with 0%-1% battery out of the box, apparently due to shipping laws.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.