Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
This would be great for when I run to the gym. I hate having to carry my wallet along to ensure I have my license and a method of payment just in case. An Apple Pay and digital license along with my podcasts on my phone is all I hope I need in the future.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Issue would be when the cop asked for your Licence and your battery is dead.

Another issue that I'm sure will eventually come up is what rights does a cop have when you hand him your phone as far as discovering incriminating evidence on the phone should it pop up. Hopefully the drivers license app will have a way to disable all communications into and out of the phone as well as access to other applications on the phone when the app is open.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Even nicer if my gym just had an app I can use to check in. But the cards also double as locker keys, so unless they replace locks, I still have to carry around a walet

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Agreed. I would use this app anywhere that would take it (restaurants, bars, retailers) when they ask for ID rather than carry a wallet.
But I will never EVER use it for a traffic stop. I will keep my physical license in a pouch in the vehicle for that.

I would do this too. Stores look at my ID for only a few seconds and right in front of me. The cop that pulls me over can take my physical license and take ages to run it while I keep my phone with me.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Here's a question I don't think anyone has asked: what about interstate travel?

When you're pulled over, the cop wants to see your license. What if you get pulled over in say, South Dakota but have an Iowa digital license? Will the SD cop accept it? I know right now they'll accept plastic licenses from other states, but what if you're in a state which doesn't have digital licenses yet?

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Unless he is a complete *******, states are generally somewhat accepting of other state documents.

Currently the Feds are creating a "national" license that can be used across states. If you've renewed in the last 2 years, your license will have a yellow star. Doesn't mean you are special, I already asked. Lol. Just means any state validates your license now.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Another question: couldn't this be very easily faked? Can't I just make a look-alike app that has slightly altered data in it? Or actually, if I jailbreak, can't I just modify the data that the app uses?

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
While I like the idea in terms of getting one step closer to not carrying a wallet, there's no way in hell I'd hand my iPhone over to a cop. Not because I have anything illegal on my phone but because I don't like handing my unlocked phone over to anyone I don't know.

If they made the driver's license accessible from the lock screen without needing to unlock the phone (like the health/identification information screen today), that's the only way I'd consider using a digital driver's license. Iowa's implementation involves a standalone app which would almost certainly require that the phone be unlocked in order to access it so it isn't something I'd care to use.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
With Apple Pay, wallets are becoming less and less needed. Who knows, maybe an Apple Watch extension and have your ID on your wrist!

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
Agreed. I would use this app anywhere that would take it (restaurants, bars, retailers) when they ask for ID rather than carry a wallet.
But I will never EVER use it for a traffic stop. I will keep my physical license in a pouch in the vehicle for that.

Except that (at least in Texas) you're not allowed to have more than one driver's license. My other curiosity would be the general acceptance in other states and at other airports.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Love how when I suggested this a couple months ago a bunch of people jumped on me saying the government wouldn't be open or able to implement it.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Another question: couldn't this be very easily faked? Can't I just make a look-alike app that has slightly altered data in it? Or actually, if I jailbreak, can't I just modify the data that the app uses?

You can also get a physical fake ID, what's your point?

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Think about people being scared about cop taking phone to car for 20 minutes is a good one but think they will think of this and cop will have some sort of scanner that they will walk up to car you show your phone and they scan your digital license and will automatically appear on their computer in their car..

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Actually this is a bit null and void these days... surely they just

Check the registration

and/or

Ask for your address postcode / social security no and a photo details appears on the computer system.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Except that (at least in Texas) you're not allowed to have more than one driver's license. My other curiosity would be the general acceptance in other states and at other airports.

Huh. Did not know that. I have my renewal coming up next year and had planned to ask them for two copies actually. Even so, why would have a digital DL preclude a physical copy? Surely Iowa is planning to allow an indiviidual to carry both as it will be a long long time before EVERYWHERE accepts digital.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Think about people being scared about cop taking phone to car for 20 minutes is a good one but think they will think of this and cop will have some sort of scanner that they will walk up to car you show your phone and they scan your digital license and will automatically appear on their computer in their car..
You think you're so smart, with your most obvious logical answer. Well, I think they're going to forcibly take your code then take your phone unlock it download everything you have and then charge you for something random while planting evidence.

erthquake

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Yes, that could be an issue, but I'm thinking they could implement some kind of lock that only shows your license no matter what you press, and only unlock it with your fingerprint.

Police can require you to use your prints to unlock device, just like they can print you at a police station. However, they can't require you to give up your passcode as that would be considered self-incrimination.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Then you can be arrested for that crime, too.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Police can require you to use your prints to unlock device, just like they can print you at a police station. However, they can't require you to give up your passcode as that would be considered self-incrimination.

Yup! Just like they can forcibly take your DNA by court order they can do the same to unlock your phone via fingerprint. However, a code you keep in mind is considered self-incrimentating so they cannot force you to unlock a phone that way. I say, if you think you might be arrested, press power + home button for a few seconds and whallaa. no more finger print unlocking until you use your code.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
So now you're unlocking your phone and giving it to an officer so rules on searches and seizures don't apply. Sign me up!

This needs to be implemented into the Passport App so the phone doesn't have to be unlocked. Then the Officer can just also scan the barcode. Then they could open a limited API so that bars could also use this to see if someone was underage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.