Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
6. Use of root account. Found some obscure issues when a very rare need for root access occurs. With SL "it just worked."

What do you need to run as root from the GUI which can't easily be done with su/sudo from the terminal?

You can run GUI apps from the terminal using the "open" command. To run as root just "su" prior to doing this:
http://osxdaily.com/2007/02/01/how-to-launch-gui-applications-from-the-terminal/

If the need still exists, have you tried Xtrafinder? It is a finder extension that along with a lot of very cool stuff like tabs and dual pane will allow you to "launch as root" in your current user login.

It's completely free and I can't recommend it enough.
http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I've been using Macs since OS 7 in the early 1990s. Lion and Mountain Lion have been the least stable introductions since the switch to OS X (after its beta release).

Just so I have this straight, you're claiming that both Lion and Mountain Lion are less stable than 10.0 and 10.1?

Bye bye credibility...
:rolleyes:

jasimon9

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
What do you need to run as root from the GUI which can't easily be done with su/sudo from the terminal?

You can run GUI apps from the terminal using the "open" command. To run as root just "su" prior to doing this:
http://osxdaily.com/2007/02/01/how-to-launch-gui-applications-from-the-terminal/

If the need still exists, have you tried Xtrafinder? It is a finder extension that along with a lot of very cool stuff like tabs and dual pane will allow you to "launch as root" in your current user login.

It's completely free and I can't recommend it enough.
http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/

When I said "obscure", it was not your normal issue. It was after a perfect storm of failure in Time Machine backup of FileVault account (not FileVault2 in which this would not have occurred) and not having logged out recently from the account so that it would be backed up. What happened was the entire account was lost on my Mac, plus completely gone from the Time Machine too. Major tale of woe.

In any case, the root access was used in a special account, to try to go into terminal and look around in the raw Time Machine volumes, to see if there was any trace of the lost account that might show up to root while not otherwise. This was all done, btw, while on the phone with AppleCare.

Normally root access is not needed, I agree. Probably have not used it since then on my Mac.

However, I do need root access frequently on my company's FreeBSD servers for routine workflows. In fact as I type this, I am killing time waiting for just one of those procedures. But in that world, sudo is heavily frowned upon by our sysadmins. And again it is a different world. Just mentioned this part to point out I am not a stranger to root.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I'm calling FUD on this one, there is no reason whatsoever for software written for OS X 10.8 not to be 100% compatible on OS X 10.6.8. None whatsoever.

Wishing for a thing does not make it so. What the other poster described is already fact for quite a few software products some of us are trying to run. Granted, most of them are smaller utility type apps at this point, but still.
Just the other day I was planning to install EventScripts on my old Macbook that's used as a media server. Alas, no dice. 10.7-only.

shot.png

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
Wishing for a thing does not make it so. What the other poster described is already fact for quite a few software products some of us are trying to run. Granted, most of them are smaller utility type apps at this point, but still.
Just the other day I was planning to install EventScripts on my old Macbook that's used as a media server. Alas, no dice. 10.7-only.

Indications of problems with Adobe products, for example, here:

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy

I really love Apple and I am a real Macintosh addict, but what I don't get, that in the past you could use "old" software as long as you wanted.
But today I have to save every app in advance. Apple could easily offer app versions which are compatible for example with 10.6 (and in the future 10.7 and so on).

We don't talk about a system that is 5+ years old. Just 1 month after the release of OS X 10.7 the first programs didn't worked.
If I had purchased iWork and my Mac crashes tomorrow (without an App-Backup), I have to buy a new OS to re-download iWork.

I don't think that 10.7 and 10.8 are that bad compared to 10.6, but at the moment I don't need them. I need my bullet proved system, no iCloud, Expose and Front Row.
So in the case that my system dies suddenly, I don't want to be forced to buy a new OS. I safe all my apps, but sometimes you don't have a backup and than it would be nice to have a Plan B -> running version of the app waiting in the App Store.

PS: Same is true for iOS. I can't use an older Skype or whatever version of an app? I am forced to update.
That's not ok.

