Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
^ i have had the window closed and even then it doesn't always make the noise. Either way it should make the noise no matter what like it always did. its obviously a bug.

thecellar

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
i have noticed delayed sound notification on my emails. I'll check new emails, they'll appear, i'll open & look at them then ill get a sound notification.

risenshine85

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
i have noticed delayed sound notification on my emails. I'll check new emails, they'll appear, i'll open & look at them then ill get a sound notification.

I second that!
Same here.. I tried to figure out if this issue had to do with me being on wifi as suppose to being on 3g.. but as it turns out..it happens both on wifi and 3g

phone wont vibrate or make a sound... even though badge # shows that you have new emails.. weird

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
hmm i know for aim i had the push come through and it vibrated, but no noise. must be an alert thing.

kristinaishere

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
FL
I have this problem with email messages also- it happens sporatically whether I am on wifi, 3G or edge.

My phone will vibrate but won't make any noise. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to be annoying.

I have the white 16gig 3G S.

Volume also goes out sporatically when I'm watching videos on the phone. When this happens I have to reload the video; happens both on videos I've taken and watch through camera roll and videos watched on YouTube.

CougarKid

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Just got my iPhone 3GS this week, as did my girlfriend, and we're both having the problem. She noticed that the phone was only vibrating when she received text messages. Hopefully this bug is fixed with 3.1.

cewagner

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
I'm glad I found this thread and I'm not the only person having this problem. I have the 32GB 3Gs and my text alerts are intermittent as well. I did report the problem to apple. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i think its not only text alerts, but also aim push alerts, but im not sure. it is really annoying. we all need to report it to apple so they make sure to fix it. i think the report link is on this thread somewhere

status after the new 3.1 beta 2...

seriously not always having the sound going off is getting to me. they better fix this. has anyone reported it besides me?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This thread has been closed because of abuse of forum rules by the original poster. Thanks for your understanding. Rules are always available for review by clicking on faq/rules in the upper left of any forum page.

EDIT: Re-opened per agreement; no thread bumping this time, please.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
SMS alert doesn't always go off?

I know since 3.0 people have been bugged by this. the sms alert wont always go off. for Ex. your texting someone and it makes the alert sound. they respond back and the text shows up and the phone vibrates, but no sound. then they text u back again and then it goes off. and it does this randomly.

another funny thing is that it will make noise when the time passes that it has to alert you again that you have an sms, so idk why it does that. I been over this with people before. Its not my phone, because i had restored it as brand new and i never had this problem before 3.0

anyone know if 3.1 fixes this. aka the betas?

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I know since 3.0 people have been bugged by this. the sms alert wont always go off. for Ex. your texting someone and it makes the alert sound. they respond back and the text shows up and the phone vibrates, but no sound. then they text u back again and then it goes off. and it does this randomly.

another funny thing is that it will make noise when the time passes that it has to alert you again that you have an sms, so idk why it does that. I been over this with people before. Its not my phone, because i had restored it as brand new and i never had this problem before 3.0

anyone know if 3.1 fixes this. aka the betas?

I know that in 3.1 beta it works flawlessly with mine... doesn't mean this will be or even is right now universal.

Reclaim3r

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
PA
I had this happen to me for the first time just last night... I'm sitting there and my phone just vibrates like it's on silent (even though it's not) with no ring. Pretty annoyinh :(

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
My 3g did this when it and 2.0 first came out. It was fixed with an update. My 3GS does it now also so I'm sure 3.1 will fix it

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
You dont get the normal message alert when you receive a message if the conversation is still open. Once you've sent a message hit the home button to close the text conversation and reactivate the text alert.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
You dont get the normal message alert when you receive a message if the conversation is still open. Once you've sent a message hit the home button to close the text conversation and reactivate the text alert.

that doesn't always work and that is not how IT should work, so your telling me that i have to exit the sms app after i send a text so that when i get a reply it goes off, because if i don't exit the app and keep the conversation open it wont go off. ... that makes no sense and that isn't how the alerts have worked in the past. its a glitch, because even what your saying doesn't always work.

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I understand your annoyance with this but all I'm saying is that I noticed this and found a way around it. This method has never failed for me since. Hopefully apple will fix it but in the meantime it doesnt break my heart to hit the home button right after texting. Life's too short to be worrying about stuff like this.

sharkync

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
Raleigh
I'm having the same issues in addition to multiple alerts for the same text on occasion. Weird and inconsistent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.