Dewdman42

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
count me as another that will stay on SL for as long as possible. Yes, eventually I will be forced to upgrade, but we are still a long ways off from that day and I am hoping actually that I will not have to upgrade until I actually upgrade my computer. I have tried Lion and ML, and both were complete dissapointments. I see no reason to upgrade. There are work arounds to get iCal working iCloud, yea ok maybe a few little features of ML would be nice, but "more" things lost from SL that I don't want to live without, not to mention that I noticed worse performance and had network and other problems immediately.

No.... There is no reason.

By the way I'm still running XP on my crusty old PC too hahaha

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Sorry but he has a point. Most everything people dislike in Lion, feature wise, is till there in Mountain Lion and going forward. So, yes, enjoy living in the past.

What "people"? The most vocal people are the people that complain. Yes, some "people" don't like a variety of new or changed features. Do those people make up a majority? Highly unlikely.....

S-

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
http://roaringapps.com/app:4956

Issues with creating image previews when saving to a network volume. Can't copy-paste objects from Illustrator CS5.

Can't say it's a big problem.

CS4 has green ticks.

http://roaringapps.com/app:5187

Regarding CS5, that still leaves InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat. I believe most or all are listed as problematic.

My concern is that I consider running the newest version of Dragon Dictate, which requires Mountain Lion. I can't afford the newest version of the CS. I don't want to install Mountain Lion and not be able to run my Adobe applications.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
What "people"? The most vocal people are the people that complain. Yes, some "people" don't like a variety of new or changed features. Do those people make up a majority? Highly unlikely.....

S-

The people that complained and got Apple to return some of the functions of SL, like:
Some of Expose's features,
"Save As..." at least as a key stroke,
etc.

But, the job isn't complete. We still need:
The choice of a grid based Spaces,
A Full-Screen mode that doesn't make a 2nd monitor nearly useless,
"Save As..." fully returned,
etc.

Newer doesn't mean better for all, and just accepting what Apple gives us doesn't make things better.

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
I am very new to OS-X so I can't comment on comparisons but have just one question...why no workspace switcher on the dock? I have been running Linux for years and use the compiz workspace switcher on my Linux machine. I am very happy with everything else though although I do have a lot to learn ;)

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I am very new to OS-X so I can't comment on comparisons but have just one question...why no workspace switcher on the dock? I have been running Linux for years and use the compiz workspace switcher on my Linux machine. I am very happy with everything else though although I do have a lot to learn ;)

Macs have never had a Spaces switcher in the Dock, but in Snow Leopard(10.6) there was a switcher in the menu bar which was apparently removed in Lion(10.7).

If you're interested, the following video I found shows what Spaces is like in Snow leopard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJPJCeDu8xs

Last edited:

Platskies

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
NSW, Australia
I'm calling FUD on this one, there is no reason whatsoever for software written for OS X 10.8 not to be 100% compatible on OS X 10.6.8. None whatsoever.

As for iCloud, the alternatives are so much better that it has been a moot point for quite a bit of time now.
It's not just all of the features on Apple's website you hear about, it's the new developer APIs that make certain things easier. For example, GLKit (introduced in 10.7) makes it easier to write games and other 3D software.

Supporting applications on lower platforms consequently takes more work, and depending on the target user-base, may not be necessary.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Just so I have this straight, you're claiming that both Lion and Mountain Lion are less stable than 10.0 and 10.1?

Bye bye credibility...
:rolleyes:

Roll your "eyes" all you want. Since you selectively quoted what I referred to, the credibility issue rests with you. I've never had a Mac just shut down while running, except with ML. That is the ultimate in instability. The software was using all 12 cores/24 virtual cores of my Mac Pro, moving through 400 gigabases of DNA sequences to identify genes (which takes a couple of months to complete) and the computer shut down after about an hour. Restarted, relaunched the software and it happened again within an hour. I had to limit the software to 12 virtual cores for the computer to be stable which, of course, nearly doubled the amount of time required to go through those 400 gigabases. This didn't occur in Snow Leopard or Lion. Whether it's the software or ML doesn't matter - ML should have trapped and isolated the error; it sure as hell shouldn't just shut down the computer. I once had a Mac Mini spontaneously restart, but that was due to a faulty SO-DIMM from OWC. Once it was replaced, all was good. That was either Leopard or Snow Leopard.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
BIG NEWS! Apple is selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99!

Need access to Rosetta in Lion or Mountain Lion?

Apple is now selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping; call 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753).

Snow Leopard Server will easily install into Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.